Author Topic: Modern risqué variation sets  (Read 2605 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Modern risqué variation sets
« on: September 15, 2022, 10:13:04 AM »
So… Hopefully this is not as much of a touchy subject as were the Lost Wackys… i have on occasion seen these naughty variation sets. I see on Greg’s site that they are original titles re-done with pin-up girls. They are obviously not official Topps projects, but look to be pretty well done. I see there were 17 or 18 sets of 9 stickers snd a puzzle. Can anyone say who produced these, how many sets were produced, or what other collectors have paid for them?

Offline drono

Re: Modern risqué variation sets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 12:18:01 PM »
As far as I know, no one seems to want to take credit for them, or say who's doing them according to this page: https://wackypacks.com/lostwackys/variations/

You'll find them all for sale at the Wacky Mall:
https://wackypacks.com/forsale/stores/char_boy/variations.php
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:33:54 PM by drono »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 12:46:28 PM »
The “We have no idea who is making these” aspect is laughable. I don’t know why he wouldn’t just take credit for it.

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
I doubt he's making the actual paintings - if they're really new paintings and not simply Photo Shop as claimed. 

I really think if the artist is unknown, s/he would have a problem with someone else, who claims to not even know who s/he is, taking his/her original creations and printing back variations, gold, silver, diamond, uncut sheets, vertical doubles, horizontal doubles, quads, and creating printing plates to sell without paying some sort of royalties.  Even Topps isn't that bad.   

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 01:55:12 PM »
there is a massive amount of photoshopping going on with those

this line made me laugh out loud at its shear ludicrousness.
>>"It has been speculated that this is what Wacky Packs would have looked like if Norm was left to his own designs"
 the BS meter is off-scale high with that

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
So…. No one collects them, then?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 03:53:31 PM »
The “We have no idea who is making these” aspect is laughable. I don’t know why he wouldn’t just take credit for it.
They are long-established pieces of pin-up art.  Some if not all by a very famous name, Gil Elvgren.  My guess is that he’s long dead, and those to whom the care of his estate fell have little interest in pursuing copyright infringement litigation.  Or maybe the art becomes public domain after so many years, like old movies?  Not sure, but who knows, maybe Greg did his research on it and evaluated the risk before proceeding.

That being said, it’s just an awful idea.  Wackys were never meant to be boner-inducing on any level.  There’s no correlation between pin-up and product parody, no thematic connection whatsoever.  Maybe it’s meant to compete with Wonkys, the whole ‘mash-up’ concept?  No idea.

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »
Very simply put, they ain't my cup of tea.  Or another way of saying it simply:  I'll pass.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 02:37:05 AM »
Definitely a pass for me!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 08:21:03 AM »
Yeah, the fact that they ate unauthorized, so no wacky artist got paid, present no new gags, and therefore add nothing to the “canon,”…i think i will not pursue these things. Its is an odd mash-up and the provocative pin up ladies have NOTHING to do with product parodies…

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »
I think the production is nice, but trying to sell something 50 different ways just to make a buck really turns me against this.  Now if the base sets were selling for about $10 each, then I'd probably buy them at some point.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »
I think the only legit "Risque" Wacky is Ovary Show. That card was painted by Norm Saunders and has an interesting back story. While never officially printed; it has been printed many times now in unofficial form. I think I have 12 different versions of it including a 9 piece puzzle set. I won't post pics of course; but OS is a  great wacky IMO.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 11:59:42 AM »
I think the only legit "Risque" Wacky is Ovary Show. That card was painted by Norm Saunders and has an interesting back story. While never officially printed; it has been printed many times now in unofficial form. I think I have 12 different versions of it including a 9 piece puzzle set. I won't post pics of course; but OS is a  great wacky IMO.
Don't forget Orgeo. That's the only other legit risque Wacky.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:14:55 PM by mikecho »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
So… Hopefully this is not as much of a touchy subject as were the Lost Wackys… i have on occasion seen these naughty variation sets. I see on Greg’s site that they are original titles re-done with pin-up girls. They are obviously not official Topps projects, but look to be pretty well done. I see there were 17 or 18 sets of 9 stickers snd a puzzle. Can anyone say who produced these, how many sets were produced, or what other collectors have paid for them?
I think these are stupid and a desperate attempt by someone to cash in on the collect all mentality of some wacky pack collectors which takes away money from the official authorized wackys issued by topps worked on by artists certified by topps.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 03:40:55 PM »
Maybe these things were secretly made by George Lucas after running out of movies to superimpose bad CG over the top of scenes that never needed it.  (Little did we know in the late 90s when Lucas went back and ruined Star Wars that Disney would do that 10x worse a decade later.  But at least neither added pin-ups anyway.)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
I re-read the content in the links drono posted and all I can think is, where do you get the balls to make these comments.

