Author Topic: Halloween Postcards 2012  (Read 104080 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
RE: Halloween Postcards 2012
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
New Halloween Comic and Halloween Binder at the Topps site. But the comic says sold out and it's the first time I've even seen it.

Wait, what? Seems odd to include only 9 pocket pages in the Halloween binder when these are for postcard sets.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
Wait, what? Seems odd to include only 9 pocket pages in the Halloween binder when these are for postcard sets.
i hear you. That's not just odd, that's getting the shaft. Topps, fix this. For $20 we deserve the right pages.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
Does anyone remember how much you have to spend with Topps to get the free shipping?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Does anyone remember how much you have to spend with Topps to get the free shipping?
the banner ad in the shopping cart says ups shipping is free for over $50

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:57 AM »
the banner ad in the shopping cart says ups shipping is free for over $50
Cool. Thanks.
I looked, but couldn't find it. I must be getting old.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:28 AM »
Cool. Thanks.
I looked, but couldn't find it. I must be getting old.

Nah, just Wacky-er. I miss that kinda stuff all the time.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
Nah, just Wacky-er. I miss that kinda stuff all the time.
yeah, it used to be on the front page, and maybe even every page. No digging or searching required.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
The Comic Book #2 is gone now. Instead of saying "sold out" it is completely removed. Guess I'll have to go read that post that Neil was referring to.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
The Comic Book #2 is gone now. Instead of saying "sold out" it is completely removed. Guess I'll have to go read that post that Neil was referring to.

I am wondering if they put items out there marked out of stock to test a new web page and/or item listing, then pull it completely until they are ready to deploy tonight when the sale starts. 

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
I am wondering if they put items out there marked out of stock to test a new web page and/or item listing, then pull it completely until they are ready to deploy tonight when the sale starts. 
That is also my guess.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »

Please note, the new Halloween binders do NOT include any pocket pages.

On another note, it's about 4:30 pm (eastern) - just 7.5 hours until the Midnight sale begins!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
On another note, it's about 4:30 pm (eastern) - just 7.5 hours until the Midnight sale begins!
LOL, or to make Patrick feel more at home: T-minus 450 minutes and counting.

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
LOL, or to make Patrick feel more at home: T-minus 450 minutes and counting.
sounds good. Just as long as we don't have any launch holds or delays!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
sounds good. Just as long as we don't have any launch holds or delays!

Yikes! What's the weather forecast for Topps' airspace tonight?

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Yikes! What's the weather forecast for Topps' airspace tonight?
weather is looking good, with great visibility at all altitudes.
Although that also makes for good flying conditions for witches. Just need to keep them out of the protected airspace to ensure an on time launch.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »
weather is looking good, with great visibility at all altitudes.
Although that also makes for good flying conditions for witches. Just need to keep them out of the protected airspace to ensure an on time launch.

Especially those flying pumpkins you're pointing at.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
How early is to early to start hitting the refresh button?

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
How early is to early to start hitting the refresh button?
just try not to crash the topps server...

Offline mping82

« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
Hope everyone enjoys the set! From the comments I've read here, no one seems to like pencil sketches, so I inked all of my Halloween ones. Good luck with your pulls!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
Hope everyone enjoys the set! From the comments I've read here, no one seems to like pencil sketches, so I inked all of my Halloween ones. Good luck with your pulls!

Awesome!! Great Job!! HOSS!!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
just try not to crash the topps server...

I heard the Halloween postcards were being flown in by a "Rebell Jet"-LOL.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »

Good move!  To me the pencil sketches have an unfinished look to them and the inked ones are a lot more desirable.  Plus I don't like the fact that the penciled ones could be erased and altered easier on the 2nd hand market. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
Good move!  To me the pencil sketches have an unfinished look to them and the inked ones are a lot more desirable.  Plus I don't like the fact that the penciled ones could be erased and altered easier on the 2nd hand market. 

