Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893175 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #491 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
BINGO!!!!!!             http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Topps-Wacky-Packages-ANS8-Sketch-Card-Hot-Pack-/230655903369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b429c689

How do these guys know? Couldn't you win it and say it didn't have a sketch?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #492 on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
How do these guys know? Couldn't you win it and say it didn't have a sketch?

Your guess is as good as mine. Is there some way to question Topps about this whole thing? I mean its does directly involve Topps' sales. Why buy the cow when you can get the silver, gold and sketch milk for free?

Just to prove its hurting sales...went to another Target today, bought the 2 bonus boxes, counted 42 gravity feed packs and put them back, they were obviously picked over, all were thown back in the box.  I will NOT buy from a gravity feed unless they are all there. ( same thing happened at 1 wal-mart )

And about saying there was no sketch, well if he "knows" its in there, he KNOWS its in there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:57:05 PM by lucidjc »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: August 03, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »

Your guess is as good as mine. Is there some way to question Topps about this whole thing? I mean its does directly involve Topps' sales. Why buy the cow when you can get the silver, gold and sketch milk for free?

Just to prove its hurting sales...went to another Target today, bought the 2 bonus boxes, counted 42 gravity feed packs and put them back, they were obviously picked over, all were thown back in the box.  I will NOT buy from a gravity feed unless they are all there. ( same thing happened at 1 wal-mart )

And about saying there was no sketch, well if he "knows" its in there, he KNOWS its in there.

I've tried to look through the packs but you have to see through the front and it's all blue so you can't see through it. Maybe I need to use a brighter light. I've never tried it in a store.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
I'm 4 for 4 on bag tags just by looking at the thicker packs.  That guy only sells hot packs, and i saw an unopened box of something for auction. How could anyone bid on it knowing he picks the good stuff out. This is what i was talking about a few posts back. These guys not only know the packs but the boxes also. Where is this guys swill??? The other packs from the HOT boxes???

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #495 on: August 03, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
Check this guy out...http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS-8-1-1-Artist-Sketch-TOM-BUNK-/320738424023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad7ff4d7

Its only my opinion, but i believe that this guys other auctions for hot packs would only contain silver. This guy is picking the sketches out also.  HOW TOPPS??? HOW   This shit has got to stop!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #496 on: August 03, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
It's not something low-tech like the weight of a pack? Something that would differ on a sensitive digital scale (like fractions of a gram)?

Or perhaps if someone got to the gravity feed when they were still stacked (undisturbed) and they knew the magic fill pattern.

I for one (as I mentioned before) am a big fan of randomization, at least to the point of randomizing at the case level. This would prevent the problem.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #497 on: August 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AM »
This is just off the cuff, but on topic as NUTS!  I know every auction has low bidders, but in the big picture does this clown really think he was going to get this sketch for $12.63?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS8-TOM-BUNK-SKETCH-CARD-/120757848063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1dba87ff

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #498 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »
This is just off the cuff, but on topic as NUTS!  I know every auction has low bidders, but in the big picture does this clown really think he was going to get this sketch for $12.63?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS8-TOM-BUNK-SKETCH-CARD-/120757848063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1dba87ff

Guess not... its already $102.51 when I looked this morning at 6am Eastern.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #499 on: August 04, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »

I've noticed some people put in small bids on stuff they like. This way they can follow the auction through the my bids section of eBay. You can just watch an auction but then you have to look at 2 places all the time so I suspect some people think this route is easier.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #500 on: August 04, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
I've noticed some people put in small bids on stuff they like. This way they can follow the auction through the my bids section of eBay. You can just watch an auction but then you have to look at 2 places all the time so I suspect some people think this route is easier.

I've also been inclined to put in a nominal bid on something I want just to help discourage the seller from doing a side deal off of ebay.  I know it's no guarantee but it does help with some sellers. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #501 on: August 04, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »
I've also been inclined to put in a nominal bid on something I want just to help discourage the seller from doing a side deal off of ebay.  I know it's no guarantee but it does help with some sellers. 
The problem in doing that is the seller has no idea what your actual bid is. If he starts the auction at $.99 it will only show your bid of $.99 so he could pull it regardless.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #502 on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »
The problem in doing that is the seller has no idea what your actual bid is. If he starts the auction at $.99 it will only show your bid of $.99 so he could pull it regardless.

