Author Topic: 1980 re-issue series 2...still in production  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Plan 9

1980 re-issue series 2...still in production
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
There's a seller on ebay named sigoy. Over the last several years he's sold many many series 2 re-issue sets as well as others. Series 2 is supposed to be rare but this guy seems to have an unlimited supply. He's out of Pennsylvania. He must have a pile of uncut sheets that he cut to make these sets. I would think this should bring down the value of series 2 unless there's a way to detect a set that was cut post 1980.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: 1980 re-issue series 2...still in production
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
That brings up an interesting discussion that we had a few years ago regarding the '79 1st series sheets.  It is widely believed that the endless supply of 1st series reprint sheets were intended to be used as premium inserts in Bond Bread.  I think the theory also said that these sheets were printed sometime after the '79 series was sold in packs.  So it would stand to reason that if someone could come up with a legitimate '79 1st series sheet that was not one of the Bond Bread sheets, it should be worth a lot more money.  The trick is trying to distinguish the two.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
That brings up an interesting discussion that we had a few years ago regarding the '79 1st series sheets.  It is widely believed that the endless supply of 1st series reprint sheets were intended to be used as premium inserts in Bond Bread.  I think the theory also said that these sheets were printed sometime after the '79 series was sold in packs.  So it would stand to reason that if someone could come up with a legitimate '79 1st series sheet that was not one of the Bond Bread sheets, it should be worth a lot more money.  The trick is trying to distinguish the two.
Yes, I believe it was Jay Lynch who spotted a difference in the diecutting saying a different cutter was used on the bond bread sheets(deeper or more edgy?).  I don't much about this Sigoy person, seems stupid to cut up sheets, I would think it is more likely they just fell into a stash of series 2 sets for some reason.  I had like 50 series 4 reissue sheets as I bought out the main source for most of the series 4 reissue sheets(a guy on Long Island).  I think I have like 8 left.  These are in steller shape.  What do series 4 reissue sheets sell for these days?  Maybe I should consider just cutting them up if demand is higher for sets as I am trying to free up space in my house and rid all of my exrta uncut sheets.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »
I bought a few Series one sets off Ebay a few months ago and they were perfect.  I am sure that these were cut from the abundant and endless supply of 1979 Series One Sheets.  It it very time consuming and costly to cut these sheets unless you have access to professional equipment.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
I bought a few Series one sets off Ebay a few months ago and they were perfect.  I am sure that these were cut from the abundant and endless supply of 1979 Series One Sheets.  It it very time consuming and costly to cut these sheets unless you have access to professional equipment.

True, and if they aren't cut professionally there will most likely be irregularities with the cuts, creating different sized cards.  I bought a set once that had that issue and I had to replace the whole set.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)