Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238328 times)

Offline FourRoses

Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2020, 07:25:27 AM »
I am torn by your reaction to some of these criticisms. On the one hand, it's wise to give customers what they want. On the other hand, Wacky Packages have always been a creative effort, and I am loathe to edit or direct an artist, especially one that I have always enjoyed. While it's true that I'm not a fan of certain kinds of Wackys, I'm still game for this set as designed.  There are always hits and misses in any set, depending on personal preference, and you're never going to please everyone. For me, the only line in the sand is the political stuff. Otherwise, have at it and let your creative imagination run wild!

IMO I'd say the few people angered over snots is in the minority considering the number of sets purchased. Really though, we all can find previous sets with numerous gags we don't find funny or appealing but we don't call it quits. Sometimes we all need a temporary break from hobbies.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
As someone mentioned to me earlier today (LOL), Wackys need to evolve, times have changed.  What worked back in the 70's may not necessarily work here in 2020.  Don't mean to be harsh, I remember some of the same sentiments were expressed when the ANS series came out,

And if you look at that zoomed-in snot on the top corner of that title, you can see how well done the artwork is, you have to appreciate the talent and artistry that goes into these.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
  I'm very happy with the Week 2 cards and especially like the WP2 Wonky.

I just hope the odds of getting a Wonky is higher than for a Ludlow. I'm guessing there will be one coupon bonus card in each pack.

I don't care for the booger theme, but it doesn't deter me because I like the other cards. As someone else mentioned, I draw the line with politicians or celebrities being parodied.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »
same here. And with more titles out, it's getting easier to see how strong and well done this set is going to be as a whole

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »
The thing here is that not every title will appeal to everyone. The most important thing is to support these releases or we really won’t be seeing anything else Wacky. The artists have really gone to bat for the fans. I would love to have a wacky weekly series every week. There are enough collectors on this site that will be able to help anyone out that’s looking for back variations. I’m rolling the dice here and ordering several sets every week. I’m Canadian and have my cards shipped to my US post office box. With the borders currently closed due to COVID, I have no idea when I’ll be able to get them. May be some seriously delayed trading or buying for me to complete the backs. Hoping I’ll get the Wonky cards in what I’ve ordered. Thank you to all the artists from these sets. I also can’t wait for the next Old School set this fall!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
The thing here is that not every title will appeal to everyone. The most important thing is to support these releases or we really won’t be seeing anything else Wacky. The artists have really gone to bat for the fans. I would love to have a wacky weekly series every week. There are enough collectors on this site that will be able to help anyone out that’s looking for back variations. I’m rolling the dice here and ordering several sets every week. I’m Canadian and have my cards shipped to my US post office box. With the borders currently closed due to COVID, I have no idea when I’ll be able to get them. May be some seriously delayed trading or buying for me to complete the backs. Hoping I’ll get the Wonky cards in what I’ve ordered. Thank you to all the artists from these sets. I also can’t wait for the next Old School set this fall!!

Yep. no one is going to love every title, and some will prefer certain titles over others.  But, we're getting new Wackys!!

So your Wackys will languish here until the border opens?  Bummer!  If the distribution is decent, I'll put aside Wonkys for you, just in case.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2020, 08:24:15 PM »
Yup! They will be stuck there. The funny thing is I’m only 20 minutes from the border. You should look up where Point Roberts is in the United States. You can only access it from Canada and it doesn’t connect to the rest of the US. And thank you so much for holding some cards back for me if you get extras. As soon as I can make it down to the US once the borders re-open, I’ll let you know what I need. Fingers crossed the distribution isn’t too bad!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »

Glad to hear it! The Wonkys are always so much fun to work on. By the way, here's my wacky week 2 contribution:

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
Like I said we are self correcting. After this month we are clear on what people won't want (we only have control on the sticker side of things). Just seems weird to me to drop collecting these entirely over a few of the many for the first month (BTW, these were not mine, I'm not sure if that is what you are thinking). We had gags like these in ANS which is what we were modeling it after and figured we should stay modern with the products.  There is one more like this one coming up and after that I don't think you'll see products like these again. The art will be solid. This isn't Jungwha art anymore. No political gags either.

Count me among those who dislike the snot gags, but I appreciate hearing that the artists are listening.  I will admit that I was a tad put off when I clicked on the first set with high hopes and the first sticker was plastered with snot.  So it goes.  The rest look great and, based on a super quick glance (I'm trying not to spoil the surprise entirely), week 2 looked even better.  I wish Topps would listen as well as the artists and include a wonky with each set (we collectors are completists and not knowing if I will get a full set has definitely been a bummer to me).  I can see how making the wonky not guaranteed could lead to increased set purchases, but for me, it led me to order just one set each week as I didn't want to spend $15 on the chance I'd get the sticker I'm missing (or, maybe not missing since it may have come in the one set I ordered).

