Author Topic: Unopened  (Read 19222 times)

Offline Corvette Bill

Unopened
« on: August 10, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
Ok I have several of theses my father worked for Topps for years and I’m looking to sell

Offline BattleCaps

Re: Unopened
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:05:51 PM »
Very nice  :D

I'm sure they're out of my price range, but it would be a great way to start a collection.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »
Very nice  :D

I'm sure they're out of my price range, but it would be a great way to start a collection.

Agreed very nice indeed, how much would you be looking at for a box?

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »
I am interested, PM sent

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 02:49:36 AM »
PM sent.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 03:08:12 AM »
Screw those minis, THIS is what I’m talking about!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 06:35:21 AM »
Pm sent
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline drstu

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 08:00:06 AM »
I am interested as well.  PM me with prices.  Thanks...

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
What series are we looking at here?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
What series are we looking at here?
Most likely 1973 Series 1, I'd say, since the "New Series" sticker isn't there. 'course, if it never went to a retailer...don't know if that matters, though.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
Most likely 1973 Series 1, I'd say, since the "New Series" sticker isn't there. 'course, if it never went to a retailer...don't know if that matters, though.
Has anyone received a response?  I tried to send a PM this morning but was just coming back from a power outage, a short second one following last week’s Hurricane Isaias - related outage, and my Wi-Fi was spotty for a while so I couldn’t get through.

I’m sure I can’t afford a full box of OS Wackys, but I’m curious what he’s got, as well as any non -Wacky items.  That Big Buddy pull-out ad or flyer looks pretty cool.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »
PM sent.

could this be a full box of first series 1973?   if so....  we are talking several thousands $$$$

ps.  I saved those pics .... for part of my wacky collection...   ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:16:46 PM by 70s_Kid »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »

I thought Series 1 packs were more valuable than Series 2?

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 02:21:27 PM »
PM sent.

This would be one of the rarest wacky collectibles ever found if true... the pics look legit....  wow!!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »
I thought Series 1 packs were more valuable than Series 2?

I'm not the authority, but I'd say yes, Series 1's are worth more if they can be determined as that series. I would assume these are all legit, but who knows? Not enough pictures to tell entirely if they're even Series 1 besides the whole "New Series" sticker and I'd say there's multiple grains of salt to be taken with that because I am not sure if Topps added these or if the stores did.

I also never received a message back, by the way.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
the whole "New Series" sticker ... I am not sure if Topps added these or if the stores did.

Topps definitely added those. not something that would be left to the retailers to manually stick on boxes

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
Topps definitely added those. not something that would be left to the retailers to manually stick on boxes

Agreed.  Retailers (by me, anyway) routinely left one box on the counter and threw new packs in as it emptied.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 06:03:06 PM »
Agreed.  Retailers (by me, anyway) routinely left one box on the counter and threw new packs in as it emptied.
That’s incredible presence of mind to notice something like that, at such a young age.  The most I would have ever picked up on is changes in pack and/or box colors, which usually meant a new Series was at hand.  Let the drooling begin.

So if your local retailer was taking packs out of boxes to put them in an existing counter box over and over, it probably just means he/she couldn’t be bothered folding back the lid of every new box and popping the cardboard perforations to make the WP grocery bag graphic pop up.  Which means that literally scores of pristine boxes were likely just tossed out in the trash.  Mind-boggling.  If we could take our current-day selves and go back in time to 1973-75 as WP preservationists, imagine the volume and variety of material that would still be surviving today.  And not just Wackys, all kinds of cool candy and gum boxes, wrappers, etc.  I’d probably spend every free moment loitering in candy stores, driving around to the back exits and dumpster-diving, etc. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
That’s incredible presence of mind to notice something like that, at such a young age.  The most I would have ever picked up on is changes in pack and/or box colors, which usually meant a new Series was at hand.  Let the drooling begin.

So if your local retailer was taking packs out of boxes to put them in an existing counter box over and over, it probably just means he/she couldn’t be bothered folding back the lid of every new box and popping the cardboard perforations to make the WP grocery bag graphic pop up.  Which means that literally scores of pristine boxes were likely just tossed out in the trash.  Mind-boggling.  If we could take our current-day selves and go back in time to 1973-75 as WP preservationists, imagine the volume and variety of material that would still be surviving today.  And not just Wackys, all kinds of cool candy and gum boxes, wrappers, etc.  I’d probably spend every free moment loitering in candy stores, driving around to the back exits and dumpster-diving, etc.

My first two packs were Series 2.  When I went back the next week, I got a Series 1 pack and a Series 2 pack (I could tell from the checklists that they were different).  But the wrappers were the same, so I was confused! 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
My first two packs were Series 2.  When I went back the next week, I got a Series 1 pack and a Series 2 pack (I could tell from the checklists that they were different).  But the wrappers were the same, so I was confused!
Yes, makes sense given the red packs were in use for series 1-3.  When you look at Wrapper/box color combos over OS 1-16, it’s weird how some combinations pointed to one specific series only, while others hung around for 2 or 3 consecutive series.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
So getting back to the OP.  Was this legitimate?  Did anyone get a reply back?  This was their one and only post on the forum.  Makes me wonder if this was a troll or scammer?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline drstu

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
Prices please...

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
Prices please...

I agree, if he is selling, a price is required.

Offline drono

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
It says 5 cents right on the box.  I'll gladly pay him $2.40 for the entire box. 

Why didn't I ever have the money to do that when I was 9 years old?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »
It says 5 cents right on the box.  I'll gladly pay him $2.40 for the entire box. 

Why didn't I ever have the money to do that when I was 9 years old?

I managed it once, with Series 15.  Sadly, although I kept all the stickers and checklists, I used the box to store the gum and wrappers, and they eventually got tossed.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
So getting back to the OP.  Was this legitimate?  Did anyone get a reply back?  This was their one and only post on the forum.  Makes me wonder if this was a troll or scammer?
That’s what it’s starting to feel like.  Anytime someone leaves a post like that, literally registers as a new user for that sole purpose, and then mysteriously ceases any communications thereafter, it’s probably a Wacky catfish, to use modern-day lingo.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »
What reason would anyone have to "catfish"/troll a group as niche as a wacky packages forum?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:46:16 PM by cmgmd »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
What reason would anyone have to "catfish" something as niche as a wacky packages forum?
Probably the wrong choice in terms, as it suggests stringing someone along over an extended period of time for romantic/emotional reasons, but it feels like a petty power trip, getting everyone excited to see what he has to offer, asking prices, etc., and then going silent.  If he comes back to life I’ll have to eat my words, but I still don’t see any indication that anyone has heard back.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 06:55:54 PM »

At the time, that must have been confusing. The earlier checklist wouldn't have had a series number on it. If you figured out that it must be a Series 1, give yourself logic points.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »
BTW, to my recollection there has never been such a thing as a full Series 1 box turning up. The closest thing was when Eric assembled about 30 packs and kept them in an original box. But the possibility still gets us excited. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »
There was a partial box of 31 packs that was part of an original box sold on eBay in 2002. I believe it was purchased by Greg Schwartz. Come to think of it, it may have been sold by Eric. It was not pieced together though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:01:44 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »
That little Big Buddy flyer on top gives it the look of an undisturbed full box.  Not that I would know to expect that, but it does give that impression.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 03:28:22 AM »
That little Big Buddy flyer on top gives it the look of an undisturbed full box.  Not that I would know to expect that, but it does give that impression.

I was thinking the same thing.

I do hope he comes back and gives us asking prices.  I've made some serious Wacky purchases this year and might have to bow out on this, but in that case at least I'll have the Jolly Mean 21 to console me, and that is less fragile and takes up less space  :P

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 04:16:41 AM »
I've seen him online twice since this was posted. Why would he not confirm the validity of the box?

Oh, and if we buy a box do we get a complementary bag of Brookside chocolates?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
I've seen him online twice since this was posted. Why would he not confirm the validity of the box?
Maybe he is doing more info gathering before accepting an offer or setting his price? He should confirm authenticity, though, regardless. And, he should have done the info gathering before coming here, really.

Oh, and if we buy a box do we get a complementary bag of Brookside chocolates?
You'll get something much sweeter: a genuine, full Series 1 box to savor, LOL.

anything