Author Topic: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages  (Read 118689 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages
« Reply #385 on: June 09, 2021, 08:13:09 AM »
June sets are up

With the return of the guest artist sketch cards at the end of the 3 month period
Should be Fred Wheaton, Sam Gambino, and Simone Arena

https://www.topps.com/2021-topps-wacky-packages-monthly-series-june.html

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:45:30 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: June 09, 2021, 10:08:06 AM »
This snuck up on me, think I lost a week somewhere.  Thanks for the reminder!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #387 on: June 09, 2021, 12:02:51 PM »
June sets are up

With the return of the guest artist sketch cards at the end of the 3 month period

(Image removed from quote.)

Among the June 2021 list: "Sidewalk Bends" is another book spoof ("Where the Sidewalk Ends"), and I think "Lizzard" is a Dairy Queen Blizzard spoof.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #388 on: June 09, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
Among the June 2021 list: "Sidewalk Bends" is another book spoof ("Where the Sidewalk Ends"), and I think "Lizzard" is a Dairy Queen Blizzard spoof.

Yes, you are correct. Both are my designs, and you guessed right on the source materials. I hear that there's at least one more book in the works, too! - Pete

Offline dth1971

« Reply #389 on: June 09, 2021, 04:20:18 PM »
Yes, you are correct. Both are my designs, and you guessed right on the source materials. I hear that there's at least one more book in the works, too! - Pete

Pete - Why not a Wacky Packages take on a Marc Brown Arthur book or a Geronimo Stilton book or maybe the IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Tangle and Whisper graphic novel for future Wacky Packages monthly series?

And regarding the June 2021 "Rookie Crisp" entry: Is it based on the unreleased John Pound Wacky Packages never made 1992 series rough?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
Am I correct in noting that free shipping is back?  I have only ordered one set, the January one, from Topps and purchased base sets for all the other months on ebay.  But it seemed that, at least for last month, there was no free shipping.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »
Here's one of the new Wacky pieces I painted for June, "Cap'n Corpse" featuring some of our favorite wacky worms!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:38:20 PM by koduck »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »
Here's one of the new Wacky pieces I painted for June, "Cap'n Corpse" featuring some of our favorite wacky worms!

If anyone is interested in the painting, feel free to send me a pm for details.

I always love those little throwbacks to the original series, Neil!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #393 on: June 10, 2021, 05:44:33 AM »
The May sets should hopefully be shipping soon.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: June 10, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »

I think those not shipping yet is why I was surprised that it was time to order June sets  :-\ 

Offline quas

« Reply #395 on: June 10, 2021, 07:57:35 AM »

Woudln't it be nice if we could receive May sets in, say, May?   :38:
Marc

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #396 on: June 10, 2021, 09:32:08 AM »
June sets are up

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks, I forgot about this.  Clicked on the link and was greeted by a screen at Topps saying "You have been blocked"   ;D  What is wrong with them????
Now I am going through captcha hell just to order....I'm getting burned out with how Topps treats me on their website when I am purchasing things from them.

So as of now, it just keeps looping through the "you are blocked" and then captchas.  SMDH....I am using the latest firefox...there is nothing unusual about my browser.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #397 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
Finally got to order...dang.

8 captchas looping on the "you are blocked screen" so I cleared cache, cookies, everything from the browser and restarted.

Then after 2 more captchas it finally let me order....thanks so much.  Then I had to do another captcha to login at checkout.  No offense to all the great artists and writers working to bring us the monthly sets, the Topps webmaster needs to be taken out back....

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #398 on: June 10, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Pete - Why not a Wacky Packages take on a Marc Brown Arthur book or a Geronimo Stilton book or maybe the IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Tangle and Whisper graphic novel for future Wacky Packages monthly series?

And regarding the June 2021 "Rookie Crisp" entry: Is it based on the unreleased John Pound Wacky Packages never made 1992 series rough?

I've been told that Topps wants only the most iconic books for parody. Even some Seuss books I spoofed weren't deemed well known enough! Send me some images of the books you're suggesting, and I'll see what I can do, but its probably a long shot.

