Author Topic: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread  (Read 338525 times)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Re: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
I went to the OSU Festival of Cartoon Art this year and at one of the events, Bill Griffith was sitting in front of me inking a Zippy comic strip. So, of course, I started talking to him about Wacky Packages, sketch cards, etc. He's was very nice.

Very cool, that must have been fun!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2010, 06:29:08 AM »
the 5x7's are back,,,they did kinda grow on me

Sort of. There are some changes but for the better I think. More later when the flyer comes out.

I have mixed feelings about so many different artists sketch cards,i don't collect them,just seems kinda unnecessary

There are 5000 boxes this time and there is no way Jay can do that many. Jay is still doing the majority though.The sketch cards are specifically set up to give a bunch of different collecting options. Some very easy and some more difficult. I put it together based on some suggestions here along with what was best for the series and what was reasonable for the artists. More on this when the flyer comes out.

Dave..any word on changing the choice of card stock this time?

Yes, things are different but I can't talk about it at this time.Again, probably when the flyer comes out within two weeks.

Online deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »
Definitely not! It's a double meaning reference to having a beer tab in a bar along with the pull tab on the can.
Dave,just 9  5x7 or the whole base set?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:15 AM »
Dave,just 9  5x7 or the whole base set?

There will be 33 titles like last time, 9 puzzle piece/ checklists, 1 series 3 promo sticker (which will have a different look), 9 5x7 stickers (3 per box)(with a different look), 6 other chase cards (I think 3 per box though I haven't checked on this - these replace the logo stickers) and poster in the box. There will also be a binder with series 2 wax wrapper, uncut sheets, a wall poster and a sketch poster. Finally there will be an addition I can't talk about yet (this is not a box item).

No "Golden Ticket" promotion. Too many legal hassles for this type of series. If it can be worked out I am still trying to get something like this for a future series.

Also, I did some sketch cards as well but it's not indicated on that ad. I posted a first version. I'll replace it when they email me the final one.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
Knowing that there are nine 5x7's again helps me budget for getting three boxes again.  Thanks for this info, Dave.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

wackyone

« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Knowing that there are nine 5x7's again helps me budget for getting three boxes again.  Thanks for this info, Dave.

ya for sure,i got all 9 of them in 3 boxes,,that was nice!

great update Dave!!!!!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
ya for sure,i got all 9 of them in 3 boxes,,that was nice!

I ended up duping on one of the trios with Old School 1.  Luckily forum folks were readily available to swap sets, making completing the grouping very easy.  I kind of like these larger sized ones.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
There will be 33 titles like last time, 9 puzzle piece/ checklists, 1 series 3 promo sticker (which will have a different look), 9 5x7 stickers (3 per box)(with a different look), 6 other chase cards (I think 3 per box though I haven't checked on this - these replace the logo stickers) and poster in the box. There will also be a binder with series 2 wax wrapper, uncut sheets, a wall poster and a sketch poster. Finally there will be an addition I can't talk about yet (this is not a box item).

No "Golden Ticket" promotion. Too many legal hassles for this type of series. If it can be worked out I am still trying to get something like this for a future series.

Also, I did some sketch cards as well but it's not indicated on that ad. I posted a first version. I'll replace it when they email me the final one.

How about the price per box?  Will it be about the same as OLDS1?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »

Dave, were the quantities of the sketch cards divided up evenly by artist, or is it more random?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
How about the price per box?  Will it be about the same as OLDS1?

The Online Store price I think will be the same. Not sure what the pre-sale price will be, shipping and all that stuff. I'll know that after Thanksgiving.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
Dave, were the quantities of the sketch cards divided up evenly by artist, or is it more random?

