Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School 9!  (Read 32715 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Wacky Packages Old School 9!
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
Hey all, So WP Old School 9 is all set for November. Gags are all written and are at the lawyer for approval. Hope to be starting painting on them in a week or two.

This year's set will once again be the 1980s. I had a number of cool products I really wanted to do and it made sense to do two in a row. Don't worry, the 70s will come back again.

So what I want from you all is to LMK about anything in the series that can be improved upon, what any problems were, etc.

So far there are some changes on the practical side I've already discussed with them.

1. Making sure they have the artwork as large as possible on the front. The images were weirdly shrunk last time.
2. I'm sending them a list of sketch card artists I feel best represent WPs. We need the best of the best working on the sketches this time.
3. I like that pack wrapper card so I've requested to have that stay. Will update the color on it.
4. I've always hated the rough cards. So I designed a WAY cooler thing to replace them. These are so cool they are like a set you'd want even if it was not in Old School.
5. I HATE the generic On Demand black box. It doesn't have any indication of what the set is inside and it's useless for display. I've suggested they print the small box up and make it look like what the series 1-5 Old School boxes looked like. So you'd get a mini Old School 9 box. I'd make it a version of the 1985 box. Will keep you posted on that. Fingers crossed. If you like this idea LMK so I can show them the demand for it.

So beyond these please LMK anything and everything you think about the product. That could be about the Ludlows and backs, the way the puzzles and checklist are set up, the collation, price (keep in mind the sets are VERY expensive to make so Topps needs to make money), who's buying how many sets. are you collecting the different backs, etc, etc.

I also suggested some buying incentives. Buying a certain amount of sets should not only get you on my list for a chance to win a piece of art (which I will do again this time around) but I think should also get you a special bonus gift. I've made a number of suggestions towards that.

I can't guarantee anything but I really want to make this as collectible, as cost effective and as fun as possible. Our WP offerings are limited but online is our only option right now. There are a number of projects in the works but each one depends on the success of the previous one especially for WPs.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:40:36 PM by slamjim »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
Re: Wacky Packages Old School 9!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:57:40 PM »
WAHOOO!!!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »
Hey all, So WP Old School 9 is all set for November. Gags are all written and are at the lawyer for approval. Hope to be starting painting on them in a week or two.

This year's set will once again be the 1980s. I had a number of cool products I really wanted to do and it made sense to do two in a row. Don't worry, the 70s will come back again.

So what I want from you all is to LMK about anything in the series that can be improved upon, what any problems were, etc.

So far there are some changes on the practical side I've already discussed with them.

1. Making sure they have the artwork as large as possible on the front. The images were weirdly shrunk last time.
2. I'm sending them a list of sketch card artists I feel best represent WPs. We need the best of the best working on the sketches this time.
3. I like that pack wrapper card so I've requested to have that stay. Will update the color on it.
4. I've always hated the rough cards. So I designed a WAY cooler thing to replace them. These are so cool they are like a set you'd want even if it was not in Old School.
5. I HATE the generic On Demand black box. It doesn't have any indication of what the set is inside and it's useless for display. I've suggested they print the small box up and make it look like what the series 1-5 Old School boxes looked like. So you'd get a mini Old School 9 box. I'd make it a version of the 1985 box. Will keep you posted on that. Fingers crossed. If you like this idea LMK so I can show them the demand for it.

So beyond these please LMK anything and everything you think about the product. That could be about the Ludlows and backs, the way the puzzles and checklist are set up, the collation, price (keep in mind the sets are VERY expensive to make so Topps needs to make money), who's buying how many sets. are you collecting the different backs, etc, etc.

I also suggested some buying incentives. Buying a certain amount of sets should not only get you on my list for a chance to win a piece of art (which I will do again this time around) but I think should also get you a special bonus gift. I've made a number of suggestions towards that.

I can't guarantee anything but I really want to make this as collectible, as cost effective and as fun as possible. Our WP offerings are limited but online is our only option right now. There are a number of projects in the works but each one depends on the success of the previous one especially for WPs.

