Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238509 times)

Offline drono

Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:31 AM »
Guess I'm stupid, but I was trying to be optimistic and support new Wackys, and help forum friends.

No, that was not the intention of what I said.  What you do by buying and helping out forum members is a great thing.  You've helped me in the past with other sets that I didn't invest in heavily, and I truly appreciate it. 

Working in the hospitality industry, which has been hit hard by the pandemic, I don't have the disposable cash to buy a lot of these, so I gave up early.  It's a shame that Topps is preventing 45+ year Wacky Package collectors from being able to buy an entire set.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
Nowhere has it been stated that with the new arrangement Wonkys will be "Easier" to get. I think they will remain short-printed.  I think most packs will contain a Artist Guest Card. Time will tell.

Ugh.... your optimism is so inviting.  Of course, who knows if they start off with the same amount of Artist cards
and Wonky cards, but why would you think that Topps would print more of one and less of the other? 

It's the same as flipping a coin 10 times.  The "odds" are the same of getting all heads, or all tails, or 5 heads and 5 tails.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
No, that was not the intention of what I said.  What you do by buying and helping out forum members is a great thing.  You've helped me in the past with other sets that I didn't invest in heavily, and I truly appreciate it. 

Working in the hospitality industry, which has been hit hard by the pandemic, I don't have the disposable cash to buy a lot of these, so I gave up early.  It's a shame that Topps is preventing 45+ year Wacky Package collectors from being able to buy an entire set.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.  I enjoy helping forum friends, but it is getting pretty hard lately.

I hope the hospitality industry, and everything else, can recover this year.  I'm worried about some long established restaurants here.  Was just watching the first episode of Laverne & Shirley, and the "High Hopes" song was well timed.

Offline drono

« Reply #458 on: June 07, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
It's the same as flipping a coin 10 times.  The "odds" are the same of getting all heads, or all tails, or 5 heads and 5 tails.

I know what you were trying to express, but what you wrote is not true.  The exact order of the flips of 10 coins has the same odds for each pattern, but getting 5 heads and 5 tails in any order has 252 more combinations than getting all of one or all of the other.

Flipping a coin 10 times with an equal distribution of results provides these combinations:
All heads or all tails = 1 combination each
1 head, 9 tails or 9 heads, 1 tail = 10 each
2 heads, 8 tails or 8 heads, 2 tails = 45 each
3 heads, 7 tails or 7 heads, 3 tails = 120 each
4 heads, 6 tails or 6 tails, 4 heads = 210 each
5 heads, 5 tails = 252

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.  I enjoy helping forum friends, but it is getting pretty hard lately.

I understand.  With the money you've spent on week 2, continuing and not being able to recoup, you could save your money and buy that Ratz.

I hope the hospitality industry, and everything else, can recover this year.

Me too!  Because my company borrowed money from the Government's Stimulus, we have to meet certain rules to be absolved of paying back the loan.  In order to do that, they slashed salaries, got rid of bonuses, paid holidays, and PTO accrual until we can get back to 75% of last year for two straight months and projected to do so for a third.  Being the numbers person that I am, I was looking at just this past week.  Since we just opened a new hotel, I worked 44 hours, should have gotten 3 hours of PTO and 6 hours of bonus, but the pay I'll receive is only worth 28 hours at my old salary.  So in essence, I donated 25 hours or over 3 days of time in one week.  And that's been the case every week since April 20th.  Needless to say, it's hard to keep morale high when you're working for free, the weather is beautiful, and you could be buying enough weekly packs to get all the coupon backs, Wonkys, and now artist cards.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:05:37 PM by drono »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
Me too!  Because my company borrowed money from the Government's Stimulus, we have to meet certain rules to be absolved of paying back the loan.  In order to do that, they slashed salaries, got rid of bonuses, paid holidays, and PTO accrual until we can get back to 75% of last year for two straight months and projected to do so for a third.  Being the numbers person that I am, I was looking at just this past week.  Since we just opened a new hotel, I worked 44 hours, should have gotten 3 hours of PTO and 6 hours of bonus, but the pay I'll receive is only worth 28 hours at my old salary.  So in essence, I donated 25 hours or over 3 days of time in one week.  And that's been the case every week since April 20th.  Needless to say, it's hard to keep morale high when you're working for free, the weather is beautiful, and you could be buying enough weekly packs to get all the coupon backs, Wonkys, and now artist cards.