Jay did around 3/5ths of the sketches. The other artists did various amounts with the most being 300 I believe. There are 20 Wacky characters represented. No one off characters. Everyone worked in groups of 20 sketches (example if someone did 200 they did 10 of each character). However, they could work with that character how they wanted so there will be plenty of unique sketches. So you can collect them all kinds of ways: randomly, by artist, a set of 20 different characters by random artists, a set of 20 different characters by each artist, just by specific character and so on. Obviously Jay's will be the easiest to find or to buy.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Jay did around 3/5ths of the sketches. The other artists did various amounts with the most being 300 I believe. There are 20 Wacky characters represented. No one off characters. Everyone worked in groups of 20 sketches (example if someone did 200 they did 10 of each character). However, they could work with that character how they wanted so there will be plenty of unique sketches. So you can collect them all kinds of ways: randomly, by artist, a set of 20 different characters by random artists, a set of 20 different characters by each artist, just by specific character and so on. Obviously Jay's will be the easiest to find or to buy.

Thanks!  I think that makes sense but just to make sure, each artist did the SAME 20 titles, and not 20 different titles?  If that's the case I think I like it.  Going full bore completist may be tough though because with 11 artists that's 220 sketches if you went after all 20 titles for each artist!  Plus I imagine with the various quantities they did there are probably some titles done in very small quantities.  If an artist did only 100 sketches they would only be doing 5 of each title.  That would be brutal to collect!  Good info to ponder though.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »
Thanks!  I think that makes sense but just to make sure, each artist did the SAME 20 titles, and not 20 different titles?  If that's the case I think I like it.  Going full bore completist may be tough though because with 11 artists that's 220 sketches if you went after all 20 titles for each artist!  Plus I imagine with the various quantities they did there are probably some titles done in very small quantities.  If an artist did only 100 sketches they would only be doing 5 of each title.  That would be brutal to collect!  Good info to ponder though.

Yes, it was set up so that everyone from the person that wants only one sketch to the person that wants to go full out can can work with it with lots of choices in between and everyone still gets a sketch regardless.

As for quantities there would be the same amount of each character done per artist. So an artist that did 200 would have done 10 of each character, no more, no less. So there are potentially 10 "sets" of character sketches that could be collected by that artist for example (though there may be differences drawn on each card as they had the leeway to add word balloons, do unique sketches, etc.).

There are only 20 Wacky characters that could be drawn (15 OS and 5 OLDS2). This way we can do 20 different each series.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:54:35 AM by slamjim »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
Yes, it was set up so that everyone from the person that wants only one sketch to the person that wants to go full out can can work with it with lots of choices in between and everyone still gets a sketch regardless.

As for quantities there would be the same amount of each character done per artist. So an artist that did 200 would have done 10 of each character, no more, no less. So there are potentially 10 "sets" of character sketches that could be collected by that artist for example (though there may be differences drawn on each card as they had the leeway to add word balloons, do unique sketches, etc.).

There are only 20 Wacky characters that could be drawn (15 OS and 5 OLDS2). This way we can do 20 different each series.

Awesome, you say 10 artists but if you did some as well aren't there 11 artists?  I counted 10 on the ad flyer.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
Did Jay work off the same 20 characters as well?  This would mean that he did about 150 of each character.  Is there an approximate number of the colored sketches being released in Series Two.  No Nitwit or One Off Sketches this time around.  Too bad.  These sketches were extremely popular in the last series.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
Did Jay work off the same 20 characters as well?  This would mean that he did about 150 of each character.  Is there an approximate number of the colored sketches being released in Series Two.  No Nitwit or One Off Sketches this time around.  Too bad.  These sketches were extremely popular in the last series.

I kind of liked the fact that there are no "one-offs" this time around.  They didn't have anything to do with the 70's or Old School titles so I didn't even bother to collect them, but that's just me.  I know others liked them.  To me it's cleaner and simpler this way. 

My inclination on this is to try for all 20 titles from Jay, and then one each from each of the other 10 artists.  The fact that there should be 150 per sketch from Jay means that they should be fairly affordable, like $20-$30.00 each.  I don't think collecting all 20 from each artist would be realistic, and even if it was it would cost a fortune.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »
I kind of liked the fact that there are no "one-offs" this time around.  They didn't have anything to do with the 70's or Old School titles so I didn't even bother to collect them, but that's just me.  I know others liked them.  To me it's cleaner and simpler this way. 

