Author Topic: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread  (Read 338539 times)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
Re: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
I see the point about having the series sitting around for a year but when people find out what will be in this series I think it will sell out again in a decent time frame (maybe not two months but it should sell out). Topps may want to increase the box count again but Mike and I will not let it go over 5000 ever or we would not be able to do sketch cards in each box. That's pretty much the sky limit. They are already aware of this. We pointed out it's just better anyway to get a new series out faster than over produce one. They are already committed to series 3 &4 for next year.

Also, I'd like to think we have been careful in thinking through every step but the truth is no matter what we work out some people will like it and some won't. People collect it for different reasons so I expect every change we made will result in equal amounts positive and negative comments. 

This is really excellent.

Thanks for fighting the good fight!  :great:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »

Also, I'd like to think we have been careful in thinking through every step but the truth is no matter what we work out some people will like it and some won't.   People collect it for different reasons so I expect every change we made will result in equal amounts positive and negative comments. 

Though I do like to kibitz this stuff, especially where the marketing aspect comes in, it's always been clear to me that this series has been well-thought out.  Yes, even in spite of the delays experienced with Old School 1.  While I suspect I won't agree with every change and nuance that comes along as the series evolves, I am confident that my overriding response to what comes will be enjoyment.   

I am SO looking forward to Old School series 2 and beyond!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »

Low print runs are nice for collectors, but if there is not enough printed to go around, there will not be sufficient stock to bring in younger generations into the hobby…which does not bode well for Wacky Packages in the long run.

As an adult, I’ve never even heard a kid talk about Wackys.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Keep this in mind. If it wasn't for ANS 2, I may not have gotten back into collection Wacky's.  :o

So there was a lot of ANS 2 to go around, but who knows how many others THAT series attracted by just being there.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
Here's an Old School 2 promo sticker on ebay. I color corrected this one after pulling the pic from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SERIES-2-PROMO-Philly-show-/190454585892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57fa5a24

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
Here's an Old School 2 promo sticker on ebay. I color corrected this one after pulling the pic from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SERIES-2-PROMO-Philly-show-/190454585892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57fa5a24

I was at the show today and they handed them out at the Topps booth. They didn't include them in the entry packages unfortunately, so we couldn't buy extras. Hopefully they'll include them in another release.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
I was at the show today and they handed them out at the Topps booth. They didn't include them in the entry packages unfortunately, so we couldn't buy extras. Hopefully they'll include them in another release.

Hopefully we all don't have to pay prices like $18 to get one of the OS2 promos!!!! I hope SlamJim can get us one. The OS1 promos were very easy to obtain.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
The OS2 promo sticker was based on a Jay Lynch 1970's rough, I guess, but how can I get one of these even though I never attended the Philly Non-Sport Show?

wackyone

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
The OS2 promo sticker was based on a Jay Lynch 1970's rough, I guess, but how can I get one of these even though I never attended the Philly Non-Sport Show?
don't worry,i'm sure a crapload of them will show up,,you'll no dout be able to get one for free if you wait it out

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
Did you run into Turbo while you where there ;)
I'm sure topps has a ton of these and will send them along with our box orders like they did with the BC bonus. I have about 30 of those.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
No reason to buy one on Ebay if you can wait a week or two for me to get my supply and the flyer. I will get everyone one for the cost of an SASE. I'd rather wait until the flyer is ready though so I only have to deal with it all one time as my time is insanely limited the next few months.

Also, Topps will be sending them out with Online Store purchases.

Here is a better pic of the image

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
Very Nice, Dave!

wackyone

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2010, 04:40:44 PM »
very cool,thanx Dave!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
The OS2 promo sticker was based on a Jay Lynch 1970's rough, I guess,
huh. interesting. I didn't know about that one.
[expando]http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/pictures/mrfaulty.jpg[/expando]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
Did you run into Turbo while you where there ;)
I'm sure topps has a ton of these and will send them along with our box orders like they did with the BC bonus. I have about 30 of those.

Yup, Shawn was there. He sat with us for a little while.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Dave, a nice job on that title.  I like it a lot.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
No reason to buy one on Ebay if you can wait a week or two for me to get my supply and the flyer. I will get everyone one for the cost of an SASE. I'd rather wait until the flyer is ready though so I only have to deal with it all one time as my time is insanely limited the next few months.

Also, Topps will be sending them out with Online Store purchases.

Here is a better pic of the image

I like this one. And it's a black Wacky. I don't recall any black Wackys in the OS. But so far there's 2 in Old School and 1 in ANS7. Blacky packages are a rarity and all 3 are yours. Are you trying to be politically correct?