That's true but that isn't really my mindset on it.  I figure other sellers are like me and are more likely to pull down an auction if there are no bids on it.  I personally won't pull an auction down if there are bids on it, but I have done it occasionally if there are no bids.  At least that way if I get emails afterwards asking me what happened to the auction I can say that I didn't think there was much interest because there were no bids.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #504 on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Series-8-Bonus-Sticker-Maximum-Security-/160630362227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256650d073
I am going to track this auction thru the feedback stage to see if it is sham or if there really are people out there stupid enough to bid that high on a common card.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #505 on: August 05, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »
I am going to track this auction thru the feedback stage to see if it is sham or if there really are people out there stupid enough to bid that high on a common card.
That 23 rated bidder sure wants to see this auction go high....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #506 on: August 05, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »

Maybe they think it's the whole box their getting?

Offline isearch

« Reply #507 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
Sketches are easy to search for you just have to know what to look for. The golds are almost impossible but I hear there is a guy that may have them figured out. Most of the golds come in the same pack as a regular flash foil so that would make that the heavist pack besides magnets and tags.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #508 on: August 06, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
Sketches are easy to search for you just have to know what to look for. The golds are almost impossible but I hear there is a guy that may have them figured out. Most of the golds come in the same pack as a regular flash foil so that would make that the heavist pack besides magnets and tags.
Do tell... what do we have to look for?  I am now running under the guise of "If you can't beat them then join them"

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #509 on: August 06, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
Isn't this pricing a tad ambitious?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-Wacky-Packages-1st-Series-WAX-PACK-WRAPPER-21-/400233933198?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1872383998965108990

Last time I checked these wrappers are worth about $20 max. I guess calling it a 1st series wrapper (rather than a 2nd or 3rd, which it could just as easily be) makes it worth more.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: August 06, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
Isn't this pricing a tad ambitious?

Last time I checked these wrappers are worth about $20 max. I guess calling it a 1st series wrapper (rather than a 2nd or 3rd, which it could just as easily be) makes it worth more.
I saw that one and also his UK wrapper for $222.
ambitious is a good word for it.
he's willing to take offers though
http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-Wacky-Packages-UK-1st-Series-WAX-PACK-WRAPPER-nm-/400233935950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2fcd344e#ht_500wt_788

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #511 on: August 06, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
Do tell... what do we have to look for?  I am now running under the guise of "If you can't beat them then join them"
Need to mow today but its drizzling here in Central Indiana so I had some time to kill.

I didn't weigh packs as I was opening them so did a little experiment. I have a digital postage meter (on the cheap end). Previously, I posted the repeating pattern of 6 packs that I found when opening my boxes. So I weighed the various pack combinations using just the cards, as I have opened all my packs. For each combination shown below, I weighed multiple times using different cards but results where consistant. So here were the results on a cheap postage meter in grams:

16 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Pack to the Future combination
   17 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Magnet combination
   16 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie combination
   15 grams = 6 base cards - Sliver border - Pack to the Future combination
   17 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Lenticular Tag combination
   15 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie combination

So the real item of interest is that in the pack I opened with the sketch card... the sketch card was an additional card in one of the 6 base cards - Sliver border - Pack to the Future combination. This combination weighs 18 grams.

Unless you were to run into some odd combination that wasn't planned , with something like two magnets in one pack,or 3 extra base cards (which I didn't when opening 8 boxes of packs),  
clearly the heaviest packs should contain a sketch card.  I can see how this helps if you are at home opening packs but is someone really going to take a scale into Walmart or Target? If so, they are more desperate than I.

My gold border card I opened came in one of the 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie packs and replaced the pink border card. Weight was no different than the normal pack.

Conclusions:
* Sketch cards can be determined by pack weight

* Silver border, tags and magnets can be predicted by the pack content pattern if you know
 where you are at in the pattern (by openening the first two packs in a box stack).

* I have no idea how gold border cards can be predicted. I know where the one I found was in the pattern order. Perhaps a certain box in each case contains one? Don't know. I only have the 1 case/8 box data set to go by. If any benefactor would like to contribute more cases to my research, please feel free to contact me.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:38:27 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #512 on: August 06, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Need to mow today but its drizzling here in Central Indiana so I had some time to kill.

