Author Topic: 2020 weekly sets  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Cptn crunch

2020 weekly sets
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has seen what the weekly sets complete base, ( puzzle back )  with both weekly wonky and guest artist would be worth or if anyone has seen something similar to a complete sold, base set only with wonky and GA card. Excluding Messy Mays wonkys lol.
I know how much money topps got from me last year 😬

Offline BattleCaps

Re: 2020 weekly sets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
The only thing close to that that I've seen was one seller who was recently trying to sell all the base sets from May-December for an obscene amount of money. Of course, the lot didn't sell.

I think for most novice collectors, buying a nearly complete set as you described all at once is way out of their price range and that's why these types of listings haven't occurred.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:32:42 PM by BattleCaps »

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 04:30:14 PM »
Correct my math if I'm wrong. There were 8 months x 4 + 2 months with 5 weeks = 34 sets.  Each set sold for $15 and came with one base set and two chase cards. Other than May, each chase was probably equal in value to any other.  So technically you could trade one for one for the chase you got for the one you didn't get in the set. So I would say 34 x 15 = $510 + $50-75 for each of the May Wonkys you didn't get by buying one set.  I used this philosophy of buying one each week and got one May Wonky.

I bought one set each week, did very little trading, and paid an average of $7 for whichever chase I didn't get. Leaving out May, there would be 30 x 2 x 7 = $420 for the chases. The base sets should be plentiful and low in demand, so you might get all 34 at $5-10 each for a total of $170-340.  Using this method, it gives a range of $590-760.

So I would think a good price would be in the range of $500-750 + the May Wonkys.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:24:38 AM by drono »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 08:11:13 PM »
>> $50-75 for each of the May Wonkys

I think you can probably find wp1&4 at those prices, but that wp2&3 are likely going to be at least double that range

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 11:22:54 PM »
>> $50-75 for each of the May Wonkys

I think you can probably find wp1&4 at those prices, but that wp2&3 are likely going to be at least double that range

Agreed, WP2 and 3 from May are more like $150.

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 06:17:52 AM »
Agreed, WP2 and 3 from May are more like $150.

Wow!  I didn't realize that. 

I was looking at base sets on eBay, and all the ones I saw were listed at about $15 each once you pay taxes and shipping.  I would think those would be much cheaper given that every set had one, and no one who bought a set needed one. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
Just an oddity I ran across... I recently went through my 2020 weekly cards and created some base sets with Wonky and Guest artists cards, etc. With some of the extra base cards, I made a pile and use to stick on the back of envelopes when I do trades. I recently used a few and ran into some that, when I peeled the front and the back apart, I found that the puzzle piece has the sticky back, not the Wacky. Since other than this, I don't normally peel and stick Wackies, I would not have known. Now, it makes me wonder how many are backwards like this.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:53:28 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:54:34 PM »
Just an oddity I ran across... I recently went through my 2020 weekly cards and created some base sets with Wonky and Guest artists cards, etc. With some of the extra base cards, I made a pile and use to stick on the back of envelopes when I do trades. I recently used a few and ran into some that, when I peeled the front and the back apart, I found that the puzzle piece has the sticky back, not the Wacky. Since other than this, I don't normally peel and stick Wackies, I would not have known. Now, it makes me wonder how many are backwards like this.

I peeled some from early 2020 weekly sets and didn't have that problem.  I had been using them on envelopes, but without the kiss cut they just didn't look right, so I stopped.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 06:06:17 AM »
I'm wondering - when combining the weekly sets into monthly sets, should the third July checklist released with August Week 2 go with the July set, or the August set?  It makes more sense to me to put it with the July set, but I could see someone thinking the August set is incomplete without it   :-\

Once again, I am so glad they switched to monthly sets for this year!!  :great:

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
I am new to the weekly/monthly sets, but my understanding is they announce how many sets were sold AFTER the sales window closes? Where are they posting that info? Are they doing that to keto printing costs down? Would it kill them to print some extra?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »
I am new to the weekly/monthly sets, but my understanding is they announce how many sets were sold AFTER the sales window closes? Where are they posting that info? Are they doing that to keto printing costs down? Would it kill them to print some extra?

You can find some of this info here: https://www.topps.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=wacky   But, the Master list on this forum is a lot more complete.

This is Topps' preferred sales model nowadays, and if we want new Wackys, this is how we can get them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:17:29 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »
I'm wondering - when combining the weekly sets into monthly sets, should the third July checklist released with August Week 2 go with the July set, or the August set?  It makes more sense to me to put it with the July set, but I could see someone thinking the August set is incomplete without it   :-\

Once again, I am so glad they switched to monthly sets for this year!!  :great:

When I sold complete monthly sets on eBay, I put all the third July checklist (issued in August) with the July weekly sets.

In my way of thinking, the release date of the checklist shouldn't matter except for archival/historical purposes.  It is pointless to have the stickers without an appropriate checklist if there is one.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
Any Wackys are better than no Wackys, but is anyone else a bit disappointed that the new eeekly and monthly sets are not die cut? Some of the gags are really cool….

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
Any Wackys are better than no Wackys, but is anyone else a bit disappointed that the new eeekly and monthly sets are not die cut? Some of the gags are really cool….

I think we all miss the kiss-cuts, but it has been explained to us that it is too expensive  :sad:

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »
That's what I thought. Why can't millions of kids just ride their bikes to the stores and buy stickers in the stores like we did in the 1970s???