Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238419 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #1295 on: September 04, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »
Once again unlike you, I am short one coupon back (Players #2) and one red ludlow.  I can’t understand why we pay so much for 10 sets and have to get doubles? Topps should make sure we get one of every coupon and ludlow available in the set.

Me too. Again. Counting only the weeks that I have physically received: that's 13 weeks of buying 10 packs - almost $1900 spent with Topps... plus more spent with eBay and forum members to get missing cards. That's a lot of money I've spent.

On top of all those purchases, I have made several trades for missing cards... my God, how many cards was I missing?!?!

And, if you check the ANS trading post thread right now, you'll see that I'm still missing a few cards.

I'm an idiot. I should have bailed out long ago.  :sad:

Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:59:59 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline drono

« Reply #1296 on: September 04, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
I should have bailed out long ago.  :sad:

Those of us who bailed from the beginning thank those of you who buy enough each week to keep the series going.  Maybe if I had the $11K in take home pay I've lost since they cut my salary for COVID-19, I could've afforded to buy more.  Kudos and many thanks to those of you who could.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:14:46 PM by drono »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1297 on: September 05, 2020, 12:38:24 AM »
Well, my luck with the 10 August Week 1 sets didn't hold up - my 20 July Week 5 sets didn't include a coupon #22  >(

I also noticed two base cards (so far) that don't have the glossy front finish.  I don't usually inspect each base card, but the one in front of a set was noticeably different, and I checked the others in that snap case and found another.

« Reply #1298 on: September 05, 2020, 01:59:09 AM »

I'm an idiot. I should have bailed out long ago.  :sad:

Sorry for the rant.
[/quote]

No rant. Just the truth. Then when you add in the money for the minis I’ve spent I may have to get a 2nd mortgage.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1299 on: September 05, 2020, 03:14:03 AM »
I wish they'd make the new sets more affordable, because I really am enjoying the new titles, and want them to continue.  Axing the ludlows would be a huge help - they add no extra art or humor, like the coupons do, but they make everything more expensive.

Also, I hope they will give us a break soon so we can actually really look at them and discuss them!   

If they continue this way into October, when there will hopefully be a Halloween set, and later, when there should hopefully be an Old School set, something will HAVE to give.  For me, as much as I have been trying to support these, I'll likely have to drop down to two Weekly sets (I like to put the assembled puzzles in pages) and give up on the inserts.

Please note - I say this, not to be a "Negative Nellie," but in the hope that Topps might listen and realize that a reduction in Weekly set sales isn't due to a lack of willing Wacky customers, just the fact that their customers do not have unlimited disposable incomes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:27:46 AM by RawGoo »

Offline drono

« Reply #1300 on: September 05, 2020, 04:48:12 AM »
I wish they'd make the new sets more affordable, because I really am enjoying the new titles, and want them to continue.  Axing the ludlows would be a huge help - they add no extra art or humor, like the coupons do, but they make everything more expensive.

Please note - I say this, not to be a "Negative Nellie," but in the hope that Topps might listen and realize that a reduction in Weekly set sales isn't due to a lack of willing Wacky customers, just the fact that their customers do not have unlimited disposable incomes.

I agree completely, so I certainly don't see your comment as coming from a "Negative Nellie."  I have no interest in the ludlows either.  What would make more sense to me personally would be to offer the base set for $10, the coupon set for $25, the guest artist for $5, and the initials or wonky for $10 = $50 total.  If the sales dropped to 200, they would still make $10K, which is more than the 688 * 15 (minus 10% discount on 600 sets?) = $9,420 they made from the last print run.  Also they'd only have to print 200 * 12 = 2400 stickers instead of 688 * 7 = 4816, saving printing costs (which I doubt are very much anyway).  Then instead of 688 base sets, there would only be 200, and the dealers may buy more since they'd be rare again (read next paragraph).  For me, I've been buying the one set each week at $15 and trying to find the 4-5 coupons I didn't get for $5 each ($20-25), and then the guest artist, wonky, or initials I didn't get for about $5-7 each ($10-15), so I'd break even.  I've had pretty good luck with that strategy, but I still need 9 coupons (not counting July week 5 and August week 1) and three May wonkys.  I'm not willing to pay $50+ each to get those three, so I probably never will.  So my thank you a few posts earlier to those who purchase multiple sets and make the coupons, wonkys, and initials available, was sincere.  You truly are keeping the project going.