What's strange for me is that I have been working for free from home for years (I tend to be awake at 2am), and now, I'm getting paid to work from home. 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »
I absolutely agree that the percentage of the possible combinations is what you wrote.  I wasn't referring to the combinations and "probability", I was strictly stating the "odds", that's all.  Big difference.  What the combinations are likely to be, a whole different ball game, that's "probability".

And I'm sure our Math discussion has put any remaining viewers of this topic right to sleep.... zzzzzzzz

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »
FYI.  Week 1:   20 sets:  4 Baby Runts.    Week 2:  20 sets:  1 Crumbs.   Not sure what to make of it.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
but why would you think that Topps would print more of one and less of the other? 

Because they may intentionally short print the Wonkys in the hopes of getting us to buy more packs each week in the hopes of scoring one.  The same reason Band Ache was short printed in the Series one in 1973.  To Sell More Cards.........

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »
I absolutely agree that the percentage of the possible combinations is what you wrote.  I wasn't referring to the combinations and "probability", I was strictly stating the "odds", that's all.  Big difference.  What the combinations are likely to be, a whole different ball game, that's "probability".

And I'm sure our Math discussion has put any remaining viewers of this topic right to sleep.... zzzzzzzz

My 16 year old's favorite topics of discussion (when I get to spend time with him) are geography, math, and evolution. Yesterday, while we drove to a nearby lake to do some hiking, we talked for a few minutes about the difference between combinations and permutations. And how many ways a deck of cards can be arranged. Hard to imagine 52 factorial.

sorry - I live alone and am suffering from a lack of human connection, so I might become the forum troll with random blurtings   

Offline quas

« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
FYI.  Week 1:   20 sets:  4 Baby Runts.    Week 2:  20 sets:  1 Crumbs.   Not sure what to make of it.

Topps doesn't know how to randomize.
Marc

Offline quas

« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »

Not at all.  Many people don't realize that the most likely outcome of 10 coin tosses is not 5 and 5 but rather 6 and 4 (one way or the other).  I wrote this little book in the late 1990s but had to self-publish:

http://bookstore.dorrancepublishing.com/your-intuition-is-wrong/

Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #466 on: June 08, 2020, 10:46:05 AM »
Received my two packs of week two cards today. Both packs had a Ludlow visible in the bottom of the pack. No Wonky.

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:16:33 PM by DrDeal »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #467 on: June 08, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »
Week 2 the same as week 1 for me. Three ludlows and 3 coupons but two of the packs were identical so only 2 different coupons and 2 different ludlows. Ludlow backs visible on the bottom.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »
I received my three Week 1 sets and three Week 2 sets today.

Didn't fare too badly.

Week 1:    3 Ludlows, 2 Coupons, 1 Wonky
Week 2:    3 Ludlows, 3 Coupons

Would have preferred getting the Week 2 Wonky, but at least no doubles.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »
I've gotten one set each week with the usual collation, no Wonkys.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
Don't care for the Wonkys personally, but the last few weeks of new stickers have been getting better and better. Keep 'em coming.  :great:

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #471 on: June 09, 2020, 12:37:19 AM »
Week 2 - 4 packs - 3 different ludlows, 4 ad backs - no Wonkys!!!
This seems to be a tough one....
Anyone interested in Ludlow or adback trades?
A

Offline Swiski

« Reply #472 on: June 09, 2020, 04:04:14 AM »
From what I'm reading here, the Crumbs wonky was most likely produced in fewer numbers than the Baby Rant. Would love to hear the exact numbers at some time.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator

Offline mikecho

« Reply #474 on: June 09, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »
Sneak peek at June Week 2

https://i.postimg.cc/B6V8tPcT/00-FB9-D52-C87-C-494-D-8612-A92-CE1425-C43.jpg
Patrick,

I was doing some looking and found out that the Wacky you're showing here was originally submitted for ANS6 - same look and everything! (Go to lostwackys.com and click on the "Lost Wackys" section.)

