Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!  (Read 90835 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
I made this a separate thread in case anyone does not want to see any spoilers:

This is a heads up that there will be a special Pre-Sale of OLDS2 starting Wednesday Nov. 24 at 12:01am EASTERN TIME ZONE and lasting through until Friday Nov. 26 at 11:59pm EASTERN TIME ZONE. I know this is a weird time with Thanksgiving and all but this is it. Hopefully this 5 day heads up will help people plan for it.

If you are on my mailing list you will receive an email right before the sale with a link directly to the order page. The order page will show the new flyer which has much more details about the series. I will also post the link to the forum in this thread in case anyone does not get the email.

On Monday I will have new info concerning price, if there are any limits, shipping, what may or may not be free, etc. This is just a heads up post to give people two extra days of warning. Monday will have the key info which will also be sent in an email and posted on the forum. I hope to have the new flyer to post on Monday as well.

The series will be expected to go on sale regularly in mid December at the Topps Online Store and ship the last week of December (as always, subject to change).

The series will have 5000 boxes total. The breakdown of a box is as follows (more details of this breakdown is in the SPOILER thread):
Box
24 packs
33 different stickers
9 puzzle checklist cards
Envelope
1 series 3 mini sticker
3 chase cards (not stickers)
3 5x7 stickers
1 sketch card
Insert poster

Also available will be a binder with series 2 wax wrapper, sketch card poster, series poster and uncut sheets along with the majority of the artwork for the series sold on Ebay through Topps Vault.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:07:51 PM by slamjim »

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
Re: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
I made this a separate thread in case anyone does not want to see any spoilers:

This is a heads up that there will be a special Pre-Sale of OLDS2 starting Wednesday Nov. 24 at 12:01am and lasting through until Friday Nov. 26 at 11:59pm. I know this is a weird time with Thanksgiving and all but this is it. Hopefully this 5 day heads up will help people plan for it.

If you are on my mailing list you will receive an email right before the sale with a link directly to the order page. The order page will show the new flyer which has much more details about the series. I will also post the link to the forum in this thread in case anyone does not get the email.

On Monday I will have new info concerning price, if there are any limits, shipping, what may or may not be free, etc. This is just a heads up post to give people two extra days of warning. Monday will have the key info which will also be sent in an email and posted on the forum. I hope to have the new flyer to post on Monday as well.

The series will be expected to go on sale regularly in mid December at the Topps Online Store and ship the last week of December (as always, subject to change).

The series will have 5000 boxes total. The breakdown of a box is as follows (more details of this breakdown is in the SPOILER thread):
Box
24 packs
33 different stickers
9 puzzle checklist cards
Envelope
1 series 3 mini sticker
3 chase cards (not stickers)
3 5x7 stickers
Insert poster
1 sketch card

Also available will be a binder with series 2 wax wrapper, sketch card poster, series poster and uncut sheets along with the majority of the artwork for the series sold on Ebay through Topps Vault.

Will each envelope still have a sketch card?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:54:44 AM by eman »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
Will each envelope still have a sketch card?

Yeah, I forgot the sketch card. I just added that into the post. Whoops.

Can you edit the quote of what I posted and add the sketch card in and also change the date (it should be Nov. 26 not 27).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:48:01 AM by slamjim »

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »
Done. Thanks for the heads up on the new Old School series.

eman

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
Yeah, I forgot the sketch card. I just added that into the post. Whoops.

Can you edit the quote of what I posted and add the sketch card in and also change the date (it should be Nov. 26 not 27).
Dave, you can edit any of your own posts. I think you figured that out already ;)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
Dave, you can edit any of your own posts. I think you figured that out already ;)
but you can't edit a quote of your own post, which is what he was asking eman to do

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
but you can't edit a quote of your own post, which is what he was asking eman to do
Oh. I gotcha!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
Pre-sale price is $44.95 which includes free shipping for any amount of boxes you order (last time it was 3 or more boxes to get the free shipping).

Every 5 boxes gets a free OLDS2 binder w/ wax wrapper (so if you got 10 you get a second binder and so on).

Limited amount of pre-sale boxes but I don't know the total (probably around the same amount as last time).

Mister Faulty promo card will be in every order and with higher box orders they will be throwing in a number of the promos and flyers and stuff like that.

I believe they will also have the Poster & Sketch Poster "coupons" like last time.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:05:43 PM by slamjim »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
Pre-sale price is $44.95 which includes free shipping for any amount of boxes you order (last time it was 3 or more boxes to get the free shipping).

Every 5 boxes gets a free OLDS2 binder w/ wax wrapper

Limited amount of pre-sale boxes but I don't know the total (probably around the same amount as last time).

