Author Topic: Wacky Package market  (Read 1237 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Wacky Package market
« on: December 15, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
Don't blast my ignorance here, but I was not keeping up on the hobby for most of the 90s, got the first few ANS series in the early 2000s, and then was out for another several years, re-entering recently. My question is how has the market fared since the 1990s? I am mostly referring to OS 1-16, but also the later ANS and other series. I sometimes see posts referring to people buying OS stickers say 10 years or more ago for a fraction of what they go for now. I understand anything goes up over time, but was there a period when prices took off? The counterargument is that I found a price guide list by Bandaches from around 2010, and those values still seem to be spot on. Have prices actually skyrocketed, or is it just a handful of us fanatics who are willing to pay every-increasing prices to re-live a piece of our childhood? I admit buying and looking at Wackys or comics from the 70s takes me back, and that is why I buy them. But does nostalgia (i.e. the market) ebb and flow over time? Interested in any respectful feedback on our hobby. Are there any Nicolas Cage type white whales in our hobby? For the uninitiated, several years back Cage bought up a bunch of key comics, sinking many thousands of dollars into a comic collection only to sell most of them off a few years later. I also admit that in these Wacky starved times, I'm just trying to keep people talking about Wackys.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:47:55 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Wacky Package market
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »
I don't feel that Wackys got more expensive.  I feel that the higher grades of cards got more expensive.  That is not talking about the fringe wackys and the high demand ones.  Those do command a higher price.  However your run of the mill average wacky has stayed around the 1-2 range. (in volume you can do under 1).  Though if you have series 16 or rare cards (shedd's or high demand cards) Those cards sell for more.  I have also found that Series 11-15 are also worth more than they were before.  Again Condition dictates price is what I have seen.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Re: Wacky Package market
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 09:47:29 AM »
Yeah, there is no Consumer Price Index for Wackys. The price of EVERYTHING is through the roof now. Maybe you are right, maybe as older adults we just got more demanding about what condition cards we want, and can afford. For some of us, it is hard to resist sticking them on things, but I guess that is what the re-prints are for.......LOL
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:50:53 AM by JailOJohn »

anything