Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238548 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:52 AM »
Maybe in future weeks, they will make the Wonky a guaranteed bonus, where the other random bonuses will be a coupon back or red ludlow. I think more sets would sell that way, since many here want several of each unique card for their collection. I don't think most here care about completing the red ludlow backs anymore.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »
Ditto. Snot gags are the worst. I'll pass on these and hope for another old school series.

Dave said that was the only one, so maybe you'll reconsider and give the series a chance?

Offline drono

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
I don't think most here care about completing the red ludlow backs anymore.

When they were an accident because Topps ran out of backing paper, they were relevant.  Now that they're intentional, it's just another way to collect more money.  I gave up on being a "completist" while putting two kids through college.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »
Here's mine:

I'm going back into my vault and pulling out all my favorite gags that Topps didn't use, updating the packaging if needed and using those for this set. Very happy to have this outlet to get all these roughs finally painted.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
aaah, the return of our beloved Wackys!  Great job to ALL of you!

Let's just sit back, sigh, relax and enjoy the ride, so what if there's
a little snot humor here and there?  The original Wackys had an "edge"
for the times back then, it's nice to see new concepts!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2020, 12:20:12 PM »
aaah, the return of our beloved Wackys!  Great job to ALL of you!

Let's just sit back, sigh, relax and enjoy the ride, so what if there's
a little snot humor here and there?  The original Wackys had an "edge"
for the times back then, it's nice to see new concepts!

I agree.  It's unfortunate that Topps put a snot gag in the first pack, possibly turning off some collectors, but what's done is done.  Why not support the set now, since you can always decide to stop whenever you want to if things deteriorate later?  You'll still have some new Wackys.

Offline quas

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
I agree.  It's unfortunate that Topps put a snot gag in the first pack, possibly turning off some collectors, but what's done is done.  Why not support the set now, since you can always decide to stop whenever you want to if things deteriorate later?  You'll still have some new Wackys.

Agree, and 4 of the 5 Wackies are NOT snot gags.  I hate that gag myself but I'll be happy with the 4 out of 5.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
Here's the Wonky Package as of the website this evening.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:46:59 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »
Good change to the numbering. Having it be WP makes sense.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »
Any guesses to how many cards will be in the complete "All New Series"?

I"m trying to figure out how much I can allocate into purchasing the run of these.

The odds of getting a Wonky would be extremely helpful to know.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
Good change to the numbering. Having it be WP makes sense.
'course, now, we have two Wonkys labeled WP1.

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Any guesses to how many cards will be in the complete "All New Series"?

I"m trying to figure out how much I can allocate into purchasing the run of these.

The odds of getting a Wonky would be extremely helpful to know.
The first set is the month of May. Four weeks with 5 All New Weekly Series (ANWS) cards each. So 20 in all. (not counting the four Wonkys)
I would expect, if May sells well, that we will see more after that.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2020, 03:58:41 PM »
The first set is the month of May. Four weeks with 5 All New Weekly Series (ANWS) cards each. So 20 in all. (not counting the four Wonkys)
I would expect, if May sells well, that we will see more after that.

I would have to think twice about purchasing more than one set of each if Topps had an endless supply of cards in the pipeline to issue. Their "Project 2020" set that has been coming out now will end up having 400 cards at $17.50 each!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
How many packs of these are you all buying? I placed two separate orders of one pack each. Hoping for at least one Wonky.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »
How many packs of these are you all buying? I placed two separate orders of one pack each. Hoping for at least one Wonky.

As of now, I'm just planning on one pack.  I'd like to buy more to support the cause, but other than increasing my chances of getting the Wonky, there's not much in it.  I don't care for ludlow backs, but I do like the coupon backs.  But I'm a completist and I either buy one pack to get the five base cards or buy an undetermined quantity in hopes of getting, well, I'm not sure to be honest (other than the Wonky).  I'd probably go for a set of coupon backs if I could do it at a reasonable cost and without having to do much trading, but that doesn't seem likely based on what I know.  I think I'll get one pack and sell or trade off the two bonuses I get (unless one is the Wonky).

As for the snot Wacky, it was quite a disappointment to see that come up as the first image when I clicked on the set.  I'm glad it's the only one like it, though, and hope it'll be the last one like that going forward.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2020, 05:37:00 AM »
Only one set for me. That's always been my goal for all Wacky Packages. I don't want to buy a 2nd set to increase my chances for the Wonky, then have to sell my extra base set on eBay or something. There's probably going to be tons of the 5 card base sets listed on eBay anyways, so the chances of taking a loss are strong.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
Only one set for me. That's always been my goal for all Wacky Packages. I don't want to buy a 2nd set to increase my chances for the Wonky, then have to sell my extra base set on eBay or something. There's probably going to be tons of the 5 card base sets listed on eBay anyways, so the chances of taking a loss are strong.

