Author Topic: Next weekend is the 2022 San Diego Comic-Con...  (Read 4232 times)

Offline dth1971

Next weekend is the 2022 San Diego Comic-Con...
« on: July 15, 2022, 07:32:40 PM »
...which will be the first in person San Diego Comic-Con since July 2019 (Despite a SDCC Special Edition that was held Thanksgiving weekend 2021 to make up for the virtural due to COVID SDCC in 2020 and 2021), but I wonder: Does Topps plan any giveaway chase cards for the 2022 SDCC, maybe a preview of Wacky Packages Old School Series 11?

Offline lucidjc

Re: Next weekend is the 2022 San Diego Comic-Con...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:07:09 PM »
Dude! There hasn't been a promo for anything n 10 years!

Jim

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 02:29:43 PM »
Dude! There hasn't been a promo for anything n 10 years!

Jim

I know in 2017 Topps did a SDCC Wacky giveaway card that spoofed an Archie comics comic book cover.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 02:37:24 PM »
there are a boatload of GPK promos, giveaways, and exclusives

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
there are a boatload of GPK promos, giveaways, and exclusives

A Curious thought is running through my mind right now that puzzles me, a few of you have commented on an event that is being held in the West Coast such as this Comic Con which I'm guessing a couple of collectors or a few of you may attend, but why didn't any of you send a comment to my thread on the N.S.C. Which will be going on from the 27th-31st in Atlantic City. I may not be a geography major, but I would think a lot more collectors on here are from the East Coast and would stand a better chance of getting their instead of CA. Just my 2 cents of course.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
The Comic Con has morphed into what is largely a pop culture event. It’s something the whole family could go to and find something to enjoy. You are unlikely to find many wackys for sale there, but you could take a look around in the context of attending for more general reasons.

The NSCC is a (largely high end) sports card show. Again you might find a couple of wackys there, or maybe not. But unless you are enthralled (as I am) by walking around the BBCE display ogling six figure unopened sports wax boxes, I don’t think someone primarily interested in wackys will find it a worthwhile experience unless they live five minutes away.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 07:57:49 AM »
A lot of wacky collectors from the 1970s probably also collect comics or some of the other items that are sold at these cons. I have gone to the Chicago Comic Con most every year for the last 20 years, except for the covid years. That includes C2E2 and Wizard Con. I have looked, and dont think ive ever seen wackys for sale. Those events started out primarily as comic shows and have morphed into sci-fi, fantasy, knick knacks, samurai swords, etc. taking up more floor space than comics. They DO draw a fair amount of creators and actors of comic, sci fi, fantasy programs. San Diego draws a huge amount of celebrities, cuz they all live in SoCal and its an easy trip to earn their appearance fee. The few celebs ive talked to over the years say the conventions are not fun for them. I’ve attended the last few Chicago Non Sports Card shows, free admission is great. However, if not for Joe Leonard being set up, it probably wouldn’t be worth my 2 1/2 hour drive each way with gas and tolls. The shows have mostly Bat Man, Star Trek, Charlies Angeis, etc. cards. E-Bay has increased listing fees and now taxes sellers, so that’s not a great way to get great deals. Tons of product available though without travelling. Just my observations as a wacky collector, your actual experiences may vary…
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:01:27 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 12:18:37 PM »
As one of the non-existent Westcoast Wacky people, I've attended Comic-Con quite a few times.  But even though I get a free ticket every year, I stopped going a decade ago (and certainly wouldn't want to go during Covid).  That place becomes a zoo since it's so popular for everything BUT comics now.  In the early 2000s, the comics & cards section was huge and packed.  But last time I went, the comic section was tiny and deserted, while the majority of booths were carbon copies of the next booth selling stuff for Anime, popular TV shows, superhero movies, steampunk & vampire attire, plushie toys of all genres (like the Swapmeet, but for nerds)... and if you wanted to see any of the in-person talks in the convention halls, you had to wait in impossibly long lines all day.  Getting food took hours too, as the crowd spilled out into the streets for miles at meal times.  It was like a zombie apocolypse, but where everyone spoke Klingon.  And I was the jerk loudly saying things like, "What?... George Lucas is HERE... in Hall <mumbled letter>?", or "Yah, it was so cool, I just got to meet the whole cast of 'Firefly'.  They're over at the <mumbled words>." and stuff like that while riding the escalator up and down.  Way more fun than going to the events.  But I almost never saw vintage Wackys there.  There was a booth that had 'em, and as I was asking the dealer to get them out of the case, one of the well-known collectors (unnamed) cut infront of me and grabbed them.  It was just a stack of commons, so he saved me money on nothing.  But that was the last time I saw that dude in person.  He didn't even recognize me either, which is funny. 

