Author Topic: An Ebay auction…how sketchy?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
An Ebay auction…how sketchy?
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
Just saw an ebay auction for “150 Wacky packages and checklists.” Stack shows Stiffords,  an original series sticker. No other photos or descriptions…bidding ends in an hour…is at $55…anybody ever take a chance on these type of blind auctions? Seller could be just uneducated or scammer…i should have sent  him a question….

Offline JailOJohn

Re: An Ebay auction…how sketchy?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
The guy claimed they were all original series, in his attic from when he was a kid. I bid $68non a lark, winner sniped me at the last 2seconds at $77.88….if anyone here won that auction, i would love to see what stickers were in the pile….

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:03:27 PM »
Unless the cards were very thoroughly described and convincingly portrayed as problem-free, I’d count your blessings that you got outbid.  There are several types of issues that turn up often enough which the casual seller may not think needs mentioning - writing on backs, peeled borders, mystery stains, etc.  The lack of images is also generally not a good sign.  Everyone has an iPhone or iPad.  What does it take, 10 seconds to throw some images into the listing?

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »
Yeah, if I hadn't have waited until the last hour, I might have asked him to upload some photos. I am trying to complete sets, so not super picky about condition, but must have borders and no writing on back....The weird thing is that according to Wiki, Wackies outsold baseball cards for a year or two in the mid 1970s, so there had to be millions produced. I know kids stuck most of them on stuff, but there have to be a lot of stickers out there waiting to change hands.....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
Yeah, if I hadn't have waited until the last hour, I might have asked him to upload some photos. I am trying to complete sets, so not super picky about condition, but must have borders and no writing on back....The weird thing is that according to Wiki, Wackies outsold baseball cards for a year or two in the mid 1970s, so there had to be millions produced. I know kids stuck most of them on stuff, but there have to be a lot of stickers out there waiting to change hands.....

There are several collectors/part time sellers who have probably 40-50 apiece of most original series stickers. They are certainly very easy to find if condition is not a concern. Greg Grant, Matt Stock, Ernie (bandaches on this forum). They have literally duffel bags full of this stuff.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »
There are several collectors/part time sellers who have probably 40-50 apiece of most original series stickers. They are certainly very easy to find if condition is not a concern. Greg Grant, Matt Stock, Ernie (bandaches on this forum). They have literally duffel bags full of this stuff.
I also have some stock of OS stickers, but not to the degree of those mentioned [though I could prob make some sets of most series]. I'm sure there are others here with lots of spares, as well. I also have a few puzzle pieces available...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »
I also have some stock of OS stickers, but not to the degree of those mentioned [though I could prob make some sets of most series]. I'm sure there are others here with lots of spares, as well. I also have a few puzzle pieces available...

I'm more in your range, some extra complete sets and puzzles, and singles, but not dozens of everything.  Also, a bunch of extra PSA graded stickers.

Offline DaffyBP

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »
Speaking of sticking the Wacky Packages stickers on stuff, my best friend stuck them to the door of his closet. Of course his family moved in 7th grade, so there went those stickers. I thought I was so smart because I stuck all mine to black construction paper pages and put them (eventually) in sheet protectors. Oh well. But at least I still have  all of my original Wackys, right?!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
Speaking of sticking the Wacky Packages stickers on stuff, my best friend stuck them to the door of his closet. Of course his family moved in 7th grade, so there went those stickers. I thought I was so smart because I stuck all mine to black construction paper pages and put them (eventually) in sheet protectors. Oh well. But at least I still have  all of my original Wackys, right?!

I know a lot of kids stuck Wackys on walls, doors, and furniture.  Had I done that, I would never been allowed another Wacky (probably even other trading cards) ever again.

Before I got older and discovered trading card pages, I stored my Wackys in a Kleenex box decorated with "dubs" from my Wackys.  Sports cards were in a shoebox.  Pics hopefully to follow.

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
Before I got older and discovered trading card pages, I stored my Wackys in a Kleenex box decorated with "dubs" from my Wackys.  Sports cards were in a shoebox.  Pics hopefully to follow.

I stored mine in cigar boxes that my dad would give me.  I used to love the smell of those boxes.  I've seen quite a few in antique stores, but that wonderful smell has worn off over the ages.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
Dave is right,  I'm still sorting through all this stuff on this desk a little by little, I'll get there.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
Dave is right,  I'm still sorting through all this stuff on this desk a little by little, I'll get there.

I see some cool stuff on that desk.

Bandaches has some bandaches!  :o

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
So what is a fair price to pay for random common Original Series stickers to fill holes in my sets? Assuming decent condition (no writing or torn borders, no stains)….$1 or $2 apiece???