Author Topic: Uses for ANS7 blank card inserts  (Read 12955 times)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
Uses for ANS7 blank card inserts
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
Thought we might come up with some creative ways to use all those ANS7 blank card inserts. Here's mine:

I'm annoyed that the UltraPro 9-card pages don't really lay flat -- they curl -- especially the lower left slot. Seems to be more so with the platinum series than with the silver series. This tends to curve OS stickers (at least for me), so I started inserting extra ANS stickers behind my OS stickers (I flipped the ANS sticker over to uncurl the UltraPro slot).

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the ANS stickers are a tad thick for this purpose, so voila: I'm now going to use the ANS7 blank cards flipped over so the blank side is against the back of my OS stickers.

Other ideas?

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
Re: Uses for ANS7 blank card inserts
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »
I have a purpose for these blank inserts...

Please send me any that you would like to contribute to my purpose... you may get a nice surprise. Secret message me and I'll tell you where to send.

PS. This conversation never took place. I can't be held accountable for things I do if there is no record of me saying I'm doing what I did. Nuf said.
Smokin' Joe

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »
I have a purpose for these.....

I threw 3 of them away yesterday and I just checked to see if they got ruined.....they did.
 :(

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
I predict you'll get more... and that many are throwing them away... which is why I decided to want them... (I'm secretly cornering the market on these... some day I'll be the only one to have them... and then you'll all have to answer to me... ha ha ha ha ha hic). I'm guessing that if sketch cards bring in hundreds of dollars, these blank little beauties will bring in thousands thousands... if I could only find officially non-printed blanks that were completely white on both sides I'd make millions...  Emperors New Clothes anyone?
Smokin' Joe

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »
You want the blank USELESS Security Cards that was SUPPOSE to keep people from stealing the packs but never went off. I can send you a stack of these as well :P

Choke_Wagon

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »
I'm feeling more secure already. Thanks.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
Thought we might come up with some creative ways to use all those ANS7 blank card inserts. Here's mine:

I'm annoyed that the UltraPro 9-card pages don't really lay flat -- they curl -- especially the lower left slot. Seems to be more so with the platinum series than with the silver series. This tends to curve OS stickers (at least for me), so I started inserting extra ANS stickers behind my OS stickers (I flipped the ANS sticker over to uncurl the UltraPro slot).

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the ANS stickers are a tad thick for this purpose, so voila: I'm now going to use the ANS7 blank cards flipped over so the blank side is against the back of my OS stickers.

Other ideas?

Yes, don't use Ultra Pro sleeves.  I hate them because they don't lay flat, and they are unnecessarily thick too.  I use sleeves from Staples that lay very flat and look great.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:33 AM »

Other ideas?

Although it's some work, I've found a way to deal with this that works for me. I take the ultrapro single card holders and cut them to just slightly wider and a little taller than the wacky card. Then I insert the wacky sticker with the ultrapro clear card behind it into the 9 card sheet. It works great to keep os stickers nice and flat and makes it easy to slide them in & out. You also get to see both sides of the card.

I cut them with an 11x17 paper cutter & you get 2 backers per ultrapro holder. It does take some time, but I find the results are well worth it. Too bad they don't sell them this way. If you try it, let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:06:09 AM by billf »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
On the topic of the security cards... I was under the impression from something I read earlier (can't locate it now) that the security cards had a thin approx. 1" x 1" inch square on them. I picked up 5 packs from Walmart and one had a security card. The security "device" was  a long, thin, white plastic dealy  but was fairly thick. So are there different "variations" of these security cards for different stores?  More importantly, it was obvious by feeling the pack that it had a security card in it. This particular pack only contained base cards and 1 wackomercial. Are others finding the security packs are low yielders?   
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
On the topic of the security cards... I was under the impression from something I read earlier (can't locate it now) that the security cards had a thin approx. 1" x 1" inch square on them. I picked up 5 packs from Walmart and one had a security card. The security "device" was  a long, thin, white plastic dealy  but was fairly thick. So are there different "variations" of these security cards for different stores?  More importantly, it was obvious by feeling the pack that it had a security card in it. This particular pack only contained base cards and 1 wackomercial. Are others finding the security packs are low yielders?   
interesting.
I just got some of the Wal*Mart gravity feed packs, and yes, they are different than the Target packs.
different pack #'s and they are not white plastic like Target, but foil like the hobby boxes.
like you say, the security strips can be easily felt through the back of the pack.
the Target ones could not be felt easily as they were a flat patch - but they were always low yield packs. i.e. no foil,  pink wack-o-mercial or flash card.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
interesting.
I just got some of the Wal*Mart gravity feed packs, and yes, they are different than the Target packs.
different pack #'s and they are not white plastic like Target, but foil like the hobby boxes.
like you say, the security strips can be easily felt through the back of the pack.
the Target ones could not be felt easily as they were a flat patch - but they were always low yield packs. i.e. no foil,  pink wack-o-mercial or flash card.

