Author Topic: Anyone have any Bill Griffith roughs?  (Read 19926 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Anyone have any Bill Griffith roughs?
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
As some of you may have noticed, I had the rough art for Bill Griffith's Heat on ebay on and off again the past few months.  Heat was submitted by Griffith back in '75 but was rejected.  When I bought it some years ago, I decided I'd like to collect a few more unused roughs or at least exchange quality color copies of roughs.  To that end, I made half a dozen color copies of rough.  Well, as time went on, I didn't have much luck finding others (though I did pick up a couple xeroxes of Jay Lynch's unused roughs) and I kind of forgot about that little part of my personal wacky world.  When I was looking to pick up some easy cash and clear some wall space, I decided to sell Heat on ebay.  I was quite surprised when no one bid, despite my having listed it a number of times.  Tonight, I decided to do a u-turn.  I pulled the auction and am going back to my original plan.  Therefore, if anyone has any other Griffith's unused roughs they be interested in trading or even exchanging quality color copies, I"d love to hear from you.  Even if you have one/some that you can't part with, I'd be curious what other titles are out there.  Though I've always liked Griffith's work, I'm open to other unused roughs from back in the original series run.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post and please let me know what'cha got!

Tom

Offline sunsweat

Re: Anyone have any Bill Griffith roughs?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
Hi Tom,

I have an unpublished Jay Lynch Rough, Green Golfers.  I think Kirk Daniel may have some unpublished Griffith roughs.

Bill

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
Hey, Bill

That's cool!  I don't think I've seen Green Golfers before.  I know it may seem like a silly little trade, but if you are up for trading a color copy of Heat for a color copy of Green Golfers, I'd love to do it.  Call it poor man's art (a copy of a rough), but I just like having the different images.

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
That sounds great.  Just pm me your address and I'll do the same.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:52 AM »
Fantastic!  Just sent you a PM.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
I have several (4 or 5) but right off hand don't remember the titles.  If I remember correctly several years back (at least 8-9 yrs) Bill Griffith was selling off his roughs and Matt Stock bought many of them.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:31:46 PM »
I have several (4 or 5) but right off hand don't remember the titles.  If I remember correctly several years back (at least 8-9 yrs) Bill Griffith was selling off his roughs and Matt Stock bought many of them.

Interesting.  I bought my rough of Heat about that (8-9 years) long ago.  I may have bought it from Matt, but I don't recall.  I know I've seen, in various places, some of his other unused roughs.  I wonder how many are out there.

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
I believe Matt bought 20 roughs off Griffith, consisting of both published and unpublished titles.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Interesting.  I bought my rough of Heat about that (8-9 years) long ago.  I may have bought it from Matt, but I don't recall.  I know I've seen, in various places, some of his other unused roughs.  I wonder how many are out there.

I saw your rough of Heat, when it was listed on Ebay - and I really liked it. 

Thought you might enjoy seeing the original Heath bar wrapper it was based on (at least I THINK this is the same one - sure looks like it).  Not really sure how long this one lasted on shelves, but here it is:

Heath - real milk chocolate - candy bar wrapper - 1970's 1980's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
I saw your rough of Heat, when it was listed on Ebay - and I really liked it. 

Thought you might enjoy seeing the original Heath bar wrapper it was based on (at least I THINK this is the same one - sure looks like it).  Not really sure how long this one lasted on shelves, but here it is:

Heath - real milk chocolate - candy bar wrapper - 1970's 1980's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Very cool, Jason, thanks for posting!  While I wasn't a big Heath fan back in the day (always seemed like more of an "adult" candy bar, probably because my mom liked it), I do like it from the nostalgic standpoint.  I'm pretty sure they still make it today, but haven't had one in years.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »
I believe Matt bought 20 roughs off Griffith, consisting of both published and unpublished titles.

I think you are correct - Bill Griffith wanted to sell his lot of roughs as a whole and had some sort of private bidding on it.  Matt bought the whole lot of them and sold many off.  I know I got JIP (JIF), GASOLINE (VASEOLINE), WASH N FLY (which I later sold) and 3-4 others that right now I am blanking on since I have them boxed up until I can display them.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I think you are correct - Bill Griffith wanted to sell his lot of roughs as a whole and had some sort of private bidding on it.  Matt bought the whole lot of them and sold many off.  I know I got JIP (JIF), GASOLINE (VASEOLINE), WASH N FLY (which I later sold) and 3-4 others that right now I am blanking on since I have them boxed up until I can display them.

I've seen Wash 'n Fly before (in fact, I think it's on ebay right now), but I don't recall the other ones.  I'd love to buy/trade for color copies of the ones you have.  I know both plaques and posters have been referred to as "poor man's art", but I think a good quality copy of something like these roughs is more in line with at least my kind of poor man's art.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
I've seen Wash 'n Fly before (in fact, I think it's on ebay right now), but I don't recall the other ones.  I'd love to buy/trade for color copies of the ones you have.  I know both plaques and posters have been referred to as "poor man's art", but I think a good quality copy of something like these roughs is more in line with at least my kind of poor man's art.

I have them framed but I will see if I can get high quality copies for you.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
I think you are correct - Bill Griffith wanted to sell his lot of roughs as a whole and had some sort of private bidding on it.  Matt bought the whole lot of them and sold many off.  I know I got JIP (JIF), GASOLINE (VASEOLINE), WASH N FLY (which I later sold) and 3-4 others that right now I am blanking on since I have them boxed up until I can display them.

JIP is shown on the Lost Wacky site. I don't recall seeing Gasoline anywhere although a gag by that name was in ANS6. Can you show us that one (and any of the others you have that are not at Lost Wackys)? Very cool.  

Topps Vault sold a bunch of Art Spiegelman roughs a few years back that were really neat.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
JIP is shown on the Lost Wacky site. I don't recall seeing Gasoline anywhere although a gag by that name was in ANS6. Can you show us that one (and any of the others you have that are not at Lost Wackys)? Very cool.  

Topps Vault sold a bunch of Art Spiegelman roughs a few years back that were really neat.

My titles are : Lootsavers, Leadens, JIP, Gaseline. I am attaching photos - not great since I did not take them out of frames but will try to get better copies. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
My titles are : Lootsavers, Leadens, JIP, Gaseline. I am attaching photos - not great since I did not take them out of frames but will try to get better copies. 

The jip does look a tad familiar but I don't think I've ever seen the others below.  Thanks for posting the pics!  If you are able to get a better photo, that would be terrific.  It seems there really is some good, classic stuff out there that hasn't seen (much) light of day.  I'm still amazed at what turns up even when it seems like there isn't anything new/old under the sun.

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »

Dave,

Are you talking about the unpublished roughs, Salami Street, Eaters Digest and True Confetti?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
Dave,

Are you talking about the unpublished roughs, Salami Street, Eaters Digest and True Confetti?

Yeah and there was a bunch of published ones as well. From series 3 - Rice A Phoni, Snatch-A-Pak, Windchester, Raw Leaves. Maybe some others.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 04:51:02 AM »
Photocopies of a hundred or so roughs from '73 thru '74 are here http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/index.html

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
Photocopies of a hundred or so roughs from '73 thru '74 are here http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/index.html

Jay, some of your unused ones are hilarious. Among others, "The Pie Look" made me laugh.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »

He really did have some impressive roughs. Thanks for the link.