My inclination on this is to try for all 20 titles from Jay, and then one each from each of the other 10 artists.  The fact that there should be 150 per sketch from Jay means that they should be fairly affordable, like $20-$30.00 each.  I don't think collecting all 20 from each artist would be realistic, and even if it was it would cost a fortune.
It's sad to see one of the great Wacky completists get old and complacent.  :P

Seriously, I'm always impressed with your collecting drive. That sounds like quite the task, but it does sound reasonably attainable. I'm looking forward to the pics when you complete the job!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
Awesome, you say 10 artists but if you did some as well aren't there 11 artists?  I counted 10 on the ad flyer.

Yes, there are 11 sketch artists. I think you are misreading what I wrote though. I was just using an example of an artist that may have done 200 sketches. That artist would have done 10 of each of the 20 characters. Therefore there are potentially 10 "sets" you could make from that particular artist since there are equal amounts of each character drawn by that artist.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »

Yes, everyone worked with the same characters. No nitwits or one off sketches however someone may draw the Generally Demented light bulb with another light bulb over it's head, or cracked or saying something and so on so there will be a number of unique sketches.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »

I loved the nitwit's and one off sketches. In a way I'm kinda glad so they will always be preserved with the first series. I'm also kinda glad because then I may not have to spend as much money to get one of each sketch character. I'm sad because it might hurt the value of those sketches as we have seen on ebay. It may also hurt the overall sales of OLDS2 because there won't be people like me buying 100's of boxes to find the one-offs.
We will have to see.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Yes, there are 11 sketch artists. I think you are misreading what I wrote though. I was just using an example of an artist that may have done 200 sketches. That artist would have done 10 of each of the 20 characters. Therefore there are potentially 10 "sets" you could make from that particular artist since there are equal amounts of each character drawn by that artist.

Yup, that's the way I understood it too.  The #'s I was referencing were just hypothetical examples.  From what it sounds like, the bottom-line with the artist quantities is that Jay did approx 3,000 sketches, so that leaves 10 artists to do 2,000 sketches, but that doesn't mean that each of the remaining 10 did exactly 200.  One could have done 300, another could have done 100, etc.   

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
It's sad to see one of the great Wacky completists get old and complacent.  :P

Seriously, I'm always impressed with your collecting drive. That sounds like quite the task, but it does sound reasonably attainable. I'm looking forward to the pics when you complete the job!

Ha!  I know, every one of these series is a little different than the last for the completist like me.  I think getting one from each of Jay's 20 makes sense because he did the bulk of the sketches, and he did all of them in Series 1.  I'd love to get 20 from all of the artists but that's nuts to even think about!  I think one from each of the others would be cool, and you could be somewhat selective of which ones you got.  Maybe you try to get a different title from each artist, or maybe you try to get the same title from each artist which would be even more challenging!  That would be cool though because you could compare how each artist did the same titles differently. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »
Ha!  I know, every one of these series is a little different than the last for the completist like me.  I think getting one from each of Jay's 20 makes sense because he did the bulk of the sketches, and he did all of them in Series 1.  I'd love to get 20 from all of the artists but that's nuts to even think about!  I think one from each of the others would be cool, and you could be somewhat selective of which ones you got.  Maybe you try to get a different title from each artist, or maybe you try to get the same title from each artist which would be even more challenging!  That would be cool though because you could compare how each artist did the same titles differently. 

Something I have learned - sell high and wait to buy because you will save a ton of cash later. Actually, I think we have all learned that ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
I loved the nitwit's and one off sketches. In a way I'm kinda glad so they will always be preserved with the first series. I'm also kinda glad because then I may not have to spend as much money to get one of each sketch character. I'm sad because it might hurt the value of those sketches as we have seen on ebay. It may also hurt the overall sales of OLDS2 because there won't be people like me buying 100's of boxes to find the one-offs.
We will have to see.

