Author Topic: Unopened  (Read 19208 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Unopened
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »
Maybe he is doing more info gathering before accepting an offer or setting his price? He should confirm authenticity, though, regardless. And, he should have done the info gathering before coming here, really.
You'll get something much sweeter: a genuine, full Series 1 box to savor, LOL.
I traded a couple of messages with him.  I think he's came to this forum to gather information which is what people often do when they come to collector forums. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »
I traded a couple of messages with him.  I think he's came to this forum to gather information which is what people often do when they come to collector forums.

Gathering info. is fine, but when you post a pic. of a Wacky item that cool and something you want to sell, but don't mention a price. I feel that's what all of us are concerned about.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »

Gathering info. is fine, but when you post a pic. of a Wacky item that cool and something you want to sell, but don't mention a price. I feel that's what all of us are concerned about.

Stated another way, if you don’t have any time to follow up - address questions, more fully disclose what’s being offered, pricing, etc., then avoid posting anything until you do have time.  Don’t just drop a bomb and then vanish.  I know I’m being a little overly dramatic, but you get the idea.

Of course, maybe some PMs have gotten responses and members are keeping it close to the vest in hopes of having an inside track to land one of these puppies, which of course is their prerogative.  And of course it’s the seller’s prerogative to sniff out whatever market can be found in addition to the Forum, but then just say something to that effect.  How can you figure out the best market or where you’ll get the best offer if you won’t disclose what you’ve got?  Is it behind door #2 or door #3?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 05:47:54 AM »
I am not keeping anything close to the vest, he has offered zero information on pricing he has been purely asking for info.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:02 AM »

He's clearly does State he is here looking to sell so it would be disappointing if he doesn't at some point come up with a price.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
I am not keeping anything close to the vest, he has offered zero information on pricing he has been purely asking for info.
Ok, then the actual dialogue has been slim to none as I initially suspected.  A few words from him on how he is approaching this would have helped.  Just saying “hey, I’ve got this stuff and looking to sell” to me suggests we’re not talking about a lengthy information-gathering mission, but rather sounds like someone ready to get down to brass tacks about actual sales.

Offline drono

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
This entire post reminds me of that trick we pulled on each other as kids.  A piece of paper with this written on both sides:

How to keep someone busy
Flip over the paper

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
This entire post reminds me of that trick we pulled on each other as kids.  A piece of paper with this written on both sides:

How to keep someone busy
Flip over the paper
Point taken.  But understand I’m not even a prospective buyer; my hobby budget can’t accommodate a full OS box no matter which series he’s got.  Despite that, I figured if the situation annoyed me a little, it would certainly annoy those who are seriously interested and have the scratch to act on it.  If I’m wrong, then kudos to all for taking this in stride better than I have.

Offline drono

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »
But understand I’m not even a prospective buyer; my hobby budget can’t accommodate a full OS box no matter which series he’s got.

Me either.  I'd be happy with one 1st series pack.  Even if I had the money for either, I could think of better things to spend it on.  I just thought it was funny how everyone was getting so upset over what was called a "catfish" earlier in the thread.  Maybe it's the pandemic lock down speaking.  Kudos to anyone who can afford and does manage to buy any full boxes.

I do hope, if it exists and is legitimate, that it is kept together.  I get tired of seeing full boxes killed just for the chance at PSA 10s.  Similarly, my grandson is really into atlases, so I've been trying to find him one from before 1860 where the United States is not so well defined.  The auctions on eBay that start with a price I'm willing to pay are so often run up and bought by dealers who then separate the individual maps and resell them on eBay.  It's such a shame to take something so rare that would be enjoyed by a true collector and break it up just for profit.  Gordon Gekko would certainly be proud.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 06:11:29 AM »
Wow, I didn’t know antique maps were a hot collectibles, or that full atlases were being broken down like that.  I guess a lot of collectors might only be interested in their own state or even city/town, hence the disassembly.  But the historical growth of the country and states being established from the colonial period all the way up to the 1950s makes for a lot of history to explore.

I’ve been into newspaper comic strips lately, which has some similarities to historical map collecting.  I don’t try to go any further back than the 70s, but a lot of serious collectors go back to the 1940s, 1930s or even earlier.  Unlike what you’re experiencing, collectors don’t seem to frown on separating sections into clipped strips, building runs of a particular title, etc.  rather, most of the criticism seems to be directed at what the newspapers did to cram more strips into a given page space - shrinking the overall size, trimming the panels or removing some altogether, stuff I never knew went on.  For example, the Sunday paper of my childhood had a full-page Dick Tracy on the front page, but I’ve read that papers that ran those same Sunday strips in half-page format did so not just by scaling down the size and re-formatting the layout, say from a portrait to landscape configuration, but also by removing a few panels altogether!  It’s like taking out part of the story that the writer/illustrator created!  So a purist collector of truly complete strips really has their work cut out for them.  Maybe it’s better to stick with collecting weekday strips, which I don’t think went through any of these shenanigans.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
Point taken.  But understand I’m not even a prospective buyer; my hobby budget can’t accommodate a full OS box no matter which series he’s got.  Despite that, I figured if the situation annoyed me a little, it would certainly annoy those who are seriously interested and have the scratch to act on it.  If I’m wrong, then kudos to all for taking this in stride better than I have.

