Author Topic: Upside-down printing on an ANS11 diecut anyone?  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Mr._Stubble

Upside-down printing on an ANS11 diecut anyone?
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
OK, ya I'm a bit slow (take that however you like) but I just got around on cracking my ANS11 collectors case. 

Strangely enough, the printing on the back for one die-cut (#50, Angry Turds) is upside-down.  The other eight die-cuts that I pulled are normal.  Well maybe those eight are backirds.   :P 

I found a #50 on e-bay, and this one is indeed different.

Searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion of die-cut back misprints for the series, so did a sheet get accidently inserted wrong at the factory?  If it did, then there should be others like this, correct?  Or am I just missing something...

Anyone else get one like this?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Upside-down printing on an ANS11 diecut anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »
OK, ya I'm a bit slow (take that however you like) but I just got around on cracking my ANS11 collectors case. 

Strangely enough, the printing on the back for one die-cut (#50, Angry Turds) is upside-down.  The other eight die-cuts that I pulled are normal.  Well maybe those eight are backirds.   :P 

I found a #50 on e-bay, and this one is indeed different.

Searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion of die-cut back misprints for the series, so did a sheet get accidently inserted wrong at the factory?  If it did, then there should be others like this, correct?  Or am I just missing something...

Anyone else get one like this?

I know there were titles in ANS11 with two different backs. Sno-Craps, #26, for example, had one back that was the lower row, middle card of the Raisin Brawn puzzle and another back that was the the lower row, middle card of the Hordelands 2 puzzle. Sounds like you are saying all yours have the "celebrating 125 years..." billboard on the back, but one is upside down from the others. All of mine have the backs oriented in the same way but I only have  8 cards to check however.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:29:38 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
For ANS11, every card has two back variations and the following have 3 back variations:

#9, SurReal Friends
#19, My Little Bony
#25, HorderLands

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
Sounds like you are saying all yours have the "celebrating 125 years..." billboard on the back, but one is upside down from the others.

Nope, I'm referring to the Die-Cut variations of the base set.  Eight have the normal print on the backs and one is upside-down.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
Nope, I'm referring to the Die-Cut variations of the base set.  Eight have the normal print on the backs and one is upside-down.
I'm still not clear as to what you found. You keep referring to "die-cut variations", but then talk about upside down backs? What do the die-cuts have to do with this? or is that just how you refer to the base cards?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »
I'm still not clear as to what you found. You keep referring to "die-cut variations", but then talk about upside down backs? What do the die-cuts have to do with this? or is that just how you refer to the base cards?

Sorry for the confusion. Pictures often help...

I just lifted this pic off e-bay as an example:

I would call this "normal" orientation for the front and back of this Die-Cut.

I have one that the back is printed or "flipped" if you will, 180 degrees - what I would call upside-down.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. Pictures often help...

Thanks for that pic! Worth a thousand words. Does yours have the correct card # on the back? (sounds like it does) Seems like that would get messed up too.

I had totally and completely forgotten about this variation in the chase cards. And I even put together the master list. Egads!!
I'll have to look at what I have. 

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
Thanks for that pic! Worth a thousand words. Does yours have the correct card # on the back? (sounds like it does) Seems like that would get messed up too.

Yeah, #50 Angry Turds. Weird, huh?

I had totally and completely forgotten about this variation in the chase cards. And I even put together the master list. Egads!!

I wouldn't feel too bad about it.  I mean it's not like there was 19 variations of the base set...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:50:37 PM by Mr._Stubble »

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 12:55:31 PM »
so I glanced through my small die cut subset (I only have 15 of them), and found four (28, 34, 35, 54) that are upside down relative to the image on the front.
Not sure if they intentionally played around with the orientation of the text. Likely all cards of these titles have the same text orientation.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:14:00 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
so I glanced through my small die cut subset (I only have 15 of them), and found four (28, 34, 35, 54) that are upside down relative to the image on the front. And they are different from current eBay auctions that I could find.
Not sure what that means as far a commonality or rarity.

Ah, so it's not just me.  :]

It's really cooking my noodle how that could happen.  You're correct that if the sheet was fed the wrong way, the numbering would get all goofed-up.  I guess I'm assuming that they print these like that.

And you have four of them... 

I bet it's not such a rarity then.

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
I'm guessing it's intentional and some titles are 'up' and others are 'down', but that all copies of a title are the same.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
I'm guessing it's intentional and some titles are 'up' and others are 'down', but that all copies of a title are the same.

Yeah, I think you're correct.

What kind of sicko would do that?  >:D

Thanks Patrick!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
I just remembered something: in ANS5, all of the checklist backs of the stickers are upside down. Also, every one of the set of 20 Wacky Coupon card backs is repeated once, making a total of two complete Wacky Coupon sets. You'll find those little tidbits on lostwackys.com.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:09:40 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
I just remembered something: in ANS5, all of the backs of the stickers are upside down. You'll find that little tidbit on lostwackys.com.

There was a GPK set released right before Wacky ANS5 and they had the same thing - the same printing company was apparently used, but the work on Wacky ANS5 had progressed too far for the problem to be corrected.

What a lot of people might not remember is that there were a few Wacky ANS2 stickers printed with the wrong backs.  I found 1 pack of them (5 stickers, I think).

Offline mikecho

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »
There was a GPK set released right before Wacky ANS5 and they had the same thing - the same printing company was apparently used, but the work on Wacky ANS5 had progressed too far for the problem to be corrected.

What a lot of people might not remember is that there were a few Wacky ANS2 stickers printed with the wrong backs.  I found 1 pack of them (5 stickers, I think).
Well, I guess Topps sure told that printing company "Hit the road, buster, this is where you get off!" in a hurry, because it never happened again-until ANS11, apparently. Did they keep that company after ANS5, or did they get a new one?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:00:43 AM by mikecho »