The Rookie Crisp gag was independent of anyone else's work, but duplicate ideas are very common. I recently submitted a Trix/Trips gag at the same time Neil was painting his for the May set, and I had also sent in a Jolly Rancher/Roger spoof that was completely different from Neil's. The Loafing Cow I did for June has apparently been done before, and the Energeezer in this June's set duplicates a card of mine back in the ANS days! It can be nearly impossible to keep all the prior designs straight, since no one has ever done a master list. But if any of our dedicated fan base ever felt so inclined.....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: June 10, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
Speaking of May sets shipping, I just got my Fedex norice.

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: June 10, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
It can be nearly impossible to keep all the prior designs straight, since no one has ever done a master list. But if any of our dedicated fan base ever felt so inclined.....
LOL
I haven’t laughed so hard in quite some time

Offline dth1971

« Reply #401 on: June 10, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
I wonder what Freakies will spoof for the June 2021 Wacky Packages set?

Offline quas

« Reply #402 on: June 11, 2021, 06:09:36 AM »
I've been buying the 9-pocket card protectors from Amazon for years now.  I'm pretty sure they're the same as I bought from Target before because I initially searched for the same brand.  About $10 for 70 pages.  Here's the link if interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Starter-9-Pocket-Pages-Count/dp/B07BHJP4P3/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2TBMRAJD0H0NH&dchild=1&keywords=card+guard+9+pocket&qid=1620967923&sprefix=cardguard+9%2Caps%2C311&sr=8-15

Have others tried these?  How do they compare to the standard 9-pocket pages from Ultra Pro?  I looked on the web and did not see any reviews or comments addressing a comparison between the two.  (I realize this should probably be a separate discussion.)
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: June 11, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
Speaking of May sets shipping, I just got my Fedex norice.
Got my notice this morning
Of course, being Friday, the supposed ‘overnight’ shipping won’t arrive until Monday. Ridiculous that weekend delivery is not part of this service.
I’ve noticed that Wackys get their shipping notice filed on Fridays far too often to be coincidence. Clearly relegated to the back of the line by Topps.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: June 11, 2021, 08:09:17 AM »
Got my notice this morning
Of course, being Friday, the supposed ‘overnight’ shipping won’t arrive until Monday. Ridiculous that weekend delivery is not part of this service.
I’ve noticed that Wackys get their shipping notice filed on Fridays far too often to be coincidence. Clearly relegated to the back of the line by Topps.

I have noticed that as well, and I agree wholeheartedly that weekend delivery should be included.  After a couple of Fridays like that I switched back to regular delivery, but then they sat in Florida for days and/or bounced around NJ/PA for a few days, so now I pay the ransom and go for the overnight.  This month I seem to have lucked out; barring incidents, my May Wackys should be here tonight.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2021, 02:08:43 AM »
My May Wacky shipment arrived at around 7 last night.

They have the same yellow boxes, but the plastic cases have the flat snap lids this time.

The playing cards were all in pairs, 3 of Clubs and 5 of Diamonds, and 7 of Spades and Ace of Hearts.

The coupons are again in five groups:
1, 6, 11, 16
2, 7, 12, 17
3, 8, 13, 18
4, 9, 14, 19
5, 10, 15, 20

Thumbs up to Topps for the pairs and groups, as they make trading easier!

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #406 on: June 16, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
Whoever asked if Pesky from last month spoofed Pepsi, they were right. Also could someone show us Rookie Crisp and Sidewalk Bends please?

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: June 16, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
Whoever asked if Pesky from last month spoofed Pepsi, they were right. Also could someone show us Rookie Crisp and Sidewalk Bends please?
Images are in the Master List for those two now.

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: June 16, 2021, 01:06:44 PM »
May sales show 565.

Holding steady in the 500’s

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
Here's my four:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »
Dave....as always, love the tight illustrations and those extra little details you add!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #411 on: June 21, 2021, 06:24:16 AM »
Here's a  few new wonkys from the new June set.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #412 on: June 22, 2021, 05:23:57 AM »
Here's a  few new wonkys from the new June set.

I have zero wonkys from the monthly sets.  Wish they would just do a full set of all the wonkys.

