Author Topic: Expanded Wacky Library  (Read 2718 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Expanded Wacky Library
« on: June 14, 2021, 12:26:07 PM »
   I hope everyone has enjoyed the recent literary additions to the Wackys collection. I'd like to add more, so I'm open to suggestions. There are many classics out there that get disqualified because they don't have a singular iconic cover. For example, Huck Finn has had dozens of covers over the years, and there is no single version that is easily recognizable. You don't have to come up with the gag. I'm just wondering what other books folks would WANT to see parodied? - Pete

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Expanded Wacky Library
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
To be honest, I don't love the inclusion of books in the Wacky lineup.  But in small quantity, I'm fine with them.  I'd be more inclined to see comics, even though those were less represented in the original series than books (by, what, a 1-0 tally?).  Are you thinking only books, by chance, or would comics qualify?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Don’t know if this has been suggested before, but an all-magazine Old School Series, in the spirit of the original “Wacky Magazines” series that ended up splintering into several series in 1974-75, could be a lot of fun.  An all-comic book OLDS set could be awesome too.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
Don’t know if this has been suggested before, but an all-magazine Old School Series, in the spirit of the original “Wacky Magazines” series that ended up splintering into several series in 1974-75, could be a lot of fun.  An all-comic book OLDS set could be awesome too.
And if we do get an all-magazine OLDS series, can we please, please, please get Rotting Zone released at last so we can finish the 1970s Wacky Magazines once and for all?

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 05:35:00 AM »
   Although I am open to giving anything a shot, the problem with magazines and comics is that they rarely present such a unique image that they are instantly recognizable to a broad segment of people. National Geographic had the unique yellow border with the intricate trim, but most other periodicals have very little to really set them apart. Dave did a fantastic job with Omni recently, but it ain't easy! Do you all have some outstanding covers you think would be unique enough?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
To be honest, I don't love the inclusion of books in the Wacky lineup.  But in small quantity, I'm fine with them.  I'd be more inclined to see comics, even though those were less represented in the original series than books (by, what, a 1-0 tally?).  Are you thinking only books, by chance, or would comics qualify?
Uncle Creepy and Vampi would like to have a word with you about that 1-0 scorecard

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 11:03:57 AM »
Uncle Creepy and Vampi would like to have a word with you about that 1-0 scorecard

I always thought of those more as magazines than comics.  Maybe because that's not what I was reading back in the time frame of original series Wackys when I was reading Archies, and DCs, and Marvels.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 01:08:38 PM »
I always thought of those more as magazines than comics.  Maybe because that's not what I was reading back in the time frame of original series Wackys when I was reading Archies, and DCs, and Marvels.

They were certainly larger format than a standard comic, but the guts were the same. I read Savage Sword of Conan (magazine sized) and the Conan comics, and there was no difference in content.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
They were certainly larger format than a standard comic, but the guts were the same. I read Savage Sword of Conan (magazine sized) and the Conan comics, and there was no difference in content.

Savage Sword of Conan (as well as the Warren mags) we’re not code approved, so there was a difference in content, though you may not have been aware of it.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »
Savage Sword of Conan (as well as the Warren mags) we’re not code approved, so there was a difference in content, though you may not have been aware of it.
You're right about that. Many was the time I saw partial nudity (i.e., exposed breasts on a woman) in The Savage Sword of Conan, but nothing more.

In fact, there's a famous scene at the end of Howard the Duck magazine #1 on the last page of the story which not only shows Beverly Switzler's naked breasts, but implies that she and Howard made love.

That reminds me of one of Pinky's answers to the Brain's question "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" It was "I think so, Brain, but me and Pippi Longstocking, what would the children look like?" Then Pinky said, in his typical nonsensical way, "Well, whatever they looked like, they'd be loved!"
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:25:05 AM by mikecho »

anything