Author Topic: April's Themed Monthly Set  (Read 2144 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
April's Themed Monthly Set
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:40:30 AM »
What is the feedback on the Easter themed cards in April's Wacky Packages Monthly? I'm happy to see themed cards that aren't in a high priced, hard to find set, mixed in with GPK cards I don't want! They disappear tomorrow, so order some for posterity today!

Offline Lavirus

Re: April's Themed Monthly Set
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »
Not everyone celebrates Easter.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »
I wouldn't say the set is fully Easter themed. I have a soda and a cat food in there as well.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:30 AM »
I don't mind a couple themed stickers in a set, but not a fan of having the majority that way.  I would be more in favor of a separate themed set.  That way the weeklys could stay normal and the themed set could be for whichever holiday it was.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:47:22 AM »
I wouldn't say the set is fully Easter themed. I have a soda and a cat food in there as well.

That's the beauty of the April cards! Some are themed, for folks that want that, and some aren't. It is like a 2-for-1! (Your 2 paintings are excellent, by the way!)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
Not everyone celebrates Easter.

Not everyone has a car yet we have motor oil Wacky Packages.   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »
One doesn't have to celebrate a particular holiday to enjoy a holiday themed parody.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »
It's a religious holiday, my preference is to keep religion out of Wackys entirely.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 04:10:34 AM »
I was hoping there would have been one or two St. Patrick's Day titles. Regarding religion, Topps looks at the holidays from a retail standpoint. Many people don't celebrate these religious holidays but still buy the candy - Easter, Halloween or Christmas.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 05:59:10 AM »
I promise you that Paul Harris and I did a ton of roughs about St. Patty's, but none were picked up. It may be that there is a weak product tie in, as you suggested, but some of the stuff we came up with was fairly clever. Maybe next year? Or what about a Wacky Holidays Set, like they did with GPKs?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 11:22:24 AM »
Thanks, Pete, that is true, and there are a lot of other great writers contributing ideas, and the artists themselves
are coming up with their own fantastic titles!

I'm happy to get what I get in there, and as much as I love seeing more "themed"
ideas, based on holidays and seasons, etc., it's a tricky slop these days....

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 05:33:26 AM »
I love the Freudian Slip! "tricky slop"! As the Three Stooges would say, "I resemble that remark!" I agree that figuring out what Topps wants can be challenging sometimes, and a slippery SLOPE, but the drawings must be drawn! Back to the drawing board Batman! - Pete

anything