I have one Simko penciled sketch that I really like because it has the look of an artist's true pencil sketch (lots of circles and ovals to get proportions right). My grandfather was an artist and I recall several sheets in his workshop that had this same look so it's a nostalgic reminder of that. You can also feel the action within the sketch. Definitely one of my favorites. But I have yet to encounter another pencil sketch I would not be interested in.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I have one Simko penciled sketch that I really like because it has the look of an artist's true pencil sketch (lots of circles and ovals to get proportions right). My grandfather was an artist and I recall several sheets in his workshop that had this same look so it's a nostalgic reminder of that. You can also feel the action within the sketch. Definitely one of my favorites. But I have yet to encounter another pencil sketch I would not be interested in.
I love the true pencil sketches and would chose those over almost all other sketches.  The perfectly drawn line art doesn't have appeal to me.  If anyone has pencil sketch art they want to trade, I am up for it.  I will post a scan of what I mean if "pencil" sketch is too vague.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
I love the true pencil sketches and would chose those over almost all other sketches.  The perfectly drawn line art doesn't have appeal to me.  If anyone has pencil sketch art they want to trade, I am up for it.  I will post a scan of what I mean if "pencil" sketch is too vague.

That's funny how people can have two totally different opinions of something collectible.  The neater and tighter the better for me.  I think I also like the fact that it takes more skill to do one in pen because there's no margin for error.  With pencil they can just erase and redo the mistake.   

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »
That's funny how people can have two totally different opinions of something collectible.  The neater and tighter the better for me.  I think I also like the fact that it takes more skill to do one in pen because there's no margin for error.  With pencil they can just erase and redo the mistake.   

Keep in mind that oftentimes, with an inked illustration, the pencils were put down first.  Then inked over the top.  After that, you can erase the pencils, and leave the ink intact. 

But certainly, if you're only working from ink, there isn't a lot of margin for error. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
That's funny how people can have two totally different opinions of something collectible.  The neater and tighter the better for me.  I think I also like the fact that it takes more skill to do one in pen because there's no margin for error.  With pencil they can just erase and redo the mistake.  
I am not too concerned in grading how well an artist does in getting their desired result in the first try and whether they need to erase and start again.  I just think true sketches look much more appealing and have some pizazz to them.  Perfectly drawn inked line art is too sterile for my tastes.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
I am not too concerned in grading how well an artist does in getting their desired result in the first try and whether they need to erase and start again.  I just think true sketches look much more appealing and have some pizazz to them.  Perfectly drawn inked line art is too sterile for my tastes.

You think these are too sterile?
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2527.0

Offline bandaches

« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
You think these are too sterile?
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2527.0
Yes, once the novelty of the newness of them wears off, they will blend in with all of the other line art.  I like shading and sketching, not lines.  I like Simko's stuff as he creates shapes with shades and not perfectly drawn single lines.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
Yes, once the novelty of the newness of them wears off, they will blend in with all of the other line art.  I like shading and sketching, not lines.  I like Simko's stuff as he creates shapes with shades and not perfectly drawn single lines.

You can like what you like but these sketches are awesome and I haven't even seen the other artists. I do like some pencil sketches but as the Dr. said they are so faint it's hard to enjoy them. The link I sent of sketches look fantastic regardless of pencil or pen. They are really nice.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »

You can like what you like but these sketches are awesome and I haven't even seen the other artists. I do like some pencil sketches but as the Dr. said they are so faint it's hard to enjoy them. The link I sent of sketches look fantastic regardless of pencil or pen. They are really nice.
I never said these don't look good, I just don't care as much for them as I actually like "Sketches" and that is what these had been peddled to be.  To each his own, none better than the other.  Luckily my tastes are not the desirables so I can get sketches I like for cheap.  One of my most favorite sketches was like $30 and it had sat on ebay for quite some time with no interest.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
I never said these don't look good, I just don't care as much for them as I actually like "Sketches" and that is what these had been peddled to be.  To each his own, none better than the other.  Luckily my tastes are not the desirables so I can get sketches I like for cheap.  One of my most favorite sketches was like $30 and it had sat on ebay for quite some time with no interest.

Great! I'll trade you my pencil sketches for your inked. Did you order any Halloween PCs?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

Should this thread name include "2012" in it so it doesn't get mixed up with other Halloween postcard threads in the future?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
Great! I'll trade you my pencil sketches for your inked. Did you order any Halloween PCs?
Why would I do that?  I prefer series 1-16 stickers over diecuts so that means I should trade you a ratz for Bon Ami?  You must be in sales....

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
Should this thread name include "2012" in it so it doesn't get mixed up with other Halloween postcard threads in the future?

I think so

I've done a few searches lately and it can be confusing to find stuff. At one point, I almost replied in last year's HPC thread because it doesn't have the year either