David,

This all sounds amazing. You’ve had such a busy 2020 with all the Wackies that have been coming out. Love the idea of the wacky box instead of the generic box. I guess the biggest issue is that it would be nice to know if you bought a certain amount of sets. Such as enough that you would cover off all the variant backs...you would get them all. There are been too many instances of duplicate backs etc. Being able to complete an entire set without having to go onto eBay would make many happy. The sketch cards hold the most value to eBay flippers..so maybe there could be a way to get a complete set of the cards + variant backs without sketch cards. Even if it means buying multiple sets. It’s just the guarantee that would be nice. . Whomever wants the sketch cards can still get them. Maybe there’s a sketch card + base set bundle or something at a different price. Anyways. Just my 2 cents. Can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with and count me in.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:23:33 PM »
Sounds great, Dave! Looking forward to this set. I think making the On Demand box look like a miniature version of an OLDS display box is a very cool idea.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »
Personally, I will miss the pencil cards. I really enjoyed them! But, I trust you to produce a great set, so, I'm in. 100%
Brian Mc

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »
Personally, I will miss the pencil cards. I really enjoyed them! But, I trust you to produce a great set, so, I'm in. 100%

For me they were hard to read and I just didn't like an all B&W set of cards. I'll shows the roughs in large size here and people can make their own cards out them, ha.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »
Love the Box Idea. Very happy to see this series continue.Looking forward to your replacement for roughs. Not a big fan of the roughs. 

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 04:17:36 AM »
Thanks for forwarding our input, Dave.

Increasing the image sizes from last time is definitely my top priority for the cards.  I also would love it if Topps would make sure their cards with printed reverses have consistent orientation!!  I've been pleading for this for years, and they still haven't managed it.  If Topps needs a visual example of a set that doesn't work right, I can PM scans to you.  Those inconsistencies really show when cards are put in pages.

I would prefer that they eliminate tan and ludlow alternate backs; they were fun at first, but now they are just annoying and expensive.  I won't miss the roughs much, especially if there's a cool replacement.  But, I do like a 9 card puzzle, and again, if they're on dual side cards, orientation matters, as does the card numbering if numbered fronts go with puzzle piece reverses.  Alphabetical checklist ordering can also mess with puzzles on the reverse.

I find the generic On Demand box ugly, and the boxes usually tear when I try to open them, so I wouldn't mind just getting the sets in a taped plastic case, especially if it will reduce costs.  But, the header "pack wrapper" card is great and I hope they let you keep it.

A lot of people miss the dedicated binders, but I don't know if the production cost would be too high. 

A buying incentive sounds interesting.  Will ponder on that.

Offline drono

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 05:39:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to another OLDS set!

Here is my opinion:
1. Bigger artwork is certainly better.  You could leave the numbers off completely if you want.
2. I'm not really into the sketches, so just getting 1 would be enough for me.
3. Wrapper card is nice!
4. I didn't care for the pencil roughs either, so any improvement would be greatly appreciated.
5. A cool box related to the product would be super!  Bring back the nostalgia any way you can.

I've never been in favor of intentional back or border variations.  I do like the coupons in the weekly sets only because they feature the same product from the sticker - similar to the Wacky Ads, which are one of my favorite sets.  I never really cared for the coupon backs on the ANS sets.  So just one back with coupons that matched the product would be my first choice.  Puzzle backs would be my second choice.  Anything else is just making it cost too much and not adding any value to the product.  I know they have to make money, and this is probably the best way to sell more.  So...

I would love to see the set marketed with a "kickstarter" approach where you can buy what you want, and only what you want.  If that was the case, then I would buy a base set, a coupon back set, one of your special sets, a few unopened packs (like the last Mars Attacks Kickstarter set), and an uncut sheet (if they still make those with on demand printing).  And for Richard, I'll throw in either a binder or binder inserts so I could use my own binder.  You could even make these inserts for the other OS sets that didn't have a binder too!

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:45 AM »

I would love to see the set marketed with a "kickstarter" approach where you can buy what you want, and only what you want.  If that was the case, then I would buy a base set, a coupon back set, one of your special sets, a few unopened packs (like the last Mars Attacks Kickstarter set), and an uncut sheet (if they still make those with on demand printing). 

I definitely concur with this.

You'd be able to buy what you like and spend as much money as you want.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »

concur on all of that, except possibly #4, but if you have a better replacement, then sure, I'm all for it.

That #1 is top priority, who ever did the layout work on Olds8 is in the wrong profession. All that forced white space was absolutely ridiculous. They clearly didn't give a damn about the end product design, and there was no oversight on that stupidity either.