Anyway... unless a Wacky collector is totally into Disney's messed up version of Star Wars, Anime, Furries, Cosplay, or the latest superhero movie, it's not worth the crowds.  I'm sure the East Coast shows are more comic & card oriented than these out here.  Wondercon in Anaheim is a much easier show to navigate, smaller, less crowded, and same stuff for sale.  So, that might be a better one to try.  To be honest, it's the coin shows that seem to have the most Wacky surprises, since they don't really know much about them but put 'em out anyway if they have some.  Are you guys really still going to in-person shows during a pandemic, though?  I'm not looking forward to in-person conventions of any kind after this crazy couple years.  It took the fun out of it.

Offline drono

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 03:55:59 AM »
I thought I wanted to go at least once, just for the experience, but what you wrote probably made me realize that I really don't.

I attended the Baltimore Comic-Con with my son about 10 years ago and left with sore legs from standing elbow to elbow with a horde of people for about 4 hours.  There were simply too many people in too small of a place.  Like your experience, no vintage Wackys.  It was fun because I got to do it with my son, who now lives 1/2 the country away, but I don't think I could do it now with my 57-year-old legs.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 07:21:52 AM »
There are some regional or local comic shows that are not as crowded, but i agree, chicago and San Diego (and i hear NYC) attract over 10,000 people per day. Which is WAY too crowded, even in a goant exhibition center…Even before Covid…

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 08:29:09 PM »
There are some regional or local comic shows that are not as crowded, but i agree, chicago and San Diego (and i hear NYC) attract over 10,000 people per day. Which is WAY too crowded, even in a goant exhibition center…Even before Covid…

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on both S.C.C. And the N.S.C Which starts this Wed. All I'm going to say is whoever gets to go to either, All the best of luck and have fun.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Hey, slightly off-topic but related... did anyone ever end up doing a "Wacky Museum"?  I remember Eric and others talking about doing that at some point, displaying original art, uncut sheets, boxes, etc., as like a temporary gallery show or something.  Would have been a great thing to do in collaboration with Jay, actually, when he was still with us.  But just wondered if that ever happened (or will), or if Jeff's house 1999 will go down as the only version of that.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 07:56:17 PM »

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on both S.C.C. And the N.S.C Which starts this Wed. All I'm going to say is whoever gets to go to either, All the best of luck and have fun.

Only one collector/dealer that I know that is set up at the Nat. in Atlantic City is Dan McKee and he has informed me that it's a terrific show.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 04:50:44 AM »
Hey, slightly off-topic but related... did anyone ever end up doing a "Wacky Museum"?  I remember Eric and others talking about doing that at some point, displaying original art, uncut sheets, boxes, etc., as like a temporary gallery show or something.  Would have been a great thing to do in collaboration with Jay, actually, when he was still with us.  But just wondered if that ever happened (or will), or if Jeff's house 1999 will go down as the only version of that.

That would be a cool exhibit at an art museum, like MOMA. I bet there are pieces of artwork out there we never seen before. Maybe Norm Saunders son or daughter can put something together, if they own his original sketchbooks. I remember Norm's son was sharing lots of unknown trivia about his dad's work on Wacky Packages on Greg's forum years ago. I also think a virtual gallery online would be cool.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 05:43:55 PM »
That would be a cool exhibit at an art museum, like MOMA. I bet there are pieces of artwork out there we never seen before. Maybe Norm Saunders son or daughter can put something together, if they own his original sketchbooks. I remember Norm's son was sharing lots of unknown trivia about his dad's work on Wacky Packages on Greg's forum years ago. I also think a virtual gallery online would be cool.

Another comic book/toy show going on at the end of this month, one day only which will be the 27th. Have already been confirmed by one dealer that will be setting up, he has over 300 Wacky singles from all series. Show will be held in Edison, NJ.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 03:38:59 PM »
Not that i can make it, but whereabouts in Edison?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 03:07:58 PM »

Not sure.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »
  I remember Norm's son was sharing lots of unknown trivia about his dad's work on Wacky Packages on Greg's forum years ago. 

I would always print those out, and they are still included in my 1-16 keeper notebooks, each story placed with its respective series.   
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Paul_Maul

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »
Is Edison known for its landmarks?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »
Is Edison known for its landmarks?
More importantly, at what point does one tap into their inner resourcefulness and just look something up independently?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
I Hope someone on here gets to go.
I got to go...though I kinda wish I hadn't devoted the time/energy. I found a dealer with a bunch of Wacky singles, some reissues and OS 5-13. They were all overpriced swill, sorry to say. I purchased nothing. It appeared to be a good show if toys, games, action figures and the like are your thing. It is not mine, so I don't intend to attend again. Sorry about the negativity, just telling it like I see it.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 05:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the info…i would hate to think somebody might travel a long way for such a smattering of overpriced wackys…

Offline drono

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 03:34:30 AM »
I got to go...though I kinda wish I hadn't devoted the time/energy. I found a dealer with a bunch of Wacky singles, some reissues and OS 5-13. They were all overpriced swill, sorry to say. I purchased nothing. It appeared to be a good show if toys, games, action figures and the like are your thing. It is not mine, so I don't intend to attend again. Sorry about the negativity, just telling it like I see it.

