Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123409 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #455 on: August 21, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »
Yes, I have also thought about this. A small amount of research can definitely find the recommended flatbed scanner, however they cost a lot to justify the purchase. I could spend $250 to get good images of my cards, or I could spend $250 to get good cards. The latter is definitely more of an attractive option.

I hear ya. The iPhone camera in particular is so good, it really is annoying that getting good pictures of PSA graded cards is so difficult.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #456 on: August 21, 2021, 02:39:33 PM »
Yes, I have also thought about this. A small amount of research can definitely find the recommended flatbed scanner, however they cost a lot to justify the purchase. I could spend $250 to get good images of my cards, or I could spend $250 to get good cards. The latter is definitely more of an attractive option.

Who knows what may follow...but someday you might have to liquidate your collection. Those Hi-res pictures could be the only thing left of your collection, god forbid lets not throw some kind of disaster in there. You're young yet, you'll have plenty of time to make up that $250. Choose wisely my friend.

Jim

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #457 on: August 21, 2021, 03:00:11 PM »

I have wondered why PSA doesn't sell a scanner with a bed made specifically for slabbed cards.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #458 on: August 21, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »
I hear ya. The iPhone camera in particular is so good, it really is annoying that getting good pictures of PSA graded cards is so difficult.

Yes, I have an iPhone, and it does take good images. But, there are too many things that I find difficult in getting the images of my graded cards.

Who knows what may follow...but someday you might have to liquidate your collection. Those Hi-res pictures could be the only thing left of your collection, god forbid lets not throw some kind of disaster in there. You're young yet, you'll have plenty of time to make up that $250. Choose wisely my friend.

Jim

You have a point. Either way, I want high res images of my collection for the registry. I like high grade cards, and low res images don't fit the bill. I can afford the scanner, but I generally neglect to buy one. But, maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet and get one. My fear is that it doesn't make good enough quality images and I will regret purchasing it.

I have wondered why PSA doesn't sell a scanner with a bed made specifically for slabbed cards.

It is a totally different market, and a niche one at that. Almost no collectors (at least in Wackys) put images of their cards in the registry. So, I am not sure that the product would sell well. In theory, however, I love the idea.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #459 on: August 21, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »
Any image I post here won’t do the Epsom v600 scanner justice, because postimage degrades the quality. So visit this link on the PSA forum….

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1062350/v600-test/p1?new=1

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #460 on: August 21, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
Any image I post here won’t do the Epsom v600 scanner justice, because postimage degrades the quality. So visit this link on the PSA forum….

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1062350/v600-test/p1?new=1

That's the exact scanner that I was looking at online. PSA's registry doesn't use Postimage. So, that should not be an issue there, correct?

If you don't mind, could you scan one of your Wackys? I am not entirely sure what baseball cards should look like. Albeit, the flip does show all of the thin blue lines so I bet it is somewhat lifelike.

You would think getting nice images for these would not be so difficult. Jebote...  :-\

Here's the nicest image that I think I've gotten with my iPhone... but if Postimage ruins the quality, then it might not seem as nice.

This image also isn't straight to the card. It's slightly tilted. Gah.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #461 on: August 21, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »
I don’t have the v600 or any other good scanner, I just stole a pic from someone who does. But unfortunately the registry does reduce file sizes as well, so it is not possible to get a really good scan result in there except in the digital albums which allow larger file size.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #462 on: August 21, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »
As you know I have put a lot of effort into getting good iPhone pics of wackys. It is very difficult, you need to use natural light on a cloudy day and just the right angle. Here is a link to the best results I have gotten.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1062354/wacky-test#latest

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
I’ve never noticed a huge difference in image quality from the registry to my phone per se, but that may be a result of poor image quality to begin with.

Are you next to a window or such? My best results usually come on sunny days next to a window. If it is overcast, I find that the image is too dark. Fill me in.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
I’ve never noticed a huge difference in image quality from the registry to my phone per se, but that may be a result of poor image quality to begin with.

Are you next to a window or such? My best results usually come on sunny days next to a window. If it is overcast, I find that the image is too dark. Fill me in.