-they first appeared on the underground scene in August 2018.  Trying to plant the seed of a notion that there is a secret society for Wackys, which only the privileged few have access to?  What ‘underground scene’?  WTF are you TALKING about?  Was Andy Warhol and Twiggy there?

-no one knows who made these, and no one knows why I have an unlimited supply for sale in perpetuity, even in custom-designed wrappers.

-it has been speculated that Wackys would have looked this way if Norm Saunders was left to his own devices.  See previous post.  So Saunders’ real aspirations were to plagiarize the work of other pin-up artists?  Gotta love it when people claim to know the innermost thoughts of those they have never met or spoken with.  Wonder what Zina Saunders would have to say about that ‘speculation.’

-these are not just some photoshop job.  That’s EXACTLY what they are.

As Ernie suggested, it’s about taking part of the market away from Topps.  All this bootleg, knock-off crap started in the aftermath of the Old School debacle.  It’s a financial revenge tour that continues unabated to this day.

Did I cover everything? 🤡🤡🤡

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 08:25:36 PM »
I re-read the content in the links drono posted and all I can think is, where do you get the balls to make these comments.

-they first appeared on the underground scene in August 2018.  Trying to plant the seed of a notion that there is a secret society for Wackys, which only the privileged few have access to?  What ‘underground scene’?  WTF are you TALKING about?  Was Andy Warhol and Twiggy there?

Did I cover everything? 🤡🤡🤡

A secret underground scene known as EBay  :]

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 07:02:55 AM »
C'mon, everyone knows who made these, the same guys who have an axe to grind and have been behind other 'limited' series. And they're a blatant attempt to rip-off Wacky collectors, though I suppose if you're into it, knock your socks off.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 02:19:59 PM »
Im kind of sorry i asked. But at least you folks have steered me away from these things…

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 06:49:31 PM »
I'm glad I decided to get the complete Wacky Packages Boxes run. Like I said before, that one's the least offensive and controversial of all the fan-made/bootleg sticker series runs that Greg's offering.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 03:05:42 AM »
I'm glad I decided to get the complete Wacky Packages Boxes run. Like I said before, that one's the least offensive and controversial of all the fan-made/bootleg sticker series runs that Greg's offering.

I own the complete boxes run also. No regrets on that.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »
I wish there were risque or adult product parodies out there that are not rip-offs of vintage Wackies with pin-up girls photoshopped in.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 03:57:09 PM »
I wish there were risque or adult product parodies out there that are not rip-offs of vintage Wackies with pin-up girls photoshopped in.

I think Smokin' Joe put one out.

Jim

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »
WOW!  Dennis is a GREAT GUY! They are available and there is no secret society and we all know who was involved and created them; by the way I proudly own them as an art lover!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
I own the complete boxes run also. No regrets on that.
Amen to that, my friend.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 11:57:27 PM »
WOW!  Dennis is a GREAT GUY! They are available and there is no secret society and we all know who was involved and created them; by the way I proudly own them as an art lover!

Richard
#StayWacky

Dude? WTF does this post even mean???

Jim