Author Topic: Idea for a (fictitious) Wacky cartoon TV show  (Read 3128 times)

Offline mikecho

Idea for a (fictitious) Wacky cartoon TV show
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »
"And now, h-e-e-e-ere they are!

The most daredevil display of pun-filled parodies ever to peel and stick in the Wacky Packages...competing for the title of the World's Wackiest Package.

The stickers are approaching the starting line..."

I'll let you guys and gals make up the rest. The only thing here is all the opening lines from the Wacky Races opening part dealing with the drivers and their cars have to be used, beginning with "First is...spoofing...", "Next it's...", Maneuvering for position is..., "Right behind them is..., etc., and going on from there. Remember, anything's possible.

"A-n-n-nd they're off...to a standing start.

And why not? They've been stuck to a post by shifty (blank)...who sticks onto the wrong surface.

And aw-a-a-ay they go! They're the way-out Wacky Packages!"

No reason for this one except good, clean fun and a few laughs (by the way, I made this up entirely).

Just thought of something. Could someone please put on this subforum the 1968-1970 Wacky Races opening sequence from YouTube or wherever it can be found, so that everyone that doesn't remember the show has a general idea of what to do here? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:37:08 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

Re: Idea for a (fictitious) Wacky cartoon TV show
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
Who could forget that awesome show.  It was probably my favorite cartoon as a kid, at least for a while.  That and Scooby of course.  But would it have hurt them to have Dick Dastardly finally win a race once in a while?  My biggest beef with the show, though (and this is how it relates to Wacky Packages), is those early days of Ebay when every search for "Wacky" would come up with 50% Wacky Races animation cells, 40% Wacky Wobblers, and 10% or less Wacky Packages, so you had to weed through everything to find the good stuff! 

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:23:01 PM »
Who could forget that awesome show.  It was probably my favorite cartoon as a kid, at least for a while.  That and Scooby of course.  But would it have hurt them to have Dick Dastardly finally win a race once in a while?  My biggest beef with the show, though (and this is how it relates to Wacky Packages), is those early days of Ebay when every search for "Wacky" would come up with 50% Wacky Races animation cells, 40% Wacky Wobblers, and 10% or less Wacky Packages, so you had to weed through everything to find the good stuff!
Yes, Wacky Races is one of my favorite Hanna-Barbera series, too, as well as its two spin-offs, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.

The only thing I didn't like about the DVD releases of at least two of these three series is that the Wacky Races: The Complete Series DVD set stupidly omitted all of the Announcer's dialogue in every one of the closing credits (except for two episodes (I don't remember which ones they were, though)) and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Complete Series DVD set equally stupidly omitted all of the openings to the following week's episodes at the end of every episode (e.g, "Game of Peril", the next-to-last episode, whose opening segment contained an important part of the entire plot). The Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines DVD set, however, was unedited (as far as I know, that is).

This isn't the first time that whoever owns Hanna-Barbera by now has done this, though. The Space Ghost and Dino Boy: The Complete Series DVD set's order of the Space Ghost segments was completely different from the original broadcast order (I don't know about the order of the Dino Boy in the Lost Valley segments, though; see the Wikipedia article Space Ghost (TV series) for the segment release orders of both versions) and The Herculoids: The Complete Series DVD-R set again stupidly omitted the prologues to the first of the two segments in every episode which came before the opening sequence (the prologues to the second of the two segments, however, were left in every time). A perfect example of these omissins is the story "The Time Creatures", which opens on the Herculoids' homeworld of Amzot, but this time, it is thousands of years in the future, long after the Herculoids are gone. An alien being named Oton says to a group of others of his kind "To truly rule the future, we must enter into the past and conquer all those who would dare stand in our way!" (or worlds to that effect in the second half of the sentence; I only remember the line up to "into the past") He and his men then use a time machine to go back in time to Amzot, thousands of years in the past, when the Herculoids lived. This is followed by the title card, which is, in turn, followed by the rest of the story. The omission of this important part of the plot (it actually establishes Oton's motive for his actions later on in the story) is terrible! Just terrible!