Mister Faulty promo card will be in every order and with higher box orders they will be throwing in a number of the promos and flyers and stuff like that.

I believe they will also have the Poster & Sketch Poster "coupons" like last time.

So it looks like the price increased by $7 per box from the OLDS1 price.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »

I believe they were $48 a box.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
I believe they were $48 a box.

The pre-order price last time was not $48.  I am pretty certain Loren is correct - they were under $40 last time.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
The pre-order price last time was not $48.  I am pretty certain Loren is correct - they were under $40 last time.
He didn't say pre-order. I believe we got $10 off on OLDS pre-orders. This is at least a savings plus the binder and such. The regular price for the boxes was $48.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »

Was it $37.95 or $39.95 last time?

People who bought one or two boxes last time did not get the free shipping. 5 is obviously the deal as you get the binder which is a $20 or so value plus the free shipping. I was hoping for $42.95 but the series cost more this time around getting the new artists involved with the sketch cards and better printing, wrappers, paper stock, etc  and, well, they took a big beating on the pre-sale last time especially with the extra freebies, the poster mailing problems, etc. The added costs are pretty easy to make up by just selling off some dupe chase cards or a sketch. The boxes have always been worth more than the sell price. Sealed OLDS1 boxes still sell for $75+ on Ebay and any sketch card is potentially a monster sale. It's still an awesome deal for the price with what is included in this set.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
                 OLDS pre-sale was $37.95 per box if my memory is correct
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »
He didn't say pre-order. I believe we got $10 off on OLDS pre-orders. This is at least a savings plus the binder and such. The regular price for the boxes was $48.

I dug out my OLDS1 pre-sale e-mail.  Pre-Sale price last time was $37.95 with free shipping.  Regular price was $39.95 + shipping.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »
I dug out my OLDS1 pre-sale e-mail.  Pre-Sale price last time was $37.95 with free shipping.  Regular price was $39.95 + shipping.

Reg price was $49.95 I believe

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
Reg price was $49.95 I believe

Here is the text from the OLDS1 pre-sale e-mail.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining.  I just wasn't expecting to be dropping nearly $225 for five boxes this time.

Hello Wacky Packages fans!

You are receiving this email which includes a special link and code to place pre-orders for the 2009 All- New Topps Wacky Packages Old School series boxes. With this special offer you can get WPOS boxes at the special price of $37.95 (regular sale price will be $39.95+ postage) and with a special FREE shipping discount for 3 or more boxes only during the limited time listed below.

Here's the link to the Old School pre-order page:

http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/the-432/WP-PRE821/Detail

(Direct link only, not listed anywhere on the Topps online store or on the Internet)

The Free UPS Ground shipping code is: WPOS821
Remember you MUST enter the code WPOS821 to get your free shipping!

It's valid for orders of 3 or more boxes. Free shipping is valid ONLY for orders within the USA.

**With purchase of 3 boxes you will also receive 3 coupons (one coupon per box) which you will be able to mail in with postage and receive a FREE Wacky Packages Old School full-size poster!**

The code goes live tonight at midnight (Eastern time) and ends Monday - 12:00 PM (Eastern time).

The series is limited to only 3650 boxes so don't delay and miss taking advantage of this special offer!

Thank you,
The Topps Online Store
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:13:26 PM by BustedFinger »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Was it $37.95 or $39.95 last time?

People who bought one or two boxes last time did not get the free shipping. 5 is obviously the deal as you get the binder which is a $20 or so value plus the free shipping. I was hoping for $42.95 but the series cost more this time around getting the new artists involved with the sketch cards and better printing, wrappers, paper stock, etc  and, well, they took a big beating on the pre-sale last time especially with the extra freebies, the poster mailing problems, etc. The added costs are pretty easy to make up by just selling off some dupe chase cards or a sketch. The boxes have always been worth more than the sell price. Sealed OLDS1 boxes still sell for $75+ on Ebay and any sketch card is potentially a monster sale. It's still an awesome deal for the price with what is included in this set.

It's a minor increase and I still think it represents a very good value with the extras and free shipping. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
The pre-sale price was $37.95 and the actual sale price was $47.95. Just checked it out.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
Here is the text from the OLDS1 pre-sale e-mail.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining.  I just wasn't expecting to be dropping nearly $225 for five boxes this time.

It appears to be a difference of about $30 based on (your specific) 5 boxes, shipping and the binder compared to last time.