#2, a solid array of sketches will be key to selling this out.

#3, the pack wrapper header card was good idea, but the design was poorly executed. The brilliant white of the new logo contrasting against the wax wrapper 'white' was just AWFUL. It should be easy to get the OLDS logo elements color-matched with the wax wrapper tones.

#5, yes, a new On Demand box would be fantastic, if it is done up as a mini Wacky box. And perhaps including something like the incentive that was done in the recent GPK Untold Stories On Demand set, where several boxes (1:100) were fully sketched/painted, would be really amazing.

outside of your five - the arrangement of the $50 tier that was used yet again on OLDS8 is just beyond stupid. I believe you tried to get that tier changed before it went on sale last time, but it was too late. If there are two tiers yet again, the lower tier should NOT simply be a random third of the cards in the upper tier, where there isn't even a complete base set provided. Having a lower priced 'entry point' makes sense to attract buyers, but the content for these was totally brainless. Make the tier meaningful and not a third-assed sham.

as mentioned elsewhere, the tan/ludlow backs are tired at this point. Puzzle backs, which were actually in the '85 set, would be a nice change-up.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 07:53:03 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 08:18:12 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for asking for our input, as our output of WackyLoot will drive this:

1. Eliminate the Pencils
2. GREAT Sketches only
3. BINDER BINDER BINDER (I do not mind creating them for the group) ....OFFICIAL Binder is BETTER!
4. Too Many Variations - OLD SCHOOL - Keep it that way......
     a. Wrapper
     b. Checklist
     c. BASE STICKERS!!! (Not Cards) - Peel 'em and Stick them old way!
5. New Ideas or repeated successes:
     a. QUALITY Sketch Cards
     b. Die Cut Versions of each card in the set (THIS would be a COOL Chase Set)
     c. Mixed Up Art - From Chrome
     d. Sticker Guide (Like the 1982 Album Stickers) - KICKSTARTER
     e. Kick Starter - Dr.Ono had it right
     f. Show the Real Product on the Back of the Spoof
        1. Do a Lenticular of the Original and the Spoof - Bonus Set
6. Bonus Sets - 9 CARDS ONLY!!!!!! - VERY Frustrating with 10 for display purposes - NINE Only please!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline dth1971

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »
Why not a seperate subset featuring 10 entries of 1990's products Wacky Packages style, here are possible 1990's products that can be Wacky Packages Old School 1990's spoofed:
* Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic book
* Fruit String Thing
* Hidden Treasures cereal
* George magazine
* Chicken Tonight simmer sauce
* Duncan's Cups mix
* Topps Animaniacs trading cards
* Crystal Pepsi
* Tyson Looney Tunes meals
* Sky Dancers toy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:45:58 AM by dth1971 »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »
Thanks all, keep the thoughts coming. It's going to be some changes but not everything so keep that in mind. I know we can get a lot more changes for next year as we really revamp Wackys. These are looking up all around for the brand.

Hey, does anyone have a 1985 box that you can take me some good straight on photos of the box front and the four sides?  If so please send me images of them to: slamjim45b@gmail.com

I want to make a mock-up using an On Demand box so they have a clear visual of it.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
Could you do a mixed-up character variant like they did with chrome. IE: Take one or four of the new titles and insert a character from another OLD School title.

Make these cards rare and let us have some fun chasing them.

Andrew

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
just my opinion, and I think if it were a different type of card, a Kickstarter-style
sale would work, but these are still "collectible" cards and there is a fun aspect to
buying cards and trying to collect and fill a whole set. 

I agree, it shouldn't be terribly difficult, and shouldn't break the bank either.  If they
offered different "levels" of sets, would that be appealing to most people?

i.e. for X amount of dollars, you get the basic set
      for an additional X amount, you'll get the basic set, plus ludlows
      add X for the coupon sets
      add X for sketch cards
      etc.

Disclaimer:  I'm just curious myself what everyone thinks as well, and I call
myself a completist to a point, and have been enjoying the Wacky surge and
want it to continue for a long time!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
just my opinion, and I think if it were a different type of card, a Kickstarter-style
sale would work, but these are still "collectible" cards and there is a fun aspect to
buying cards and trying to collect and fill a whole set. 

I agree, it shouldn't be terribly difficult, and shouldn't break the bank either.  If they
offered different "levels" of sets, would that be appealing to most people?

add X for sketch cards
      etc.

