Author Topic: 16th Series Set Pricing  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Soremel

16th Series Set Pricing
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »
I know that there are many different opinions regarding the pricing of a complete 16th series set. Trying to figure out a middle-of-the-road cost from online auction sites usually proves to be fruitless, as the prices are all over the place, making it difficult to come up with a fair figure.

If possible, I wanted to get opinions & direction from the Forum's members because many of you have been in the hobby for a respectable amount of time, and have a lot of level-headed input when it comes to pricing. I am only looking for ball park figures and I'm not holding anyone to any stated costs.

The price would be for a complete 30 title set with a complete 9-piece puzzle. All stickers are pack-fresh NM-MT (with 2 EX-NM stickers). The puzzle is EX+ to NM, with no gum residue or staining on the fronts or backs.

Thank you, in advance, for any help with this!

Offline bigtomi

Re: 16th Series Set Pricing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
I know that there are many different opinions regarding the pricing of a complete 16th series set. I am only looking for ball park figures and I'm not holding anyone to any stated costs.

The price would be for a complete 30 title set with a complete 9-piece puzzle. All stickers are pack-fresh NM-MT (with 2 EX-NM stickers). The puzzle is EX+ to NM, with no gum residue or staining on the fronts or backs.
I am probably not the best place to go for this kind of info, as I have only owned my keeper set and a couple of extra stickers/puzzle pieces over the years. But, since you won't take me to court if I'm inaccurate, I'll give you my opinion based on what I've seen over the recent past. I'd say a fairly high-grade 30 sticker set is worth ~$1500-$2000. Add $200-$250 for the puzzle. Therefore, $1700-$2250 for both.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
Personally I think the set has trended more toward the $1200 range lately with the puzzle trending upward. So I would probably price the combo at $1500-1750.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
I am probably not the best place to go for this kind of info, as I have only owned my keeper set and a couple of extra stickers/puzzle pieces over the years. But, since you won't take me to court if I'm inaccurate, I'll give you my opinion based on what I've seen over the recent past. I'd say a fairly high-grade 30 sticker set is worth ~$1500-$2000. Add $200-$250 for the puzzle. Therefore, $1700-$2250 for both.

Hahaha! Nope, no subpoena for you! I don't feel that there's a down-to-the-penny price tag out there. Honest, gut feeling figures are what I'm looking for. Thank you VERY much for your thoughts on this!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:04 PM »
If Scoot N/C included, $2000.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
If Scoot N/C included, $2000.

Good point! Thank you for including that!

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
Here are some recent comments from the market:
Puzzle 1 $358
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-NM-16TH-SERIES-COMPLETE-CHECKLIST-PUZZLE-9-9-VERY-NICE/232658465345?hash=item362b867241:g:wfsAAOSwd1laezXK

Puzzle 2 $380
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1977-Topps-Wacky-Packages-16th-Series-16-Puzzle-Checklist-9-Card-Set/312067903940?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Set incl. scoot n/c $1623
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-NM-16TH-SERIES-COMPLETE-SET-30-30-NO-COPYRIGHT-SCOOT/232658460671?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These seem to be in line with prices I recall over the past couple of years:
Decent set of 30 $1250 to $1750 depending on pent up demand & overall quality of the set

Scoot n/c $200 to $300 ""   ""

Puzzle $250 to $500
I have noticed puzzles seem to be tougher to find lately, and the prices have been creeping up, especially for really nice ones.

These are examples for decent overall quality raw 16ths. Most sets I recall have large variation in centering quality.

Prices for PSA 16ths is a whole other ballgame...

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Good point! Thank you for including that!

I was able to buy a full 16th box from Val Macaluso 14 yrs ago for $1,100. Cracked it open and wasn't successful in either a complete puzzle or sticker set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »

I was able to buy a full 16th box from Val Macaluso 14 yrs ago for $1,100. Cracked it open and wasn't successful in either a complete puzzle or sticker set.

That stinks.  Is it a common problem for OS16, or was it perhaps a "full" box assembled from loose packs?

For pricing comparisons, about 3 years ago I bought a set of 30 stickers, without Scoot n/c or a puzzle, for $1,000.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
That stinks.  Is it a common problem for OS16, or was it perhaps a "full" box assembled from loose packs?

For pricing comparisons, about 3 years ago I bought a set of 30 stickers, without Scoot n/c or a puzzle, for $1,000.

In 2001 (when the set was valued at around $600) I got a set completely by luck (from another customer at a comic book show) for $100. That's where my Floral 9 came from!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »

I lucked out big time. Way back in '84, I contacted a guy in Indiana who claimed to have 16th series sets for sale. He sold me a pack-fresh set, with a complete puzzle and a wrapper, for $17.00. A couple of years later, I purchased a nearly full box of 16th series packs for $60.00 (one of which contained a Scoot n/c!) I'm miss the 80's! :sad:

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »
I lucked out big time. Way back in '84, I contacted a guy in Indiana who claimed to have 16th series sets for sale. He sold me a pack-fresh set, with a complete puzzle and a wrapper, for $17.00. A couple of years later, I purchased a nearly full box of 16th series packs for $60.00 (one of which contained a Scoot n/c!) I'm miss the 80's! :sad:

I recall when the one Philly show I attended at one of it's old locations, When it was held at the Radisson Hotel in Bensalem, PA. There was a dealer set up that actually lived about an hour and a half from where I live. The prices on his 16th stuff was amazing:

Checklists-$.50 each
Singles-$1.00 each.
Unopened Packs-$4.00 each.
ETC.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »
I don't know if it was luck so much as timing.  Pre-internet, and not that many years removed from the initial 1976 release, it would not surprise me at all to see bargains galore on pretty much everything Wacky.  And as a collector, I have to believe that unless one knew about the existence of The Wrapper, there was pretty much nowhere to go for Wacky material or information, other than a long-shot find at a flea market or sportcard show.  I pretty much tortured myself from the Reissues until the early 90's, wondering if I'd ever know the complete story of the OS run of which I'd only had fragmented memories.  The Wrapper and NSU magazine allowed me to finally break through the iron curtain and discover the secret Wacky world in 1997.  Maybe being a little older during the OS run would have helped me retain more inventory and recall.  I was only 8 when I collected the last series I would see, the 15th.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:34 PM »
I don't know if it was luck so much as timing.  Pre-internet, and not that many years removed from the initial 1976 release, it would not surprise me at all to see bargains galore on pretty much everything Wacky.  And as a collector, I have to believe that unless one knew about the existence of The Wrapper, there was pretty much nowhere to go for Wacky material or information, other than a long-shot find at a flea market or sportcard show.  I pretty much tortured myself from the Reissues until the early 90's, wondering if I'd ever know the complete story of the OS run of which I'd only had fragmented memories.  The Wrapper and NSU magazine allowed me to finally break through the iron curtain and discover the secret Wacky world in 1997.  Maybe being a little older during the OS run would have helped me retain more inventory and recall.  I was only 8 when I collected the last series I would see, the 15th.

Yes, timing was a HUGE factor! Back in the early 80's, dealers would practically give away Wacky Packages. Some would roll their eyes when I'd ask if they had any, and would ask me if I'd rather collect something more worthwhile! (that's how I ended up with sets like The Addams Family, Batman, etc.!) Snail-mail and the Wrapper were the rulers of those days! I was actively collecting Wacky Packages right up to the 15th series, too... but I was WAY beyond the target market's age bracket! (I was 16 years old!)

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »

Definitely a full box put together form individually scoped out packs.  I have killed two legit 16th series boxes years ago and I got multiple complete sets, multiple complete puzzles, and 2 N/C Scoots from each box.  That is the risk you run of buying a non-documented full box.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes, timing was a HUGE factor! Back in the early 80's, dealers would practically give away Wacky Packages. Some would roll their eyes when I'd ask if they had any, and would ask me if I'd rather collect something more worthwhile! (that's how I ended up with sets like The Addams Family, Batman, etc.!) Snail-mail and the Wrapper were the rulers of those days! I was actively collecting Wacky Packages right up to the 15th series, too... but I was WAY beyond the target market's age bracket! (I was 16 years old!)
Your recall of dealer reaction to your asking about Wackys is REALLY interesting and somewhat similar to what I experienced throughout the 80's to mid-90's.  It seemed every dealer I asked knew what I was talking about but had zero interest in trying to locate any that they could offer for sale.  If old comics were so readily available (and still are), was it that far-fetched a question?  They gave Wackys no respect.  I wonder now if they turned away offers from people walking through the door looking to sell old collections.

The hopelessness of those exchanges added to my growing belief that OS Wacky would forever remain a little more than a faded memory.  It still feels miraculous that I finally broke through the iron curtain a few years later, when I think about it.

Your being a few years older must have helped tremendously in retaining your stash and having a chance to finish sets the way nature intended - one flimsy little pack at a time.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »
In 2001 (when the set was valued at around $600) I got a set completely by luck (from another customer at a comic book show) for $100. That's where my Floral 9 came from!
I got a lot of around 100 stickers for $50 on ebay.  Turned out to have 25 Shedds, 25 series 16 titles and 50 reissue stickers.  I remember showing a bunch of collectors this hoard at a hang out at Francis Khoury's place.  I thought greg grant was going to throw up from envy right there in the driveway.  I went from a non player to one of the closest to finish the Shedds set when a bunch of us were all trying to complete the set.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »
I got a lot of around 100 stickers for $50 on ebay.  Turned out to have 25 Shedds, 25 series 16 titles and 50 reissue stickers.  I remember showing a bunch of collectors this hoard at a hang out at Francis Khoury's place.  I thought greg grant was going to throw up from envy right there in the driveway.  I went from a non player to one of the closest to finish the Shedds set when a bunch of us were all trying to complete the set.

Strange as that sounds, it makes sense chronologically that someone interested in wackys between 1977 and 1979 would have exactly those cards. Then again, I can't figure how anyone has 25 Shedds stickers. Quite an appetite for PB and J's!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
Then again, I can't figure how anyone has 25 Shedds stickers. Quite an appetite for PB and J's!
or you had friend(s) that didn't care about 'em [gasp!] and gave 'em to ya.   :P

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
Who bought Shedds anyway? I never even heard of it. All I saw were Skippy & Jif.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »
Who bought Shedds anyway? I never even heard of it. All I saw were Skippy & Jif.
we bought it.
I think the giant 5 lb buckets saved some money and lasted longer for feeding a bunch of hungry kids, compared to the smaller jars

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
Many Shedd's cards show up here in Michigan

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »

I never heard of it, but if I had, and it had Wackys, my mother would have bought it for me.  I would have had to eat PB sandwiches for a month, but I would have had a Wacky!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 03:58:17 AM »
Many Shedd's cards show up here in Michigan

I found the two at an antique shop in Pennsylvania. Of course, I feel like PA is always the hotspot for things from what I read.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »
I found the two at an antique shop in Pennsylvania. Of course, I feel like PA is always the hotspot for things from what I read.

Duryea, PA   is where they were manufactured back in the day. Almost everyone I knew in the early 70's had a family member working at the topps factory. The unopened boxes and uncut sheets from every series I saw, and even had a few, were crazy everywhere. 1 guy I knew had a garage filled to the top with cases of everything topps, yes even wackies.

Jim