Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School 9!  (Read 32743 times)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

Re: Wacky Packages Old School 9!
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2020, 05:07:44 PM »
My "shipped" order hasn't even made it to Fedex yet   :sad:

Don't you mean FedUp? ;)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »
comparing card 1 from OLDS 8 to OLDS 9
larger image, very welcome. Thicker black border on this one, which makes it look like an OS card and waiting for a die cut. Most of the other cards do not have a thick border. Some quite thin even, like with Ominous.

pretty sure the card stock is thinner though

(Image removed from quote.)

The larger image looks much better!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2020, 12:28:33 AM »
Is it me or is some of the text on few of these WAY to small? I cant even read it with my glasses on. Nice big images though.

Jim

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2020, 01:07:53 AM »
Don't you mean FedUp? ;)

You're absolutely right!  Now, the order that is still in PA has changed back to an expected delivery day of today, and the one that made it to the local facility during the night says tomorrow.  WTH???   :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:09:27 AM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2020, 05:58:23 AM »
You're absolutely right!  Now, the order that is still in PA has changed back to an expected delivery day of today, and the one that made it to the local facility during the night says tomorrow.  WTH???   :-\ :-\

On a similar note, after my discussion with Topps customer service yesterday morning, last night the tracking status changed from FedEx notified to being here in Terre Haute with expected delivery today. Not sure what kind of magic is afoot, but sometimes a respectful but firm call does wonders.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline drono

« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
Is it me or is some of the text on few of these WAY to small? I cant even read it with my glasses on. Nice big images though.

It looks as though the images were scaled to fit the sticker.  If you notice, the numbers on the landscape stickers seem bigger than the ones on portrait.  Or maybe it's just my 56-year-old eyes fooling me again.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Shipment says it is to be delivered today....but tracking says it's still in Texas....was looking forward to finally seeing these...
A

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2020, 05:36:05 PM »
It looks as though the images were scaled to fit the sticker.  If you notice, the numbers on the landscape stickers seem bigger than the ones on portrait.  Or maybe it's just my 56-year-old eyes fooling me again.

no - its not you - that is what i saw - and i don't wear glasses....the wacky packs are clearer definitely - and great!!love the details!!

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
My OLDS 9 order is enjoying the Florida vacation that COVID is preventing me from taking:  Ft. Lauderdale to Miami to Opa Locka to Hollywood back to Opa Locka and then just relaxing for awhile.  Hope the weather is better there than here in PA.

Offline drono

« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
My OLDS 9 order is enjoying the Florida vacation that COVID is preventing me from taking:  Ft. Lauderdale to Miami to Opa Locka to Hollywood back to Opa Locka and then just relaxing for awhile.

I have a book that I bought off eBay on December 5th as a Christmas present for my wife that is doing something similar.  It started in Secaucus, NJ on 12/5, arrived in Glendale Heights, IL on 12/16 then off to York, PA on 12/17 where it supposedly left on 12/19 but has been stuck in limbo ever since.  I wonder when it will make it to Virginia.

« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
Thanks all, keep the thoughts coming. It's going to be some changes but not everything so keep that in mind. I know we can get a lot more changes for next year as we really revamp Wackys. These are looking up all around for the brand.

Hey, does anyone have a 1985 box that you can take me some good straight on photos of the box front and the four sides?  If so please send me images of them to: slamjim45b@gmail.com

I want to make a mock-up using an On Demand box so they have a clear visual of it.

I was wondering if you ever posted the names of the actual products. A few I can’t identify.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
I was wondering if you ever posted the names of the actual products. A few I can’t identify.

Here they are:
2XL
Topps Apple Juice Gum
Atra Razor
Bonkers!
Bartles & Jaymes
Clairol Blenders
Cool Ranch Doritos
Soup Starter
E.T. Cereal
Equal
Freshen Up
GPK Candy
Gremlins Cereal
Beggin Strips
Ketchips
Magna Cigarettes
Masters of the Universe: He-Man
Monchichi
M.U.S.C.L.E.
Omni Magazine
Orange Julius
Peanut Butter Boppers
Pac-Man Cereal
Rainbow Brite
Salon Selectives
Satin Cigarettes
Swatch Watch
Slice Soda
Summit Bar
The Goonies trading cards

Offline Prez

« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2021, 08:02:29 PM »
[Unless I'm going wacky, and excuse me if someone already posted about this...]
Checklist doesn't match the actual cards.
Checklist shows:
12 = Blunders
14 = Scotch Watch
15 = The Loonies

Actual cards:
12 = The Loonies
14 = Blunders
15 = Scotch Watch

[Also posted this info in appropriate Master List thread.]

