Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123488 times)

Offline drono

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #560 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »
I sent a batch of 132 in last august.  they have been in the grading stage now for 2 months I am going on 15 months.  I dont expect them until January.  I hope I am wrong

So does that mean if there's an 18-month lag from submitted to graded, that the price guide report on PSA graded cards is always 18 months old due to changes in grade population?  That sort of defeats the purpose of a monthly magazine.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #561 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »
We are discussing this on that vintage facebook page you invited me, we are discussing if grading should be two grades, manufacturing defect and post manufacturing defect.  Manufacturing defects with coins INCREASE the value since clearly there are far fewer that get out the door.  If Topps made an effort to grade miscuts and fewer made it out the door, would they be worth MORE like a coin?  I am with you, I certainly would choose centered over off centered with everything else being equal but PSA set up this racket and now they can just change the racket since they really had no standards and make people collect all over again, their goal is to make money, it is not to set standards.
You are correct there is way more quality control with the US mint then there was with Topps printing.  Back in the day, Topps counted on the candy (gum) sales and used cards to increase this.  The US mint had to make a product that is the same each time.  You are 100 percent correct defects in coins are rare and worth a whole bunch.  In cards though getting a perfect card, even from the pack was a hard feat.  So when we grade coins only condition after the mint is considered.  They dont say lady liberty is off center on a coin, so you cannot use the same standards.  Each one stands on their own.  (quick fact PCGS the number one coin grader and PSA the number one card grader are all under the collectors universe umbrella)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #562 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
So does that mean if there's an 18-month lag from submitted to graded, that the price guide report on PSA graded cards is always 18 months old due to changes in grade population?  That sort of defeats the purpose of a monthly magazine.
That is a good question that I don't know. the answer to, however in my opinion there is enough out there graded that the small amount left in the grading banks should not affect the millions that have been graded

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #563 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:29 AM »
Ironically, I believe that I read that they are removing qualifiers. The grade will simply drop if the issue is found instead of the ugly (OC) or (MC) on the case. I think that’s great!

It also seems that they are toughening on their grading, which is also good - but the inconsistency isn’t.

I’m in the boat with you, Joe. My enthusiasm for Wackys is minimal anymore, but picking up higher grade stuff is enjoyable. Especially when you can find a known toughie in high grade, it’ll light you up like Christmas. Or maybe that’s just me. And, again, the biggest highlight is the registry as well as the leaderboards that show everyone’s sets.
Trust me I get it, It is a different way of collecting where you can go with like minded collectors.  ( I just wish some of them would make them public and take some pictures)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: October 26, 2021, 09:20:15 AM »
Trust me I get it, It is a different way of collecting where you can go with like minded collectors.  ( I just wish some of them would make them public and take some pictures)

I finished uploading scans of my Die Cuts, Ads, and Series 1 so far.  Then I had no spare time for scanning.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #565 on: October 26, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
I sent a batch of 132 in last august.  they have been in the grading stage now for 2 months I am going on 15 months.  I dont expect them until January.  I hope I am wrong

What kinda stuff did ya send in??

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Making customers wait more than a year is a TERRIBLE business model. Then again, i guess they have a monopoly…..

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Think about how crazy that is!  A fresh out of the pack(proof or uncirculated), no finger prints, perfect card with 90/10 centering would be a PSA4 and a card floating around in circulation with soft corners and perfect centering gets a higher grade.  Sorry that is nutty to me.

I happen to agree with you. I would much rather have a pack fresh un-toned card with perfect corners and 80/20 centering than a PSA 5 with lots of wear. But believe it or not there are a lot of collectors who value centering over everything else, and believe (I strongly disagree) that it is the primary determinant of eye appeal. I literally see guys all the time proudly showing off their perfectly centered Mantle cards that look like they have been through the mill, and I wouldn’t take those cards for free.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2021, 10:38:58 AM »
What kinda stuff did ya send in??
about 100 wackys Mostly 9th series with a mix of other series and Star Trek Stickers.  I received a bunch that had no roller marks.  That is a really hard thing to do on star trek or star wars stickers

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
I finished uploading scans of my Die Cuts, Ads, and Series 1 so far.  Then I had no spare time for scanning.
You leave yours open and have plenty of pictures  :great:

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
Making customers wait more than a year is a TERRIBLE business model. Then again, i guess they have a monopoly…..
It was a perfect storm, The pandemic hit, more people home and started card collecting and finally the popularity of Pokémon.  It caused them to get overwhelmed, as long as when it is over it, doesn't hold the current model of business I will be happy.  You have to realize PSA increased its staff 4 fold and they are going to have to keep those people busy, I do think that the prices will come down then.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Prices up and poor service….classic monopolistic behavior….