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
I like this one. And it's a black Wacky. I don't recall any black Wackys in the OS. But so far there's 2 in Old School and 1 in ANS7. Blacky packages are a rarity and all 3 are yours. Are you trying to be politically correct?
the original box was a really dark blue I thought. Is this dark blue or black?

no black OS? there's a few I recall off hand:  Swiss Mess, Sleepy, Umbrella, Irish Ring

wackyone

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »

no black OS? there's a few I recall off hand:  Swiss Mess, Sleepy, Umbrella, Irish Ring

how bout,,Mobsters and Flare as well

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Yup, Shawn was there. He sat with us for a little while.
I'M surprised you guys could sit together. I'm sure he had to vanish for a few min. to post the auction from his phone  :D

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

You are da man!  :great:

Great piece -- makes me want a beer! I was thinking the box was a super-dark midnight blue? I agree, the dark Wackys are sweet and I think Botch Tape may be unique in the sheer amount of darkness "behind" the image. Always thought it was almost in a category by itself. Great flies on that one -- they appear stuck and yet not fatally so -- an amazing subtle touch imo (and pure vintage Wacky in my book).

wackyone

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
That was intentional

Maybe...

ahh i know why,,,the BIG SECRET is OUT!

A complete set of Jay's sketch cards is going to be printed!!,,kinda like a subset!
Now everyone can own all the color and rare b&w sketch cards without spending $1000's or cutting up the hard to find SC posters,,and it helps lessen the change of counterfits.  :great:

great news thanx..LOL

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »

I just didn't recall any. None jumped to mind. For some reason the new ones have stood out to me. Maybe because the black printing is so much more saturated today.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »

Yes indeed, This is a very cool title, And I have 1 for the 1st 8 who send me a pm.

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »
I just didn't recall any. None jumped to mind. For some reason the new ones have stood out to me. Maybe because the black printing is so much more saturated today.
just kidding with you a bit. I'll admit I had similar thoughts when I first saw the Coach Motel promo card. seeing an all black product surrounded by a black border looked odd. Still does. Maybe a good case for the color borders

Offline Swiski

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »

Yes indeed, This is a very cool title, And I have 1 for the 1st 8 who send me a pm.

Did you send PMs to those who made the 8? Regardless, I'm not worried about getting this promo...but I love this parody!! SlamJim knows how to capture the vintage nuanaces in his artwork!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
Love the Mr Faulty!  A fellow packaging collector acquired an original Mr Salty box last month, and just last week was asking me about the old Mr Faulty rough that he'd read about online.  So cool to see this one brought to life!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
Love the Mr Faulty!  A fellow packaging collector acquired an original Mr Salty box last month, and just last week was asking me about the old Mr Faulty rough that he'd read about online.  So cool to see this one brought to life!

What does the text say on the side of the box?  Where did they....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
What does the text say on the side of the box?  Where did they....

You mean on the side of an original box?  He hasn't posted the box to Flickr yet, but I'll see if I can get some preview photos.  If that's what you mean.  Just let me know, and I'll send him a request.

I am not sure that his box is a 1970's box or an early 80's one.  I do know that he'd been looking for a Mr Salty box for years and years. 

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »
Did you send PMs to those who made the 8? Regardless, I'm not worried about getting this promo...but I love this parody!! SlamJim knows how to capture the vintage nuanaces in his artwork!

Yes I sent out PM's to the 8 who are getting one and a pm to the ones who weren't able to get 1, I answer all pm's in the order I get them.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »
You mean on the side of an original box?  He hasn't posted the box to Flickr yet, but I'll see if I can get some preview photos.  If that's what you mean.  Just let me know, and I'll send him a request.

I am not sure that his box is a 1970's box or an early 80's one.  I do know that he'd been looking for a Mr Salty box for years and years. 
Sorry, I meant on the wacky.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
You are da man!  :great:

Great piece -- makes me want a beer! I was thinking the box was a super-dark midnight blue? I agree, the dark Wackys are sweet and I think Botch Tape may be unique in the sheer amount of darkness "behind" the image. Always thought it was almost in a category by itself. Great flies on that one -- they appear stuck and yet not fatally so -- an amazing subtle touch imo (and pure vintage Wacky in my book).

I agree on both accounts. I like the promo title quite a bit. And Botch is definitely an odd bird.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »
Botch Tape may be unique in the sheer amount of darkness "behind" the image. Always thought it was almost in a category by itself. Great flies on that one -- they appear stuck and yet not fatally so -- an amazing subtle touch imo (and pure vintage Wacky in my book).

That is an excellent point and one of the things I noticed about a lot of the original series stickers. Even when things are dead, they don't look overly morbid. The fingers in KFF, Knuckles and Bustedfinger look like they are alive and kicking, (to use a bad metaphor), as opposed to decomposing. The Camel on Camals is comically dead. Even the pets on Putrid and Choke Wagon look like they could be acting. ACTING!

- OK, I just leafed through some stickers and the bird on Hurtz Canary Food looks pretty dead! And the feet in Feetena are borderline.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:59 PM »
That is an excellent point and one of the things I noticed about a lot of the original series stickers. Even when things are dead, they don't look overly morbid. The fingers in KFF, Knuckles and Bustedfinger look like they are alive and kicking, (to use a bad metaphor), as opposed to decomposing. The Camel on Camals is comically dead. Even the pets on Putrid and Choke Wagon look like they could be acting. ACTING!

- OK, I just leafed through some stickers and the bird on Hurtz Canary Food looks pretty dead! And the feet in Feetena are borderline.

Yep. This is precisely what I love so much about the vintage Wackys. It's a subtlety that's surprising hard to create imo and one I wish there was more of in the newer series. Maybe we'll see more of this in the Old School series? I for one would love it.