Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238426 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
I look at the Wonkys the same way I look at those bootleg Wacky Variations sets on ebay with the classic pin-up girls replacing the goofy characters. (would you believe there are nine sets of those already?!) They are reworkings on existing parodies, not brand new parodies. So because I don't look at them as brand new titles, I won't lose sleep if I don't have them in my collection. I have the 4 from the comic books a few years back, and I'll be thrilled to get one inside one of the weekly sets I buy. I have a random sampling of what they are in my binder. So to me, It's kind of like buying lottery tickets every week, hoping to win big....in this case, a Wonky. Getting back to those Wacky Variations with pin-up girls....why isn't Topps lawyers on their ass, let alone the estates of illustrators like Gil Elvgren?

I consider the Wonkys to be new "Wackys" of old Wackys.  And they are Topps issued, not bootleg.  I also really like the coupon backs.  Sadly, it seems that I'll have to either go broke or stop trying to collect them all.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
I guess what I'm saying here is that I like the Wonkys, would really like to have them in my collection, but now find out I can't afford them, which just sucks!  I would have gladly paid $20 - $25 for a set of six cards if the Wonkys were included.  That's an extra $10 just for the one Wonky card.  IMO a bit of a high price, but at least I would have been satisfied.

Again, why did Topps make it impossible to collect a set of titles?  At least when I put up the money for an Old School set, I get - guess what? - the entire set.  This is the way it should be.  Or when the April Fool's postcard sets came out, at least I had the option of buying the more expensive set to get all of the cards I wanted.  This time around there's no option.  I could buy 20 sets, and there's still no guarantee I would score a Wonky.

All in all, collecting Wackys should be fun.  It shouldn't go hand-in-hand with the experience of dissatisfaction.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #317 on: May 30, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
Sadly, it seems that I'll have to either go broke or stop trying to collect them all.

See?  This is what I'm on about.  Why should we have to be sad or stop collecting?

This didn't have to be the case.  There were other ways that this series could have been offered.

Offline drono

« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
I could buy 20 sets, and there's still no guarantee I would score a Wonky.

I agree with you there, but I guess as a kid you could've bought countless 1st series Original Series packs and never gotten a Band Ache, all be it at just 5 cents a pack.  I never had a lot of money to buy more than 10 packs or so at a time growing up, so I can only relate to never getting a 4th series Windhex.

All in all, collecting Wackys should be fun.  It shouldn't go hand-in-hand with the experience of dissatisfaction.

I couldn't agree more that collecting Wackys should be fun, and that's why I've stopped going after the really expensive bonus cards, even on eBay.  I used to buy a few of them thinking that I could resell them in 30 years and retire.  Well 30 years is here, and now that I've had time to go through all of my collections, I'm getting rid of most of those late 1980s and early 1990s investments I made in baseball, football, basketball, racing, and hockey cards.  I'm only keeping the cards I collected as a kid and a few that are special.  I'm hoping to get back maybe 50-75% of what I paid.  BTW, are any of you forum members just itching to buy any of those?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
I look at the Wonkys the same way I look at those bootleg Wacky Variations sets on ebay with the classic pin-up girls replacing the goofy characters. (would you believe there are nine sets of those already?!) They are reworkings on existing parodies, not brand new parodies. So because I don't look at them as brand new titles, I won't lose sleep if I don't have them in my collection. I have the 4 from the comic books a few years back, and I'll be thrilled to get one inside one of the weekly sets I buy. I have a random sampling of what they are in my binder. So to me, It's kind of like buying lottery tickets every week, hoping to win big....in this case, a Wonky. Getting back to those Wacky Variations with pin-up girls....why isn't Topps lawyers on their ass, let alone the estates of illustrators like Gil Elvgren?

I am aligned with this sentiment. Buy the pack each week, get the five NEW Wackys and maybe score a reworked Wonky title. After a year you will have a few Wonky's. I too am glad I have the four Wonky's previously released : but they are not that cool IMO. They come across as a weak attempt to rework a card I know and love. The RunTiny Shells Wonky comes to mind.  The Gag is good, but the Fly Swatter kills the card. It's just half as cool as Run Tony was.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »
... but they are not that cool IMO. They come across as a weak attempt to rework a card I know and love. The RunTiny Shells Wonky comes to mind.  The Gag is good, but the Fly Swatter kills the card. It's just half as cool as Run Tony was.

I agree with this.  The first four Wonkys somehow came across as a weak attempt.

This time around, though, it's almost as if the Wonkys are not weak reworkings, but somehow, in a sense, more Old School.  Or like Pat said, "I consider the Wonkys to be new "Wackys" of old Wackys."  I don't see anything weak about the new Wonkys and consider them to be just as good as the other cards in the base sets.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »
Every new online Wacky series that Topps produces whether it's poor collation or problems with seeding of inserts brings to mind the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice,  shame on me."  No matter what the issue, we keep on buying...

Online mikecho

« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »
Every new online Wacky series that Topps produces whether it's poor collation or problems with seeding of inserts brings to mind the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice,  shame on me."  No matter what the issue, we keep on buying...
Actually, the full old saying is "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, shame on both of us."

