Author Topic: ANS a Fair-Haired Stepchild?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
ANS a Fair-Haired Stepchild?
« on: August 03, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
Hi Everyone!
     I love the level of expertise and interest on this site, but it seems that more than the lion's share of commentary goes to the old cards. About the only discussion regarding the new cards is shipping delays or price issues. Does anyone ever LOOK at the cards? I was very active back in 2010-2014, and then came back after a long absence in 2020, and the difference to my eyes is huge! Back then you had a very broad range of final paintings, with some leaving you scratching your head wondering why, but the current crop has been high grade across the board! I just wonder why there isn't more talk about the humor of the current cards, or the quality of the paintings, and things like that. Any ideas?

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: ANS a Fair-Haired Stepchild?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
I think one contributing factor is that a lot of collectors are mostly interested in wackys for nostalgic reasons. These collectors really aren’t interested in new wackys even if they are high quality.

On this site, though that seems to be a minority.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
well said, Pete.  We need to keep supporting the monthly sets and the occasional project, such as these great Wonky Ads,
we can't keep taking it for granted that Topps will continue to invest in our beloved Wackys forever!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »
I heavily disagree. Majority of the times that I log in here, all I see is talk about the minis or the weekly stuff. I don’t know where all the original series talk is supposedly happening, but I must not be seeing it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
I am an avid collector, and have been supporting the new Wacky releases with what Topps needs to see, my wallet.  I DO look at the stickers, but just cannot post scans of each title for review like some people did for us for the Original Series.

Perhaps we could have separate review threads for each new series where we list favorites? 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:06:55 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
Thanks, Pat.  All I was trying to do is have everyone embrace the new titles to some extent,
so we can hopefully keep our Wackys going for a long time.  I have no knowledge of any sales
numbers, they could be good, might be down, not sure, and we all hold on to the wonderful
nostalgia of our Original Series, die-cuts, early ANS series, whatever they may be.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »
Roughwriter, I think it's supposed to be "Red-Haired Stepchild".

Offline drono

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »
Roughwriter, I think it's supposed to be "Red-Haired Stepchild".

Thanks, Cynthia.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 05:41:02 PM »
I always meant to start a thread each month of the 2021 ANS issues so members could post which is their favorite parody sticker and also the sticker with the best artwork, if it isn't the same as the first.

Maybe start one with the July release?

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 07:42:57 AM »
I always meant to start a thread each month of the 2021 ANS issues so members could post which is their favorite parody sticker and also the sticker with the best artwork, if it isn't the same as the first.

Maybe start one with the July release?

Yes, Please!!! That is exactly what I was hoping for! Looking at the cards less as a commodity, and more like the art that they are! Which gag made you laugh? Which character seemed memorable? All the things that made us like Wackys in the first place!

anything