I didn't weigh packs as I was opening them so did a little experiment. I have a digital postage meter (on the cheap end). Previously, I posted the repeating pattern of 6 packs that I found when opening my boxes. So I weighed the various pack combinations using just the cards, as I have opened all my packs. For each combination shown below, I weighed multiple times using different cards but results where consistant. So here were the results on a cheap postage meter in grams:

16 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Pack to the Future combination
   17 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Magnet combination
   16 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie combination
   15 grams = 6 base cards - Sliver border - Pack to the Future combination
   17 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Lenticular Tag combination
   15 grams = 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie combination

So the real item of interest is that in the pack I opened with the sketch card... the sketch card was an additional card in one of the 6 base cards - Sliver border - Pack to the Future combination. This combination weighs 18 grams.

Unless you were to run into some odd combination that wasn't planned , with something like two magnets in one pack,or 3 extra base cards (which I didn't when opening 8 boxes of packs),  
clearly the heaviest packs should contain a sketch card.  I can see how this helps if you are at home opening packs but is someone really going to take a scale into Walmart or Target? If so, they are more desperate than I.

My gold border card I opened came in one of the 6 base cards - Pink border - Movie packs and replaced the pink border card. Weight was no different than the normal pack.

Conclusions:
* Sketch cards can be determined by pack weight

* Silver border, tags and magnets can be predicted by the pack content pattern if you know
 where you are at in the pattern (by openening the first pack in a box stack).

* I have no idea how gold border cards can be predicted. I know where the one I found was in the pattern order. Perhaps a certain box in each case contains one? Don't know. I only have the 1 case/8 box data set to go by. If any benefactor would like to contribute more cases to my research, please feel free to contact me.   ;D

Good work detective!  I wonder if that's the technique that seller used for "hot" sketch packs.  I assumed he had a way to find both golds and sketches using the same technique, but maybe he weighs for the sketches and uses some other method for the golds/flashes.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #513 on: August 06, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
Good work detective!  I wonder if that's the technique that seller used for "hot" sketch packs.  I assumed he had a way to find both golds and sketches using the same technique, but maybe he weighs for the sketches and uses some other method for the golds/flashes.

I guess what I don't understand is if I can tell what packs contain (or have a high probability of containing) a sketch card, why wouldn't I just open it. Am I betting I can make more money selling a speculative hot pack than selling a known sketch? Seems I would be someone with no interest in sketch cards for myself and am merely "rolling over" hot packs to make some quick big bucks. But one would have to buy cases and cases for this to be a valid strategy. I guess I don't get it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:28 AM »
I guess what I don't understand is if I can tell what packs contain (or have a high probability of containing) a sketch card, why wouldn't I just open it. Am I betting I can make more money selling a speculative hot pack than selling a known sketch? Seems I would be someone with no interest in sketch cards for myself and am merely "rolling over" hot packs to make some quick big bucks. But one would have to buy cases and cases for this to be a valid strategy. I guess I don't get it.

I think people looking for a quick profit are searching gravity feeds and pulling out one or two packs to buy and then take home for closer scrutiny.  I probably had zero chance of pulling a sketch out of any of the $200 worth of packs I bought, which annoys the hell out of me.

I don't want to buy individual boxes anymore, since case searchers sell whatever boxes are left in a case after they pull a sketch or gold.  I will no longer buy more than a pack or two just for fun from an open box in a store.  That leaves bonus boxes and blisters, and while I figure those are 'unsearched' at Target, I wouldn't assume that anymore on ebay.

I'm finding this hobby to be less and less fun thanks to all these super scarce inserts, including ANS golds and sketch cards, and some of the crazy stuff with postcard sketch cards.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #515 on: August 07, 2011, 08:00:30 AM »

If I remember the exchange of emails I had with the seller, he doesn't collect them and even know too much about them, so he's probably just taking the easiest route doing it that way.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
I'm finding this hobby to be less and less fun thanks to all these super scarce inserts, including ANS golds and sketch cards, and some of the crazy stuff with postcard sketch cards.

I've already been there for a while.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #517 on: August 07, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
I've already been there for a while.

I do still love the new Wackys themselves, but the collecting aspect has become a bummer for me.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #518 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
Afraid I am with you guys. After ANS7, I am sitting on the sidelines for ANS8 and only collecting the cards I want after-the-fact.

