Author Topic: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread  (Read 338528 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: WP Old School 2 - SPOILER Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »
Very true.  My son who is 15 1/2 just earned his Eagle Scout award and does seem to have just a vague understanding of politics etc.  Not trying to get into a political fight with anyone, but he said he feels scared that the country keeps getting further and further in debt.  Are you still active in scouts?  I'm the secretary and a committee member and go on a fair amount of the campouts and help in other places I'm needed.

Still fairly active... I am an Assistant Scout Master with our Troop and my wife and I are active with a Venture Crew. My son is 17 and working on his Eagle project. He was diagnosed with leukemia a little over 2 years ago (has been in remission for a little over a year now) so for his project he reallly wants to get 100 volunteers to sign up with the national bone marrow registry. Its gonna be tight since he turns 18 at the end of December but I think he will make it. Luckily he was already Life rank with most of his merit badges when he was diagnosed. He  lost 14 months in terms of any Scouting activities, but now that he is feeling well again, he decided to make a run for it. I went through the Wood Badge program 3 years ago and my wife is just finishing her wood badge as well. We hope to have double ceremony early next year combining her Wood Badge beeding ceremony and my son's Eagle presentation.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

wackyone

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
Lovin' this promo card,very cool Dave,it fits "retro stye"
huge thanx to "pupsi" for sending some out!
here's some cool stuff i found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGp2G-aMi0

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
Lovin' this promo card,very cool Dave,it fits "retro stye"
huge thanx to "pupsi" for sending some out!
here's some cool stuff i found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGp2G-aMi0

(Image removed from quote.)

Great commercial!   They're Crisplier.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
I fell in love with Wackys when a friend showed me his older brother's Cap'n Crud sticker. I was in awe. I loved Cap'n Crunch cereal and I was fascinated with seeing it turned on its head. The skull & crossbones Quaker Oats guy is what did it for me, plus the fact that the Cap'n seemed to be in distress (in a funny/harmless way) -- and of course the word "Crud".

I started buying them at our local Rexall Drug store (with Ice Cube chocolates). It was a couple miles by bike, which seemed like a LONG way way back then. I was 8.

I must have hit the tail end of the 1st series with one pack, because I had a 6-Up and Chock Full o' Nuts sticker in my collection. Must have been just at the transition to the 2nd series. Never knew the die-cuts or ads existed until a few years ago when I got back into Wackys.

I never bought a lot of 'em (never completed a set), but I have always remembered my favorites and the ones my friends had that I really wanted. I remember paying 50 cents for a Busted Finger in the 3rd grade (that was a LOT of money back then!), and the sticker I really wanted (and finally drew) was Fright Guard. The green gas and the guy turning green! SO FUNNY! Hawaiian Punks was another classic.

Every vintage series takes me back to various feelings of growing up. My overall favorite series was the 9th. G.I. Toe wrestling an ape on the side of the box is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Back then I stuck ALL my Wackys either on my bedroom door (somewhere I have photos of these -- I'll try to find them and post), or binders (I remember sticking a Pupsi sticker on a binder because I didn't like it enough to put on my door). Still amazed that my parents let me do it.

The art will always stay with me, followed closely by the gags. There was something about the vintage stickers. Like early Warner Bros and Popeye cartoons they had a depth that is simply fascinating. A depth I can explore over and over again and never tire of it.

Bottom line: For me Wackys will always occupy a warm and cozy spot in my heart of hearts until the day I die.  :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
I fell in love with Wackys when a friend showed me his older brother's Cap'n Crud sticker. I was in awe. I loved Cap'n Crunch cereal and I was fascinated with seeing it turned on its head. The skull & crossbones Quaker Oats guy is what did it for me, plus the fact that the Cap'n seemed to be in distress (in a funny/harmless way) -- and of course the word "Crud".

I started buying them at our local Rexall Drug store (with Ice Cube chocolates). It was a couple miles by bike, which seemed like a LONG way way back then. I was 8.

