Author Topic: 1999 Binders?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
1999 Binders?
« on: August 01, 2021, 08:18:21 PM »
I saw a couple of posts referring to “the four 1999 binders.” Ive never seen these. Does anyone own them? Ill assume they were official binders for the 16 Original Series. I always assumed we all made our own homemade binders. I see one seller on ebay selling a set for $1,000. How rare are these? Why dud they come out 23 years after the stickers ended???

Offline DaffyBP

Re: 1999 Binders?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 09:51:39 PM »
I have a set. They are copyright 1999 by Topps, as well as Roxanne Toser Non-Sport Enterprises, the publishers of Non-Sport Update. They had published a book called The Beat Goes On, which is an unbeatable resource for Original Series Wacky Packages, with illustrations of each series, etc. I assume that TSE published/printed these binders as well. Cover art design for the binder series by Jay Lynch. The spines of each of the four binders are designed so that it reads "Wacky Packages" across all four when they are shelved together, in order. I have to admit, it looks pretty darn cool on the bookshelf. I purchased them when they first came out (and glad I did, as I couldn't afford them now!).

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 02:41:11 AM »
I have a set. They are copyright 1999 by Topps, as well as Roxanne Toser Non-Sport Enterprises, the publishers of Non-Sport Update. They had published a book called The Beat Goes On, which is an unbeatable resource for Original Series Wacky Packages, with illustrations of each series, etc. I assume that TSE published/printed these binders as well. Cover art design for the binder series by Jay Lynch. The spines of each of the four binders are designed so that it reads "Wacky Packages" across all four when they are shelved together, in order. I have to admit, it looks pretty darn cool on the bookshelf. I purchased them when they first came out (and glad I did, as I couldn't afford them now!).

Those binders are awesome!  The only flaw is that they didn't use D-rings.

As for reference books, The Gallery has a lot more information than The Beat Goes On, and a ton of color pictures.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 03:25:21 AM »
Those binders are awesome!  The only flaw is that they didn't use D-rings.

As for reference books, The Gallery has a lot more information than The Beat Goes On, and a ton of color pictures.

I owned those binders but sold them when the 17 OS binder set was sold by Topps.  The lack of D Ring was a factor in my decision. No regrets; but they are cool. Here are pics of my binders. To the right of the 17 Binders are the two Non-Official Wacky Packages Boxes Binders. The other pic is all my other binders which includes all the Postcard and Old School Binders and some of he others that were released.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 03:47:53 AM »
I owned those binders but sold them when the 17 OS binder set was sold by Topps.  The lack of D Ring was a factor in my decision. No regrets; but they are cool. Here are pics of my binders. To the right of the 17 Binders are the two Non-Official Wacky Packages Boxes Binders. The other pic is all my other binders which includes all the Postcard and Old School Binders and some of he others that were released.

Very nice!  And I see a copy of The Gallery at the right of the second shelf.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:40:30 AM »
Were these printed in a small number? Is that why they are so expensive and rare? Or is someone just price gouging? The set on e-bay does look cool, but for $1,000 i can buy a lot of things….

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 04:56:34 AM »
Were these printed in a small number? Is that why they are so expensive and rare? Or is someone just price gouging? The set on e-bay does look cool, but for $1,000 i can buy a lot of things….

I believe they were printed in a very small number, just to satisfy the number of mail in orders they received.  I ordered my set through an ad in Non-Sport Update magazine; I'm not sure whether they were offered any other way. 

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:05:07 AM »

There was a binder for Chrome?
Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 06:14:01 AM »
There was a binder for Chrome?

That is a Postcard Binder with a Chrome Logo cut from a box stuck on the side.

Andrew

Offline quas

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 07:03:44 AM »
That is a Postcard Binder with a Chrome Logo cut from a box stuck on the side.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.  That's what I thought, as it looked like there was something underneath the logo.
Marc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »
I saw a couple of posts referring to “the four 1999 binders.” Ive never seen these.
Liar. LOL

Go back and look at my collection pics in "storage/display" thread and you'll see my set there on the bottom left, between the two white binders. Only picked those up several years back and remember not what I paid, but it was more than the original price...

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 06:25:54 AM »
Sorry, my middle aged eyes couldn't detect that, especially on this tiny phone screen....

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 11:12:24 AM »

I had a set of these...  unfortunately, I sold them about a year later when I was in need of quick cash....  :(

anything