The only full boxes I've ever owned were a 10th and a 16th and I don't have them any longer.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
Wow, I didn’t know antique maps were a hot collectibles, or that full atlases were being broken down like that.  I guess a lot of collectors might only be interested in their own state or even city/town, hence the disassembly.  But the historical growth of the country and states being established from the colonial period all the way up to the 1950s makes for a lot of history to explore.

I’ve been into newspaper comic strips lately, which has some similarities to historical map collecting.  I don’t try to go any further back than the 70s, but a lot of serious collectors go back to the 1940s, 1930s or even earlier.  Unlike what you’re experiencing, collectors don’t seem to frown on separating sections into clipped strips, building runs of a particular title, etc.  rather, most of the criticism seems to be directed at what the newspapers did to cram more strips into a given page space - shrinking the overall size, trimming the panels or removing some altogether, stuff I never knew went on.  For example, the Sunday paper of my childhood had a full-page Dick Tracy on the front page, but I’ve read that papers that ran those same Sunday strips in half-page format did so not just by scaling down the size and re-formatting the layout, say from a portrait to landscape configuration, but also by removing a few panels altogether!  It’s like taking out part of the story that the writer/illustrator created!  So a purist collector of truly complete strips really has their work cut out for them.  Maybe it’s better to stick with collecting weekday strips, which I don’t think went through any of these shenanigans.
After my parents split and Mom and kids settled in NJ, I pulled up the floor boards in a closet in my bedroom and comic pages from 1940's newspapers.  I am fairly certain I still have them somewhere wrapped in plastic.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »

On Sundays, "Peanuts" would lead with two panels that weren't essential to the story. (Some of these were classics in their own right.)  It was common for newspapers to omit these, but the reader could still follow the gag.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
After my parents split and Mom and kids settled in NJ, I pulled up the floor boards in a closet in my bedroom and comic pages from 1940's newspapers.  I am fairly certain I still have them somewhere wrapped in plastic.
Wow, sounds like they were well-preserved from being encrypted like that for so many years.  Up on the main floor or upstairs floor kept them nice and dry.  Probably whoever installed the flooring was looking to level the subfloor on the cheap. . . Friggin’ contractors. . .

I have a really odd story from early childhood, about how NOT to preserve comics or newsprint in general.  Hard to say if subconsciously it planted a seed of interest in newspaper comics stronger than it might have otherwise been.

I was maybe 6 or 7, and I was friends with a kid named Eric who lived a few houses down on the block.  One day in the summer he says hey, I want to show you something.  He takes me into his garage, like through a small side door, and the entire floor space is covered in bundles of old newspapers.  I don’t know if they were strictly color Sunday comic sections or full newspapers as well, but it was mostly comics showing on the outside on the bundles.  There were no cars in the garage, no bikes, gardening tools, etc, nothing.  Just wall-to-wall bundles of newspapers, maybe a foot thick each.  And not neatly stacked to maintain some clear floor space, just randomly piled like rocks in a jetty.  You could barely move in there.   I was fascinated, but we couldn’t really open and read anything because there was a powerful musty mildew smell from long-term moisture and humidity exposure of the paper.  The smell was too overwhelming.

Eric’s family sold the house and moved a short time after that, which couldn’t have been easy if what I saw was indicative of a larger hoarding problem, something I did not know of or understand at the time of course.  Had Eric stayed around into later years I definitely would have had some follow-up questions lol.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
On Sundays, "Peanuts" would lead with two panels that weren't essential to the story. (Some of these were classics in their own right.)  It was common for newspapers to omit these, but the reader could still follow the gag.
Yes, good point, I forgot to mention that.  Some of the humor strips would have a top row with a one or two panel lead-in joke separate from the gist of the strip, and those were made to be expendable should a given newspaper decide to go with a smaller format on that strip and be pressed for space.  It looks nicer to have the full version of a strip because you get the artist-drawn title panel rather than just a block letter title over the strip like you see with dailies, but you’re right, it doesn’t really detract from the main strip.  I’m not sure if the more serialized strips did it too, I’ve read that it was done with Dick Tracy, but I would tend to think that in those cases it could compromise the storytelling somewhat.  But I’ve read some Dick Tracy anthologies, and there is sometimes some back-tracking in the story-telling from one day to the next.  Maybe a creator’s way of compensating for the possibility of some panels being cut?  That would be a shrewd way of getting around the problem.

One day i’ll Have to check my own collection to see if I have Sunday sections from the same date but different newspapers, where a given title included in both was complete in one paper and shortened in another. 