I must have hit the tail end of the 1st series with one pack, because I had a 6-Up and Chock Full o' Nuts sticker in my collection. Must have been just at the transition to the 2nd series. Never knew the die-cuts or ads existed until a few years ago when I got back into Wackys.

I never bought a lot of 'em (never completed a set), but I have always remembered my favorites and the ones my friends had that I really wanted. I remember paying 50 cents for a Busted Finger in the 3rd grade (that was a LOT of money back then!), and the sticker I really wanted (and finally drew) was Fright Guard. The green gas and the guy turning green! SO FUNNY! Hawaiian Punks was another classic.

Every vintage series takes me back to various feelings of growing up. My overall favorite series was the 9th. G.I. Toe wrestling an ape on the side of the box is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Back then I stuck ALL my Wackys either on my bedroom door (somewhere I have photos of these -- I'll try to find them and post), or binders (I remember sticking a Pupsi sticker on a binder because I didn't like it enough to put on my door). Still amazed that my parents let me do it.

The art will always stay with me, followed closely by the gags. There was something about the vintage stickers. Like early Warner Bros and Popeye cartoons they had a depth that is simply fascinating. A depth I can explore over and over again and never tire of it.

Bottom line: For me Wackys will always occupy a warm and cozy spot in my heart of hearts until the day I die.  :great:

This is the same opinion of quite a few of us collectors. It brings back fond memories of our youth. I can almost visualize a certain situation as a kid opening and trading cards. It brings back some strange warm and fuzzys. I can't explain it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »
This is the same opinion of quite a few of us collectors. It brings back fond memories of our youth. I can almost visualize a certain situation as a kid opening and trading cards. It brings back some strange warm and fuzzys. I can't explain it.

Sometimes I get a strange deja vu feeling when I flip through a stack of original Wackys from the same series, like I'm going back in time when I was a kid!  It's pretty cool when it happens.  It seems to happen if the stack I am going through is in NM shape, obviously reminding me of the way they came out of packs.  I don't quite remember how I kept my Wackys as a kid but I'm pretty sure I kept them in stacks by series, probably with rubber bands around them.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

I think the social aspect of collecting wackys was quite big for me as well.  If so many other kids weren't collecting Wackys, I'm not sure how into them I would have been.  Certainly, I would still have liked and collected them, but the duration of my collecting and the ardor with which I pursued them would likely have been diminished.  Even today, if the internet didn't exist but wackys were still being produced, I don't think I'd be quite as into them.  Having this forum, and the occasional gathering in person, helps make the hobby enjoyable.

And, since this thread is about Old School 2, let me say Mr Faulty is fantastic!  I know it's still a ways off so I don't want to get too looking forward here, but I'm fired up for the series!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »
I think the social aspect of collecting wackys was quite big for me as well.  If so many other kids weren't collecting Wackys, I'm not sure how into them I would have been.  Certainly, I would still have liked and collected them, but the duration of my collecting and the ardor with which I pursued them would likely have been diminished.  Even today, if the internet didn't exist but wackys were still being produced, I don't think I'd be quite as into them.  Having this forum, and the occasional gathering in person, helps make the hobby enjoyable.

And, since this thread is about Old School 2, let me say Mr Faulty is fantastic!  I know it's still a ways off so I don't want to get too looking forward here, but I'm fired up for the series!

I agree that the forum helps stoke my interest these days, but back then my friends really weren't into them like I was. Some were vaguely interested but I just fell in love with them. As a result, I didn't have many trading opportunities. I think all my trades consisted of a couple times with my younger brother and once with a kid a school, and the one at school wasn't really a trade. He charged me $1 for Moobeline (outrageous at the time). And it was creased because he brought it to school in his pocket. As you can see, the kid was kind of a dick but I needed the card because the series was gone and I inexplicably never pulled that one!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:44 AM »
Oops, I hit "quote" instead of "modify." Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:21:28 AM by Gurgle »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »
Oops, I hit "quote" instead of "modify." Nothing to see here.
and if you hit "remove", we *really* would have nothing to see here...  ;)

loving that Mister Salty though. I remember eating those up as a kid and it always seemed like a special treat whenever we had them. I think we usually had the sticks instead of the pretzel shape (is there a name for that shape? seems like there should be)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »

loving that Mister Salty though. I remember eating those up as a kid and it always seemed like a special treat whenever we had them. I think we usually had the sticks instead of the pretzel shape (is there a name for that shape? seems like there should be)