I think the big question is: What will the Wonky's pull on Ebay? Based on the crazy prices for the original Wonky's; some sellers will try to flip them for $30.

What price do we think they will actually sell for?   $10?   $5?   $20?  I purchased two packs hoping to get at least one Wonky.   I sense the second set will go

on sale before we receive set one; so I will probably buy two of of set two also; as a hedge against the wonky's selling for more than I want to pay on ebay.

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
I sense the second set will go on sale before we receive set one
They won’t start shipping until after the end of the sale date.
Likely set 3, if not set 4, will be on sale before most folks will even have set 1 in their hands

Offline quas

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
Likely set 3, if not set 4, will be on sale before most folks will even have set 1 in their hands

Sad but true.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »

Agreed, especially since they also have to print everything.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
I think the big question is: What will the Wonky's pull on Ebay? Based on the crazy prices for the original Wonky's; some sellers will try to flip them for $30.

What price do we think they will actually sell for?   $10?   $5?   $20?  I purchased two packs hoping to get at least one Wonky.   I sense the second set will go

on sale before we receive set one; so I will probably buy two of of set two also; as a hedge against the wonky's selling for more than I want to pay on ebay.

I can't find production numbers, but I'm willing to bet that the original Wonkys are pretty scarce, especially the last card.  I remember some people only going for one copy of the comic because ordering three got too pricey.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »
I found my Wonky's. That took awhile.  Psyched to add some cards to the Wonky page.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
I am with Dennis on this one.

Base set and Wonkys..... TOOOO expensive to try to hoard ads and ludlows,

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »
When they were an accident because Topps ran out of backing paper, they were relevant.  Now that they're intentional, it's just another way to collect more money.  I gave up on being a "completist" while putting two kids through college.
I’ve never found them relevant in any way shape or form.  Never even held a Ludlow in my hand, ever.  If a series was printed in tan backs and white backs, I tried to make my set all one type or all the other, and the more common format at that, just for a consistent look and feel, and general aesthetics.  Beyond that, I fail to see the importance of variations in backing paper.  To me it’s all about what’s on front.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
I had hoped that there would have been info about the extra 2 cards by now.

Offline quas

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
Any news about what's coming this Wednesday?
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »

I'm still hoping for specifics on the extra cards with the first "set."

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
I'm still hoping for specifics on the extra cards with the first "set."

I just sent a message to David seeing if he has any idea about packing assortment. Will be tough to know for sure if it’s random. We won’t likely get the 1st set until after the 3rd set is released. Maybe even the 4th. I’ll be more than happy to buy or trade for Ludlows and coupons. I’ve ordered several, so I’m more than happy to sell sets of 5 base cards if anyone is looking for them.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
There is a snot gag and?

Nintendo just put out Animal Crossings which has sold over 11 million and it too has a snot gag in it every Sunday morning. I guess I just don't find an issue with snot.

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
I expect exactly the same as what we got last Wednesday

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »
Sneak preview of Joe Simko's title for Wednesday, as shown on the Topps FB page

https://i.postimg.cc/VL45pYWC/6-B9918-B6-D58-E-4335-A49-E-375-C504003-DA.jpg
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 09:57:55 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2020, 07:40:45 AM »
Sneak preview of a title for Wednesday, as shown on the Topps FB page

https://i.postimg.cc/VL45pYWC/6-B9918-B6-D58-E-4335-A49-E-375-C504003-DA.jpg

Not spoiling it, but I'm not a fan of these gadget parodies. The design is too simple and content is cluttered. I'd rather have snot parodies. LOL!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:28 AM »
Last day to order week one set. i have two order packs coming.  Not sure if I want a third for this first week. How many are others buying?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
Not spoiling it, but I'm not a fan of these gadget parodies. The design is too simple and content is cluttered. I'd rather have snot parodies. LOL!

We've already lost at least one Wacky fan because of the first title being a snot/booger gag.  Let's forgive the occasional title we don't like, and embrace the others!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »
Reminds me of some of the titles during the Trumpocracy and Alternate Facts days, a few years back.

I think we all can feel like that guy, somewhat stranded in our homes watching tv all day?

anything