Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893037 times)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
i noticed even since i started buyin' them a few years ago that there is WAY more singles and crap to go thru.
it kinda sux when guys are filling whole pages putting up every card in ANS or even OLDS as singles when ya can buy a whole set for near nothing,,i even hate listing my old EX+ singles unless it's a desirable card..just a waste of time

My experience too.

Just figured out how to filter searches by excluding seller ID's. Going to have to add that to my saved search. I am also annoyed by people putting XYZ "like Wacky Packages". Going to have to get medieval with my custom saved search!

P.S. Just put "adam-12!" on my list of excluded sellers. Has 252 Wacky Package listings, mainly ANS and all appear to be using preset photos (like Greg's, etc., with Photoshop shadowing). $9.99 for 12 ANS stickers! What a deal!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:36:16 PM by Ducko »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
My experience too.

Just figured out how to filter searches by excluding seller ID's. Going to have to add that to my saved search. I am also annoyed by people putting XYZ "like Wacky Packages". Going to have to get medieval with my custom saved search!

P.S. Just put "adam-12!" on my list of excluded sellers. Has 252 Wacky Package listings, mainly ANS and all appear to be using preset photos (like Greg's, etc., with Photoshop shadowing). $9.99 for 12 ANS stickers! What a deal!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know you could omit sellers. I know have a very good search engine that brought my count down to 4000 hits instead of 7000. Most are now vintage stuff.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Saw another Grey border Play Doze go up (same seller I think). Wonder how many they have. Don't like it when they imply something is rare and have n more stashed in a bag without saying. Seems a tad deceptive imo.

I saw that Matt Stock was saying on the other forum that he had about five of the silver Play-Doze stickers.  He was trying to play them up as a significant variation, comparing them to a Grime Heavy or a Spic-n-Span.  Personally I still think it is nothing more than a printing error
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
My experience too.

Just figured out how to filter searches by excluding seller ID's. Going to have to add that to my saved search. I am also annoyed by people putting XYZ "like Wacky Packages".

So how do you do that?  I would definitely take advantage of that feature!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
Do an advanced search and towards the bottom you can include or exclude any seller. It took me awhile to find it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I saw that Matt Stock was saying on the other forum that he had about five of the silver Play-Doze stickers.  He was trying to play them up as a significant variation, comparing them to a Grime Heavy or a Spic-n-Span.  Personally I still think it is nothing more than a printing error

It is a printing error. I have 4 of them and the border looks more gray than silver

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

It's definitely buried. I originally asked how it was done in my post because I couldn't figure it out, then I suddenly found it!

It's also quirky to update a search. Do an advanced search, add the terms and/or excluded sellers, etc., but before you do the search again you need to check "Save this search to my Ebay" near the top (awkward when you're updating excluded sellers). A popup appears, and if you want to replace an existing search you have to click the "replace search" link in that popup.

I do UI design work as part of my profession and their search UI is hideous.

I've been adding excluded search terms like "Mask Neg" and "tee shirt" to take care of phrases I don't want to see. Also "Flashback silver" and "Flashback 2 silver". Fun!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
I know what you guys are saying. I did a search for wacky packages today and got 7000 hits. This is obscene. People selling so many individual cards that are worth about $.15 and trying to get $3 for each. I just don't get it. I can understand trying to get people to buy the cards they need to complete their sets but this is getting crazy. Even back around 2005 when Wacky's were going for some big cash there were only about 800 auctions total. It was really easy to stroll through and find the cards you needed. Now it's like everyone is dumping everything trying to make a buck.
I usually limit my search to auctions only if I  do not have a lot of time. Sure you might miss out on a nice BIN deal every now and then, but 99% of all the looney auctions are overpriced BIN's.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
It's definitely buried. I originally asked how it was done in my post because I couldn't figure it out, then I suddenly found it!

It's also quirky to update a search. Do an advanced search, add the terms and/or excluded sellers, etc., but before you do the search again you need to check "Save this search to my Ebay" near the top (awkward when you're updating excluded sellers). A popup appears, and if you want to replace an existing search you have to click the "replace search" link in that popup.

I do UI design work as part of my profession and their search UI is hideous.

I've been adding excluded search terms like "Mask Neg" and "tee shirt" to take care of phrases I don't want to see. Also "Flashback silver" and "Flashback 2 silver". Fun!

I eliminate a ton by typing in "-ans*" and "-flashback*".  That gets rid of anything that has ANS and flashback in the title.  So ANS1, ANS2, ANS3, etc. are all not included in the search.  The minus sign and the * are lifesavers!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
It is a printing error. I have 4 of them and the border looks more gray than silver

Just as an FYI it is definitely an error, but it's not a press density variance or else other titles would have the same issue.  For some reason that title seems to be missing the 5th unit black plate, which goes over the other border colors to get a strong dense black border without making the art too dark. 

Now that I have one and have evaluated it I think it's a legit variation, although more in-line with the "Oddie-Boy" variation.  It's in my "obscure variations" category. 

I call it the "Gray-Doze" border variation!

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
Just as an FYI it is definitely an error, but it's not a press density variance or else other titles would have the same issue.  For some reason that title seems to be missing the 5th unit black plate, which goes over the other border colors to get a strong dense black border without making the art too dark.

Ok, at least now we know why they call him Doctor Popper.

Quote from: Dr Popper
I call it the "Gray-Doze" border variation!

DOH...
...ze!

