Author Topic: I got excited driving past a Sonic fast food place a couple of weeks ago...  (Read 6238 times)

Offline BattleCaps

There was a sign outside reading "Wacky Packs are Here"

Did a quick internet search and found it was a kids meal with a prize inside.  Nothing to do with Wacky Packages :]

Offline MoldRush

We don’t have Sonics where I am, but I think they’ve been using that name for their version of a happy meal toy for a long time.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

We don’t have Sonics where I am, but I think they’ve been using that name for their version of a happy meal toy for a long time.

We have some Sonics here in PA, the son and I tried it 1 time, IMO The food isn't anything to write home about.

Offline HENRY.R

We have them in CA,great for deals after 2:00pm to 4:00 pm for shakes & ice cream treats, half price. here is a pic of wacky packs lol.

Offline MoldRush

I stand corrected, turns out we do have a few on Long Island NY, one not far from me at all.  Who knew?  But I’ve only lived here a little over a year, still have a lot of local geography to learn.

Offline drono

IMO The food isn't anything to write home about.

It's the gimmick of making you feel nostalgic when someone brings the food to your car so you can make a mess all over your car seats.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
It's the gimmick of making you feel nostalgic when someone brings the food to your car so you can make a mess all over your car seats.

I saw the first episode of Barnaby Jones this morning, and had to smile at the scene of him and Frank Cannon in a car with fast food trays attached to their doors.  Of course, gourmet chef Cannon wanted no part of the food.  But the trays did bring back memories of Eat 'n Park and Bob's Big Boy!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Believe it or not, we have one (Sonic drive-in) here in lowly Terre Haute, Indiana. Say what you will about the food, its one business that hasn't had to change hardly anything to continue operating in these Corona days.  Are drive-in movie theaters still around on the east coast these days? We have one locally and another within 25 miles. Seems like another business that would thrive these days. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:48:41 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Believe it or not, we have one here in lowly Terre Haute, Indiana. Say what you will about the food, its one business that hasn't had to change hardly anything to continue operating in these Corona days.  Are drive-in movie theaters still around on the east coast these days? We have one locally and another within 25 miles. Seems like another business that would thrive these days.

Which brand?  We went to both places, but I can't remember which brand was in the Pittsburgh suburbs and which was in Los Angeles.  I think maybe the Eat 'n Park was PA. 

The last of the drive in movies on Long Island closed years ago.  A restaurant owner tried screening movies in his parking lot a month or so ago, but officials made him shut down because there were no restrooms.  Anyway, all the properties in Suffolk that had drive in movie theaters have been turned into condos; don't know that there are many undeveloped pieces of land big enough now.

Offline drono

Are drive-in movie theaters still around on the east coast these days?

We had Shoney's (Big Boy) in my area, but the car hop service died out in the early '70s.  I used to love the Big Boy hamburger.

Before the lockdown, my wife and I used to take weekend roadtrips to the small towns in different parts of Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Delaware.  I've seen a few drive-in movies around.

The latest craze in my area is drive-in Sunday church services.  Some have a podium with large speakers, and some broadcast over a radio frequency.  Our church is streaming on facebook.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:26:39 AM by drono »

Offline Zenergizer

reading this just brought back a classic Flintstones tune in my head...

Here we come, on the run, with a burger and a bun
And a dab of cole slaw on the side.
Oh, your tastes we will tickle with a cold dill pickle
and all of our potatoes are French fried fried fried....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator

I've been catching some of the Flintstones episodes on MeTV, which is a fantastic channel!  That's where I saw the Barnaby Jones with the car service this morning. 

Offline drono

I've been catching some of the Flintstones episodes on MeTV, which is a fantastic channel! 

They had the episode where Fred played Santa Claus on a couple of months ago.  The original run was too early for me, so I only saw the series in re-runs.  Great stuff, and great writing.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
They had the episode where Fred played Santa Claus on a couple of months ago.  The original run was too early for me, so I only saw the series in re-runs.  Great stuff, and great writing.

Sunday evenings they show a Flintstones episode followed by a Honeymooners episode that the Flintstones episode seems to have been based on.

