Author Topic: Low Grade Original Series Sets-Price Range? Any For Sale?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Low Grade Original Series Sets-Price Range? Any For Sale?
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
I'm looking for Complete sets of Original series Wackys, starting with the 15th and 16th series. I am okay with tack holes and limited writing, as long as the image isn't damaged. I'm NOT looking for "Collector Grade" cards. I will take "mutts" and "cast offs", as long as they aren't truly trashed. What should each set cost, approximately? And does anyone have such a set they want to unload on an unsuspecting sucker like me? Please let me know. Thanks! - Pete

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Low Grade Original Series Sets-Price Range? Any For Sale?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
Just saying, you aren’t going to have luck with the 16th series. Most of the population of 16ths are high grade and you likely know they pull a premium.

Online drono

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
I'm looking for Complete sets of Original series Wackys, starting with the 15th and 16th series.

Any particular reason that you're starting with 15 and 16?  You'll find much more affordable sets in the 5th-12th series.  There are a handful on eBay at the moment; some are auctions, and some are buy it now.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
Yes, I know this is an uphill battle. That is why I'm willing to go for the low grade cards. I'm looking for 15th and 16th because those are the ones I remember most as a 10 year old kid. Again, these aren't for investment or eventual resale, but just for personal satisfaction. I know I'll have to live with "scratch and dent" if I don't want to break the bank finding them. I'm all ears if anyone has something they can part with. Thanks, - Pete

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »
Pete - have you checked with Ernie (Bandaches here on the forum) or Greg Grant?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  Major collectors with large inventories might be your best bet at finding some low grade cards you could get at a discount.

For the earlier series, finding cards with issues on the cheap should be comparatively easy.  This reminds me of certain realities of coin collecting, where desirable dates or date runs in certain series are far more common in higher grades than lower, like late date silver before the switch to clad in 1965.  Most of what was preserved was pulled shortly after production, thereby not giving those coins much time to circulate and undergo wear and tear.  I think the same will prove true for the 16th at least.  I would venture to guess that most of the collective 16th inventory in existence consists of near mint, albeit aged and slightly yellowed,cards from packs that weren’t even opened until 20+ years later.  So few of us ever saw the 16th in the wild, and we know it was only test-marketed in limited areas.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
I'm looking for Complete sets of Original series Wackys, starting with the 15th and 16th series. I am okay with tack holes and limited writing, as long as the image isn't damaged. I'm NOT looking for "Collector Grade" cards. I will take "mutts" and "cast offs", as long as they aren't truly trashed. What should each set cost, approximately? And does anyone have such a set they want to unload on an unsuspecting sucker like me? Please let me know. Thanks! - Pete

I have such a 15th set that I can set you up with for $50.

PM me if interested - Melski

anything