Author Topic: Where's George Wright!?  (Read 26342 times)

Offline Plan 9

Where's George Wright!?
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »
I was looking forward to more Wackys from George Wright in series 7 but he didn't do any. His work is closer to Saunders than just about anybody working on Wackys today. Hey George, you out there?

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Where's George Wright!?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I recently asked a member if George was "here", but he didn't think so. 

Soremel George, are you here?

Does anyone have his e-mail address? Let's let him know he is appreciated.       ;D

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
I was looking forward to more Wackys from George Wright in series 7 but he didn't do any. His work is closer to Saunders than just about anybody working on Wackys today. Hey George, you out there?

Those are some wonderful images. Bring back George!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »

George has some of his own titles that look amazingly like Saunder's work.  If anyone hasn't seen these before check these out..........

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/georgewright/index.html
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:03:21 AM »
I'm a George Wright fan and would love to see some new Wackys from him.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:15:52 AM »
I e-mailed him last week about something unrelated but have not heard from him, which is really not that atypical.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
George has some of his own titles that look amazingly like Saunder's work.  If anyone hasn't seen these before check these out..........

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/georgewright/index.html

Thanks for the link. I think this one looks like it could have been in the original 1-16, probably around series 7-9.
http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/georgewright/pictures/yikeandeek.jpg

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the link. I think this one looks like it could have been in the original 1-16, probably around series 7-9.
http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/georgewright/pictures/yikeandeek.jpg
That totally looks OS. So beautifully simple. Great idea to create two characters for Mike and Ikes. Seems obvious now that I think about it.

I heard back from George today. He may be dropping by the forum and he may be returning to Wackys. He mentioned Tombs was his gag from the postcard series.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:20 AM »
Hello everybody! (so this is where you've all been hiding!)

I recently told another collector that I was going to try and get more involved with Wackys as
a New Year's resolution! As part of that resolution, I logged on to this forum and the first thread
that I saw inquired as to my whereabouts! (cool & creepy all in one!)

I've been on a little hiatus for the last two and a half years due to family issues and a demanding
work schedule. Here's the stripped-down version of what's been happening in our nook of the woods:
My wife and brother-in-law were diagnosed with cancer two days apart from each other in the summer
of 2009. He had an aggressive form of leukemia and my wife had stage three peritoneal cancer. Their mother
basically lost her mind when we told her and she had to be permanently admitted to a nursing home. My
brother-in-law passed away this past May after his battle with leukemia. We are now in the process of
maintaining and selling his house as well as my mother-in-law's home.

Enough of the depressing crap... On a very positive note, my wife is in remission and all of the tumors are gone!
She's responding very well to a trial drug/chemo that she's receiving at Dana-Farber in Boston (that's where we are
as I write this! My work schedule is starting to tame down a little which is helping reduce the stress level some.
All in all, life is good and we have no complaints!

I'm not sure if I'll be doing any Wacky related projects in the near future. If I do, I need to finish some unfinished
projects for some very dear friends on this forum that I had started and stopped over the last few years (you know
who you are!)

It's exciting to see that Wacky Packages are still alive in 2011! Oh yeah, thank you all for the kind comments regarding
some of my past work! (hey Mark, can you add "Hopeless Fruit Fly"? j/k!!!)

Well, technically, I'm supposed to be "working" on my laptop at the hospital today, so I'm going to get back to "work"!

I hope all of you are having a great start to 2011!

Best,
George "Soremel" Wright

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »

I recently told another collector that I was going to try and get more involved with Wackys as
a New Year's resolution! As part of that resolution, I logged on to this forum and the first thread

I've been on a little hiatus for the last two and a half years due to family issues and a demanding
work schedule. Here's the stripped-down version of what's been happening in our nook of the woods:
My wife and brother-in-law were diagnosed with cancer two days apart from each other in the summer
of 2009. He had an aggressive form of leukemia and my wife had stage three peritoneal cancer. Their mother
basically lost her mind when we told her and she had to be permanently admitted to a nursing home. My
brother-in-law passed away this past May after his battle with leukemia. We are now in the process of

Enough of the depressing crap... On a very positive note, my wife is in remission and all of the tumors are gone!
She's responding very well to a trial drug/chemo that she's receiving at Dana-Farber in Boston (that's where we are
as I write this! My work schedule is starting to tame down a little which is helping reduce the stress level some.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing any Wacky related projects in the near future. If I do, I need to finish some unfinished
projects for some very dear friends on this forum that I had started and stopped over the last few years (you know
who you are!)

It's exciting to see that Wacky Packages are still alive in 2011! Oh yeah, thank you all for the kind comments regarding

Well, technically, I'm supposed to be "working" on my laptop at the hospital today, so I'm going to get back to "work"!

Best,
George "Soremel" Wright

Hi George, good to see you on the forum!  I am sorry to hear about all of the health issues in your family but glad to hear your wife is OK.  I hope you stick around here and eventually get back into doing Wacky's.  I love your work!

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »

who you are!)

Best,
George "Soremel" Wright

Hi George,

Good to see you here and glad that your wife is in remission. Sorry to hear about your brother in law.  You have definitely had a lot going on.

I still have the signed prints of Fruit Fly and Stench's mustard framed and on my wall.

Hope to see more of your work soon.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

who you are!)

Best,
George "Soremel" Wright
Good to see you again. g
Very sorry to here about your brother in law. Also very glad your wife if doing well with her treatments.
Excellent.
Waiting to see..............when it is finished. Well I can't say. But I think you remember.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
George is back in town!

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/alturds.jpg[/expando]

My son and I use the word "pooper" a lot! I often call him Pooper, as he is one.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
George is back in town!

