Author Topic: Can Someone Offer Some Advice On Selling My Original Series Collection?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline 6up

Due to unforseen matters and receiving some no so great news I am going to have to sell off my vintage collection to pay for some upcoming medical bills.  What I need to know is should I sell by Series or as one lot?  I have series 1-15 which are in varying conditions and alos a few Series 16 cards. All cards are VG+ - EX+ with a combo of both tan and white backs.  Also a set of Reprint Series 1-4 EX-NRMT, '85 Series NRMT and the '91 Series (including Barf's) NRMT. I am seeing prices of Series 1-15 all over the place on ebay and need to find a fair price.  I also have a few Gold Flashbacks that I will be selling as well. Thanks in advance. Jim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:33:35 PM by 6up »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Can Someone Offer Some Advice On Selling My Original Series Collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
Due to unforseen matters and receiving some no so great news I am going to have to sell off my vintage collection to pay for some upcoming medical bills.  What I need to know is should I sell by Series or as one lot?  I have series 1-15 which are in varying conditions and alos a few Series 16 cards. All cards are VG+ - EX+ with a combo of both tan and white backs.  Also a set of Reprint Series 1-4 EX-NRMT, '85 Series NRMT and the '91 Series (including Barf's) NRMT. I am seeing prices of Series 1-15 all over the place on ebay and need to find a fair price.  I also have a few Gold Flashbacks that I will be selling as well. Thanks in advance. Jim

Sorry to hear about your situation.  There's nothing in there that can't be re-bought easily when your situation changes down the road.

I've found selling them by series is your best bet. If you tried to sell the entire collection as one batch unless you were lucky you would mainly attract dealers looking to buy it at a wholesale level to make money off it.  You could try it that way first and maybe you'll get lucky.  It would obviously save time from listing a bunch of auctions on eBay.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances also, and I agree with Rob. If you have no nm or better singles to sell separately, your next bet is to sell by complete series for avg grade cards. I would recommend starting with buy it nows and switch to an auction format if they don't sell. Sometimes auctions can go very cheap, so if you have the time, it may pay off much more that way. Additionally, if you have any of the higher dollar stickers like Bum, Choke, Bandaches, spic/span error, grime heavy etc... I would pull those from the sets and sell them separately, again starting with buy it nows.

Getting the best price for items like these is a combination of patience & work on the listings. The smaller and better defined the lots and the longer you can wait for the money, the more you will raise. It is a trade off. If you don't have the time or money, a wholesale price may be much less than you could get otherwise, but it does give you the cash fast & the time to tend to other matters. Those are questions you will have to weigh for yourself.
Best of luck

Offline 6up

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
Yeah, my real dilemma is the starting bids, as I dont want to start too low and get screwed. Yet I dont want to overprice.  If someone could give me an idea of what vg+ graded sets would go for it would be appreciated. Each set though IMO would grade higher as they all have borders and maybe a dozen out of the 450+ cards have either a small stain or small writing on them.  I do have cards that are in the EX-NRMT category but I always hate people to be disappointed and grade a bit lower. Ebay has been crazy over the past year. One week I can't sell an item for nothing and then the following week I have multiple bids and get more than I anticipated.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
If you've got an "Old Grandmom," I'm interested.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »
Do you have a gold Battlecaps?

Offline 6up

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
Do you have a gold Battlecaps?

Sorry, I have a FB1 Gold Beastball and a FB2 Gold Shots.  Im going to offer them for $50 each as the ones on ebay arent selling at the $75-100 range.

Offline 6up

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
Still looking for some feedback at what a fair price I should offer each set on ebay in the VG-EX condition. Anyone?

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
Still looking for some feedback at what a fair price I should offer each set on ebay in the VG-EX condition. Anyone?

I think Bigmuc13 just sold many exc range os series sets on ebay recently, so you should probably check ebay ended auctions. He also has a bunch up on ebay now, so you may want to check them out too & possibly ask him for some guidance. I think he starts his auctions off at .99 though. I think Jeffcaff also had some os series sets sell recently on ebay.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
Yes, to get a feel for the market just look up on ebay for the series and then look at completed auctions. This will give you some type of starting point. You could try and sell them on the forum. I would take scans of each series though and post them in the for sale area.

Offline 6up

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I am blown away by the prices some folks are getting for complete 14th and 15th series sets on ebay. Looks like I should have no problem getting at least $100 for each of those since those are probably the best condition sets I have.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I am blown away by the prices some folks are getting for complete 14th and 15th series sets on ebay. Looks like I should have no problem getting at least $100 for each of those since those are probably the best condition sets I have.
If your 14th is whiteback, I'd be interested in it. I'd also be interested in your 15th, too. PM me and maybe I can save you from a couple of auction listings...Thanks!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »

Gregs website has a nice price guide on it and it's still fairly accurate for series 1-16, and it has a breakdown for condition.  I would use that as a guideline.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
Gregs website has a nice price guide on it and it's still fairly accurate for series 1-16, and it has a breakdown for condition.  I would use that as a guideline.

It's amazing that after 6 years or so it's still pretty accurate.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
It's amazing that after 6 years or so it's still pretty accurate.

I know, most of the vintage items have stayed around the same price.  The price guide may be part of the reason though, like a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »

Sorry to hear of your situation also, and hope it all turns around for you soon.

Sounds like you've already got some very good advice here from what I just read. I would agree especially what billf said about selling on e-bay techinques to raise the most. I think you might be overwhelming yourself trying to concentrate on all of the series at once. You could take it one series at a time and ask right here what you think a good starting price would be. You still might want to try the buy it now action first before running a bidding type. Still folks here I'm sure would be able to help you determine a good BIN and Auction starting price.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Sorry to hear of your situation also, and hope it all turns around for you soon.

Sounds like you've already got some very good advice here from what I just read. I would agree especially what billf said about selling on e-bay techinques to raise the most. I think you might be overwhelming yourself trying to concentrate on all of the series at once. You could take it one series at a time and ask right here what you think a good starting price would be. You still might want to try the buy it now action first before running a bidding type. Still folks here I'm sure would be able to help you determine a good BIN and Auction starting price.

Ahh, look below, I'll buy a Martian Hats or Battlecaps from ya if you have one or both... Shoot me a PM

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline 6up

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
Thanks for the input from everyone.  Certainly gives me a terrible pit in my stomach selling nearly everything.  The worst was that I was forced to sell my silver dollar and half dollar coin collection that my Dad gave me before he passed a few years back.  Just wont be able to recoup the past in many ways. I opted to just keep one of every modern master set and start over at some point.  I guess I just need to be more frugal. Certainly not quitting the hobby as it is just too mucy fun.  I wish I could of scored the Halloween Postcard set as I would of been open to trading any of my vintage items.

anything