Yeah, the two types of pretzels we always had in the house when I was growing up was Mr. Salty (the classic thin pretzel style) and Bachman Pretzel Stix, which were the long narrow sticks that came in a snack sized little yellow box with plastic wrap and had about a pound of salt on them.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
Still fairly active... I am an Assistant Scout Master with our Troop and my wife and I are active with a Venture Crew. My son is 17 and working on his Eagle project. He was diagnosed with leukemia a little over 2 years ago (has been in remission for a little over a year now) so for his project he reallly wants to get 100 volunteers to sign up with the national bone marrow registry. Its gonna be tight since he turns 18 at the end of December but I think he will make it. Luckily he was already Life rank with most of his merit badges when he was diagnosed. He  lost 14 months in terms of any Scouting activities, but now that he is feeling well again, he decided to make a run for it. I went through the Wood Badge program 3 years ago and my wife is just finishing her wood badge as well. We hope to have double ceremony early next year combining her Wood Badge beeding ceremony and my son's Eagle presentation.

Sorry to hear about your son's leukemia.  We have a boy in our troop who sustained a head injury which left him disabled.  He too had finished most of his badges prior to his accident and just lacked his project and a few merit badges.  He got them done and in fact he helped on my son's.  My wife has gone through Wood Badge, I just never had the time. I used to work every other weekend and it was a real hassle to try to trade with people.  Now I only work one weekend a month since March.  I hope your son gets his Eagle and more importantly stays in remission from leukemia.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »
I agree that the forum helps stoke my interest these days, but back then my friends really weren't into them like I was. Some were vaguely interested but I just fell in love with them. As a result, I didn't have many trading opportunities. I think all my trades consisted of a couple times with my younger brother and once with a kid a school, and the one at school wasn't really a trade. He charged me $1 for Moobeline (outrageous at the time). And it was creased because he brought it to school in his pocket. As you can see, the kid was kind of a dick but I needed the card because the series was gone and I inexplicably never pulled that one!

I was pretty much a "solo" Wacky collector too as a kid surprisingly. I just loved them and thought they were the coolest thing. The whole experience, bicycling up the street to the corner store with my allowance to buy some packs. Hoping to see new titles and then totally digging the artwork and gags. Unfortunately I had no idea (and no one else around me) knew to keep them stored nicely over the years. I stuck em, gave my doubles away, but did manamge to keep some in a shoebox under the bed. Strangely enough, that shoe box was never found. Never could get the Mutt's. Had the other of the big 4, but Mutts was the card I could never get. I never saved the wrappers, always threw them out. Hard to believe that these cards have been around for so long.

Bring on the Olds 2 !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about your son's leukemia.  We have a boy in our troop who sustained a head injury which left him disabled.  He too had finished most of his badges prior to his accident and just lacked his project and a few merit badges.  He got them done and in fact he helped on my son's.  My wife has gone through Wood Badge, I just never had the time. I used to work every other weekend and it was a real hassle to try to trade with people.  Now I only work one weekend a month since March.  I hope your son gets his Eagle and more importantly stays in remission from leukemia.

OFF TOPIC WARNING....  Thanks, so far so good. The longer he goes, the better his chances are that it will not return. After 4 years, he has about the same chance of it returning as someone who never had it has of getting it (did that make sense to anyone but me).