And these four TV series are just the ones that I know about and have actually watched! I mean, people, if you're going to release complete-series DVD sets, please, at least get them right the first time! Don't give us Saturday morning cartoon fans sub-par products! Who does the final product checks on these things anyway, monkeys?

It's a good thing that this didn't happen (again, as far as I know, that is) to the DVD-R sets of two more of my favorite Hanna-Barbera series, The Atom Ant Show and The Secret Squirrel Show!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:35:07 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
Anyone got any ideas for this fun fest? Anything at all?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:35:30 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
I don’t remember the Wacky Races show all that well, but when I read the start of your post, the visual that came to mind for me was the goofy races they do at MLB ballparks as a between-innings diversion.  In DC they do racing ex-Presidents, and I think in Milwaukee they do racing sausages.  They involve real people in body-extending costumes, running along a stretch of the warning track, which make for a very funny visual.  I think it would work beautifully for Wackys - the challenge of course being the making of the costumes.  Layering of colored fabrics or felt would work well, but things could get a bit tricky trying to reproduce characters and finer details I suppose.  One would have to stick with the simpler graphics or settle for a rough approximation of a chosen title.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 06:44:08 AM »
I wish Wildbrain did a Wacky Packages cartoon series with approval from Topps.

Remember Topps pitched a Garbage Pail Kids cartoon to CBS in 1987 but it never made the 1987-1988 CBS Saturday morning lineup?

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »
I wish Wildbrain did a Wacky Packages cartoon series with approval from Topps.

Remember Topps pitched a Garbage Pail Kids cartoon to CBS in 1987 but it never made the 1987-1988 CBS Saturday morning lineup?

What would be the concept?  Unlike GPK, which has all characters, what could you possibly put in a WP cartoon?  I don't think one 5-minute script could even be written that would made sense to anyone.

GPK tried making a live action movie, and it was widely considered to be one of the worst films ever made -  a box-office bomb, earning just over $1.6 million.  Why would you think anything animated from Wacky Packages would be any better?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:59:30 AM by drono »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 09:47:21 AM »
No, no, no, you don't get it at all.

What I'm trying to do is make up lines for the opening sequence, only replace the Wacky Racers and their cars' names with Wacky Packages sticker names. This doesn't involve altering the original sequence or creating an episode, it's just filling in the blanks in the lines.

Could someone please put in the 1968-1970 opening sequence liked I asked before? I tried doing it twice just now and all I got for my trouble was "Video unavailable" both times...and I know I wrote down the right web address twice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:12:57 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »
Well, I take it this whole concept is a flop.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »
Grab your ANS lenticulars (don’t remember which series they were in) and have a blast.  I think those and some of the better-constructed avatars pretty much set the limit of how far Wackys can go animation-wise.

And remember, GPKs are all little kid dolls.  Bringing them to life in a cartoon is not much of a stretch.  Conversely, Wackys are . . . . . . products.  What are you going to do, put arms and legs on a can of Chock full o nuts and bolts?  How could that be even remotely funny?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
Grab your ANS lenticulars (don’t remember which series they were in) and have a blast.  I think those and some of the better-constructed avatars pretty much set the limit of how far Wackys can go animation-wise.

And remember, GPKs are all little kid dolls.  Bringing them to life in a cartoon is not much of a stretch.  Conversely, Wackys are . . . . . . products.  What are you going to do, put arms and legs on a can of Chock full o nuts and bolts?  How could that be even remotely funny?
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking the Wackys themselves could be moving along, standing up straight, as if they were getting ready for a race. Sort of like the "It's the Great Duzn't, Charlie Brown" animation that Duznt does every Halloween, but including the whole Wacky, not just the Wacky's character.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 09:14:38 AM »
I think those and some of the better-constructed avatars pretty much set the limit of how far Wackys can go animation-wise.
I don't know - maybe something like the "Sausage Party" movie?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
I would love to see a Wacky Packages official animation project with many of the characters on the parodies. But it seems really ambitious for someone to pull it off correctly. I guess the best way to enjoy these ideas are the thoughts and dreams in our heads.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »
There was a Wacky Comic book, how hard would it be to transition that? Marvel n DC do it.

Jim