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
I don’t think it’s really possible to have a monopoly at this point…

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #573 on: October 30, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »
Does anyone know how long the current $150 submission/review takes?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #574 on: October 30, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »
Does anyone know how long the current $150 submission/review takes?

If I understand this page correctly it looks like a little over five weeks….

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #575 on: October 30, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »
If I understand this page correctly it looks like a little over five weeks….

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

I applaud them in making it as confusing as possible.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #576 on: October 30, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
I think the date they give (9/21) represents the oldest order that is not completed. So anything that was logged before that is done.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »
Which scan looks better?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »
Which scan looks better?

I prefer the one on the left - the color seems brighter and the and lettering sharper.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #579 on: November 15, 2021, 09:24:55 AM »
Easier to compare them side-by-side:

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #580 on: November 15, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
The right one looks better to me, the left seems darker.

Offline drono

« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2022, 08:46:09 AM »
Beckett is hiring card graders and card verifiers!

https://www.beckett.com/careers

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #582 on: January 16, 2022, 04:24:50 AM »
I find PSA really funny. I sent my Sootball 9 in for review, and PSA received it at the beginning of November, 2020. At that point, it should have taken five weeks for me to get the card back. Well, it was about ten weeks until I decided to send an email asking if they even have the card. At this point, their site said that 100% of November orders were complete. A couple days later, I got my answer. Apparently my account is *still* blocked, and as a result I cannot send cards in for submission. So, they held my Sootball 9 hostage - and didn't provide me any information about it until I contacted them. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

Why was I blocked? About five or six years ago, I went online and called them - and I quote - incompetent retards. I guess they never recovered from that sick burn. They've got a chronic case of easily offended disorder. (Not that my declaration was any better)

That also by no means justifies them not sending my card back when they received it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #583 on: January 16, 2022, 06:25:14 AM »
I find PSA really funny. I sent my Sootball 9 in for review, and PSA received it at the beginning of November, 2020. At that point, it should have taken five weeks for me to get the card back. Well, it was about ten weeks until I decided to send an email asking if they even have the card. At this point, their site said that 100% of November orders were complete. A couple days later, I got my answer. Apparently my account is *still* blocked, and as a result I cannot send cards in for submission. So, they held my Sootball 9 hostage - and didn't provide me any information about it until I contacted them. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

Why was I blocked? About five or six years ago, I went online and called them - and I quote - incompetent retards. I guess they never recovered from that sick burn. They've got a chronic case of easily offended disorder. (Not that my declaration was any better)

That also by no means justifies them not sending my card back when they received it.

In what forum did you make that statement?

Offline drono

« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2022, 06:52:18 AM »
Apparently my account is *still* blocked, and as a result I cannot send cards in for submission. So, they held my Sootball 9 hostage - and didn't provide me any information about it until I contacted them. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

That's just another of the growing reasons to not send stuff to PSA to be graded. 

Since I collect sports cards too, I'm a member of a few Facebook groups for vintage sports.  I see waaay too many people asking if they should grade their "NM" cards with dinged corners, paper loss in the edges, off center, etc.  Are there really that many people out there that can't tell a NM card when they see it?  For them, I guess sending their money to PSA keeps them honest.

I just finally bought the last 1971 Topps Football card I needed, the Terry Bradshaw RC for $160.  When COVID hit, I decided to finish my childhood sets, and this card had a book value of $100-200 in the NM range.  It's now up to $250-600, so I found one in the EX+ for a little less.  If you want to see what PSA and grading has done to the hobby, just check eBay for 1971 Terry Bradshaw and sort by price + shipping highest first.  You'll see a lot of ungraded cards that are nowhere near NM listed for over $1,000 with $4,200 being the highest.  Would anyone seriously pay that for a card because you "think" it will get a 9 or 10 ?