Offline BattleCaps

Great unexplained mystery about the Flintstones:

What happened to Dino's voice? He talked in his first appearance on the show.

Offline BattleCaps

Are drive-in movie theaters still around on the east coast these days? We have one locally and another within 25 miles. Seems like another business that would thrive these days.

I'm just outside of Baltimore and we still have one drive-in theater in the area that has been in continuous operation since the 1950's.

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

LOL!!
This one's stuck in my head forever!!:

https://youtu.be/BKSkBsnfkFA

Offline Zenergizer

another favorite! 

In fact, I had compiled a lot of my favorite cartoon theme songs, and
added some of the great songs as well from both the Flintstones
and Gilligan's Island.

I listed to it quite a bit, people think I'm nuts.

I sent a copy to my best pal, All-Brain, he can vouch for it!

Here's a bit of obscure Gilligan's Trivia for you (and don't look it up!)

The episode when the rock group, The Mosquitos, lands on the island,
the women form their own band, called The Honey Bees (i.e. "You Need Us")
They did that because the guys first tried to form their own band,
with miserable results.  What was the name of the guys' band?

Offline Lavirus

I just heard this advertised on TV and did a double-take!

https://www.sonicwackypack.com/

Offline mikecho

Here's the rest of it...

Our burgers can't be beat 'cause we grind our own meat
Grind grind grind grind grind
When you drive away, a tip upon our tray
We hope to find find find find find
We hope to find find find find fi-i-i-ind

Btw, isn't it supposed to be "and a dab of Coke on the side"?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:32:47 PM by mikecho »

Offline Zenergizer

nope, definitely sounds like "cole slaw" to me.  A dab of coke?

Maybe if it were set in the modern times, and the "coke" is not the Coca-Cola version LOL

Offline mikecho

nope, definitely sounds like "cole slaw" to me.  A dab of coke?

Maybe if it were set in the modern times, and the "coke" is not the Coca-Cola version LOL
Ha ha, good one! But seriously, it is the soft drink.

I guess I've got to hear that song again. Is there a YouTube release for that footage, too?

Speaking of YouTube, there's one thing wrong with that anniversary song from The Flintstones they did - they didn't put in all the verses!

Btw, I put in a funny bit of my own for that song when I first heard it:

Oh-h-h-h, Hap-py Anni-ver-sary,
Bon-zo is a chimp-an-zee,
Hap-py Anni-ver-sary, Ha-a-ppy Anni-ver-sary!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:40:31 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

All this talk makes me remember going to A&W Drive-thru's as a kid.  Car-hops, burgers, and a nice cold, frosty glass mug of root-beer. 

Later in the early 80s, though, that scene had a bit of a revival at a place called, "Angelo's" in Anaheim, CA.  Anyone else know the place?  Every Friday the parking lot was packed with muscle-cars and hot-rods with their hoods popped open, and all sorts of cool cars cruising up an down the street.  Carhops everywhere.  The burgers were the size of a freaking Frisbee, and a small fries came in a giant red basket that could feed an army.  We'd usually stuff our faces and then head off to a car-rally that took us all over the OC with complex crytographic directions & puzzles, sponsored by one of the car clubs.  I think the place might still be there, but last time I saw it in the early 2000s, it had turned into a regular cheap burger joint with much-smaller-than-frisbee burgers.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Every time I walk by this sign, for a brief second I am fooled.

Offline sco(o)t

Every time I walk by this sign, for a brief second I am fooled.

I tried using this service on a bunch of Die Cuts before submitting them for PSA grading to try and boost them a bit, but it was a wash.   :P

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
I tried using this service on a bunch of Die Cuts before submitting them for PSA grading to try and boost them a bit, but it was a wash.   :P

Moistly a failure?

Offline sco(o)t

Offline Swiski

Washy Packages - printed on waterproof paper

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Washy Packages - printed on waterproof paper

Ooo! I like it! Mind if I draw up a rough using that idea? - Pete

Offline Swiski

Ooo! I like it! Mind if I draw up a rough using that idea? - Pete