Author Topic: OS8 and Topps can KISS MY ARSE!  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Dead

Re: OS8 and Topps can KISS MY ARSE!
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 02:43:41 AM »
Well, I’d like to express my gratitude for the amazing decade of ANS stuff we got and all that went with it, even tho I’m gutted that it’s apparently all over.  Bravo to all involved for the Wacky revival of the new millennium!

Offline drono

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 03:04:39 AM »
Well, I’d like to express my gratitude for the amazing decade of ANS stuff we got and all that went with it, even tho I’m gutted that it’s apparently all over.  Bravo to all involved for the Wacky revival of the new millennium!

Your use of the word "decade" made me think of my first journey to Dallas last weekend and my visit to the JFK gift shop.  My wife asked me why there was so much NASA stuff there.  I could image the wacky artists making a speech like this:

We choose to make Wacky Packages! We choose to make Wacky Packages...We choose to make Wacky Packages in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 04:17:15 AM »
This should be a thread all of its own.  Without looking, the ANS titles I remember well are:

Sneakers
Coca-Cobra
Cannibal's Soup

I was thinking that yesterday morning.  Consider it done!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
All very cool titles, and seeing them listed I can sort of remember them.  But I guess my point was that with ANS, because of the nature of the numbers and both ease of putting together a base set and overabundance of confusing chase cards and pink-bordered duplicates... once they're out of the pack and into the folder, I don't feel compelled to go back and look at them again.  The 70s titles, I can look at all day long and still remember which column on the checklist many of them appear after not seeing them for years.  It's not a quality thing (well, except for some of the recent stuff... glad to hear some consensus on certain art that doesn't hold a candle to Dave, Neil, and George's stuff).  It's all about the execution and presentation of the stuff.  And that's really out of the artist's hands.  So, hopefully no offense taken.  the art & gags on a lot of the ANS stuff is really cool.  I just don't enjoy the process of collecting them, with the exception of the OS sets.  It's weird... I kind of tease Shoe for his checklist obsession and wanting things to be back to the old ways.  But to a certain extent, he's got a point.  Rather than charge $4 a pack and have all these ridiculous foil and chase and borders and backs... they should charge $100 a pack for only 4 stickers, skew the printing sheets so there's some drastic levels of rarity, and only 30 un-numbered titles in a set with no chase cards, pulling out a couple titles half way through the process.  THAT would get a trading frenzy and some excitement brewing!

anything