If I see a bonus box at Wal-Mart or Target I will likely but one to get at least one pack "in the wild", but I'm not doing gravity feeds (I feel like they've been searched by expert thieves) and I'm completely ignoring the red/silver/gold borders and sketches this time around. Also for the first time with ANS, I am debating not collecting at least one set of the bonus cards -- will just have to wait and see.

Right now I am really liking the Pack to the Future (especially) and Go to the Movies subsets -- great gags and art (as per another thread), and had to pick up a Cap'n Crud motion card (and will probably get that subset).

The rest can wait for me this time.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
I hate it when people do this....generic listings. how do you ban sellers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Make-Your-Own-8-10-Shot-Wheels-/260833488481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbae32e61

he put up tons of these. Grrrrrrrr

Offline Porkie

« Reply #520 on: August 11, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
I hate it when people do this....generic listings. how do you ban sellers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Make-Your-Own-8-10-Shot-Wheels-/260833488481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbae32e61

he put up tons of these. Grrrrrrrr

You can make a Saved Search with this kind of information in it.

When you do a search, look at the column on the left and go down to "Sellers". There is a small link that says "Specify Sellers...". This brings up a popup with options -- select the radio button that has the "Exclude"/"Include" dropdown. At that point you can select Exclude and do a comma-delimited list of sellers you want to exclude.

When you're done, be sure to Save Search (it's at the end of the line that describes what you are searching for). You can edit this later if you wish.

You can thus exclude words of items you aren't interested in too, for example if you aren't into "Proof" cards or "T-Shirts" or auctions that have "Parodies" (where they say "like Wackys"). That kind of thing.

Hope that helps!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #521 on: August 11, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
You can make a Saved Search with this kind of information in it.

When you do a search, look at the column on the left and go down to "Sellers". There is a small link that says "Specify Sellers...". This brings up a popup with options -- select the radio button that has the "Exclude"/"Include" dropdown. At that point you can select Exclude and do a comma-delimited list of sellers you want to exclude.

When you're done, be sure to Save Search (it's at the end of the line that describes what you are searching for). You can edit this later if you wish.

You can thus exclude words of items you aren't interested in too, for example if you aren't into "Proof" cards or "T-Shirts" or auctions that have "Parodies" (where they say "like Wackys"). That kind of thing.

Hope that helps!

Nice piece of info.  I always wondered if there was a way to do that!

Offline Turbo

« Reply #522 on: August 12, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »

I was at a target and there was only 39 packs left in the gravity feed and the 39 packs were thrown in and looked like someone searched them. I thought the person that searched the packs got the 8 silvers and the 9th pack was a gold or sketch. Well I bought the 39 packs anyways and I'm happy I did. I ended up with 6 silvers, 1 Mark Parisi sketch card and 1 #17 gold border. So whoever searched the packs and only bought 9 packs out of the feed only got 2 silvers. So if you see a gravity that doesn't have all the packs and looks like it was searched thru there still could be a gold or sketch or both. I was shocked that from 39 gravity packs that I pulled a sketch and a gold card.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:26 PM »

I was at a target and there was only 39 packs left in the gravity feed and the 39 packs were thrown in and looked like someone searched them. I thought the person that searched the packs got the 8 silvers and the 9th pack was a gold or sketch. Well I bought the 39 packs anyways and I'm happy I did. I ended up with 6 silvers, 1 Mark Parisi sketch card and 1 #17 gold border. So whoever searched the packs and only bought 9 packs out of the feed only got 2 silvers. So if you see a gravity that doesn't have all the packs and looks like it was searched thru there still could be a gold or sketch or both. I was shocked that from 39 gravity packs that I pulled a sketch and a gold card.

Wow, fantastic luck!  Were the cards moved around in the packs?  The ones I'm seeing have the back two cards slid up high, really to the very top edge of the pack, but separated, and the 6 base cards pushed down to the very bottom of the pack, all pretty much together.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #524 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:58 PM »
Wow, fantastic luck!  Were the cards moved around in the packs?  The ones I'm seeing have the back two cards slid up high, really to the very top edge of the pack, but separated, and the 6 base cards pushed down to the very bottom of the pack, all pretty much together.

This is also what i am seeing. It is much different than kids pulling packs out and shoving them back in. These have been tampered with, a few of the first packs i bought even had a fingernail mark on the pack. The first packs i bought from Wal-mart from the 24 pack feed, 6 packs were missing. There were NO silvers, NO magnets. Does'nt take Sherlock to shit on this one!