What I can't seem to understand is what is happening with all the base sets.  The lowest sales total was 688, so that's 688 base sets compared to maybe 120 complete coupon and ludlow sets.  I really doubt there are 688 people who are interested in buying a set; I'd place it much closer to the 120, so a lot of multiple sets are being purchased as evidenced from the discussion here.  I think the real reason we've seen a steady drop in sales is the dealers have realized they can't recoup their money, so they've slowly dropped out.  I see the same stagnant listings on eBay, so the product doesn't appear to be moving in the secondary market.  I just think it's such a waste of base stickers that could be prevented from a better sales strategy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:51:35 AM by drono »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1301 on: September 05, 2020, 04:55:00 AM »
My rant is clearly directed at the buying experience, not the Wackys themselves. In fact, I have been completely thrilled with these cards. Great art, great gags, guest artists, Wonkys... I have been LOVING these releases. They have truly brought a lot of Wacky joy into my life.

I worry that the artists, or Topps, might read these complaints and think, "No matter what we release, these people complain about everything! Why even bother?". And I really really don't want THAT.

After spending $2000 on newly released cards, I shouldn't be missing ANYTHING. Right? I'm not crazy for thinking this way, am I?

The buying experience needs fixing. That's all. Keep them Wackys coming!  :D
Brian Mc

Offline drono

« Reply #1302 on: September 05, 2020, 05:02:02 AM »
My rant is clearly directed at the buying experience, not the Wackys themselves. In fact, I have been completely thrilled with these cards. Great art, great gags, guest artists, Wonkys... I have been LOVING these releases. They have truly brought a lot of Wacky joy into my life.

True!  It's great to have a new set of Wackys each week.  It gives me something to look forward to.  I feel for other forum members who are spending so much and not getting what would really satisfy them, a complete set for a reasonable price.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1303 on: September 05, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »

I worry that the artists, or Topps, might read these complaints and think, "No matter what we release, these people complain about everything! Why even bother?". And I really really don't want THAT.

After spending $2000 on newly released cards, I shouldn't be missing ANYTHING. Right? I'm not crazy for thinking this way, am I?

The buying experience needs fixing. That's all. Keep them Wackys coming!  :D

That's basically what I was saying.  I DO want the new Wacky titles to keep coming!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1304 on: September 05, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
I also noticed two base cards (so far) that don't have the glossy front finish.  I don't usually inspect each base card, but the one in front of a set was noticeably different, and I checked the others in that snap case and found another.
Also had a perfect collation of coupons/luds in my August week 1

and similarly pulled three cards with a matte front - two base cards (2, 3) and one ludlow (5), all from different snap cases

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #1305 on: September 05, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
I forwarded the issues to Topps AND I just sent over copies of the conversation going on today to show that there are some growing problems. I also made a number of suggestions to fix the weekly sets and also for some changes to Old School which I'm going to discuss and ask opinions about in an Old School 9 thread.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1306 on: September 05, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »
Also had a perfect collation of coupons/luds in my August week 1

and similarly pulled three cards with a matte front - two base cards (2, 3) and one ludlow (5), all from different snap cases

Your matte cards are August Week 1, and mine were July Week 5.  Looks like I have some more cards to check over!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1307 on: September 05, 2020, 05:14:42 PM »
I forwarded the issues to Topps AND I just sent over copies of the conversation going on today to show that there are some growing problems. I also made a number of suggestions to fix the weekly sets and also for some changes to Old School which I'm going to discuss and ask opinions about in an Old School 9 thread.

Much appreciated!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #1308 on: September 05, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »

Thank you David. We all appreciate your support and dedication to these cards. This has been an amazing year for Wackies, thanks to you and the other artists involved.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #1309 on: September 06, 2020, 05:46:31 AM »
  I also got a complete set of ludlows and coupons in my August Week 1 order...first time!

It feels good that for at least one week I don't have to scramble to try to find any missing cards. I've had good trading experiences with people on the forum and of course, RawGoo has been a savior in this regard so for this I am grateful.

For the most part, I am loving the cards. The quality of the ones in September are just as good (if not better) than the ones in May. I have to admit, I've been spending WAY more money than I should on these but I'd like to show my support to Topps for producing a GOOD product and for keeping wackys alive.

I too would be thrilled that you could be guaranteed a complete set when you purchase 10 packs.

The only other thing that bothers me is all the excess base sets that everybody has now that nobody wants. I hate waste and thought maybe in the future Topps could maybe have a pack with equal amounts of base and bonus cards (5 base, 4 chase, 1 wonky/artist). Charge more for a pack, but maybe make a person only have to buy 5 to potentially get all the chase cards. 