On an unrelated note, I'm glad to see your tagline, Dave, about the chance for OLDS9 in November  :great:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
Glad to hear it! The Wonkys are always so much fun to work on. By the way, here's my wacky week 2 contribution:

One of my favorites this week! Great parody, and Gardetto's company started here in my hometown of Milwaukee, WI

Offline drono

« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2020, 04:37:04 AM »
I posted this on "Are they Nuts?" post as a reply to Richard #staywacky and his great binder inserts.

Since Topps doesn't seem to be interested in making WP binders anymore, maybe you artists could convince them to make a set of 3-ring inserts (front, back, binder) instead.  Anyone who orders a complete four-run set of the new weekly series cards gets one for free.  I'd much prefer that over different backs and a having to buy more for a chance to get a Wonky. 

Maybe then if it's popular they could print and sell them for past series without binders too?  It seems like these would be pretty cheap to print, so the ROI would be high. 

Offline quas

« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2020, 05:17:22 AM »
I posted this on "Are they Nuts?" post as a reply to Richard #staywacky and his great binder inserts.

Since Topps doesn't seem to be interested in making WP binders anymore, maybe you artists could convince them to make a set of 3-ring inserts (front, back, binder) instead.  Anyone who orders a complete four-run set of the new weekly series cards gets one for free.  I'd much prefer that over different backs and a having to buy more for a chance to get a Wonky. 

Maybe then if it's popular they could print and sell them for past series without binders too?  It seems like these would be pretty cheap to print, so the ROI would be high.

Great idea, fellow Dodger fan.
Marc

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:32 PM »
Next wacky groupling in 2 days so yeah.

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
sneak preview of Brent Engstrom's piece for tomorrow's set

https://i.postimg.cc/GmgZY166/99353171-3812268882147543-3129631643690598400-o.jpg

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
awesome!  Well done!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2020, 02:36:12 PM »
Since Topps doesn't seem to be interested in making WP binders anymore, maybe you artists could convince them to make a set of 3-ring inserts (front, back, binder) instead.

I've been toying with this idea and was thinking about doing some unofficial inserts in my spare time, but haven't had much of that in a while. Maybe when things slow down a bit, I'll revisit this.

Stay tuned...

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »
Here's another idea for binders. Use all those extra singles you may have.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »

I love this idea!  Something that I would really enjoy and use rather than different backs, which I just sell or trade or let take up space.  And, Neil, I'm glad to hear you're considering it  :great:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
Here's my Wacky for this week: Ghoul-Aid

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
Amazing! Thanks David!

Offline quas

« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:43 AM »
Amazing! Thanks David!

Excellent!  Especially the "Add Souls".
Marc

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2020, 08:58:27 AM »
great stuff, Dave, love the title and the artwork!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »
I've been toying with this idea and was thinking about doing some unofficial inserts in my spare time, but haven't had much of that in a while. Maybe when things slow down a bit, I'll revisit this.

Stay tuned...

Can I assume an independent effort (like you mention) could not include actual entries considered official Topps Wacky Packages? In other words a GI Toe, Mister Faulty, Qreep, etc.., couldn't be done? 

« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
Is anyone else having difficulty accessing topps.com? I keep getting verification messages.

Yes. The block is not there anymore and I can access the site.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:52:36 AM by De-Mented Tomatoes »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
Yeah, they're probably updating the site for new releases at the moment.

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2020, 10:40:39 AM »
Is anyone else having difficulty accessing topps.com? I keep getting verification messages.
i've had issues for the past month when on my home wifi - access forbidden, and other errors.
when I use a cell network, or wifi at other locations (e.g. Starbucks), I have no problems.
I think they changed something with their security about a month ago, and it's been causing havoc for quite a few folks.

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »
Damn it, there goes my Celestial Pizza gag!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »
Great looking cards this week!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
Is there a picture of the Wonky card this week? David or Neil do you have this? :)

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2020, 11:08:14 AM »
Is there a picture of the Wonky card this week? David or Neil do you have this? :)
They were slow to post it last week as well. Hopefully it’ll show up soon.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »
The Wonky is up now to view!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »
The Wonky is up now to view!

Awesome! Thank you!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2020, 11:45:40 AM »
Damn it, there goes my Celestial Pizza gag!

I like your gag!  "My Favorite Martian" has been on COZI TV lately, and your gag had me thinking "Just like my Uncle Martin used to make!"  But too many people wouldn't get that.

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
Week 2 sales are holding strong:  745

anything