Disclaimer:  I'm just curious myself what everyone thinks as well, and I call
myself a completist to a point, and have been enjoying the Wacky surge and
want it to continue for a long time!

Totally agree with you about the various levels. I consider myself a completionist as well. I also have to agree that this year has been amazing for Wackies and the quality of Wackies. Keep this train going. Just needs a bit of fine tuning.

Offline drono

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 05:51:55 AM »
      add X for sketch cards
      etc.

Disclaimer:  I'm just curious myself what everyone thinks as well

Absolutely!  A "name your price tool" to steal the slogan from Progressive.  I love Wacky Packages too, and used to consider myself a completist, but my life has other priorities as I've gotten older.  Spending $200 for something that should cost me $50 to get what I really want can only try my patience before too long before "I'm out" to steal a slogan from Shark Tank.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 06:38:28 PM »
Great news, Dave!  I like all your suggestions and know you are a great advocate for Wackys to Topps.  A few of the most important changes, off the top of my tired head, would be

1.  Get rid of back variations!  Or allow people to buy sets with whatever back they choose.  That way, someone can buy a set of just white (or whatever) and be done with it.  If someone wants all three backs, they can buy all three sets.
2.  I love the idea of the box mimicking the '85 box.  I've missed those Old School boxes (not to mention actual packs).
3.  I like the sketches and am willing to pay for them, but wouldn't mind if they were  a la carte.  Options to simply buy the set, the sketches, back variations, etc would be nice.  We cheapskates could keep it simple but there would be plenty of options for deeper pocketed collectors.
4.  I'd love to see a binder, perhaps one that is based just on your 80's designs.

Keep up the good work!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 06:50:46 PM »
By the way, will it be next month in October 2020 we may see the list of what 1980's products will get spoofed in OS9?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »
Hey all, So WP Old School 9 is all set for November.

So, how will they be available this time?  Only at Topps, or will Target, etc., get them?  I haven't bought new Wackys in a while, but I don't want to miss out on OS9.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
So, how will they be available this time?  Only at Topps, or will Target, etc., get them?  I haven't bought new Wackys in a while, but I don't want to miss out on OS9.

Old School has always been an online offering.

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Dear mr gross, like many forum users, i can't wait for the next old school series. I hope we get a sneak peek of it soon.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »
Dear mr gross, like many forum users, i can't wait for the next old school series. I hope we get a sneak peek of it soon.

Probably should be some previews the end of the first week of November. It goes on sale the 12th.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the updates Dave

11-12-20 - Vvvaaaaaavvaaaaavvvvaaaaaa Vooooooooooooom!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »

Hi David!

I know you mentioned that you will preview some art from this set soon...but do you have any more info on content, configuration, what a complete set will entail (base set, back variations, chase cards, bonus/purchase incentive cards etc) thank you! Can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with for Old School 9!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »
Probably should be some previews the end of the first week of November. It goes on sale the 12th.

What 1980's products are going to be spoofed in OS9? We'll find out next week...

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »
Only one week until spooftacular 80s goodness. I can hardly wait.

Offline quas

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 01:04:01 PM »
Only one week until spooftacular 80s goodness. I can hardly wait.

Same here.  Hopefully not too many "chase" cards.
Marc

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
So mr gross, where's the sneak peek?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
Hey all, I think Monday will be the sneak peek and hopefully I can give more details. I expect it to go on sale the 12th. I know they have a killer lineup of sketch card artists and this time they gave them a lot of time do do the art.

Had some messed up issues getting online, sorry for the wait in my response.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
Hey all, I think Monday will be the sneak peek and hopefully I can give more details. I expect it to go on sale the 12th. I know they have a killer lineup of sketch card artists and this time they gave them a lot of time do do the art.

Had some messed up issues getting online, sorry for the wait in my response.

Looking forward to Monday!! Thanks for the update!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
If they're not going to be at Target, do we order OS9 from the Topps website, or directly from one of the cool collectors-turned-artists on here?  Neil?  Dave?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
Old School has always been an online only set at Topps.com

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2020, 03:06:00 PM »
Cool.  Thanks.  Pardon my wacky question, as both an old-school mag-7 and newbie to ANS.  It's like being a kid and a geezer at the same time!

anything