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:11 AM »

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
Another great deal.  Scoop it up fast before someone else buys it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Topps-Chewing-Gum-Crocked-Original-221-/110612147941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0ff6ee5

LOL!! Wow, a single '82 album sticker (in not-too-great condition). Sweet deal!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:34:22 PM by Ducko »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »
LOL!! Wow, a single '82 album sticker (in not-too-great condition). Sweet deal!
You have to admit it's got nice detail and only $75 WTF?

wackyone

« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
You have to admit it's got nice detail and only $75 WTF?

That's cause it's an "orignal"..i like the quote,,i guess there must be alot of fakes out there..LOL
"I know that it is original as I have had it since 1980 when I got it with the chewing gum and saved it in my shoebox.  Well, it has come out for sale!"

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WACKY-PACK-CARD-DUXIE-LOOK-/200552746546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1e00e32

"It still overall looks to be in good condition."

lol -- I guess the sticker itself could be described that way, minus the entire border area.

Still, a bargain at $7.99 + $2.49 shipping.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
What am I missing here on this eBay auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-SET-4-RARE-Binders-WOW-/320627968009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa6ea8809

Are these binders filled with ANS7 gold border cards? Sketch cards? At these prices, I will need a binder to display my binder collection. I don't think I am going to dish out almost $500.00 and then use the durn things.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
Did I see these same binders or was it some kind of notebooks (four of them either way) that went for $200 recently?

Yeah, I just don't get it. No reason these are that valuable. I don't even think the "Wacky Packages" lettering is quite right. But hey, they were previously owned by a collector, so that must be worth something?!?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
What am I missing here on this eBay auction?

Are these binders filled with ANS7 gold border cards? Sketch cards? At these prices, I will need a binder to display my binder collection. I don't think I am going to dish out almost $500.00 and then use the durn things.
These were produced in fairly limited quantities about 10 years ago by Roxanne and ARE hard to come across, especially as a set. If memory serves, I think they sold new for around $50/set. I've never felt they were worth this kind of money (hundreds), but I've seen them sell for $200-$300 for a set...but not to me, lol.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
These were produced in fairly limited quantities about 10 years ago by Roxanne and ARE hard to come across, especially as a set. If memory serves, I think they sold new for around $50/set. I've never felt they were worth this kind of money (hundreds), but I've seen them sell for $200-$300 for a set...but not to me, lol.

Sounds like it's more of an item that a collector of misc items would want, as opposed to a collector who would actually use them to store their cards in.  I guess you could do both but if I paid $300.00 or whatever for them I would want to keep them as nice as possible and not use actually them.

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
Sounds like it's more of an item that a collector of misc items would want, as opposed to a collector who would actually use them to store their cards in.  I guess you could do both but if I paid $300.00 or whatever for them I would want to keep them as nice as possible and not use actually them.

I think they only have regular rings,not the D-ring style.Maybe someone can confirm this?
So I would not even want mine in them,if that's the case.
The last set of these sold for over $400 about 6 weeks ago or less.
I really like how the spines look when all lined up next to each other,very nice indeed.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers

Offline CanadianClod

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »
I think they only have regular rings,not the D-ring style.Maybe someone can confirm this?
So I would not even want mine in them,if that's the case.
The last set of these sold for over $400 about 6 weeks ago or less.
I really like how the spines look when all lined up next to each other,very nice indeed.

Yep, the Non-Sport Update Wacky Packages binders have round rings.  Too bad, since they are otherwise a really cool item, and display very nicely.  I like my set, but my Wackys didn't stay in them very long due to the fatal flaw of round rings.  I'm trying to figure out the actual year they were released - I remember locating the ad in NSU and scanning it for the old forum, so I know it's here somewhere......

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:53 AM »
Best auction photo ever:

http://cgi.ebay.com/oringal-wacky-pack-cards-pack-fresh-/160515196675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f738703

Ha ha, I like the opening line too....................  1..cover ghoul mint condition,,has writing on back

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »
Yep, the Non-Sport Update Wacky Packages binders have round rings.  Too bad, since they are otherwise a really cool item, and display very nicely.  I like my set, but my Wackys didn't stay in them very long due to the fatal flaw of round rings.  I'm trying to figure out the actual year they were released - I remember locating the ad in NSU and scanning it for the old forum, so I know it's here somewhere......

they came out in 1998/99 I want to say...  around there.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:18 AM »

If anybody needs this one snag it quick before someone else does!.........................

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2010, 09:13:53 AM »
If anybody needs this one snag it quick before someone else does!.........................

That's the rare Bustedfinger with the middle finger instead of the index finger. Topps quickly fixed the problem but a few of the offensive stickers are still floating around.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »

That’s too much. The comment “No fancy packaging” scares me a bit. I hope they remember to secure that $200 dollar sticker in a top loader or else it might become a floater ... subject to being clipped or damaged when the package is opened.

Commons run steep in Oshkosh. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
That's the rare Bustedfinger with the middle finger instead of the index finger. Topps quickly fixed the problem but a few of the offensive stickers are still floating around.

This could be a Shedd's or whiteback and it would still be too high!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »

I heard it wasn't the middle finger, but "The Shocker"  - and that's what got Topps so excited.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
I thought this was the BustedFinger art until I looked more closely. Wow.

I think the "No fancy packaging" meant it didn't come in its wrapper or something.

lol -- the rare "middle finger" BustedFinger!  :]

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Dang, I must be sitting on a goldmine and didn't even know it....  slabbing swill and then treating them like rare gems just rubs me the wrong way.  Ebay is just polluted with it.  What a scam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-1980-80-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-PACKS-CARDS-PSA-9-MINT-/320629901683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa7080973

>(

anything