IMHO grading has its place - to guarantee that something really valuable is genuine and not counterfeit, and it should place a "standard" of flawlessness.  However, this has gone too far and has taken most of my fun out of what should be a hobby.  I know that some of you like the register and compete to get the highest ranking.  If that's your deal, then I'm fine with that, but when it starts to remove my fun by driving up prices, then it starts to affect me.  That's just my 2-1/2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:53:49 AM by drono »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #585 on: January 16, 2022, 09:33:43 AM »
In what forum did you make that statement?

I said it on, of all places, Instagram. I no longer have Instagram because I don’t care to have it, so the post isn’t available.

As far as people attempting to send in poor grade cards, that’s up to them. It does not mean that I am going to. The pricing of cards also doesn’t have to do with PSA’s grading, it has to do with price guides and outrageous sellers. My fun is adding a new PSA 8-9 to my sets. Whose fun is more important? I’m sure there’s some give or take here. I’m paying even more than you, believe me.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #586 on: January 16, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »
I agree with DrOno…as far as what the grading has done to the card hobby, and to some extent, the comic hobby….its great if you are a high end collector or a flipper…The rest of us just have to settle for mid grade or ungraded cards. Its like the people driving high-end cars while the rest of us drive Hondas and Toyotas…you have to try and find things to collect that you can afford and be content with….

Offline drono

« Reply #587 on: January 16, 2022, 01:02:45 PM »
As far as people attempting to send in poor grade cards, that’s up to them. It does not mean that I am going to.

I think you missed my point.  Everyone now thinks they've got that NM 9 or 10, so they either want to get it graded or just sell it for big bucks.  Unfortunately there's a sucker born every minute who will buy it, and the price guides look at sales to determine value.

The pricing of cards also doesn’t have to do with PSA’s grading, it has to do with price guides and outrageous sellers.

I think it all starts with grading, which leads to graded card price guides.  Without it, we'd be back to where we were as kids and make a simple 1 for 1 trade or 2 for 1 if you really needed it.  Maybe  you don't remember those days of thumbing through someone's "doubles" and finding a handful you needed and then just swapping for the same amount they needed.  No looking at condition or who it was, just simple trading.  Grading creates ranking and demand with low supply, which drives up prices.  It also creates false dreams of having that card that's perceivably worth 10-100x a true NM card. 

My fun is adding a new PSA 8-9 to my sets. Whose fun is more important? I’m sure there’s some give or take here. I’m paying even more than you, believe me.

That's fine for you if that's what you like.  You're at a point in your life where you can spend your money on frivolity, but I have to be responsible and think about retirement in a few years and making it through with the lifestyle I want.  Grading has turned what used to be a hobby into a big business.  The grading company wins because they make big $$$, the few who have a rare gem mint 10 of a card in high demand win because they sell it for big $$$.  Unfortunately big money being dumped into the hobby as buyers makes it difficult for the casual collector because the rising tide raises all boats.

I agree with DrOno…as far as what the grading has done to the card hobby, and to some extent, the comic hobby….its great if you are a high end collector or a flipper…The rest of us just have to settle for mid grade or ungraded cards. Its like the people driving high-end cars while the rest of us drive Hondas and Toyotas…you have to try and find things to collect that you can afford and be content with….

I only own a few graded Wacky Ads.  They're all 4s and 5s, and I only bought them because I couldn't find those few in large perforations as raw cards.  I think I paid $5 or $6 apiece for them and would bust them out of the slab if I could guarantee I wouldn't damage them.  I just don't care that much about it being in flawless condition, so I buy EX, but I still have to pay way more because the price guides only show NM, and those prices go up as higher end cards get sold for more.  So yes, I do blame grading for making me pay more.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #588 on: January 16, 2022, 03:22:05 PM »

I’m not rich by any means. I don’t even spend all my money on expensive cards, I buy very sparingly. The chase is better than the catch, saving more to buy that mint card is much more rewarding than settling for less. But yes, collect what you enjoy.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #589 on: January 16, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »
I’m not rich by any means. I don’t even spend all my money on expensive cards, I buy very sparingly. The chase is better than the catch, saving more to buy that mint card is much more rewarding than settling for less. But yes, collect what you enjoy.

