General Discusions about Artists & Illustrators > Artists & Illustrators

RIP - Al Jaffee

(1/2) > >>

BustedFinger:
I'm sure most of you had heard this but thought that Al Jaffee deserves a post in a forum dedicated to satire and parody.  Al Jaffee died at the age of 102 on April 10, 2023.  Jaffee was the longest continuous contributor to Mad magazine and the fold-in inside the back cover is, IMO, one of the most iconic humor mag features.

How many times did you pull a Mad off the magazine rack and find that someone had already folded in the fold-in?  How many times were you the one who folded it in!!  I have to admit that I did that more than once!!  I even drew a few of my own fold-ins back in the day kind of like a lot of drew our own Wackys!

There are plenty of articles about him but I found this one to be very interesting and informative:

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/j/jaffee_al.htm

BattleCaps:
I haven't heard that name in ages.

I was more a Cracked Magazine person that a Mad, but that being said I had a couple dozen Mad Magazine and loved the fold ins.

Thanks for the link.

Alexeirex:
One of my Mad heroes...RIP
A

freetoes:
RIP to a legend. I wondered how much of a factor the fold-ins were in limiting the number of back issues in pristine condition.

MoldRush:

--- Quote from: BustedFinger on April 17, 2023, 04:07:06 PM ---I'm sure most of you had heard this but thought that Al Jaffee deserves a post in a forum dedicated to satire and parody.  Al Jaffee died at the age of 102 on April 10, 2023.  Jaffee was the longest continuous contributor to Mad magazine and the fold-in inside the back cover is, IMO, one of the most iconic humor mag features.

How many times did you pull a Mad off the magazine rack and find that someone had already folded in the fold-in?  How many times were you the one who folded it in!!  I have to admit that I did that more than once!!  I even drew a few of my own fold-ins back in the day kind of like a lot of drew our own Wackys!

There are plenty of articles about him but I found this one to be very interesting and informative:

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/j/jaffee_al.htm

--- End quote ---
Thanks for posting this.  I was not aware he passed, but did know he was at least well into his 90s, so the news while sad is not entirely shocking.

I was also fascinated with the fold-ins enough to try and create my own.  Wasn’t that hard to conjure up a concept and gag, but finishing the art between the arrows with enough details and distractions to make the gag less obvious was the challenging part.

I received his autobiography as a Christmas gift a few years back.  An interesting read for sure, but not at all what I expected - a very tough childhood living in Lithuania during WW2.

Al’s passing leaves very few if any of the 1970’s-era UGOI (Usual Gang of Idiots) still with us.  I think possibly Angelo Torres is still around, but he may be the only one.

RIP to a unique talent and creator of many iconic images that float around in my head to this day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version