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2021, 05:17:25 AM »
[Unless I'm going wacky, and excuse me if someone already posted about this...]
Checklist doesn't match the actual cards.
Checklist shows:
12 = Blunders
14 = Scotch Watch
15 = The Loonies

Actual cards:
12 = The Loonies
14 = Blunders
15 = Scotch Watch

[Also posted this info in appropriate Master List thread.]

You're right!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2021, 07:21:43 AM »
Busted Toe = Busted List
Poor Dave and his Wacky List!

Maybe we can all claim it is a short-print and sell them on Pirate's Bay for thousands!...... :-\

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2021, 09:38:21 AM »
Some comments on OLDS9:

Fav 1: Doritoes. Lol funny, perfect gag.
Fav 2: Atracks. Love the character detail; great art!
Fav 3: Fleshen-up. Love the package look and detail.

I'm very happy to see the larger images. Except for Sliced. This one seems to be too small as compared to Croup Starter, which is another fav.

I still would like to see (literally) larger print. The font and clarity is an issue on some. Best example is 2-XXL. The print on the right side and bottom is impossibly small. I'm wearing reading glasses to see these and still need a magnifying glass for this one.

The Loonies. Awesome character detail. A face only a mother could love.

Dave, are there still plans for products from the 50's, 60's, and 70's and perhaps other older products for OLDS? Sometimes when I see vintage ads from say the old Sears catalog, I think it would be cool to see these as an OLDS series. Here's an idea-what an image of the actual product on one side and the Wacky on the flip side? Flip cards.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:42:59 AM by g.u.e.s.t. »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2021, 06:42:02 PM »
Busted Toe = Busted List
Poor Dave and his Wacky List!

Maybe we can all claim it is a short-print and sell them on Pirate's Bay for thousands!...... :-\

I had it right on the actual checklist I sent them. No idea why they would change anything around. Once it's out of my hands...

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2021, 06:43:38 PM »
Some comments on OLDS9:

Fav 1: Doritoes. Lol funny, perfect gag.
Fav 2: Atracks. Love the character detail; great art!
Fav 3: Fleshen-up. Love the package look and detail.

I'm very happy to see the larger images. Except for Sliced. This one seems to be too small as compared to Croup Starter, which is another fav.

I still would like to see (literally) larger print. The font and clarity is an issue on some. Best example is 2-XXL. The print on the right side and bottom is impossibly small. I'm wearing reading glasses to see these and still need a magnifying glass for this one.

The Loonies. Awesome character detail. A face only a mother could love.

Dave, are there still plans for products from the 50's, 60's, and 70's and perhaps other older products for OLDS? Sometimes when I see vintage ads from say the old Sears catalog, I think it would be cool to see these as an OLDS series. Here's an idea-what an image of the actual product on one side and the Wacky on the flip side? Flip cards.

Yes, I have some things in motion concerning An  Older School series. Probably towards the later part of the year. We are just working out how it's going to go down.

Unfortunately we can never use any of the real products for any Wacky series because of the ownership of the images.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2021, 06:08:28 AM »
Yes, I have some things in motion concerning An  Older School series. Probably towards the later part of the year. We are just working out how it's going to go down.

Unfortunately we can never use any of the real products for any Wacky series because of the ownership of the images.

It defeats the purpose if actual vintage real packaging designs can't be parodied due to ownership rights. That's what I love most about Wacky Packages - the instant recognition and detail of the package parodied.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
*still* waiting for my old school set to arrive.  C'mon postal service.  Been stuck in Florida since Dec. 26th. 

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
It defeats the purpose if actual vintage real packaging designs can't be parodied due to ownership rights. That's what I love most about Wacky Packages - the instant recognition and detail of the package parodied.

The packaging can be parodied, but Topps can't put images of the actual packaging on the backs of the cards.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
The packaging can be parodied, but Topps can't put images of the actual packaging on the backs of the cards.
Topps never puts the real packaging images on the backs. A simple checklist with reference to the name only of the real product should be good enough. If people want to see pictures of it online, they can Google it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
Topps never puts the real packaging images on the backs. A simple checklist with reference to the name only of the real product should be good enough. If people want to see pictures of it online, they can Google it.

I think you misunderstood what I had said. I was answering a question about printing the real products on the backs of the cards which Topps can't do. We can parody most any package old or new.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
Thanks! I mis-read the original poster's tail end remark.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2021, 05:01:59 PM »

That's good to know. Looking forward to some older products!

In terms of the older products, I was thinking vintage products that are no longer made where the copyrights would be expired. Or how about a series of all spoofed Topps products such as vintage beanball, foolsball, hookey, planet of the grapes, etc.?

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2021, 07:51:23 AM »
Finally received my Old School 9 set today.  Better late than never!   :great: