Author Topic: New 90's Wacky Puzzle  (Read 4395 times)

Offline DrDeal

New 90's Wacky Puzzle
« on: June 21, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
I saw this item on Amazon and found it on Ebay too:   eBay item number:164228051987 Springbook 500 Piece Looney Labels Puzzle.

All Newer Wacky titles.  I ordered one as I only have two other Wacky Puzzles and a new one will be fun.

Is this new to anyone else or am I alone in not being aware of this one?

Andrew

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator

Offline DrDeal

Re: New 90's Wacky Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
I think they called it Looney Labels to avoid paying any licensing fees to Topps.

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
My wife bought me two for Father's Day - one to assemble and one to leave unopened.  They look nice.  I'm going to challenge myself as I have with the Jaymar and White Mountain puzzles by randomly picking pieces from the box and assembling the puzzle in place.

She bought them from Amazon, but they're available from Springbok and eBay too.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:26:40 PM by drono »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
I think they called it Looney Labels to avoid paying any licensing fees to Topps.

How did they get away with using the Wacky Packages images though?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 10:38:04 AM »
That's what I'd like to know, too!

Wouldn't you think that Topps would've found out about something like this long ago and shut it down? That's what I'd think.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
Maybe the same way White Mountain got away with using Jason's candy wrapper images?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
Maybe the same way White Mountain got away with using Jason's candy wrapper images?
Okay, I'll give you that one. That's obvious.

Still doesn't make it right, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:58:11 PM by mikecho »

Offline drono

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
Mama always said "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »
My sense is this puzzle will be shut down once Topps learns of it. Buy now or you may regret it. Looking forward to putting this one together.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 05:40:44 PM »
Ordered

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 04:24:14 AM »
My sense is this puzzle will be shut down once Topps learns of it. Buy now or you may regret it. Looking forward to putting this one together.

The box says that Springbok is the oldest puzzle brand made in America - over 55 years.  It's hard to imagine that they would make a puzzle that would be shut down, but maybe that happens all the time.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 05:10:39 AM »
The box says that Springbok is the oldest puzzle brand made in America - over 55 years.  It's hard to imagine that they would make a puzzle that would be shut down, but maybe that happens all the time.

If it was licensed, I'd expect it to be called Wacky Packages. 

I think I have an extra Jaymar Wacky puzzle without the box.  Will look, and assemble it to make sure all the pieces are there.  Anyone bored and looking for an older Wacky puzzle?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:12:27 AM by RawGoo »

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »
If it was licensed, I'd expect it to be called Wacky Packages. 

Maybe Topps gave them permission to use the images but not the name.  Similar to the re-run TV shows that have to change their title when run in syndication years later.  I seem to remember The Monkees being shown as The Monkee Generation many years later, but I couldn't find any references to it on the Internet.  Maybe my mind is going in it's [sic] old age.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 12:25:08 PM »
Maybe Topps gave them permission to use the images but not the name.  Similar to the re-run TV shows that have to change their title when run in syndication years later.  I seem to remember The Monkees being shown as The Monkee Generation many years later, but I couldn't find any references to it on the Internet.  Maybe my mind is going in it's [sic] old age.
The Monkee Generation? Never heard of that title.

In fact, when I saw it on UHF in PA in the 1970s when I was a kid, it was The Monkees. It was either on Channel 17, 29 or 48, I'm not sure which, but I know it was on weekdays.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

LOL, well I expected the one I ordered to at least LOOK like Wacky Packages. It arrived today and looks like this...

Now, just maybe, there is a box of WPs up at that counter.  ;D  They replied within 30 minutes to my inquiry and are sending the correct puzzle. They said to keep the incorrect one and "solve it or donate it". So A+ for customer service.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:25:46 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »
I received the puzzle last week. It took about 3 days to complete due to being 500 pieces. I like 1000 piece puzzles that take a long time to complete.
So not loving this one too much. Also, a large number of pieces were still put together when I dumped out the box to begin. That's not common. Lastly,
there are perforation spots along the top edge of the puzzle which detract quite a bit. I don't have the patience to take a exacto knife and trim the whole top edge of the puzzle. I think puzzle companies are probably having a huge year due pandemic puzzle activities. They probably do better most of the time. So happy to have this one, but its not going to be a favorite of mine.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
I received the puzzle last week. It took about 3 days to complete due to being 500 pieces. I like 1000 piece puzzles that take a long time to complete.
So not loving this one too much. Also, a large number of pieces were still put together when I dumped out the box to begin. That's not common. Lastly,
there are perforation spots along the top edge of the puzzle which detract quite a bit. I don't have the patience to take a exacto knife and trim the whole top edge of the puzzle. I think puzzle companies are probably having a huge year due pandemic puzzle activities. They probably do better most of the time. So happy to have this one, but its not going to be a favorite of mine.

I thought this one looked like it would be fun.
https://www.springbok-puzzles.com/product-p/33-10796.htm

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
I thought this one looked like it would be fun.
https://www.springbok-puzzles.com/product-p/33-10796.htm

That looks great. I will find one.

Thanks Pat!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »

That looks great. I will find one.

Thanks Pat!

I might buy one as well, depending on the quality of the Wacky puzzle.  Otherwise, Bits and Pieces is the way to go for high quality jigsaw puzzles.

I once did a 5,000 piece puzzle.  It took months!  I was about 14, and I worked on my bedroom floor using a piece of cardboard from a refrigerator shipping box that I slid under my dresser when not working on it.  Can't do that anymore!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »
The Springbok Car puzzle is out of stock everywhere but you can order it form Amazon and it ships in two weeks.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 05:29:19 AM »
The Springbok Car puzzle is out of stock everywhere but you can order it form Amazon and it ships in two weeks.

It was in stock when I found it.  Guess I waited too long!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 12:47:45 AM »
I started the 500 piece Springbok Wacky puzzle during the night last night, and just finished it.  Took me about 6 hours to complete.  The pieces are pretty big, and it wasn't very hard; not sure why they classified it as an adult level puzzle.

I have a Jaymar puzzle without a box that I got in a trade years ago.  Think I'll try that next, to verify that all of the pieces are there.  If they are, maybe I'll pass it along.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 02:59:15 AM »
I started the Jaymar puzzle yesterday too.  ;) 800 Small pieces so should be a much better experience than the Springbok puzzle.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
I started the Jaymar puzzle yesterday too.  ;) 800 Small pieces so should be a much better experience than the Springbok puzzle.

That one is REALLY fun to put together!  So great to have the vintage Wacky bits to identify. 

Update:  I started the Jaymar puzzle, and am having a blast!  Doing it without the box, and I'm not sure if any pieces are missing.  After 2 hours I still need one border piece, and I've got a number of Wackys partly assembled.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:47:45 PM by RawGoo »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
That one is REALLY fun to put together!  So great to have the vintage Wacky bits to identify. 

Update:  I started the Jaymar puzzle, and am having a blast!  Doing it without the box, and I'm not sure if any pieces are missing.  After 2 hours I still need one border piece, and I've got a number of Wackys partly assembled.

The box does not have a full puzzle picture on it so it does not help much in assembling the puzzle.