Definitely try to make time for Wood Badge if you can. Its a really good program. Alhough, I am probably not telling you anything you haven't already heard. I don't know what kind of training you may have had in terms of business. A lot of the material in Wood Badge is similar to what you get in various management training classes but presented in the context of Scouting.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »
I was pretty much a "solo" Wacky collector too as a kid surprisingly. I just loved them and thought they were the coolest thing. The whole experience, bicycling up the street to the corner store with my allowance to buy some packs. Hoping to see new titles and then totally digging the artwork and gags. Unfortunately I had no idea (and no one else around me) knew to keep them stored nicely over the years. I stuck em, gave my doubles away, but did manamge to keep some in a shoebox under the bed. Strangely enough, that shoe box was never found. Never could get the Mutt's. Had the other of the big 4, but Mutts was the card I could never get. I never saved the wrappers, always threw them out. Hard to believe that these cards have been around for so long.

Bring on the Olds 2 !

My friends all bought them, but to stick them on stuff. Like you, I found I could not get rid of that last one of each title. I had to keep them because they were so compelling. I really didn't collect anything else at the time and didn't consider myself a collector until I found I was on series 12 and felt compelled to get them all.

Anyone else use returnable pop bottles to help fund their WP habit? I spent many afernoons after school pulling a wagon up and down the alleys of Dayton Ohio picking up pop bottles to return. My sister and I would usually make about 10 dollars a wagon load, which we felt was a fortune. 5 bucks would buy a whole lotta candy back then,

Offline dth1971

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
When will there be a list of OS2 entries (with Sue Mee and Mister Faulty the confirmed two) and a pre-order date?

Offline kidwacky

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
My friends all bought them, but to stick them on stuff. Like you, I found I could not get rid of that last one of each title. I had to keep them because they were so compelling. I really didn't collect anything else at the time and didn't consider myself a collector until I found I was on series 12 and felt compelled to get them all.

Anyone else use returnable pop bottles to help fund their WP habit? I spent many afernoons after school pulling a wagon up and down the alleys of Dayton Ohio picking up pop bottles to return. My sister and I would usually make about 10 dollars a wagon load, which we felt was a fortune. 5 bucks would buy a whole lotta candy back then,

I use to collect pop bottles and mow lawns in the summer for the cash to buy wackies. I started with series 3 and continued thru series 6. The wackies dried up about then as the Jiffy (7 / 11) quit carring them. I never stuck them on anything and even traded with friends back then. I stored them in a Radio Shack Slot Machine box all these years and started to finish the collection about 10 years ago. The box is now setting on my desk storing the latest series wackies until I move then to the card storage boxes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:13:49 PM by kidwacky »

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
When will there be a list of OS2 entries (with Sue Mee and Mister Faulty the confirmed two)
I'm pretty sure, (I really hope), that it will be like with OLDS1 - and the first time anyone sees the list of entries is when they open their first pack and look at the checklist inside.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »

Same here. Loved those sticks! Looks like their official name is "Veri-Thin Pretzel Sticks" :)
Years ago when I colorized some of Jay's lost roughs using Photoshop, I used this box as a reference:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure, (I really hope), that it will be like with OLDS1 - and the first time anyone sees the list of entries is when they open their first pack and look at the checklist inside.

There will be the same amount spoiled this time around when the flyer comes out. Whatever is on the box and wrapper plus Sue Mee. So I think that would be 5 of them. The rest won't be shown until you open a pack. A few sketch cards will also be shown.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »
Same here. Loved those sticks! Looks like their official name is "Veri-Thin Pretzel Sticks" :)
Years ago when I colorized some of Jay's lost roughs using Photoshop, I used this box as a reference:

I could not find that box so I went with the other one. That one is the one from Jay's original rough but the theme is still the same so I'm not sweating the change.

BTW, for people who asked both boxes are black.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »
There will be the same amount spoiled this time around when the flyer comes out. Whatever is on the box and wrapper plus Sue Mee. So I think that would be 5 of them. The rest won't be shown until you open a pack. A few sketch cards will also be shown.

