Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 586675 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #2450 on: May 24, 2021, 12:28:03 PM »
Hey, did you forget what you were going to say?

ďYes that is some serious audacity to say no hard sleeve will be a part of that sale.  I always take note of the sellers with no clue so thankyou for the heads up.Ē

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
Hey, did you forget what you were going to say?
  OK, that is a serious glitch.  I did write something and it was exactly what Paul Maul just put.  WHAT THE HELL?????

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2021, 02:05:51 PM »
  OK, that is a serious glitch.  I did write something and it was exactly what Paul Maul just put.  WHAT THE HELL?????

If you look carefully, you accidentally typed your response within the body of the quote.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #2453 on: May 24, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
I think you'd only pay that much for a PSA 10 1982 Playbug if you're an heir to the Hugh Hefner estate.

I would think twice before offering 10 bucks

Offline 70s_Kid

Offline quas

« Reply #2455 on: May 24, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »
But you can save 30% if you act now!   ;D
Marc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2456 on: May 25, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
But you can save 30% if you act now!   ;D
and, on top of that, you get a "Free additional sealed transparent food-grade baggie adds additional protection to the casing". This will keep bugs out...ohhhh, too late.

Offline drono

« Reply #2457 on: May 25, 2021, 12:47:47 PM »
PLEASE tell me that THIS is not the going rate for a PSA-10 1982 sticker now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224433230591?hash=item34414352ff:g:v-0AAOSwyWVgf1Ur

The PSA stuff already seems astronomical for 1-16 stuff, but if things go this direction, my old collection would be worth millions (if I still had it all).  Crazy stuff.

That's what I don't understand about the whole infatuation with PSA grading.  You really can't tell the difference between a 9 and a 10, but the price difference seems astronomical - or at least in the eye of the seller.  It's not just on Wacky Packages but on every trading card, even new ones where the printing process is so good that every card should be a 9 or a 10.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2458 on: May 25, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »
I personally donít get it at all.  Ok, if I want a few of my favorite titles or a rarer card in the best condition possible just because it makes me happy to own them, fine.  But trying to assemble entire OS runs, or die-cut set or Ads set, spending thousands in the process, not for me, even if I had the cash to burn.  Certain collectibles retain their appeal across generations of people better than others, but I donít think Wackys will be at the top of that list.  As the years go on and our generation slowly dies off, will there still be a market for these ultra-pricey slabbed cards, let alone an appreciation in value that can keep pace with inflation?  Maybe, maybe not, but doesnít feel like the surest bet to me.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #2459 on: May 25, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »
That's what I don't understand about the whole infatuation with PSA grading.  You really can't tell the difference between a 9 and a 10, but the price difference seems astronomical - or at least in the eye of the seller.  It's not just on Wacky Packages but on every trading card, even new ones where the printing process is so good that every card should be a 9 or a 10.

It is a money making scheme for PSA in my opinion....  I will never buy a slabbed wacky...  my 1967 diecut set would grade between 8 and 10 on every card.  I will never get them slabbed. 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2460 on: May 25, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »
I personally donít get it at all.  Ok, if I want a few of my favorite titles or a rarer card in the best condition possible just because it makes me happy to own them, fine.  But trying to assemble entire OS runs, or die-cut set or Ads set, spending thousands in the process, not for me, even if I had the cash to burn.  Certain collectibles retain their appeal across generations of people better than others, but I donít think Wackys will be at the top of that list.  As the years go on and our generation slowly dies off, will there still be a market for these ultra-pricey slabbed cards, let alone an appreciation in value that can keep pace with inflation?  Maybe, maybe not, but doesnít feel like the surest bet to me.
I should probably stifle myself (to quote Archie Bunker) on this subject because Iím sure Iíve weighed in on the general subject before and am not really saying anything new.  And I donít want to offend anyone who is into slabbed Wackys, as the pursuit of 3rd party graded collectibles is pretty much part of most collectibles markets by now.  Maybe all those collectors know something I donít.  I have a friend who obsesses over Incredible Hulk #181, the first full appearance of Wolverine from the X-Men, his favorite character.  But he wonít even look at anything lower than maybe an 8.0.  Way to go Frank, maybe itíll hit $100,000 soon, if it hasnít already. 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2461 on: May 25, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
I should probably stifle myself (to quote Archie Bunker) on this subject because Iím sure Iíve weighed in on the general subject before and am not really saying anything new.  And I donít want to offend anyone who is into slabbed Wackys, as the pursuit of 3rd party graded collectibles is pretty much part of most collectibles markets by now.  Maybe all those collectors know something I donít.  I have a friend who obsesses over Incredible Hulk #181, the first full appearance of Wolverine from the X-Men, his favorite character.  But he wonít even look at anything lower than maybe an 8.0.  Way to go Frank, maybe itíll hit $100,000 soon, if it hasnít already.

Hulk 181 is a perfect example. Buying that book uncertified is asking to get a restored, color touched copy. If that doesnít bother you, fire away. You donít need to buy a high grade CGC copy if that isnít important to you. You can buy one in lesser condition and still have the resto check.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2462 on: May 25, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »
Interesting, didnít realize how prevalent restorations are in comics, though I would venture to guess it occurs 99% with the big-ticket books.  To expend the effort on lower-demand titles and issues would be akin to counterfeiting $1 bills.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2463 on: May 25, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »
Interesting, didnít realize how prevalent restorations are in comics, though I would venture to guess it occurs 99% with the big-ticket books.  To expend the effort on lower-demand titles and issues would be akin to counterfeiting $1 bills.
Or $2 bills.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2464 on: May 25, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »

Absolutely, 90% of the comics I own are ungraded, and given their value and how I obtained them Iím pretty sure they are not altered. I would only be concerned with either ultra high grade comics that are priced high or keys.

anything