Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238462 times)

Offline FourRoses

Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
"I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell – ‘I’m as mad as hell and I’m not gonna take this anymore!’ Things have got to change. But first, you’ve gotta get mad!…You’ve got to say, ‘I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this anymore!’ Then we’ll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: ‘I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this anymore!"

Offline Swiski

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2020, 10:28:08 AM »
We've already lost at least one Wacky fan because of the first title being a snot/booger gag.  Let's forgive the occasional title we don't like, and embrace the others!

I should have worded it differently. I don't hate the parody or the artistry, I hate the subject matter. Products like Apple, Mac, Fitbit, Roku, etc. have incredibly boring, colorless packaging that doesn't allow a decent parody unless you add a bunch of crap to the parody to liven it up. So I'm against particular products getting parodies made.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »
Sneak preview of a title for Wednesday, as shown on the Topps FB page

https://i.postimg.cc/VL45pYWC/6-B9918-B6-D58-E-4335-A49-E-375-C504003-DA.jpg

Is the Wacky Packages Weekly Series ever going to see in the weeks to come any Sonic the Hedgehog spoof or a Peanuts/Snoopy related spoof? But Topps isn't allowed to spoof Disney owned properties with Star Wars and Marvel and now the Simpsons (since Disney acquired 20th. Century Fox) in Wacky Packages form after the C&D on a planned Star Wars Wacky Packages series in 2014.

Offline drono

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
I don't hate the parody or the artistry, I hate the subject matter. Products like Apple, Mac, Fitbit, Roku, etc. have incredibly boring, colorless packaging that doesn't allow a decent parody unless you add a bunch of crap to the parody to liven it up. So I'm against particular products getting parodies made.

I agree! 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2020, 03:57:19 PM »
Boring or not, those are part of our culture. Isn't parody of current products the norm for this hobby?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2020, 04:23:24 PM »
Boring or not, those are part of our culture. Isn't parody of current products the norm for this hobby?

I guess. Last week had mostly great titles, so I expect there will be one stinker every week. I'm still happy Wackies are back!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13:30 AM »
Not much time left for the first pack!  Order now and give the new series a chance!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
Here's my card for this week: Mr. Teen

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2020, 08:23:22 AM »
Here's my card for this week: Mr. Teen

So Cool.. Wacky Live!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
well done, great work Dave!  Love the gag!

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »
Thanks, Patrick!

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »
Glaring typo. It’s vs Its.
Powers that be, please fix before shipping!
Thank you.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »
Thank you.

(Image removed from quote.)
I didn't even notice that, but I'm glad you did, Patrick.

You have no idea how much I hate that.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
Thank you.

(Image removed from quote.)

They said they would correct it

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »
There's a checklist back shown this time.  So, one less coupon back?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »

There's 5 coupon backs as well as a checklist.

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
Remaining four puzzle backs (to make the 9), and checklist for 10, for the standard backs.

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
Week #1 print run of 886 sets.

Very good sale number, I would think.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Order now and give the new series a chance!!
All she is sayyyyyy-ing...is give the series a chance!   :]

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
I should have worded it differently. I don't hate the parody or the artistry, I hate the subject matter. Products like Apple, Mac, Fitbit, Roku, etc. have incredibly boring, colorless packaging that doesn't allow a decent parody unless you add a bunch of crap to the parody to liven it up. So I'm against particular products getting parodies made.

I agree with this sentiment.  I'm not saying there's NO way one could ever be a good wacky, but they aren't great and not in the spirit of the originals.  I'd prefer they be few and far between in these new sets.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
Week #2 is up

https://www.topps.com/2020-topps-wacky-packages-weekly-series-week-2.html

I'm holding off on ordering for now in the slim hopes I either get my set from last week (I know, very unlikely) or we get more info about the two bonus stickers.  I may cave and order without that info, but in that case, I'm likely to just order one set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
I'm holding off on ordering for now in the slim hopes I either get my set from last week (I know, very unlikely) or we get more info about the two bonus stickers.  I may cave and order without that info, but in that case, I'm likely to just order one set.

The site says "ships 3-5 business days" from when the clock ends, so I see no way that we'll have the first pack in time to order the second.  And I believe we have gotten as much info on the bonus stickers that we're going to get.  Guess we'll be buying blind again.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »
We've already lost at least one Wacky fan because of the first title being a snot/booger gag.  Let's forgive the occasional title we don't like, and embrace the others!

Lost me also.  Took one look at the stickers and closed the browser tab.  That stuff just turns me off.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
One sticker gag loses people for good? If that's the case there is no hope for a full time return for WPs. Ten stickers so far and two (painted really well at least) have a product or a type of gag (that WAS in the original ANS) and we lost ya. I don't get it. We talked about it. After this month's stickers (which are too far along to change) there will be no poop, vomit, snot or non-grocery store/ Target/ Walmart type of products. We are aware.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »
I am torn by your reaction to some of these criticisms. On the one hand, it's wise to give customers what they want. On the other hand, Wacky Packages have always been a creative effort, and I am loathe to edit or direct an artist, especially one that I have always enjoyed. While it's true that I'm not a fan of certain kinds of Wackys, I'm still game for this set as designed.  There are always hits and misses in any set, depending on personal preference, and you're never going to please everyone. For me, the only line in the sand is the political stuff. Otherwise, have at it and let your creative imagination run wild!