I went to a similar "traveling" toy show in Wilmington, Delaware a few years back.  I enjoy looking at the old toys that I had as a kid or from a time before.  Most of these were newer, but I remembered some of them from working in the toy department of a department store while in college.  There were no wacky package stickers, but I did buy a small piece of Wacky Packages cloth for $5 that probably would have been $75+ on eBay. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 05:13:51 PM »
I "toyed" with going haha, but my overwhelming schedule got the better of me.  I have hess trucks, nothing super valuable none in boxes but a bunch that I want to unload so I thought a toy show might be the place to do so, I would only sell locally, shipping is too much of a pain in the ass.  I also have a metal tonka crane from early 1970s that is the exact one I had as a kid, found it at a garage sale for like $1 years ago that I want to sell.  Are those types of items at these show?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2022, 09:13:54 AM »
Are those types of items at these show?
I'd say yes, but don't know what your layout would be for a table [would it be worth it?]. I think I'd tend to lean toward using Facebook Marketplace for those kind of things [lower end, don't-wanna-ship items].

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »
I also have a metal tonka crane from early 1970s that is the exact one I had as a kid, found it at a garage sale for like $1 years ago that I want to sell.

I still have my crane from the 70's & gave it to my kid.  Is yours the yellow one with the black 2-section crane part?  I think I have about 8 original Tonka's from back then still... but banged-up, rusty, and caked with mud (as they should be).  The only major collections I gave up as a kid were my Hotwheels and my marbles.  I regret the Hotwheels as they were mostly redlines.  But we all lose our marbles at a certain point, so I'm OK with those being gone.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
I'd say yes, but don't know what your layout would be for a table [would it be worth it?]. I think I'd tend to lean toward using Facebook Marketplace for those kind of things [lower end, don't-wanna-ship items].
i wasn't thinking of getting a table, I was going to sell/trade with a dealer or find a fellow attendee who wanted to buy them. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2022, 06:46:00 PM »
I still have my crane from the 70's & gave it to my kid.  Is yours the yellow one with the black 2-section crane part?  I think I have about 8 original Tonka's from back then still... but banged-up, rusty, and caked with mud (as they should be).  The only major collections I gave up as a kid were my Hotwheels and my marbles.  I regret the Hotwheels as they were mostly redlines.  But we all lose our marbles at a certain point, so I'm OK with those being gone.
Mine is this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284884205074?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1xBmWsPfsQRyoy24lhQHsvQ23&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=284884205074&targetid=1585159292571&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9003732&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1585159292571&abcId=9300697&merchantid=527373281&gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5KhZ8ET7gE7C_CeVIxe-67Bzv9D4bN4OAK-DUIIq9CSSx4PltwFHRihoCEEUQAvD_BwE

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2022, 10:09:16 PM »
 That was a must on my Santa list when I was a kid!   I still have it...it says "michigan" on the front.,     is that the same?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2022, 03:12:56 PM »
Mine is this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284884205074?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1xBmWsPfsQRyoy24lhQHsvQ23&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=284884205074&targetid=1585159292571&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9003732&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1585159292571&abcId=9300697&merchantid=527373281&gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5KhZ8ET7gE7C_CeVIxe-67Bzv9D4bN4OAK-DUIIq9CSSx4PltwFHRihoCEEUQAvD_BwE

That's the one!!!  Mine looks just about that rough, but with mud caked on it.  We used to set out a full bag of plastic army men on those trucks & bean them with dirt-clods until the last one was standing (when we weren't throwing them at each other or the neighbor's pool).  Nothing like seed-pods and dirt-clods.  Who needs crappy plastic Walmart toys when you have nature?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2022, 10:28:00 AM »
That was a must on my Santa list when I was a kid!   I still have it...it says "michigan" on the front.,     is that the same?
Mine doesn't say Michigan on the front

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »
That's the one!!!  Mine looks just about that rough, but with mud caked on it.  We used to set out a full bag of plastic army men on those trucks & bean them with dirt-clods until the last one was standing (when we weren't throwing them at each other or the neighbor's pool).  Nothing like seed-pods and dirt-clods.  Who needs crappy plastic Walmart toys when you have nature?
Trying to figure out why wacky packs never got stuck on my truck but stuck on literally everything else I owned!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2022, 01:17:43 PM »
You guys were lucky! My family could only afford the Tonka dump truck…

anything