Author Topic: Why Weren't These Products Ever Spoofed in the Original Series?  (Read 12123 times)

Offline ToadallyDude

Re: Why Weren't These Products Ever Spoofed in the Original Series?
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
MORE FOR THE LIST (some which were finally parodied later, but would have been more fun in 1973):

- Pop-Rocks
- Zots
- Pixie Stix
- Push-Ups  (the ice-cream, not the bra)
- Digger the Dog
- Lincoln Logs
- Legos
- Ding-Dongs
- Mad Libs
- Yahtzee
- Sinclair
- Stuckeys
- Coleman (tents, camping stuff)
- Stanley (tools)
- Hanes
- Levi's
- Hush Puppies
- Stride-Rite
- Little Golden Books
- Ka-Boom cereal
- Quisp
- Mr. Sketch markers
- Tyco trains
- Tonka
- Barbie
- Brylcream
- Stretch Armstrong
- Trouble
... I'll stop there.  The list is endless.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 01:16:05 AM »
Libbyland TV Dinners!  There were 4 varieties:

Pirate Picnic
Safari Supper (mentioned September 16th by Alexirex)
Sea Diver's Dinner
Sundown Supper

I would have gone crazy with glee if I had pulled a Wacky of any one of these!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 03:07:38 AM »
I remember those TV dinners! Don't remember if they tasted very good, but they always had cool graphics!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:12:16 AM by koduck »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 03:09:35 AM »
MORE FOR THE LIST (some which were finally parodied later, but would have been more fun in 1973):

- Pop-Rocks
- Zots
- Pixie Stix
- Digger the Dog
- Lincoln Logs
- Legos
- Ding-Dongs
- Mad Libs
- Yahtzee
- Sinclair
- Stuckeys
- Stanley (tools)
- Hanes
- Levi's
- Hush Puppies
- Stride-Rite
- Little Golden Books
- Ka-Boom cereal
- Quisp
- Mr. Sketch markers
- Tyco trains
- Tonka
- Barbie
- Brylcream
- Stretch Armstrong
- Trouble

How ironic! I just watched the commercial for Digger the Dog on youtube the other day! Great jingle!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 03:50:46 AM »
I remember those TV dinners! Don't remember if they tasted very good, but they always had cool graphics!

I loved the graphics on the Pirate Picnic, especially the pirate blowing into the tiny sail.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:53:56 AM by RawGoo »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
I loved the graphics on the Pirate Picnic, especially the pirate blowing into the tiny sail.

Thanks for posting those images! We used to anticipate getting those on nights my parents went out. I don't remember them living up to the high expectations we had, though.

Also, how can a Pirate Picnic not have any seafood? I guess they can pirate whatever they want.

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
Looneyland Pirate Panic. LOL.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »
I mentioned those tv dinners in my posting on the first page! yes, remember them well, they had kiddie items like hot dogs and hamburgers, and that PURPLE MILK PACKET! The milk packet was horrible but my siblings liked it!
Did the OS ever satirize the hair product No More Tangles? I was thinking about that the other day and trying to recall if it was related to the baby shampoo that advertised no more tears....
Alex

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
I mentioned those tv dinners in my posting on the first page! yes, remember them well, they had kiddie items like hot dogs and hamburgers, and that PURPLE MILK PACKET! The milk packet was horrible but my siblings liked it!
Did the OS ever satirize the hair product No More Tangles? I was thinking about that the other day and trying to recall if it was related to the baby shampoo that advertised no more tears....
Alex

You're right Alex! I missed your original post about the TV Dinners. I'm amazed how many of these products were never spoofed!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »
Alex

Yep, in my post this morning I noted your September post that included one of the varieties.  But, without "Libbyland" in front of the name, I didn't recognize it in your list back then.  Libby the Kid lives on in our memories!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Yep, in my post this morning I noted your September post that included one of the varieties.  But, without "Libbyland" in front of the name, I didn't recognize it in your list back then.  Libby the Kid lives on in our memories!