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/alturds.jpg[/expando]

My son and I use the word "pooper" a lot! I often call him Pooper, as he is one.
Man I love the way he renders his characters. They're alive. Remember when I spoke earlier about artists matching the original Wacky style? This is what I'm talking about. He does what every Wacky artist should strive for. When you work for Disney, you draw and color in the Disney style. When you When you work for Wacky Packs, you draw and color in the Wacky style.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »
When you work for Wacky Packs, you draw and color in the Wacky style.

I agree completely. The lack of adherence to a Saundersesque "house style" has been the main stumbling block to my enjoyment of ANS.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
George is back in town!

My wife says that I talk about poop WAY too much! It's perfectly healthy, IMO!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
George is back in town!

That's a beautiful Wacky! 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »
Nice to "see" you, George!  And I'm very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's passing
and your wife's battles.

We may have to have a Cape Cod gathering this summer!

Offline Crust

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
Man those are some seriously great wackys!! I really like "Alturds" Glad you are back! George!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »

And let's not forget his amazing concept from the Series 5 postcards, "Tombs" English Muffins! By the way, I completely agree. He's got the Saunders style down to a "T". Super great guy, super great artist!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:18:44 PM by koduck »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
And let's not forget his amazing concept from the Series 5 postcards, "Tombs" English Muffins! By the way, I completely agree. He's got the Saunders style down to a "T". Super great guy, super great artist!

We would love to see George in a future postcard series, if a spot becomes available!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Howdy!

Just re-noticed this thread and figured I'd post an update.

As a few of you already know, I am no longer doing freelance work for Topps. With my 9-5 job, and my wife's chemo treatments, I was not able to meet many crucial deadlines for the Wacky Package projects that I took part in. I hold no resentment toward Topps for letting me go and actually stand by their decision.

It was a lot of fun, and I got to live out one of my childhood fantasies from 1974!

I'm still fully involved in the collector end of Wacky Packages, so I'll still be chiming in on the forum boards. I will also be manning a table at the Spring show (May 4th & 5th) but will not have the Wacky Packages banner on the front of it. (Most likely a banner with a giant copy of my signature on it!) I hope to see a bunch of the forum members there!

Best,
George

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
Howdy!

As a few of you already know, I am no longer doing freelance work for Topps. With my 9-5 job, and my wife's chemo treatments, I was not able to meet many crucial deadlines for the Wacky Package projects that I took part in. I hold no resentment toward Topps for letting me go and actually stand by their decision.

It was a lot of fun, and I got to live out one of my childhood fantasies from 1974!

I'm still fully involved in the collector end of Wacky Packages, so I'll still be chiming in on the forum boards. I will also be manning a table at the Spring show (May 4th & 5th) but will not have the Wacky Packages banner on the front of it. (Most likely a banner with a giant copy of my signature on it!) I hope to see a bunch of the forum members there!

Best,
George

George, that stinks! You had some of the best sketches for OLDS4. I know you got burnt out but maybe you can do around 40 or so for OLDS5. They would be super cool and super rare...LOL
Good luck on your new ventures.

Offline Final Step

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
Howdy!

Best,
George

Hope to go ths year. Somehow I do not have that excitement of the past.
De-Mented Tomatoes on my wife's Final Step sign-in

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
George, I ended up with three of your Wormy Packages sketches and they are stunning.  Thanks for all the great work you did for Wacky Packages.  All of our collections are richer for it.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
George, I ended up with three of your Wormy Packages sketches and they are stunning.  Thanks for all the great work you did for Wacky Packages.  All of our collections are richer for it.

Thanks! I'm glad that someone likes the "worms" LOL! I drew a total of 80 worms (20 each of 4 of the Wormy Package gang) and was sick of looking at them toward the end! The Campy and Dums were my favorite to draw.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
Hope to go ths year. Somehow I do not have that excitement of the past.
De-Mented Tomatoes on my wife's Final Step sign-in

It would be great if you could make it to the Spring Show! I know that most of the hardcore trading goes on at the cafeteria tables, but my offer still stands for anyone wanting to congregate at my table in the venue. I'll be doing some painting & sketching, but mostly talking Wacky Packages and doing some shameless self-promotion!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »
George, that stinks! You had some of the best sketches for OLDS4. I know you got burnt out but maybe you can do around 40 or so for OLDS5. They would be super cool and super rare...LOL
Good luck on your new ventures.

Thanks, Brad! They were fun to do! Unfortunately my OLDS4 offerings were my last for Topps. I'm currently doing some spec work for an underground card company that allows much of the vice-related material that was taboo in the WP realm. It'll be interesting to see where it goes!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
Thanks, Brad! They were fun to do! Unfortunately my OLDS4 offerings were my last for Topps. I'm currently doing some spec work for an underground card company that allows much of the vice-related material that was taboo in the WP realm. It'll be interesting to see where it goes!
Keep us posted on the underground card company offering -- I love "working blue."

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

PORN? Special Hustler subset...HaHa couldn't resist!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
Keep us posted on the underground card company offering -- I love "working blue."

I've found that I have to play Barry White while I'm painting them! :o

Offline Soremel

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
PORN? Special Hustler subset...HaHa couldn't resist!

Not that blue! LOL! (But they do target some old parody favorites, Nick O. Tean and Al K. Hall!)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
Not that blue! LOL! (But they do target some old parody favorites, Nick O. Tean and Al K. Hall!)

I've never heard of these two characters. Cool!

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/NickOTean_zpsed70fe8d.jpg[/expando]

Offline helixbuilder

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
I recently asked a member if George was "here", but he didn't think so. 

Soremel George, are you here?

Does anyone have his e-mail address? Let's let him know he is appreciated.       ;D

Wow How long ago was John's page the goto wacky site?! I remember it fondly!

anything