Well done, Neil!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #413 on: June 22, 2021, 07:29:48 AM »
I have zero wonkys from the monthly sets.  Wish they would just do a full set of all the wonkys.

Well done, Neil!

I have some Wonkys I'd be willing to trade, if you're interested...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #414 on: June 23, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »
Here's another one from the June release: Croakola (aka Normal Croakwell)!

Neil

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:50:58 PM by koduck »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #415 on: June 23, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »

Well done, Neil!

Yes, I love the design of the Wonkys, but due to their limited nature, I am unable to get them.  It's kind of a shame since they are so nice and well done.  I think the artists would like to get their artwork to the largest audience possible so these seem to be somewhat a disservice to the talents producing them.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »
Like I said we are self correcting. After this month we are clear on what people won't want (we only have control on the sticker side of things). Just seems weird to me to drop collecting these entirely over a few of the many for the first month (BTW, these were not mine, I'm not sure if that is what you are thinking). We had gags like these in ANS which is what we were modeling it after and figured we should stay modern with the products.  There is one more like this one coming up and after that I don't think you'll see products like these again. The art will be solid. This isn't Jungwha art anymore. No political gags either.

A little over a year ago after complaints about potty humor and gags around bodily functions, you said this wasn't going to be included in the wackys going forward.

Now for two months in a row we have these:

May 2021 - Last sticker "Runs" has a figure sitting on a toilet with apparent diarrhea. Yuck.

April 2021- Last sticker "Snot Jet" has bodily function of a snotty nose dripping.  Yuck.

Were you sincere when you posted in May of 2020 about keeping these out of the stickers or were you just waiting to start sneaking these subjects in again as the last stickers in the set?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 06:33:45 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2021, 03:32:55 AM »
Potty and booger humor works if kids were buying these monthly Wackies. But at $60 a set, I don't think they can afford to.

Note: June has another snot joke - Plucky Charms.

For the most part, the monthly titles have been tight illustrations and funny gags.

I'm thinking the artists-writers have a lot of projects they are committed to besides Wacky Packages (like GPK), so Topps needs to hire other talent to finish the set of 20. I just wish these artists had "vision" of what Wacky Packages are all about. Tik Tak Tok comes to mind as a title that doesn't follow the rules.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »
A little over a year ago after complaints about potty humor and gags around bodily functions, you said this wasn't going to be included in the wackys going forward.

Now for two months in a row we have these:

May 2021 - Last sticker "Runs" has a figure sitting on a toilet with apparent diarrhea. Yuck.

April 2021- Last sticker "Snot Jet" has bodily function of a snotty nose dripping.  Yuck.

Were you sincere when you posted in May of 2020 about keeping these out of the stickers or were you just waiting to start sneaking these subjects in again as the last stickers in the set?

TRU-DAT KEEP THAT OUT OF IT- LETS GET BACK TO REAL WACKY HUMOR IE 'FED UP' AWESOME!! THX FOR POSTING SLAYTEX!! :great:

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2021, 07:19:55 AM »
The recent posts raise valid points, but the solutions aren't easy. I absolutely agree that the reality is Wackys are no longer being sold to kids, and only are seen by adults, BUT "the powers that be" won't accept that reality and still WANT Wackys drawn as if geared towards that 6 to 12 year old demographic. Anyone who has kids (or remembers being one) knows that kids think bodily functions are hilarious. As we grow up (perish the thought!), we realize there is more to comedy than that One-Trick-Pony, but it is still a reliable workhorse. You may be seeing more of them because so many other options have been restricted. We can no longer do gags mocking excessive weight (which was another easy kill for years), nor can we do anything related to bullying (something central to growing up as a child). Many of the "high brow" gags also get turned down specifically because they are aimed "over the heads" of the target audience. There are also the threats of suit from specific manufacturers that take particular products out of play. With all of those restrictions, potty humor is a safe harbor in an otherwise treacherous environment. If Topps ever decides to accept the fact that Wackys aren't drawn for kids anymore, then you can expect a change of focus, but until then, we have to work with the few crayons left in the box!