If it is sunny you get glare and reflections off the case. It needs to kind of partly sunny with the sun behind clouds. And yes, right next to two open windows, no artificial light.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2021, 08:26:44 PM »
Yes, I have an iPhone, and it does take good images. But, there are too many things that I find difficult in getting the images of my graded cards.

You have a point. Either way, I want high res images of my collection for the registry. I like high grade cards, and low res images don't fit the bill. I can afford the scanner, but I generally neglect to buy one. But, maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet and get one. My fear is that it doesn't make good enough quality images and I will regret purchasing it.

It is a totally different market, and a niche one at that. Almost no collectors (at least in Wackys) put images of their cards in the registry. So, I am not sure that the product would sell well. In theory, however, I love the idea.
I make it a point to have a picture of each card in my registry.  I notice a lot of the wacky collectors do also.  What I don't like is if you are going to participate in the registry, I would like to see your cards.  I hate not being able to see a collection

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2021, 09:47:24 PM »
I make it a point to have a picture of each card in my registry.  I notice a lot of the wacky collectors do also.  What I don't like is if you are going to participate in the registry, I would like to see your cards.  I hate not being able to see a collection

I hope that someday I will be able to upload good quality pictures of all my cards, but with the equipment I have now it takes me a lot of time to get just mediocre images. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #467 on: August 21, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »

As someone who scans A LOT. I want to chime in here. PSA won't make a scanner for this because most folks don't scan things. 

Scanner technology, by and large, stopped innovating about 15 years ago.  Generally (but not exclusively) scanner tech is about where it was while all other tech has gotten faster, better, and just overall cooler. 

Blame it on digital photography.  In the past, scanners primary use were transferring old media into the digital age. But now, it all starts out digitally. 

Still, there are the occasional improvement here and there.  But I knew when I started seeing more "scanner/printers" than dedicated scanners, I was in trouble.  Because I want scanner technology to innovate, not to get bundled with cheap inkjets. 

So ends my rant. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #468 on: August 22, 2021, 03:50:12 AM »
As someone who scans A LOT. I want to chime in here. PSA won't make a scanner for this because most folks don't scan things. 

Scanner technology, by and large, stopped innovating about 15 years ago.  Generally (but not exclusively) scanner tech is about where it was while all other tech has gotten faster, better, and just overall cooler. 

Blame it on digital photography.  In the past, scanners primary use were transferring old media into the digital age. But now, it all starts out digitally. 

Still, there are the occasional improvement here and there.  But I knew when I started seeing more "scanner/printers" than dedicated scanners, I was in trouble.  Because I want scanner technology to innovate, not to get bundled with cheap inkjets. 

So ends my rant.

Each time I have gotten a new “all purpose printer” - usually forced to because the one I had is no longer compatible with something new - the scanner has been worse than the previous one.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #469 on: August 22, 2021, 07:36:39 AM »
Does PSA still penalize for roller marks, or at least as tough as they used to? The closer I look at a lot of my cards, even some newer grades, a lot of them have rollers that don't seem to be penalized for.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #470 on: August 22, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
Does PSA still penalize for roller marks, or at least as tough as they used to? The closer I look at a lot of my cards, even some newer grades, a lot of them have rollers that don't seem to be penalized for.

I think that can be chalked up to inconsistency, and possibly inexperienced new graders if they are very recent grades.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #471 on: August 28, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
Welp, I just decided to buy the V600 scanner. It should arrive early this week, and I'll likely get good results from it to show you all.

No more Wacky purchases for me for a while! Probably!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #472 on: August 28, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »
Welp, I just decided to buy the V600 scanner. It should arrive early this week, and I'll likely get good results from it to show you all.

Cool! I bet you don’t regret it.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #473 on: August 28, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »

Look forward to your review, but I think you've got yourself a great new scanner incoming. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Swiski

« Reply #474 on: August 28, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »
I'm still using an old Canon scanner I bought over 10 years ago. Works great! I think the software I'm using for it is what makes my scans so great. I'm using Vue Scan. Lots of really nice fine-tuning pre-scan settings!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #475 on: August 31, 2021, 02:43:39 PM »
Howdy. Just scanned by first card with the V600, looking to see what y'all think.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1062820/wacky-v600-test/p1?new=1

I wish I could get a dark background, but I am not sure how to go about it. I also need a good way of rotating the image if I put the card in at an angle slightly.