Stephen King said this in his book On Writing, I think.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »
Not only is that not the full saying but your citation is 350 years too late. 

The earliest recording of this proverb in print is from a book called The Court and Character of King James by Anthony Weldon in 1651, where it reads: "The Italians having a Proverb, ‘He that deceives me once, its his fault; but if twice, its my fault.'” 

As Confucius said "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.”

Offline drono

« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »

Confucius also said, "man who stand on toilet, high on pot."

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
Confucius also said, "man who stand on toilet, high on pot."
Didn't he also say:  "He who lives in glass house, changes clothes in the basement" ?

:P
Brian Mc

Online mikecho

« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »
Not only is that not the full saying but your citation is 350 years too late. 

The earliest recording of this proverb in print is from a book called The Court and Character of King James by Anthony Weldon in 1651, where it reads: "The Italians having a Proverb, ‘He that deceives me once, its his fault; but if twice, its my fault.'” 

Thanks for telling me; I didn't know that.

It's good to learn something new.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:14:28 PM by mikecho »

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2020, 02:09:57 AM »
Often wrongly attributed to either Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain, but actually first appearing in print in 1907 by Maurice Switzer, here's another valuable aphorism...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."   :-X

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2020, 02:40:42 AM »
No matter what the issue, we keep on buying...

I think we keep on buying because most of us remember the time when ZERO Wackys were produced by Topps and we never had new cards to buy.
Its still great to see new Wackies made in 2020 by Artists that grew up with them and strive to produce art and humor that carries on what the founders started.
A flawed marketing approach is sometimes better than no marketing approach. They want to ensure they get a decent ROI on their efforts so they soak us for chase cards. At least you can get the five new titles with a chance for a rare chase Wonky for $16 per week  OR you can just buy the five cards on Ebay for $10
shipped is my prediction. So if you don't need all the Wonky's and Ludlows/ Coupon backs, you can get your 20 cards per month for around $40. At least they did not go the digital route with Wacky's yet. I just saw a chase Digital Gold GPK sell for over $700.  Topps: Keep that in the GPK area please.  Thanks for the Wackys!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:12:33 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2020, 05:51:03 AM »
I see a full Master Set of the 16 cards up this morning eBay auction: #174301148123, they’re asking $149 or B.O.
Too high, too low, just right?

Offline drono

« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2020, 06:25:06 AM »
I see a full Master Set of the 16 cards up this morning eBay auction: #174301148123, they’re asking $149 or B.O.

Interesting.  And the fun begins...

That seller looks like he buys a lot from Topps and resells.  He has a lot of Project 2020 listings that start with the phrase "I DON'T CANCEL! 10K FB."  I wonder if Topps is baffling the other resellers with their marketing strategy. 

I really don't understand the Project 2020 phenomenon.  The most popular ones look like my six year old grandson drew them, and he's no artist:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184308354188

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »
That’s the saddest excuse for a baseball card I’ve ever seen.

Offline drono

« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2020, 06:59:42 AM »

Topps offers a price break at 10 sets for $135, so around $140-145 after taxes.  Out of every 10 sets, you get 20 chase cards.  If you're lucky, then you could get a complete set of ludlow and coupon backs along with a Wonky.  So that would give you one master set, 9 base sets, and 9 extra chase cards - almost another complete set.  If you sold the 9 base sets for $10 each, you'd only need to get back $50-55 to break even for the master set.  I really doubt the base sets are going to fly off the shelves, so you'll probably only sell two or three, leaving $110-115 to break even.  No one buys and resells to break even, they typically would like to at least double their money.  Under that scenario, $150 seems reasonable for a reseller. 

My guess is that the seller bought many multiples of 10 since each one almost produces another master set.  If s/he bought 10 x 10, then I'm guessing that would produce about 17 master sets, 83 base sets, and 13 extra chase cards that don't make any complete sets.  S/he'll probably only be able to sell 10-15 base sets at $10 each, and the extra 13 might sell for $10-15 each for the coupons and ludlows, with the Wonkys probably getting $20.  On the low end, that's $100 + $120 + $20 based on one extra Wonky.  So to double the investment of $1,400, that leaves about $150 each for the master sets, right where the seller listed it. 

Given that it's the first one up, I think it's a bargain if you're looking for a master set.  If this goes on for 52 weeks, it's going to cost upwards of $7500 to get a complete master set.

I guess we'll see just how crazy it gets.  My guess is that the early master sets and individual chase cards will be really cheap in a year.

The real shame in my eyes is that 70 or so out of 100 of these base sets bought by resellers might end up being clothes pinned to the spokes of their six year olds' bicycles to sound like a motorcycle.  What a sad way for a Wacky Package to die.  Hopefully they can be given away to the neighborhood kids, like giving away free crack, to get the next generation hooked.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:21:40 AM by drono »

Offline drono

« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
Did anyone click on the red bar across the screen of the Topps.com web site to learn more about shipping delays?