Shhhhhh..... (speaking in hushed tones).... so at least for the Walmart packs, it would be fairly easy to avoid purchasing the low yiel &%!$!"
{KNOCK ON DOOR}   "TOPPS POLICE!!!!"   {SOUND OF DOOR SPLINTERING}      {SOUND OF GUNFIRE}
(me bleeding away life essence.....)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »

Shhhhhh..... (speaking in hushed tones).... so at least for the Walmart packs, it would be fairly easy to avoid purchasing the low yiel &%!$!"
{KNOCK ON DOOR}   "TOPPS POLICE!!!!"   {SOUND OF DOOR SPLINTERING}      {SOUND OF GUNFIRE}
(me bleeding away life essence.....)

Yes that would be interesting if it turned out the packs with the security cards are less likely to have the chase cards in them than the other packs.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
Yes that would be interesting if it turned out the packs with the security cards are less likely to have the chase cards in them than the other packs.

I just opened a bunch of packs from a Walmart gravity feed (the box was so cool I pretty much had no choice but to buy the whole thing). It seemed like the odds of getting a foil or pink WOM were higher in the packs with a security card.

I didn't start to pay attention until the end, but the last 2 with a security card had a red/pink WOM. Also, my wife thought the packs she opened with the security card tended to have foils.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:12:56 PM »
I just opened a bunch of packs from a Walmart gravity feed (the box was so cool I pretty much had no choice but to buy the whole thing). It seemed like the odds of getting a foil or pink WOM were higher in the packs with a security card.

I didn't start to pay attention until the end, but the last 2 with a security card had a red/pink WOM. Also, my wife thought the packs she opened with the security card tended to have foils.
ok, I take back what I said earlier. My count so far:
Target - 5 security card packs:  3 Pink WOM, 2 duds
Walmart - 2 security card packs:  1 Pink WOM, 1 Foil

Not much to go on, but the walmart security packs seem like the good packs to buy. Target is a crap shoot. We'll have to keep track of this.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
ok, I take back what I said earlier. My count so far:
Target - 5 security card packs:  3 Pink WOM, 2 duds
Walmart - 2 security card packs:  1 Pink WOM, 1 Foil

Not much to go on, but the walmart security packs seem like the good packs to buy. Target is a crap shoot. We'll have to keep track of this.

Very interesting.  I've bought a grand total of 8 packs so far, but I'll take a look at those and see what the yield was for security vs. non-security. 

Perhaps this will be the new version of magnet pack searching...

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
Very interesting.  I've bought a grand total of 8 packs so far, but I'll take a look at those and see what the yield was for security vs. non-security. 

Perhaps this will be the new version of magnet pack searching...

I went to a Wal-Mart today and they had the gravity feed.  I searched through the box and bought five packs that all had the security device in them.  Upon opening the packs, every one of them had a red-border Wack-O-Mercial in it!  Not sure if this proves anything but it does seem that the security packs may be more likely to have chase cards in them.

I was hoping for foils as the Wack-O-Mercial cards don't really do much for me.  Well I now have five more red-border Wack-O's to trade for foils now!

4, 10, 13, 15, 20

Also one of the packs had two security cards in it!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
Oh, and they had the cereal box trays at this Wal-Mart as well!  I must say these Cereal boxes may be the coolest Wacky item that Topps has ever produced!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
Oh, and they had the cereal box trays at this Wal-Mart as well!  I must say these Cereal boxes may be the coolest Wacky item that Topps has ever produced!

