Author Topic: 2010 a year in review...  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Truant

2010 a year in review...
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
I'm baaack! Anyone miss me?

I need to "catch up" on what happened in the past year (maybe two) in "the hobby". I have been almost totally absent (or tardy, as usual), doing a lot of fishing and cutting class. Actually raising 2 brats that take most of my time is more like it, but I won't bore anyone with those details...

Anyway, so what were the trends of 2010 in the hobby? What's hot and what's not? Who's in and who's MIA? Are people still looking to complete the 1977 series (like me)? What has this "great recession" done to the hobby? I've been busy buying classic italian cars and bargain-basement prices during this time...

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all! No cease and desist letters please...
Skip the lame websites, visit:
http://dt.prohosting.com/70s/

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: 2010 a year in review...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »

Anyway, so what were the trends of 2010 in the hobby? 

Well, to keep it as simple as possible: everyone in the hobby except me is into sketch cards.

Offline Truant

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
Well, to keep it as simple as possible: everyone in the hobby except me is into sketch cards.
That's keeping it simple alright. I'll have to take a look at these sketch cards for myself. I'm sure you already know this, but generally speaking, I'm not interested in much of anything made after 1977. Almost nothing made after 1985. But of course if they have a "retro" appeal, I will have a look.
Skip the lame websites, visit:
http://dt.prohosting.com/70s/

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
Make that two of us
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
That's keeping it simple alright. I'll have to take a look at these sketch cards for myself. I'm sure you already know this, but generally speaking, I'm not interested in much of anything made after 1977. Almost nothing made after 1985. But of course if they have a "retro" appeal, I will have a look.

If you are really talking about vintage collecting at least this forum has been pretty much all post-2004 disussions because there has been so many new releases.  I'm sure the ratio of vintage vs post-2004 will balance out a little more once Topps stops releasing new series.  I collect both so I enjoy topics on both sides.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

I'm not into sketch cards either.  So, that makes two of us.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
Not really into the sketch cards here either!!!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »

The only sketch cards I like are of the classic Wacky characters.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »

I need to "catch up" on what happened in the past year (maybe two) in "the hobby". I have been almost totally absent (or tardy, as usual), doing a lot of fishing and cutting class. Actually raising 2 brats that take most of my time is more like it, but I won't bore anyone with those details...

Anyway, so what were the trends of 2010 in the hobby? What's hot and what's not? Who's in and who's MIA? Are people still looking to complete the 1977 series (like me)? What has this "great recession" done to the hobby? I've been busy buying classic italian cars and bargain-basement prices during this time...

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all! No cease and desist letters please...

Hey Tommy, Good to see your post here, Merry Christmas & Happy 2011 to you as well. Hope to see a lot more of you on here in the new year.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:27 PM »

So what?you show up every 12 months as if you were a ghost? No idea of what is going on?
Welcome back to the forum :great:

I think you need to send the Shoe a few cards for X-Mas :P

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:13 AM »

The only sketch cards I like are of the classic Wacky characters.

I'm the opposite, I totally dislike them redoing Norm Saunder characters. I love new ideas for sketches that are unique to the artist. If I want a Norm Saunder sketch, I'll buy an original painting :great:

Offline Playskull

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 06:12:03 AM »
I like sketch cards for the most part, but I don't quite get the hype.  I usually don't feel the need to own more than one from any given series.  Wackys are all about the sketches now, which is kind of sad.  The sketch bubble will burst some day as more & more of these things flood the market.  What's an Old School Gadzooka teacher going for now?  $25?  I remember when it was selling for $100.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
I like sketch cards for the most part, but I don't quite get the hype.  I usually don't feel the need to own more than one from any given series.  Wackys are all about the sketches now, which is kind of sad.  The sketch bubble will burst some day as more & more of these things flood the market.  What's an Old School Gadzooka teacher going for now?  $25?  I remember when it was selling for $100.

I think you would be lucky to get $25.  I think most of the commons are going for $15 these days.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
I think you would be lucky to get $25.  I think most of the commons are going for $15 these days.

Yup, and when series 2 comes out the hype will create inflated prices and then after a couple months they will trickle down.  That's been the pattern that seems to hold true. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »
Yup, and when series 2 comes out the hype will create inflated prices and then after a couple months they will trickle down.  That's been the pattern that seems to hold true.  

That is because we won't know the hot titles. No one can wait when the series is released so you have to sell high and buy low. Anyone else pull a cow from OLDS? Didn't think so.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 06:11:51 AM »
Anyone else pull a cow from OLDS? Didn't think so.

I did, I pulled one from John Frick's fingers!  

anything