Author Topic: Topps 1989 Vault Sale  (Read 247 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Slightly Wacky…since 1973
Topps 1989 Vault Sale
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
I Think that was the year. Did anyone on here participate or hear about anyone who did? I know it was before ebay and Heritage, so im guessing it was one of those live auctions, maybe with bidders on huge cell phones…like an early Mecum auction……I have seen some original art pieces from this event on e-bay over the years….

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Topps 1989 Vault Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
I Think that was the year. Did anyone on here participate or hear about anyone who did? I know it was before ebay and Heritage, so im guessing it was one of those live auctions, maybe with bidders on huge cell phones…like an early Mecum auction……I have seen some original art pieces from this event on e-bay over the years….

There were several hobby bigwigs at the auction, including Roxanne Toser and Robert Foster among others. Most buyers bought multiple lots. For example, Robert was able to get about 100 titles. Most went for less than 100 bucks and immediately afterwards, some could be acquired for 150-200 dollars on the secondary market. I was able to get Pupsi Cola this way for 150 (long since sold, by the way). There's a great auction book that was widely distributed and can still be found on ebay. It shows most of the individual lots for sale, although towards the end of the night, there were a significant number of pieces sold that never appeared in the book. Robert stuck around for the entire auction and said that some of those lots went for 25 bucks because most everyone was tapped out from purchasing baseball art.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »
It was referred to as guernsey auction.  Have you had any luck getting art pieces?  I am chasing the frankenstein art.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
I have never been able to buy, but have seen original art pieces occasionally on e-bay over the years. On the rare occasion one pops up, the price is too rich for me.....

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 05:49:59 AM »
I have never been able to buy, but have seen original art pieces occasionally on e-bay over the years. On the rare occasion one pops up, the price is too rich for me.....
So is your quest in this thread to see images of the art?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 07:25:42 AM »
Not necessarily, just wondered if any of you fellow collectors had attended or subsequently purchased any of the art. I am just happy to have fellow collectors to talk to about Wackies.

Offline lcummins

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
There were several hobby bigwigs at the auction, including Roxanne Toser and Robert Foster among others. Most buyers bought multiple lots. For example, Robert was able to get about 100 titles. Most went for less than 100 bucks and immediately afterwards, some could be acquired for 150-200 dollars on the secondary market. I was able to get Pupsi Cola this way for 150 (long since sold, by the way). There's a great auction book that was widely distributed and can still be found on ebay. It shows most of the individual lots for sale, although towards the end of the night, there were a significant number of pieces sold that never appeared in the book. Robert stuck around for the entire auction and said that some of those lots went for 25 bucks because most everyone was tapped out from purchasing baseball art.

I attended the auction but was poor at the time and didn't bid. As soon as the non-sports day was over, I went up to Bob Foster who was standing in line to pay for his lots and inquired about several pieces of art from several sets (which included Slaytex) I was interested in. We made a deal on the spot... he sold me about 7 or 8 pieces on a payment plan, and doubled his money on every piece, but to me it was worth it. I guess it really was worth it in the long run, as I sold Slaytex back in the art wars days of the late 90's. Wish I still had it though.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:44 AM »
Original art of Slaytex sounds sweet!!!Do you regret selling it?

anything