I totally forgot how great the graphics were on the seafood tv dinner. My family probably still had one of the original unopened purple milk packets in my dad's larder - we never threw anything away and my dad has lived in his apartment since 1969 - but we cleared out so much stuff right before they remodeled his place 2 years ago. Those packets were kicking around for decades at his house....

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 11:56:15 AM »

does anyone know who the artists were on these tv dinners? 

Offline mikecho

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
OLDS 2 did one of them - Libbyland Sundown Supper - as Lousyland Rundown Supper.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the pic - I now remember loving this in Old School 2!  I think the different varieties could be just as funny.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »

Whoa!!!!! I didn't start collecting the OS until OS3 so didn't know this existed!
A

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
Out of those, I was always waiting for Quisp.

- Pop-Rocks
- Zots
- Pixie Stix
- Digger the Dog
- Lincoln Logs
- Legos
- Ding-Dongs
- Mad Libs
- Yahtzee
- Sinclair
- Stuckeys
- Stanley (tools)
- Hanes
- Levi's
- Hush Puppies
- Stride-Rite
- Little Golden Books
- Ka-Boom cereal
- Quisp
- Mr. Sketch markers
- Tyco trains
- Tonka
- Barbie
- Brylcream
- Stretch Armstrong
- Trouble

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 04:34:40 PM »
Out of those, I was always waiting for Quisp.

My sister’s and my favorite cereal when we where kids. I remember getting so mad at my mom after we put it on the grocery list and she bought King Vitamin instead.  >(
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
How ironic! I just watched the commercial for Digger the Dog on youtube the other day! Great jingle!
Neil, do you remember Sherlock, the other dog toy that came before Digger?

Sherlock was a bigger dog, a riding toy on four wheels that a kid sat on top of and bounced up and down to make him move. He had the same color and yellow deerstalker cap that Digger would have later. He was similar to an earlier riding toy called Inchworm from Hasbro Preschool and his commercial is on YouTube also. All three toys were made by Romper Room.

And now that I've thought of it, do you remember Fisher-Price's dog pull toys, Snoopy and Little Snoopy (no relation at all to Peanuts' Snoopy, btw, in case you're wondering).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:11:28 AM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »
Wow, I didn't know about Sherlock. But Digger was a favorite when I was a kid. My sister had one and we would sing the jingle all the time.

I sort of remember the Fisher Price toy, but not 100%. Maybe if I saw a picture, I could tell for sure.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2021, 07:05:11 PM »
Wow, I didn't know about Sherlock. But Digger was a favorite when I was a kid. My sister had one and we would sing the jingle all the time.

I sort of remember the Fisher Price toy, but not 100%. Maybe if I saw a picture, I could tell for sure.
Neil, here's the link for Sherlock's commercial:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdXU-7OJZo

And the one for Inchworm:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOoeGOL1t1E

And here's links for images of the other two:

*Snoopy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungit_kVeFY

*Little Snoopy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWphrokWNI

The two Fisher-Price toys came out in the 1960s, Snoopy in 1961 and Little Snoopy in 1966.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:44:35 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2021, 10:23:44 PM »
"Digger the Dog, diggin' he goes with you when you explore... just pull his leash, go for a walk, he's your dog for sure..."
(Sadly never owned one, but remember the song for some reason)

Would be cool to see a bunch of current bands do covers of the classic commercial songs:  Light Brite by Linkin Park...  "Shut up when I'm making colorful light paintings of you!!!"

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
I liked Quisp, my brother liked Quake. How could you go with a miner over a martian??

My sister’s and my favorite cereal when we where kids. I remember getting so mad at my mom after we put it on the grocery list and she bought King Vitamin instead.  >(

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 06:06:33 AM »
same here, I was a "Quisp" guy, my brother loved "Quake" but I
preferred "Quangaroos" the most, I think they were Orange-y,
but they didn't last too long.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 08:32:15 AM »
same here, I was a "Quisp" guy, my brother loved "Quake" but I
preferred "Quangaroos" the most, I think they were Orange-y,
but they didn't last too long.
Yes, they were orange-flavored, the only cereal like that I ever saw and liked.