But no Wack-O-Mercial cards like ANS7 have!

wackyone

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »

God no!...then it would called "New School"

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Hey what's wrong with the Wack-o-mercial stickers?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
BUMP

Anyone who is not already on my mailing list for Old School updates can PM me their EMAIL and I will add you to the list. You will get updates on when to expect OLDS2 to come out, any news about pre-orders and be able to get the promo card and flyer for the cost of a SASE. I will send an update out this week. Hope to have the promos and flyer around November 8th or so.

Offline Dead

« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
Promo card for SASE?  Sweet!  I look forward to it!

Offline Turbo

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
I'M surprised you guys could sit together. I'm sure he had to vanish for a few min. to post the auction from his phone  :D

Do you want me to explain to you everyday where I'm at and what I'm doing.

I'm sure he had to sneek away to list that auction, I sat at the table and listed it on my iPhone for your information.Why would I have to sneek away, it's no secret.
Leave me out of your posts, why are you so worried about what I'm doing!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Hey everyone, I just sent out an OLDS2 mass update email. If you do not get it then I don't have your email or there is a problem with your email address. Just LMK and I will make the correction. I had around 20 or so emails come back as rejected.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
I'm sure everyone is getting the email I just got about Old School Series 2, and it looks like a potential December release!  Assuming it stays on schedule 2010 will include the following releases...........

- Olds School series 1
- Postcard Series 6
- ANS7
- Halloween Postcards
- Old School Series 2

That's amazing......5 major releases in the same year!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:59:21 AM by Dr Popper »
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
2010 HAS BEEN AN AMAZING YEAR!
Here is what I remember:
Postcards Series 5
OLDS 1
Wacky Packages Book Volume 2
Set of 3 different binders
Peepers Promo Postcard
Postcards Series 6
ANS7
Mister Fawlty OLDS 2 Promo
Halloween 2010 Postcards Series
OLDS 2

Did I leave anything out?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
I'm sure everyone is getting the email I just got about Old School Series 2, and it looks like a potential December release!  Assuming it stays on schedule 2010 will include the following releases...........

- Olds School series 1
- Postcard Series 6
- ANS7
- Halloween Postcards
- Old School Series 7

Old School 7 already??? damn, I've missed a few!!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
I'm sure everyone is getting the email I just got about Old School Series 2, and it looks like a potential December release!  Assuming it stays on schedule 2010 will include the following releases...........

- Olds School series 1
- Postcard Series 6
- ANS7
- Halloween Postcards
- Old School Series 7

No kidding, we're getting spoiled!  It has been a great year for Wacky's. 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:42 AM »
2010 HAS BEEN AN AMAZING YEAR!
Here is what I remember:
Postcards Series 5
OLDS 1
Wacky Packages Book Volume 2
Set of 3 different binders
Peepers Promo Postcard
Postcards Series 6
ANS7
Mister Fawlty OLDS 2 Promo
Halloween 2010 Postcards Series
OLDS 2

Did I leave anything out?

Also the 2010 calendar and the two OS posters (stickers and sketches).

Offline Kook

« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2010, 05:22:49 AM »
I'm sure everyone is getting the email I just got about Old School Series 2, and it looks like a potential December release!  Assuming it stays on schedule 2010 will include the following releases...........

- Olds School series 1
- Postcard Series 6
- ANS7
- Halloween Postcards
- Old School Series 7

Rob,
We should see if we can assemble release dates for all these series and include them with the master list. (Sellout dates for postcard ltd & olds also) Maybe topps can help out with on sale & sell out dates for postcard series 1, 2 & 3. I'm not sure if they were that actively followed before the 4th release.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:42:25 AM by billf »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2010, 05:26:14 AM »
Rob,
We should see if we can assemble release dates for all these series and include them with the master list. (Sellout dates for postcard ltd & olds also) Maybe topps can help out with on sale & sell out dates for series 1, 2 & 3. I'm not sure if they were that actively followed before the 4th release.

Old School Series 7... spring 2013!