I think some of the folks who are opting out likely have more of an issue with the small-batches-with-chase-cards approach. After all, previous sets that came all at once were loaded with subjects that you're now self-censoring.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2020, 08:53:07 PM »
Like I said we are self correcting. After this month we are clear on what people won't want (we only have control on the sticker side of things). Just seems weird to me to drop collecting these entirely over a few of the many for the first month (BTW, these were not mine, I'm not sure if that is what you are thinking). We had gags like these in ANS which is what we were modeling it after and figured we should stay modern with the products.  There is one more like this one coming up and after that I don't think you'll see products like these again. The art will be solid. This isn't Jungwha art anymore. No political gags either.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:57:29 PM by slamjim »

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2020, 09:18:17 PM »
The pushback on snot jokes in Wackys should not be a surprise though, it’s been that way since ANS 1.
I recall the preliminary checklist for that set was published and it was heavy on snot gags. A forum majority spoke out loudly against their inclusion. At least three snot jokes got pulled before release to everyone’s relief.

As good as these all are, it didn’t feel like the right one to use to initially promote the run.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:38:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
Crunch Boogers is my favorite card from the new set.  My daughter thinks it's hilarious too.  Crunch Berries are her favorite cereal.

As a kid, I always liked the gross Wackys from the eighties like Chock Full O' Guts.  The gross-out factor of these and GPKs were the whole selling point for most of us kids in the eighties.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2020, 10:17:28 PM »
The pushback on snot jokes in Wackys should not be a surprise though, it’s been that way since ANS 1.
I recall the preliminary checklist for that set was published and it was heavy on snot gags. A forum majority spoke out loudly against their inclusion. At least three snot jokes got pulled before release to everyone’s relief.

As good as these all are, it didn’t the right one to use to initially promote the run.
Patrick, I looked it up and it was three exactly: Little Drippie Snot Cakes (which was originally intended for the lost 1992 series, btw), Snot Pockets and Swansong Chicken Snot Pie (which was also made as a clear cling). They still have not been released to this day.

The one that actually did make it - Snots - wasn't even on the preliminary checklist to begin with. How that one got past the radar I'll never know.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:19:07 AM by mikecho »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2020, 03:37:31 AM »
Like I said we are self correcting. After this month we are clear on what people won't want (we only have control on the sticker side of things). Just seems weird to me to drop collecting these entirely over a few of the many for the first month (BTW, these were not mine, I'm not sure if that is what you are thinking). We had gags like these in ANS which is what we were modeling it after and figured we should stay modern with the products.  There is one more like this one coming up and after that I don't think you'll see products like these again. The art will be solid. This isn't Jungwha art anymore. No political gags either.

Self correcting is greatly appreciated. I feel that those who are bailing due to one or two misses likely have other reasons to hope they do not like this release. Price may be a factor for some.  The online cards cost about $2.50 per card which is much higher than the retail cost. I personally can deal with that; but I think it is a factor for some. That is to be expected. It is great to know the artists are speaking for the collectors and Topps is listening. Neil; would you agree that the first week's sales met Topps expectations?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2020, 03:58:09 AM »
Self correcting is greatly appreciated. I feel that those who are bailing due to one or two misses likely have other reasons to hope they do not like this release. Price may be a factor for some.  The online cards cost about $2.50 per card which is much higher than the retail cost. I personally can deal with that; but I think it is a factor for some. That is to be expected. It is great to know the artists are speaking for the collectors and Topps is listening. Neil; would you agree that the first week's sales met Topps expectations?

Agreed.  I am thrilled that Topps is listening.  And it's great to know that the art will be high quality.  Quite honestly, one or two snot/poop gags in a whole set wouldn't bother me, especially if well done, as long as they don't take over.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2020, 04:08:44 AM »
I only saw a few people bailing out entirely. Some of us posted our gripes, but we are still buying these weekly. I think the artwork has been top notch and the parodies are in true Wacky Packages form! Like previous sets in the past going back to the die-cuts, there has always been one or two few least-favorite parodies. But like the Osmonds sang..."One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl" I hope the sales are good with these, and they continue beyond May!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2020, 06:21:47 AM »
I don't get it, because you instantly see one title that has snot humor, which is everywhere, you throw in the towel?  That's silly, and I don't feel reflective of the majority of the fans here.  These guys have worked hard to bring back something that we've all loved, and when I look up at the header on this page, it reads "Wacky Packages". 

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  If you don't like them, don't get them.  Or get the set and throw out the one you don't like. Or trade it?  That's all, I just get frustrated reading some of the comments.  If you don't care for the new stuff, don't visit the "All New Series" section?

anything