I know a part of business is trying to convince (or entice) people to purchase something they don't really want or need, but I think a factor you have to think about now is the secondary market. You want to create some constant demand for a sold out product to give people incentive to purchase more of your upcoming releases.   The base sets as they are now are probably nothing more than cannon fodder.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1310 on: September 06, 2020, 06:03:05 AM »
I have been able to sell all of my extra base sets. I put them together and build a "monthly set" and sell them that way. Of course, I'm selling them for half the price I bought them for 🥴..... but, they are sold! 😁
Brian Mc

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #1311 on: September 06, 2020, 06:18:54 AM »
I have been able to sell all of my extra base sets. I put them together and build a "monthly set" and sell them that way. Of course, I'm selling them for half the price I bought them for 🥴..... but, they are sold! 😁

Good for you!

I'm not that quick. I haven't even sorted through my cards yet to make sure I have everything.

By the time I get around to trying to sell them, the market will be saturated LOL

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1312 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:30 AM »
The last set I received had #20 - Caprison as the last base card,

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1313 on: September 06, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
Just got my shipment of August week 1, I was suprised by a Sunday FedEx delivery honestly.

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: September 06, 2020, 09:44:33 AM »
Just got my shipment of August week 1, I was suprised by a Sunday FedEx delivery honestly.
yes, Sunday Fedex is the best.
I've now had ~4 sets delivered on Sunday. Great day to get them

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1315 on: September 07, 2020, 08:59:34 AM »

The only other thing that bothers me is all the excess base sets that everybody has now that nobody wants.
I have not been buying any of the weekly product from Topps because I’m not much of a chase card collector and can’t see dropping $15 for what is to me essentially a 5-card “series”, but I am open to taking some of the base set excess off members’ hands if the price is right.  My initial idea was to cherrypick favorite singles only from eBay, but I’m not seeing much volume there.  If I understand the collation correctly every pack contains all 5 base cards so I imagine sellers would want to move their excess the same way and not by individual titles, which is fine.  I’m mainly interested in the more recent weeks but based on all the shipping delay discussion I’m guessing I will have to wait until November to talk about September lol.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #1316 on: September 07, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
I have not been buying any of the weekly product from Topps because I’m not much of a chase card collector and can’t see dropping $15 for what is to me essentially a 5-card “series”, but I am open to taking some of the base set excess off members’ hands if the price is right.  My initial idea was to cherrypick favorite singles only from eBay, but I’m not seeing much volume there.  If I understand the collation correctly every pack contains all 5 base cards so I imagine sellers would want to move their excess the same way and not by individual titles, which is fine.  I’m mainly interested in the more recent weeks but based on all the shipping delay discussion I’m guessing I will have to wait until November to talk about September lol.

Pat has enough base cards for this series to supply a small country with cards; so you should message her with your needs.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1317 on: September 07, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Pat has enough base cards for this series to supply a small country with cards; so you should message her with your needs.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1318 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
Pat has enough base cards for this series to supply a small country with cards
I believe the country is Wackystan.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1319 on: September 07, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »
HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA

• Administrator
« Reply #1320 on: September 08, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »
We’re in another five Wednesday month with September. I wonder what week 5 will bring this time?

Offline quas

« Reply #1321 on: September 08, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
We’re in another five Wednesday month with September. I wonder what week 5 will bring this time?

Delivery by Christmas.
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1322 on: September 08, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

« Reply #1323 on: September 08, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »
Well, my luck with the 10 August Week 1 sets didn't hold up - my 20 July Week 5 sets didn't include a coupon #22  >(

I am missing #21 and #22 coupon backs for July week 5. I got 3 coupons out of 5 that were the same. What rot!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1324 on: September 08, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
I am missing #21 and #22 coupon backs for July week 5. I got 3 coupons out of 5 that were the same. What rot!

July Week 5 was a train wreck........but, my last extra coupon back is a #21.  So, PM on the way.

« Reply #1325 on: September 08, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
July Week 5 was a train wreck........but, my last extra coupon back is a #21.  So, PM on the way.

PM sent

• Administrator
« Reply #1326 on: September 08, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
Got my week 5 today, and had a first - one of the cases with a Wonky didn’t have a ludlow, just a duplicate of the regular #23
Got screwed out of a chase card, not sure if there’s any recourse for this

This pack also had my only matte version cards

• Administrator
« Reply #1327 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:09 AM »

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #1328 on: September 09, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »
Another little groupling of Wackys released, unfortunately Paul Harris' WIDE guest art wasnt showcased. I wish it was.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #1329 on: September 09, 2020, 10:21:28 AM »