Offline freetoes

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
Yes, good point, I forgot to mention that.  Some of the humor strips would have a top row with a one or two panel lead-in joke separate from the gist of the strip, and those were made to be expendable should a given newspaper decide to go with a smaller format on that strip and be pressed for space.  It looks nicer to have the full version of a strip because you get the artist-drawn title panel rather than just a block letter title over the strip like you see with dailies, but you’re right, it doesn’t really detract from the main strip.  I’m not sure if the more serialized strips did it too, I’ve read that it was done with Dick Tracy, but I would tend to think that in those cases it could compromise the storytelling somewhat.  But I’ve read some Dick Tracy anthologies, and there is sometimes some back-tracking in the story-telling from one day to the next.  Maybe a creator’s way of compensating for the possibility of some panels being cut?  That would be a shrewd way of getting around the problem.

One day i’ll Have to check my own collection to see if I have Sunday sections from the same date but different newspapers, where a given title included in both was complete in one paper and shortened in another.

Oh yes, Dick Tracy. The Case of the Skull and Guillotine was running when I bought my first Wackys. I only got to read it on Sundays (our regular paper was weekdays-only), and would mentally fill in the blanks each week. This was near the end of the Chester Gould solo era, before the wave of recycled villains from the late '70's on.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »
Interesting that you remember Dick Tracy so well from that long ago.  I never tried to follow it because at that age, even though my Dad pretty much brought home a weekday paper every day, I just didn’t have the same awareness of the daily strips as I did the Sunday color comics, so I never tried to follow it because once a week wasn’t enough to make sense of what as going on.  But I was fascinated by Gould’s drawing style (and Fletcher / Collins thereafter), the thick lines, use of shadows, really weird characters (aside from the villains), and I always wanted to cut out those little crime stoppers notebook pages and make my own tiny notebook!  Dick Tracy was a full page strip in our Sunday paper in the 70s; ironically by the early 80’s they stopped running the Sunday strips but kept the weekday strips.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »

I received a reply to my PM and He stated that he has decided to hold on to them at this point just to let everyone know. Not selling after all :sad:

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 06:20:35 PM »
I received a reply to my PM and He stated that he has decided to hold on to them at this point just to let everyone know. Not selling after all :sad:
Well at least that’s an answer, though I’m sure not the answer most of us were hoping for.  At least we made the most of the situation and talked about some other interesting stuff on the thread while waiting to see what happens.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2020, 05:35:28 AM »
I'd say there's equal chance he just used the forum to get information and he actually sold what he had to someone else and that someone else directed him to just tell us all hes keeping this stuff.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »
He hasn't been on the forum in over a week.  Did he email you more recently than that?  Last I heard from him was the last day he logged in here, Aug 14 and he gave no indication he was keeping them and he was still pumping me for information.  He has not responded to any of my contact attempts since then.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
I'd say there's equal chance he just used the forum to get information and he actually sold what he had to someone else and that someone else directed him to just tell us all hes keeping this stuff.
Good point.  He didn’t sound like a Wacky enthusiast by any stretch.  Maybe he only just found out recently that his father had kept stuff.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »

I got the email yesterday.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
I’m assuming this is one of his?
Hmmmm...maybe, but from the damage, the one in this auction is not the one he posted here originally. Different wear patterns and marks. I suppose it could be another one he has.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe, but from the damage, the one in this auction is not the one he posted here originally. Different wear patterns and marks. I suppose it could be another one he has.

I noticed that too. Considering one has never surfaced before (to my knowledge), it would seem like an awfully big coincidence if they weren’t related...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
Considering one has never surfaced before (to my knowledge), it would seem like an awfully big coincidence if they weren’t related...
True dat. The possibility that this guy has more than one S1 full box just freaks me out...lol.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
True dat. The possibility that this guy has more than one S1 full box just freaks me out...lol.
So it shows the current bid as $16,000.  But does it actually have a bid on it?  I'm not too familiar with Heritage auctions so I don't know if it shows the number of bids or not?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
So it shows the current bid as $16,000.  But does it actually have a bid on it?  I'm not too familiar with Heritage auctions so I don't know if it shows the number of bids or not?

If you look at the information at the bottom of the page it says it has five bids.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
If this is from CB, I wonder what he told them. The box is described as "possibly unique," with an estimated value of $50,000-up.

In the words of our friends from Shark Tank, "I'm out."

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2020, 12:22:22 AM »
If this is from CB, I wonder what he told them. The box is described as "possibly unique," with an estimated value of $50,000-up.

In the words of our friends from Shark Tank, "I'm out."

$50,000??   :o :o

Offline quas

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2020, 01:52:37 AM »
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2020, 04:33:55 AM »

It’s a little high, but individual packs have sold for $1000. I don’t think you can multiply that by 48, but if two wealthy folks really want it, the sky is the limit!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2020, 04:35:42 AM »

How many people with this amount of money to spend would go for a box of fifty year old obsolete-branded cards? I would assume not many.

I could very easily be wrong, of course, but I do not see this selling for $50,000 even if that's what it's worth.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2020, 04:46:17 AM »
How many people with this amount of money to spend would go for a box of fifty year old obsolete-branded cards? I would assume not many.

I could very easily be wrong, of course, but I do not see this selling for $50,000 even if that's what it's worth.

Already at $16.5K.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:48:34 AM by Paul_Maul »

anything