I really like these too. The only small disappointment was that they didn't come up with new
box back and side artwork/text. When my kids were younger they used to get
Nickalodeon magazine. They would occasionally have product parodies, similar to Wackies,  that were an entire printed box you would cut out and fold together. I'll have to see if I can scan a few when I am not at work.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
I really like these too. The only small disappointment was that they didn't come up with new
Nickalodeon magazine. They would occasionally have product parodies, similar to Wackies,  that were an entire printed box you would cut out and fold together. I'll have to see if I can scan a few when I am not at work.
The old Dynamite mags when we were kids had these too.  They were the coolest things.  Wish I had saved mine!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
The old Dynamite mags when we were kids had these too.  They were the coolest things.  Wish I had saved mine!

"Dynamite" mag was around when I was in my teens. I still have some of the parody items from these
in my "vast" parody collection.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:46 AM »

I really am only looking forward to the cereal bonus stickers.  What the heck am I supposed to do with empty cereal boxes??  To me it's just more clutter!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »

I still have 4 issues from when I was a kid. I think they are from around 1975 or '76. Dynamite was the coolest when I was a kid.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
I really am only looking forward to the cereal bonus stickers.  What the heck am I supposed to do with empty cereal boxes??  To me it's just more clutter!

At least it's Wacky clutter!!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »

I would take your empty cereal boxes if you really want to get rid of them.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »

What any true collector would do... Store them in a box to avoid light, moisture and other elements. Away from prying eyes... in a secreted place where you can revel in the knowledge you OWN it and it completes your set and no one ever sees it and ..... hey!?!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
I would take your empty cereal boxes if you really want to get rid of them.

If the only real incentive to opening the cereal boxes is the online cards and a possible WOM parallel, I will probably leave mine sealed. As long as I can see some good scans of the bonus cards or pick up a set for cheap on Ebay,  it will be pretty easy to leave them alone.   
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
What any true collector would do... Store them in a box to avoid light, moisture and other elements. Away from prying eyes... in a secreted place where you can revel in the knowledge you OWN it and it completes your set and no one ever sees it and ..... hey!?!

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

If the only real incentive to opening the cereal boxes is the online cards and a possible WOM parallel, I will probably leave mine sealed. As long as I can see some good scans of the bonus cards or pick up a set for cheap on Ebay,  it will be pretty easy to leave them alone.   

I just opened my cereal boxes and every one of them had exactly 14 base stickers, 3 regular WOMs and 1 red border WOM.  If I had known that I was only going to get a some red border WOMs I would have left my boxes sealed as well.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 04:32:08 PM »
No cereal boxes for me either,Y cause I know what they LQQK like unopened...EW  nevermind
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »
What the heck am I supposed to do with empty cereal boxes??  To me it's just more clutter!
I hear you!
Clutter everywhere!

Tacking boxes to walls (2 thumbtacks through the back side of the box) can make for a very cool 3D display.
I put up about 20 boxes of Star Wars Lego sets on my son's bedroom wall and am surprised how many people who don't give a damn about Legos stop and stare at the graphics.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I hear you!
Clutter everywhere!

Tacking boxes to walls (2 thumbtacks through the back side of the box) can make for a very cool 3D display.

You mean you would.... thumbtack (gulp) through a Wacky Package item?  (shudder)
Good God man, think of the resale value!!!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »

Those boxes don't look good unless you take off the plastic and remove the big label going across the lower front. Better get an extra set!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
These things look so much like a Kellog's "Snack-Pack" (6 of the small boxes of cereal) the checkout woman at Wal*mart literally did a double take when she scanned it and it rang up $14.98. She checked the readout then looked at the item carefully  and laughed and said, "I thought it was cereal".

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
Those boxes don't look good unless you take off the plastic and remove the big label going across the lower front. Better get an extra set!

Yeah it would have been better if the front of the tray had been cut down so as not to hide the gags at the bottom of the box.  The boxes look really awesome when they are removed from the tray!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
These things look so much like a Kellog's "Snack-Pack" (6 of the small boxes of cereal) the checkout woman at Wal*mart literally did a double take when she scanned it and it rang up $14.98. She checked the readout then looked at the item carefully  and laughed and said, "I thought it was cereal".

They do bring back memories of the Snatch-a-Pak boxes!  I remember how cool it was to open the boxes on the sides and use the box as a bowl.  Of course those variety packs always had some cereals in them that kids would never eat.  Who wants plain ol' Corn Flakes when there are Sugar Smacks to be had!

anything