Author Topic: Time travelling Wackys  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Lavirus

Time travelling Wackys
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:12:02 AM »
Just noticed the date on "61" from the 11th series is Dec 2020! Can anyone identify which references are to what person? I'm guessing David is David Cassidy, RIP.

What other Wackys had future dates on them?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Time travelling Wackys
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »
Just noticed the date on "61" from the 11th series is Dec 2020! Can anyone identify which references are to what person? I'm guessing David is David Cassidy, RIP.

Bobby could be Bobby Sherman,  Donny could be Donny Osmond,  Nothing immediately comes to mind for Ron, Ron-Don, John, Lon and Melvin.
I suppose some of them or all could just be names pulled out of the air. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:24:53 AM »
Cool post idea! Any other Wackies that showed the future?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:38:51 AM »

I believe The Magazine of Fanatical and Sickly Fiction says May 2074 on the spine.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19:23 PM »
Bobby could be Bobby Sherman,  Donny could be Donny Osmond,  Nothing immediately comes to mind for Ron, Ron-Don, John, Lon and Melvin.

Yah, that's gotta be David Cassidy and Donny Osmond for sure.  And either Bobby Sherman or Bobby Darin (although he died December 20, 1973... which is interesting).  Lon's gotta be Lon Chaney Jr. (I would think).  There's a "Ron Pearson And The Ron Dons" that was around in the late 60's, but it sounds like they were very obscure.  Maybe Art or Jay or Norm were fans?  And John Lennon would seem the most likely John for the times.  Melvin, though?    ...so far Donny's the only one that survived to Dec. 2020.

Man, we lost a TON of cool pop-culture characters in 2020... James West AND James Bond, Emma Peel AND Catherine Gale, Darth Vader AND BobaFett, Bilbo Baggins, Eddie Haskell, Mary-Anne, The Gambler, plus Alex Trebek AND Tom Kennedy, and a zillion other actors/actresses/musicians we all grew up with.  I was shocked to see the full list today.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 04:13:01 AM »
Yah, that's gotta be David Cassidy and Donny Osmond for sure.  And either Bobby Sherman or Bobby Darin (although he died December 20, 1973... which is interesting).  Lon's gotta be Lon Chaney Jr. (I would think).  There's a "Ron Pearson And The Ron Dons" that was around in the late 60's, but it sounds like they were very obscure.  Maybe Art or Jay or Norm were fans?  And John Lennon would seem the most likely John for the times.  Melvin, though?    ...so far Donny's the only one that survived to Dec. 2020.

Man, we lost a TON of cool pop-culture characters in 2020... James West AND James Bond, Emma Peel AND Catherine Gale, Darth Vader AND BobaFett, Bilbo Baggins, Eddie Haskell, Mary-Anne, The Gambler, plus Alex Trebek AND Tom Kennedy, and a zillion other actors/actresses/musicians we all grew up with.  I was shocked to see the full list today.

Not to mention those who passed away in 2020 of COVID before the slow COVID vaccine rollouts.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 08:02:01 AM »
...so far Donny's the only one that survived to Dec. 2020.
I believe Bobby Sherman still lives.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
I believe Bobby Sherman still lives.
I just looked it up and he does.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »

It's amazing how different the rough artwork is! This is an image from an old Topps Vault auction.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
It's amazing how different the rough artwork is! This is an image from an old Topps Vault auction.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, it doesn't make the joke nearly as good mentioning Gleason & Berle, who were already old when Wackys came out.  What's weird, though, is how many actors from the Golden Age (Rooney, Temple, Douglas, etc.) outlasted so many 60s/70s teen stars.

Seeing "Melvin" listed next to "Irving" just triggered a memory from a conversation with Jay.  I remember him saying once that there were certain names that the writers just thought were inherantly funny, so they'd use them in gags even if they didn't represent an actual person... and "Irving" was one of them.  He mentioned it when talking about "Irving Soap" and what the heck that meant, if I remember right.  So, it might be that Melvin was just an inside gag about generally funny names.  Like Bertha.