I know what you mean, the nitwits were cool, and although I still have a "common" b&w nitwit, as well as the color one, I do sort of regret selling my unique b&w nitwit.  Some of the other one-offs didn't seem very Wacky related, so they didn't do much for me.

Even though people may not buy extra boxes of Old School 2 looking for one-off sketches, they will probably still be looking for color sketches, so hopefully overall sales will be strong, so that we can all enjoy future series of new Wacky stickers!  That is really the most important thing, which sometimes seems to be lost or forgotten - the Wackys in the regular set.  I love having the new Wacky art to enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:15:16 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
we can all enjoy future series of new Wacky stickers!  That is really the most important thing, which sometimes seems to be lost or forgotten - the Wackys in the regular set.  I love having the new Wacky art to enjoy!

I know what you mean but the sketches are derived from the art so you can't have one without the other. For me getting the sketches is like getting a little piece of art with each box. How cool is that!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
Even though people may not buy extra boxes of Old School 2 looking for one-off sketches, they will probably still be looking for color sketches, so hopefully overall sales will be strong, so that we can all enjoy future series of new Wacky stickers!  

Yeah, we knew the one-offs had their audience but again, there are tons of one-offs this time in a sense because there are 11 people doing their own styles and in many cases different takes on the character within their groupings.

There will also be color sketches again by Jay and joined by Bill Griffith and Bhob Stewart. There will be more color this time as well. If some people don't know who Bhob is he was also one of the original Wacky rough artists. Some roughs he did were Rabid Shave, Mustard Charge, Armor Hot Dogs, Awful Bits, Weakinson Blades and others. I think more people were searching for the color than the one-offs and this time you get two other original Wacky artists color sketches as well.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
Yeah, we knew the one-offs had their audience but again, there are tons of one-offs this time in a sense because there are 11 people doing their own styles and in many cases different takes on the character within their groupings.

There will also be color sketches again by Jay and joined by Bill Griffith and Bhob Stewart. There will be more color this time as well. If some people don't know who Bhob is he was also one of the original Wacky rough artists. Some roughs he did were Rabid Shave, Mustard Charge, Armor Hot Dogs, Awful Bits, Weakinson Blades and others. I think more people were searching for the color than the one-offs and this time you get two other original Wacky artists color sketches as well.

Awful Bits is right up there with Cap'n Crud for me as far as OS goes!  Now I definitely want to pull a Bhob Stewart sketch!!!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »

Its funny that after I got beaten up for calling those "one offs" and I gave in and we all decided to refer to them as "exotics" that "one offs" is now the term being used....  :P
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2010, 05:22:51 AM »
Its funny that after I got beaten up for calling those "one offs" and I gave in and we all decided to refer to them as "exotics" that "one offs" is now the term being used....  :P

I actually do use "exotics" BTW........I probably used "one off's" because that's what what used in the message I responded to, but I definitely like the term "exotics"!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »
I actually do use "exotics" BTW........I probably used "one off's" because that's what what used in the message I responded to, but I definitely like the term "exotics"!
Exotics reminds me of erotic or exotic dancers. I don't know if they go together with Wacky's? :o

wackyone

« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2010, 07:08:05 AM »
Exotics reminds me of erotic or exotic dancers. I don't know if they go together with Wacky's? :o

that or really high end import cars..they both are sweet  :o

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:02 AM »
that or really high end import cars..they both are sweet  :o
I guess there are also exotic animals. I think I will keep referring to the cards as one off's.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
Exotics reminds me of erotic or exotic dancers.

......and the problem with that is?..........

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
I guess there are also exotic animals. I think I will keep referring to the cards as one off's.

At least with regards to the new series, it doesn't appear it will matter.  :-)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »
             So is OLDS 2 going to ship in January or not sure yet?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL