Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 913111 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #1260 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:52 AM »
"Like Wacky Packages" ?   

eBay auction: #261196407424

Oh, yeah... They are both trading card shaped.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1261 on: April 06, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
"Like Wacky Packages" ?   

I'm surprised it didn't say 'No Sketch' in the title...LOL

Offline Stingline

« Reply #1262 on: April 06, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
"Like Wacky Packages" ?   

On a related note, "I know what I'll do, search eBay for the words L@@K and HOT!", said no eBay buyer ever.

« Reply #1263 on: April 06, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
On a related note, "I know what I'll do, search eBay for the words L@@K and HOT!", said no eBay buyer ever.

typing in the just the word "rare" brings up some interesting things, just sayin.

non- sarcasm related.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1264 on: April 10, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »
If anyone doesn't understand the motivation to get nice stuff graded:

eBay auction: #400449499945

I had my Jail-O die cut, which I paid $24 for, graded a PSA 9 recently. Assuming this kind of sale is not an aberration, the value of my Jail-O has been increased by 2300% for a $6 grading fee.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1265 on: April 10, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »

I had my Jail-O die cut, which I paid $24 for, graded a PSA 9 recently. Assuming this kind of sale is not an aberration, the value of my Jail-O has been increased by 2300% for a $6 grading fee.
hurry up and sell it.  The people that bid on that one should bid on yours also.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1266 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »
hurry up and sell it.  The people that bid on that one should bid on yours also.

It could also be due to the title as well so there is no guarantee.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #1267 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

It is a crap shoot on grading so you didn't seem to factor in the odds of PSA screwing up the grade, also the next highest bidder after the two clowns ran it up to $600 is around $400 so the return isn't quite 2300%, more like 1300%  :P

I don't recall your listing your main motivation to be profiteering.  I guess I should have been more diligent in not allowing my high grade stickers to go for like $10 and less back in the day I allowed my extras to be cherry picked.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1268 on: April 10, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

I don't recall your listing your main motivation to be profiteering.  I guess I should have been more diligent in not allowing my high grade stickers to go for like $10 and less back in the day I allowed my extras to be cherry picked.

You misunderstand, I'm not selling anything, nor am I profiteering. Given that I have a PSA 9 quality sticker, by getting it graded I'm increasing its value. This is relevant not just to "profiteering", but also should a spouse or child need to sell one's collection should the need arise.

As far as allowing cherry picking, I certainly appreciate your selling me nice stickers in the past. However, I can't say I would resent it if you had a PSA 10 quality sticker and wanted to either a.) have it graded before selling or b.) charge a fair premium if selling it ungraded. I've had other collectors pursue those avenues in the past and I completely understand such decisions.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #1269 on: April 10, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
[I don't recall your listing your main motivation to be profiteering.  I guess I should have been more diligent in not allowing my high grade stickers to go for like $10 and less back in the day I allowed my extras to be cherry picked.

[/quote]

Hey Ern, I had the same thing happen to me over the decade in regards to being cherry picked, until I found some of the guys re-selling them for at least 10x the amount...  Had no idea that those stickers would fetch such a price tag.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #1270 on: April 10, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
Since we're on the topic of graded cards check out these bad boys. The seller has a treasure trove of gem mint cards, snatch them up while you can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Posters-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-4-Sticker-Graded-10-Gem-MT-/140947536703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d120bb3f

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1271 on: April 10, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
You misunderstand, I'm not selling anything, nor am I profiteering. Given that I have a PSA 9 quality sticker, by getting it graded I'm increasing its value. This is relevant not just to "profiteering", but also should a spouse or child need to sell one's collection should the need arise.

As far as allowing cherry picking, I certainly appreciate your selling me nice stickers in the past. However, I can't say I would resent it if you had a PSA 10 quality sticker and wanted to either a.) have it graded before selling or b.) charge a fair premium if selling it ungraded. I've had other collectors pursue those avenues in the past and I completely understand such decisions.

I know what you mean about value for later, have been thinking on this since I started buying Wacky art.  If I get run over by a bus next week, I'd hate to think my family might sell a valuable painting for a song.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1272 on: April 10, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
Since we're on the topic of graded cards check out these bad boys. The seller has a treasure trove of gem mint cards, snatch them up while you can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Posters-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-4-Sticker-Graded-10-Gem-MT-/140947536703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d120bb3f

Too funny! This is an 18 year old high school senior trying to make a buck. I've never heard of GMA grading until now. I went to their site and it's $2 a card with a 5 day turnaround.
We might be spending too much using PSA :o

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1273 on: April 10, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
I know what you mean about value for later, have been thinking on this since I started buying Wacky art.  If I get run over by a bus next week, I'd hate to think my family might sell a valuable painting for a song.
get that art graded, pronto! slab it and tag it.  ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1274 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:18 AM »
I know what you mean about value for later, have been thinking on this since I started buying Wacky art.  If I get run over by a bus next week, I'd hate to think my family might sell a valuable painting for a song.

get that art graded, pronto! slab it and tag it.  ;)

We've seen that original art always sells for a premium when straight from the Topps Vault or with the Topps Vault provenance. While I agree that's meaningless to knowledgeable collectors, apparently it's worth the premium to novice buyers for added peace of mind.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on PSA and grading. The bottom line to me is that PSA provides third party, unbiased validation as to the quality of the card. There are various reasons that may be desirable to the owner of a high grade card:

1. Obviously if selling the card, it will bring an astronomically higher price
2. It enhances the value (important for other reasons I've detailed above)
3. Money/value aside, it gives validation to the owner that their card is as nice as they think it is. It may sound silly, but "pride of ownership" is a big part of collecting. I might think my 1st series set is very nice, but I obviously have a vested interest in thinking that. The 3rd party validation means my card is nice in a way that an entire group of collectors will "believe." Whether for purposes 1 and 2, friendly competition (registry sets), or just pride of ownership, it lends a "group credibility" that is otherwise unachievable.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #1275 on: April 11, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
[I don't recall your listing your main motivation to be profiteering.  I guess I should have been more diligent in not allowing my high grade stickers to go for like $10 and less back in the day I allowed my extras to be cherry picked.

Hey Ern, I had the same thing happen to me over the decade in regards to being cherry picked, until I found some of the guys re-selling them for at least 10x the amount...  Had no idea that those stickers would fetch such a price tag.
Nor did I.  PSA escalation value was not well established so if I knew today what I knew then, I wouldn't allow the cherry picking.  I know I sold PSA gradable stuff because I took some of the "leftovers" and still got a pile of PSA8s from my series 1 titles so I have no doubt I sold some PSA9s for a small "high grade premium".
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1277 on: April 12, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
I'm still laughing myself silly over this one

a highlight: "Flashback 2 was one of the hardest to get series to get and most prized to obtain! "

eBay auction: #121093499385

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1278 on: April 12, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »

a highlight: "Flashback 2 was one of the hardest to get series to get and most prized to obtain! "

Plus it comes in a rare white box!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1279 on: April 12, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »

That is one sssssssswwwwwweeeeeeeetttttttttt  auction!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #1280 on: April 12, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

Sounds to me like whoever typed that description should lay off the crack pipe.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #1281 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
Sounds to me like whoever typed that description should lay off the crack pipe.

You know you're in trouble when there are 37 !'s in the description.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #1282 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »

I love this part. :]

"I have one box left I wanna give up atleast right now-I may change my mind"

At any moment now this guy could come to his senses and yank this auction.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM by Go_Bum »

Offline MadMike

« Reply #1283 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
I feel like I should be thanking him just for having the opportunity to purchase one of his coveted white boxes.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #1284 on: April 14, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:11:24 AM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1285 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
Can't believe I missed this one....this "Stinks"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Lox-Soap-OLDS4-Old-School-Series-4-Smokin-Joe-Sketch-/310646275874?nma=true&si=3O3yOZr75MUQCcwHKK5xQbh1vO8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one should be relisted in      10....9....8......7.....6....

I know the guy that bought that. I will have to message him. That's obscene.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #1286 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
Wow, he was even willing to go higher. He had the last two bids. :o

Offline bandaches

« Reply #1287 on: April 14, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
I know the guy that bought that. I will have to message him. That's obscene.
"guy"?  Isn't that sugar mommy?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1288 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
"guy"?  Isn't that sugar mommy?

Nope. It was a war between 2 guys.

Offline Stingline

« Reply #1289 on: April 15, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »
Nope. It was a war between 2 guys.

I thought he was implying that the person who won must have a "sugar momma" with some cash to fund his addiction and willingness to pay outrageous $$ for a sketch.

It's kind of like when I watch Restaurant Impossible and there's these lunatics who have no idea how to run a business and you think, "how the hell are they surviving losing money like that and acting like complete tools" and it turns out their wives or parents are dumping cash into the business. It's easy to overspend when it's not your money. But maybe I am reading too much into the original comment :)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1290 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:30 AM »
I thought he was implying that the person who won must have a "sugar momma" with some cash to fund his addiction and willingness to pay outrageous $$ for a sketch.

It's kind of like when I watch Restaurant Impossible and there's these lunatics who have no idea how to run a business and you think, "how the hell are they surviving losing money like that and acting like complete tools" and it turns out their wives or parents are dumping cash into the business. It's easy to overspend when it's not your money. But maybe I am reading too much into the original comment :)

I think he was refering to one particular woman Wacky Packages sketch enthusiast who seems to have a large cash resource at her disposal.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #1291 on: April 15, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
I think he was refering to one particular woman Wacky Packages sketch enthusiast who seems to have a large cash resource at her disposal.
yes

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1292 on: April 15, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

I watched several Restaurant Impossible episodes last night.  HOW do you buy a business without learning how to run it??  One owner never even thought to taste the food!!!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #1293 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
I watched several Restaurant Impossible episodes last night.  HOW do you buy a business without learning how to run it??  One owner never even thought to taste the food!!!

How did people purchase houses w/o the proper income and occupation.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1294 on: April 24, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »

I’ve been watching Restaurant Impossible. Like Singline said, it’s easy to be recklessly ignorant and overspend when it's not your money! So many of the financial backers are parents and relatives. In the workplace there is a similar common phenomenon. A hired manager will sometimes keep a poor employee on board for many years, sometimes decades, because the cash doesn’t come out of their pocket. If the boss had to pay the same employee out of their own wallet, they’d be fired in a flash. Some of these restaurant business owners are in the same boat – if it was their own cash they were spending, they would at least occasionally taste the food, lol, and take their financial losses more seriously.