Author Topic: Wacky Postcard Art Scans  (Read 29714 times)

Offline Plan 9

Wacky Postcard Art Scans
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:18:41 AM »
Let's have 'em!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Postcard Art Scans
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »
Let's have 'em!!!

Not sure what your looking for here? :017:

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
Not sure what your looking for here? :017:
There was discussion about seeing scans of the postcard art. Something better than what Topps uses on their auction pages. They could be provided by the artists or by the art owners. This thread would be a good place to collect them.

wackyone

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:25:42 AM »
ya what's goin' on here...lets fill this up with all the known cards and check em out and see what's missing.
not many color cards have turned up yet and i'm still lookin for Matt's 2nd of the 3 color post cards he did

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Well somebody's gotta get this thread going.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »
I'll add a few tomorrow. ;D
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
Here's the final art for Molten Crisp.

[expando]http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=184.0;attach=536;image[/expando]

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »
Man, Molten Crisp is pretty!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
Here are the ones I did

All type is painted on H8

Lice has the type on the bottom right added in pre production, it is not on the original.

2 more coming up in a bit

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
In a trade with Matthew he sent me this awesome sketch art he drew on the back of a Klepto PC.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
Here are the ones I did

Did you keep the H8 art or do you know if that one is in Topps ebay rotation?

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »

all type is painted on this one too

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
Did you keep the H8 art or do you know if that one is in Topps ebay rotation?

Topps still has all 4 of mine as far as I know.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »

there are two lines of text added in pre press on this one that are not on the original art.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:03:00 PM by Sunstroke »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
Topps still has all 4 of mine as far as I know.
I'm tortured by this fact.

wackyone

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
great stuff,,i'm totally love H8 and Lice,,back when i 1st got them i just couldn't stop lookin' at them  :o
Mike & Yikes is my fav i think of this Halloween set,Starbeast is close behind

I know the special 3 Halloween color postcards you did on are not maybe considered OG art but i would really like to see the 2nd one you did.No one has posted it in the spoiler thread yet and i can't find who bought it,,if anybody here has it please post it up.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
Love that Mike & Yikes up close. FANtastic!

I always thought it was unfortunate that one of the Just Born candies never got parodied back in the 70's, there were enough to choose from:

And though we never got to see Norm's vision for those, he did do this box art for Topps Gumniks, which look a heck of a lot like little Mike and Ike candies:

Topps Gumniks Bubble Gum - Box Flat - 1970's - Artwork by Norm Saunders by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

there are two lines of text added in pre press on this one that are not on the original art.

Thanks for the great scans!  These are exactly what I was hoping would be posted.  And it's especially nice to see H8 in the larger size.

Sorry if I'm being overly dense, but do I understand correctly that when we eventually see Mike & Yikes and Lice on auction from Topps Vault, some of the text won't be there at all?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the great scans!  These are exactly what I was hoping would be posted.  And it's especially nice to see H8 in the larger size.

Sorry if I'm being overly dense, but do I understand correctly that when we eventually see Mike & Yikes and Lice on auction from Topps Vault, some of the text won't be there at all?
I'm thinking we won't see these released from the vault. I've inquired about pieces like Klepto and HiSea and I was told they were kept for the archive. They have a rep for not selling any of Matt's paintings.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 04:08:28 AM »
I'm thinking we won't see these released from the vault. I've inquired about pieces like Klepto and HiSea and I was told they were kept for the archive. They have a rep for not selling any of Matt's paintings.

Well, then I'm very glad that Matt can at least post the final art here for us to enjoy in large size!

Still, I'm a little bummed.  I've been passing on some paintings that I like because I was waiting and saving for something else, and maybe those won't ever come up.  My question still remains though - if, for instance, Mike & Yikes were to be available, would it be missing text?

Is HiSea Matt's?  I thought Dave did all of Old School.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »
I think Mark meant to say "Lice", not "HiSea". Dave did paint all of the oldschool titles.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that Matt painted HiSea. Only that I've inquired about Klepto and HiSea and was told they're both locked away in the archives indefinitely. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »

I think he means "Supernaturally flavored" and "Nt. Scare 50 shrieks" are the only text not on the final painting. I'm glad he mentioned this because I'll have to inquire about the text of each one before bidding, assuming they ever come to auction. I'd really prefer a Wacky painting be the complete image represented on the sticker. I wonder how a buyer might react if he paid all that cash for a painting and discovered it's missing text.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
the painting is the painting for me. Traditionally that is what illustration art is, the painting. The fact that most of the type is hand painted is a massive bonus especially considering that in any other field I can think of, it is all digitally added now. For me I paint what I can paint to get the main jokes across and still look good. If a computer can make "Supernaturally Flavored" look better that tiny on the printed piece (Which is the main focus) then I let the computer do it. Even on an 8"x10" original, that type would be 3/16" tall, and far too thin to paint. No worse in the end to have that line missing than flaking press-on type in the OS wacky originals in my eyes.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »
the painting is the painting for me. Traditionally that is what illustration art is, the painting. The fact that most of the type is hand painted is a massive bonus especially considering that in any other field I can think of, it is all digitally added now. For me I paint what I can paint to get the main jokes across and still look good. If a computer can make "Supernaturally Flavored" look better that tiny on the printed piece (Which is the main focus) then I let the computer do it. Even on an 8"x10" original, that type would be 3/16" tall, and far too thin to paint. No worse in the end to have that line missing than flaking press-on type in the OS wacky originals in my eyes.
Yeah, I wouldn't miss a few small text lines if the main title and tagline are in the painting.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
Klepto arrived today. Boy look at the size of this thing. Beautiful. I keep going back to look at it every 10 minutes! I don't know why it didn't sell for much higher.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
Klepto arrived today. Boy look at the size of this thing. Beautiful. I keep going back to look at it every 10 minutes! I don't know why it didn't sell for much higher.

Sweet score! That really does look beautiful.

Do you think the lower selling price had anything to do with the fact it was listed as "Smuggler"? I can't imagine that would throw too many buyers off the scent, but perhaps if someone was specifically searching for "Klepto", they would have missed it.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
I think he means "Supernaturally flavored" and "Nt. Scare 50 shrieks" are the only text not on the final painting. I'm glad he mentioned this because I'll have to inquire about the text of each one before bidding, assuming they ever come to auction. I'd really prefer a Wacky painting be the complete image represented on the sticker. I wonder how a buyer might react if he paid all that cash for a painting and discovered it's missing text.

Seems like  "Supernaturally flavored" seems off...shouldn't it read  "Supernatural flavored" sounds more grammatically correct...especially that they added it after the painted piece was done...I am with.. you I think  I would be bummed if all the words were missing from the original art vs. the finished Wacky...Now I have to go back and check my art to see if this is the case...seems like this thread is already beneficial for me...KEEP it GOING...Stay Wacky!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »

Really nice. All of my extra cash is wrapped up in OLDS 2 now. Need to wait to open those and flip the doubles to recoup some costs. I do like the Hunks art though even with the mis- spelling.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
Seems like  "Supernaturally flavored" seems off...shouldn't it read  "Supernatural flavored" sounds more grammatically correct...especially that they added it after the painted piece was done...I am with.. you I think  I would be bummed if all the words were missing from the original art vs. the finished Wacky...Now I have to go back and check my art to see if this is the case...seems like this thread is already beneficial for me...KEEP it GOING...Stay Wacky!!
The real candy probably says "naturally flavored". Anyway I think "supernaturally" is the proper word. I prefer to have all the text on the art since the text is part of the overall design. But if the art itself carries the piece then I wouldn't mind. The only thing about the Yikes gag is that it looks like it could be a real product. Something they'd really put out for Halloween.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Really nice. All of my extra cash is wrapped up in OLDS 2 now. Need to wait to open those and flip the doubles to recoup some costs. I do like the Hunks art though even with the mis- spelling.
You should do very well selling sealed boxes. I'm sure you'll find it irresistible to open them. But a sealed box means a surefire profit. If it wasn't for the resellers Old School wouldn't be found on ebay. Topps never listed boxes for series 1.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »
The only thing about the Yikes gag is that it looks like it could be a real product. Something they'd really put out for Halloween.

Ha ha.. that's such a great point.  I collect Just Born candy stuff, and frankly, I'd love it if they did a Halloween package of "Mike and Yikes".  In this era of special versions of candy for holidays, I could certainly see it happening.  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
Glad you are happy with klepto! It would have been nice to win ky first wacky bqck, but i can't compete anywhere near that price. Sorry for the typo...

As for m&y, the wrapper says naturally flavored, so supernaturally is correct.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
Here's my one and only Topps Vault auction win - Resee's Peepers.  I'm really glad to have scored this one, as I'm a big fan of Neil's work, and this was a Wacky I got at the "Philly" show in Allentown last year, when I met so many Wacky friends for the first time.

I think this would have fit in really well with the Halloween titles!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:21:27 AM by RawGoo »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
Here's my one and only Topps Vault auction win - Resee's Peepers.  I'm really glad to have scored this one, as I'm a big fan of Neil's work, and this was a Wacky I got at the "Philly" show in Allentown last year, when I met so many Wacky friends for the first time.

I think this would have fit in really well with the Halloween titles!

Awesome score!!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

anything