Topps.com Shipping Delays
During the current circumstances surrounding Covid-19, our primary concern is the health and safety of our employees and all employees who work throughout our supply chain. While we and our partners are continuing to keep production active in accordance with government health and safety guidance and directives, employee well-being is most important and as a result, we and our partners have experienced, and may continue to experience, certain supply chain issues. At the moment, we do not have further estimates as to when certain products will be available but we will communicate further information as we have it. Thank you for supporting Topps and our partners and please stay safe and healthy.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2020, 07:23:41 AM »
Got mine yesterday as well......

I tend to agree with both sides of the feedback........

I will only be going after a master BASE set at this point..... WAY too much WackyLoot to try to get a COMPLETE SET......

No Wonky Here... :-(

Let the Trading begin.....

P.S...... I GUESS it is time to start to create a binder to hold these, as they also forgot one of those.... AGAIN...

#KickstarterReallyWorksTopps

Richard
#StayWacky

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »
Topps offers a price break at 10 sets for $120, so around $125-130 after taxes. 
A bit more expensive actually, as that’s $120 in addition to the initial $15, so it’s $135 for a bulk buy. (plus taxes)
Topps has been listing bulk price this way for awhile, and I wonder if it’s done to intentionally make it look like the savings is bigger. A price break of just 10% vs a misleading 20%.

Offline drono

« Reply #336 on: May 31, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »
A bit more expensive actually, as that’s $120 in addition to the initial $15, so it’s $135 for a bulk buy. (plus taxes)
Topps has been listing bulk price this way for awhile, and I wonder if it’s done to intentionally make it look like the savings is bigger. A price break of just 10% vs a misleading 20%.

I didn't realize that.  I've never bought 10 before.  I've adjusted my post above for this new knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:20:53 AM by drono »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »
Got mine yesterday as well......

I tend to agree with both sides of the feedback........

I will only be going after a master BASE set at this point..... WAY too much WackyLoot to try to get a COMPLETE SET......

No Wonky Here... :-(

Let the Trading begin.....

It will be interesting to see if Wonky's are random OR if they only show up when you order 10 or more sets. i have two packs coming on Mon. Not thinking a Wonky is likely.

P.S...... I GUESS it is time to start to create a binder to hold these, as they also forgot one of those.... AGAIN...

#KickstarterReallyWorksTopps

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »
Topps offers a price break at 10 sets for $135, so around $140-145 after taxes.  Out of every 10 sets, you get 20 chase cards.  If you're lucky, then you could get a complete set of ludlow and coupon backs along with a Wonky. 
Am I missing something (again) or wouldn't you need 40 different chase cards to get a master (20 coupon/20 luds)? I thought a base set will have 20 cards...

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
Am I missing something (again) or wouldn't you need 40 different chase cards to get a master (20 coupon/20 luds)? I thought a base set will have 20 cards...
He was referring to buying a bulk of 10 for a single week, not for  the whole month of cards.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: May 31, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Anyone else still waiting for a shipping notice?

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
Received my 10 sets today.
Still a shock to see fedex Sunday home delivery!
Had fun pulling open the bubble wraps, popping the cases and checking the bonus cards.
I think I got lucky, as I did get 2 Wonky cards, so that was a great surprise

Offline drono

« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
There's another master set up for just $99.95 + $5 S&H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264749094562

This same seller also has 3 unopened packs for $84.99 + $3.95
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264749127638

a base set for $17.95 with free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264746956285

and a 2nd series base set for $19.95 with free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254613229506

I think those last three will be hard to sell at those prices when others show up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:04:50 PM by drono »

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »
and the first Master seller has sold their first one for a Best Offer and listed a second at $99.

Those base sets may not move, as there are others for less.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:31:41 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »

I don't recall getting a shipping notice.  Wasn't too concerned about it at first, but I'm starting to get concerned.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:55 PM »

Still waiting for mine for the first week sets.

Ordered on the last day they were available.  Still says "Processing"

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »
The stickers for week 4 look really good to me.  Ordered a set!  :great: :great:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »
He was referring to buying a bulk of 10 for a single week, not for  the whole month of cards.
Not long after I posted, this dawned on me.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »
There's another master set up for just $99.95 + $5 S&H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264749094562

This same seller also has 3 unopened packs for $84.99 + $3.95
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264749127638

a base set for $17.95 with free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264746956285

and a 2nd series base set for $19.95 with free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254613229506

I think those last three will be hard to sell at those prices when others show up.

Ha! Those so-called unopened sets are a joke. It's easy to open up the envelope and peek inside the acrylic box to see what cards are inside.

Yeah, base sets are going to come down as weeks progress. Any predictions? I'm thinking we will see $10 shipped eventually.

Still no in-hand Wonky Packages Baby Runts for sale. Looking forward to see the price those will sell for alone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:15:57 PM by Swiski »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »
Got this reply from the seller with the Week One Master Set regarding how many packs he purchased and how many Wonky's:

"20 packs. 4 Baby Ruth. Could only make 2 complete 16 card sets."

So that's pretty good odds. 1 Wonky per 5 packs. Let's hope that continues.