And I also saw in the same section that Magic Meat Ball has an earlier version, too - Magic Hate Ball, originally submitted for ANS5. This one, however, was done by David Gross, not Paul Harris, so I don't know if it counts here for the Spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:30:34 PM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »
Patrick,

I was doing some looking and found out that the Wacky you're showing here was originally submitted for ANS6 - same look and everything! (Go to lostwackys.com and click on the "Lost Wackys" section.)

And I also saw in the same section that Magic Meat Ball has an earlier version, too - Magic Hate Ball, originally submitted for ANS5. This one, however, was done by David Gross, not Paul Harris, so I don't know if it counts here.

You're correct! Wagu has layed dormant since ANS6! I've done about 600 concepts over the years and every now an then, I like to go back and see if there's any I'd like to revisit.

Offline drono

« Reply #476 on: June 09, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
My one week 2 pack produced one ludlow #9 and one coupon #6, which was on the bottom

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #477 on: June 09, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
My Week 2 pack was 1 coupon and one ludlow

#KickstarterNextTime

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #478 on: June 09, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
My single week two set also had a coupon and Ludlow as expected, but my single week one set landed me a Wonky. Call it sheer luck which will never happen again...for the May sets anyways.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:51:04 PM by Swiski »

• Administrator
« Reply #479 on: June 09, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Just got a fedex notification for my week 3 wackys.
Expect I'll get them Saturday or Sunday again.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #480 on: June 09, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
Just got a fedex notification for my week 3 wackys.
Expect I'll get them Saturday or Sunday again.
I always thought there's no mail delivery on Sunday.

• Administrator
« Reply #481 on: June 09, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
I always thought there's no mail delivery on Sunday.
this is fedex.
Residential Delivery service covers the whole weekend, including Sundays, around most large cities
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/7-day-delivery.html#delivery-area

for the most part USPS does not deliver on Sunday, although I have seen them deliver priority packages from time to time

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #482 on: June 09, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
Just received my notice as well. So looks like shipping is running about 3 weeks behind. Just nice to have the sets rolling in.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »
this is fedex.
Residential Delivery service covers the whole weekend, including Sundays, around most large cities
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/7-day-delivery.html#delivery-area

for the most part USPS does not deliver on Sunday, although I have seen them deliver priority packages from time to time
Okay, thanks for the information.

Offline drono

« Reply #484 on: June 09, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
I just got my first notice that it will be shipped tonight.  They're using USPS for me, so I'll probably get it Monday.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #485 on: June 09, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
Just received my shipping notice for week 3 as well.

It's fun getting a new package to open every week   :D

• Administrator
« Reply #486 on: June 10, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
June Week 2 is up

Guest artist this week is Chad Scheres - with Old Lice

https://www.topps.com/2020-topps-wacky-packages-weekly-series-june-week-2.html

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #487 on: June 10, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
Glad I could contribute! Hope you all like it!!

Offline quas

« Reply #488 on: June 10, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
June Week 2 is up

Guest artist this week is Chad Scheres - with Old Lice

https://www.topps.com/2020-topps-wacky-packages-weekly-series-june-week-2.html

I've never used it, but I see that Topps apparently removed the option to buy 10 packs for $120.
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: June 10, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
I've never used it, but I see that Topps apparently removed the option to buy 10 packs for $120.
It’s still there, just need another page refresh,
they added it later, (as with the checklist card), and sometimes requires several refreshes for new things to show up

anything