Does anyone remember the race Quisp and Simon the Quangaroo had to see which of their respective cereals was really better? It was Quake's idea in the first place. Quisp rode a unicycle and Simon rode a soapbox scooter. They were racing cross-country from Long Island, NY to Lompoc, CA (yes, that is a real place; the Jay Ward cartoons always used the names of real places in them). There was only one problem: because they started the race all by themselves so quickly, they forgot their maps and, as a result, ended up wandering aimlessly across the U.S. with both of them having no idea whatsoever how to get to Lompoc and thus win the race.

As far as I know, Quisp was the one who won the race, but I'm still not sure, as I only saw the first three commercials of the storyline when I was a kid and I still don't know how it actually ended. I do know that, soon afterwards, Quangaroos went off the market.

An earlier Quangaroos commercial introduced Orangeania (I think that's how it was spelled) where, according to Quake, if you looked deep into a bowl of Quangaroos, you'd see it. It was a land where everything in it was colored orange and everyone talked in rhyme.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:21:29 PM by mikecho »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2021, 04:33:22 AM »

Jay sold his roughs for this title on Facebook back in 2011, and I was glad to scoop them up!   I treasure all my stuff from Jay.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
Yah, I wish I had more from Jay.  One of my biggest regrets is not sending him more projects to work on, like the Burpsi art to repair before ending up selling it for exactly what I paid for it years later.  Crazy to let that piece go.  And once Jay fixed it, it looked amazing.  Sellers remorse.  I used to do a fair amount of lettering repair on the art using the original 'press-on' letters like Topps used (rather than painting the letters instead), but Jay was the master of matching the letters with paint.  He rejuvenated Knots for me, and one other that I can't remember.  I definitely got the sense that he really liked working on Wacky Pack projects for all us collectors.  Like it was a fun blast from the past.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2021, 05:55:55 PM »
Here's an old product I ran across today that I had forgotten about. I remember it being really popular in the 70s!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2021, 08:11:58 PM »
Here's an old product I ran across today that I had forgotten about. I remember it being really popular in the 70s!

Never had that game, but I certainly remember it!

The Wacky could have been Gnit Gnat with gnats flying around and the tagline "It's Gnu!"

Or gnot

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2021, 08:17:10 PM »

I think the 70s was a great time for Parker Bros games and packaging -  I recall Masterpiece, Dealers Choice, Waterworks, the original Nerf ball, etc.
We had the re-designed Careers too....Gnip Gnop was fun...
A

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2021, 07:13:37 AM »
Never had that game, but I certainly remember it!

The Wacky could have been Gnit Gnat with gnats flying around and the tagline "It's Gnu!"

Or gnot

"Gnit Gnat" is fantastic! Your writing talents never cease to astound me! If you're good with it, I'd to paint that up sometime!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2021, 11:35:51 AM »
"Gnit Gnat" is fantastic! Your writing talents never cease to astound me! If you're good with it, I'd to paint that up sometime!

Thank you, you are too kind (seriously). But, I'd love it if you'd paint that up sometime!!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2021, 12:14:25 PM »
I think the 70s was a great time for Parker Bros games and packaging -  I recall Masterpiece, Dealers Choice, Waterworks, the original Nerf ball, etc.
A
I remember a few games by name from the 70s - Hang On Harvey, Air Trix (I think that's how it was written), Crossfire, Bing Bang Boing, Connect Four, Toss Across, Othello - and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head right now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:14:06 PM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
A

Great list! Yeah, why Nerf was never spoofed is a real head scratcher!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2021, 04:16:36 PM »
I just thought of a good candidate for an OLDS Wacky - Kenner's Rex the Tyrannosaurus, King of the Dinosaurs. This toy was released about 1968 and was a large Styrofoam Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton (but it had a short horn on its nose like a Ceratosaurus) that you could put together. It was 6 feet long and 5 feet tall when assembled. The box suggested all kinds of things to do with the toy, like play hide the bones treasure hunt, display it with a name tag that came with it, paint it different colors, let your friends sign it and wiggle its mouth (it was movable).

Ah, the good old days when toys were simple.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:12:02 PM by mikecho »

anything