Looks pretty good to me, though!

ALSO: I did not use the max DPI settings on the scans. If you think I should, please give a comment. Currently, I am using 1200 DPI.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 03:50:31 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #476 on: August 31, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »
Howdy. Just scanned by first card with the V600, looking to see what y'all think.

I wish I could get a dark background, but I am not sure how to go about it. I also need a good way of rotating the image if I put the card in at an angle slightly.

ALSO: I did not use the max DPI settings on the scans. If you think I should, please give a comment. Currently, I am using 1200 DPI.

The scans are pretty sharp - Alex

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #477 on: September 01, 2021, 07:29:29 AM »
Thank you. Now that I understand how to use it, the scans are quite nice.

I did take a 4800 DPI scan of my PSA 9 Ghoul Humor but I can't upload the image anywhere because the file size is 30 and some odd MB. It's too large.

Regardless, I think the images at 1200 look pretty good. I think I could go slightly higher for PSA's registry, but I'm fine with where it's at now.

I guess I'll try putting a scan on here and see how it looks:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:38:09 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #478 on: September 01, 2021, 08:28:05 AM »
Thank you. Now that I understand how to use it, the scans are quite nice.

I did take a 4800 DPI scan of my PSA 9 Ghoul Humor but I can't upload the image anywhere because the file size is 30 and some odd MB. It's too large.

Regardless, I think the images at 1200 look pretty good. I think I could go slightly higher for PSA's registry, but I'm fine with where it's at now.

I guess I'll try putting a scan on here and see how it looks:

It looks pretty good to me.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #479 on: September 01, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »

For anyone wondering, I am continuing to add some images on this link. I'm not putting all of them there, but some.

Just did a scan of Slum Maid with a dark background. Looks much nicer. The process was quite intuitive; I printed a piece of paper with just black ink on it. And, I put it on the top of the scanner.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #480 on: September 01, 2021, 01:56:45 PM »
I think you will get dark background by leaving lid open in very dark room.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #481 on: September 01, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »
If you get a chance post some scans on the PSA forum, postimage degrades the quality.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #482 on: September 01, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »
I tried leaving the lid open but the image seemed to be less accurate when I did so. My indicator is usually the blue lines on the new flip, and I couldn't see the blue lines.

There's some scans. I'm continuing to add select ones as I go.

By zooming in on the scans, I'm finding defects with these cards that I couldn't see in-person.

Also, is it worth scanning the backs? I plan on trying to fill the digital albums, and without the backs it seems incomplete. However, I hate how the back images make the normal thumbnails smaller on the normal set page.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:38:40 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2021, 02:47:14 PM »
Good photos do the same thing, I see flaws I never noticed with the naked eye.

My only fear with posting back scans is that someone tries to claim that they own the card, though I’m sure you can always thwart that eventually. Come to think of it, older flips don’t have the cert number on the back so that would be moot.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2021, 02:47:58 PM »
Dude, the scans on PSA look stellar! I will see what I can find out about dark backgrounds.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2021, 03:21:33 PM »
One of the CU members produced a scanning guide. Not sure if it would be helpful but here it is…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EumHbtWfBrWebafPHU4a18OgFVdzjffp/view?usp=sharing.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
Wow! Lots of info on that document. I’ll look it over next time I start scanning.

I’ve been using home mode instead of professional… shows how much I know.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2021, 09:10:56 PM »

How the heck did that get PSA7 with those corners?  Is the scan showing the corners accurately?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2021, 04:47:55 AM »
Yes, the corners are shown accurately on all of them I believe.

If you're referring to the Slum Maid, that card would grade a 9 in lieu of the corners. I suspect they deducted two points for it, but there's no way to be sure. I wish they gave reports as to why cards got a certain grade.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »
How the heck did that get PSA7 with those corners?  Is the scan showing the corners accurately?
Those corners are not bent they look like paper loss. 

anything