Some people can’t seem to understand that liking high grade cards has nothing directly to do with money. It just happens they are in low supply and higher demand. I don’t have a lot of money either. I see guys complete a low grade 1972 baseball set in under a month. I have been working on my graded set since 2014 and it is 55% complete. I just like nice cards and am willing to be patient.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #590 on: January 16, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
I can attest to the quality of your cards that you are very choosy.  Both you and Pat would rather have a brighter psa 8 than a psa 9 not as bright as the 8.  I though am not as choosy in the presentation as I am in the mechanics of the grade.  Everyone collects in their own way.  That is what makes collecting fun

Offline drono

« Reply #591 on: January 17, 2022, 05:47:19 AM »
Some people can’t seem to understand that liking high grade cards has nothing directly to do with money. It just happens they are in low supply and higher demand.

No, but it takes a lot more money to pursue one.

I see guys complete a low grade 1972 baseball set in under a month. I have been working on my graded set since 2014 and it is 55% complete. I just like nice cards and am willing to be patient.

I started working on a 72 baseball set, but because of the six different series, it's difficult to pursue by buying in lots.  Most of those are heavy in the 1st and 2nd series, and I only need 15 of the 263, none of which are commons.  Anyone who put a set like that together in a month either bought an almost complete one and finished it off or spent a ton of money (over $2K I would guess) to assemble it.  I've been working on mine for almost two years, and I'm still 324 cards and $1.3K away from completing it, but I'm a bargain hunter with a firm budget.  At least with a graded set, you're mostly looking for individual players while I'm still trying to buy lots.  Good luck with that one; I hope you finish it!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #592 on: January 17, 2022, 06:37:18 AM »
I see offers like this all the time on the Facebook group I’m in. Even includes some stars. High numbers do seem to command a premium. Interestingly, for cards in high PSA grades the high numbers don’t seem that much tougher on the whole.

Offline drono

« Reply #593 on: January 17, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
The way I would evaluate that lot is that I need 200 cards out of 649 with numbers less than 650 with a book value of $521.60.  My best scenario would be to get all 200.  A more reasonable expectation would be 200/649 * 521.60 = $160, so I'd be paying about $220 more than I could expect for my return.  I'm not a trader or a seller, so any duplicate cards I got from the lot would have no real value to me.

Interestingly, for cards in high PSA grades the high numbers don’t seem that much tougher on the whole.

My guess would be that the high numbers came out so late in the season that very few collectors had them, so most of the higher grade cards survived in top condition.  By then we were collecting football and basketball cards.  While the lower number series were bought by kids like us who put rubber bands around them, carried them in our pants pockets, clothes pinned them to the spokes of our bicycles, etc. so the higher grades probably survived in about the same number for all six series.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:06:38 AM by drono »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #594 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:40 AM »
The way I would evaluate that lot is that I need 200 cards out of 649 with numbers less than 650 with a book value of $521.60.  My best scenario would be to get all 200.  A more reasonable expectation would be 200/649 * 521.60 = $160, so I'd be paying about $220 more than I could expect for my return.  I'm not a trader or a seller, so any duplicate cards I got from the lot would have no real value to me.

My guess would be that the high numbers came out so late in the season that very few collectors had them, so most of the higher grade cards survived in top condition.  By then we were collecting football and basketball cards.  While the lower number series were bought by kids like us who put rubber bands around them, carried them in our pants pockets, clothes pinned them to the spokes of our bicycles, etc. so the higher grades probably survived in about the same number for all six series.

I think that’s exactly right. Much like the wacky 16th series, they are rarer overall, but a higher percentage survived in nice shape.

I hear you about buying lots, but there is only so far into a set build that you can expect to be able to do that without getting a ton of duplicates. Eventually you’ll have to pursue the singles you need, whatever the cost. Or just be OK with not completing it, I guess.