That $39.95 price was wrong. I remember that was what was the thinking at the time and it ended up selling for $47.95 at the online store.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »

Depending on the sketches you pull you might be able to sell one sketch to recoup you $200 pre-order. That is how you collect in the sketch era.
I will probably drop $2k on the pre-order and when the dust settles I probably won't actually spend a dime and still have a killer collection.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
Depending on the sketches you pull you might be able to sell one sketch to recoup you $200 pre-order. That is how you collect in the sketch era.
I will probably drop $2k on the pre-order and when the dust settles I probably won't actually spend a dime and still have a killer collection.

Also, for the $30 more you could sell some of the duplicate regular chase cards, checklists, stickers or whatever to recoup that cost.

The sketches really do create a whole new way of thinking. If you look at it as Jay doing around 3/5ths of the cards then those will probably be running around $15-50 each depending on the image with obviously some getting more than that if they are more detailed or have any unique elements. The other boxes will have 10 artists dividing up the rest so those will (if it goes by current sketch history) probably be worth the price of the box at least. None of this includes all the other stuff you get which is considerable. I don't see any other card set offering more things in one series. Topps wants us to cut back on the goodies but we have been able to fight them off.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Also, for the $30 more you could sell some of the duplicate regular chase cards, checklists, stickers or whatever to recoup that cost.

The sketches really do create a whole new way of thinking. If you look at it as Jay doing around 3/5ths of the cards then those will probably be running around $15-50 each depending on the image with obviously some getting more than that if they are more detailed or have any unique elements. The other boxes will have 10 artists dividing up the rest so those will (if it goes by current sketch history) probably be worth the price of the box at least. None of this includes all the other stuff you get which is considerable. I don't see any other card set offering more things in one series. Topps wants us to cut back on the goodies but we have been able to fight them off.

I think the non Lynch sketches may pull $400 each depending on the sketch. If jay did anything crazy the price will be about the same. Colors will sell in the $1k range. What data do i have to support this? OLDS!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

I wish you wouldn't say shit like that. Although I’ve never purchased a box of packs, I finally made the decision this go-around to buy 2 boxes and now I'm ready to spend bigger

And the mini teaser preview to the next series is sweet, yeah  :0012398:

1 series 3 mini sticker

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
I think the non Lynch sketches may pull $400 each depending on the sketch. If jay did anything crazy the price will be about the same. Colors will sell in the $1k range. What data do i have to support this? OLDS!

I think you are high on that $400.00 estimate for non-Lynch sketches.  The average quantity for the remaining 10 artists is 200 each, and with that average I can't see them selling for anywhere near $400.00.  If one of the artists did 10-20 that's different, but 200+ I think it's too high.  If you are basing the quantities on the quantity per title instead of total # of sketches, I just can't see anyone going for all of the titles per artist.  I'm not sure that's a realistic goal.  I think the majority will be trying to get one per artist, so the total # of sketches they did will be the biggest influence on price.     

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »
I think you are high on that $400.00 estimate for non-Lynch sketches.  The average quantity for the remaining 10 artists is 200 each, and with that average I can't see them selling for anywhere near $400.00.  If one of the artists did 10-20 that's different, but 200+ I think it's too high.  If you are basing the quantities on the quantity per title instead of total # of sketches, I just can't see anyone going for all of the titles per artist.  I'm not sure that's a realistic goal.  I think the majority will be trying to get one per artist, so the total # of sketches they did will be the biggest influence on price.    

It all depends on what the others did with their 200sketches. There could be a lot of variety, if there is the prices could go higher. Look at the Lynch sketch that just sold for $610 on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:12:58 PM by BumChex »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
It all depends on what the others did with their 200sketches. There could be a lot of variety, if there is the prices could go higher. Look at the Lynch sketch that just sold for $610 on eBay.

We'll see I guess.  Is your preference that they sell high or low, or you honestly don't care?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:37 AM »
We'll see I guess.  Is your preference that they sell high or low, or you honestly don't care?

I always like to see them high as a sell/collector and I like to see them lower as a buyer. It really doesn't matter what the market bears because if you want to move a piece to buy another one the price may be close to the same so it's a trade regardless.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »
Has there been a link posted yet as to where the pre-sale orders can be placed?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Has there been a link posted yet as to where the pre-sale orders can be placed?
Nothing yet. Stay Tuned!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
Nothing yet. Stay Tuned!

Can't wait -I am buying 1000 boxes...'Cardgary' eat your heart out!!!!

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
? where is the link???

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
? where is the link???

The link is live so I can't post it until midnight. Bear with me as I have to post it to two threads, send a mass email and then individually send out a number of emails to people that I typically get a bounce back email from people that can't handle a mass email.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:54:05 PM by slamjim »

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
Got it, Thanks!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »

Every 5 boxes gets a free OLDS2 binder w/ wax wrapper (so if you got 10 you get a second binder and so on).

What will the regular price be for these?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

anything