Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123578 times)

Offline jeffcaff

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #420 on: April 23, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
From the news article.  "We're not eliminating humans from the grading process," he continued. "We're improving the process by adding technology."   I think I have heard this before.  No layoffs.  Don't believe it for a second.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #421 on: April 23, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
Did someone above mention a KOOK AID with eye appeal? No problem, I found one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202904530389?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
LOL, not only is it NOT Scottish (it's crap!), it's not even a 1st series tan, it's a Wonderbread.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
Its interesting they need the fingerprint of an item to stop it from being regraded, that shouldn't be necessary if their AI grading system is so good, it should pick up corrected flaws or should give the same grade over and over for a non modified submitted card, the subjective-ness from human graders being removed.  Trust me, they are going to allow resubmissions because it is $ for them and because with more precision comes more decimals.  If their AI grading system can site differences between two PSA 8's why make them both an 8?  The only question in my mind will be how many grades between 8 and 9 will they create?  thenths, quarters, thirds, halves?  I think they will pick a launching point for decimals like only PSa7 and higher or something.
Interesting point, I don't think they will go the way comics did once it hit a 9.0 (9.2,9.4,9.6 and 9.8).  I do think the half grad is here to stay, in PSA grading standards they do explain why they use half point grades up to 8,5.  I do agree with their assessment of why they do this.  With the AI I think it will stop the resubmitting because of the hoping for the next grade factor will be eliminated.  Now why I like it is I can grade a card really good.  I come usually right on with what PSA grades it.  However I get it graded for many reasons.  1). I love the registry.  No other reason to go on about that point it is totally a subjective point.  2).  I sell the cards to people as I upgrade.  again I go with I know how to grade, bringing Dave into this I know he knows how to grade.  However John Smith from Washington state does not know me.  He has no Ideal why I am asking so much for a card, but with the graded card I have some consistency to offer and peace of mind with my collection to sell as I upgrade.  From what I read of the new owners of PSA (and their other grading services (coin, Paper money Stamps tickets, books) they are going to solidify the services and come back stronger as soon as they catch up from all the submissions.  CGC, is getting inundated with comic books that they are having the same pains that PSA is having.  (personally if psa would make a TGC group separate from cards it would go smoother.) F*&ki&g Pokemon cards gumming up the works.  There is a company, separate from PCGS that you can send a coin to once it is graded, I think it is called CAC.  They will tell you if the coin is at the top end for the grade (green sticker) or if it would be solid in the next grade up ( gold sticker). I am glad that we don't have that, but It makes me wonder not if but when this craze will hit cards.  PWCC already does this in their auctions, this actually is worse than the multitudes of decimals.  Sorry for the run here, just wanted to get the information out there.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2021, 02:37:19 AM »
Since I haven’t posted in a fair bit, here’s two cards that I would not have expected to get in these grades.

I just got the Cap’n Crud. It’s not perfect of course, but I jumped on it because the flaws don’t bother me as much as the fact that I thought I’d never find an 8 again if I passed on it.

The Botch is pretty nice in my opinion though, the centering is only off L to R slightly.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #424 on: July 04, 2021, 06:05:16 AM »
The Botch is great. Centering has never been my obsession, I think it looks fantastic, no tilt is the key for me.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #425 on: July 04, 2021, 06:06:58 AM »
I honestly don’t think I’ve ever, ever seen a Capn Crud that is not cut funny in some way. I don’t think a perfect one exists, and am sure all of the 9s and 10s are still cut funny.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #426 on: July 04, 2021, 06:30:54 AM »
Yeah, Cap'n Cruds are a dime a hogshead for what I've seen. That is why I wasn't too distressed when I found that one on ePay for surprisingly cheap, especially because the last one supposedly sold for $395... which I would never pay, but it isn't what it isn't. I will say that I would have preferred it not being as toned, because that is more avoidable than the inevitable miscut galore.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #427 on: July 04, 2021, 07:11:34 AM »
I will say that I would have preferred it not being as toned, because that is more avoidable than the inevitable miscut galore.

Definitely, that could be partly why it sold for less, but prices fluctuate wildly. It is frustrating when trying to sell stuff, because I see reported sales for more than I am asking for certain cards, yet mine sit.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »

Waiting for PSA to give more reasonable prices to submit this one. And a few others. Planning on looking through my collection to find more stand outs, albeit I likely have very few. Might post more if anyone’s in a need for a fix of minty OS cards.  :D

As usual, pictures don't do it justice. Still haven't figured out a seamless way to get good images.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 11:59:53 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #429 on: August 08, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
How do you folks store graded cards?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #430 on: August 08, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
How do you folks store graded cards?

I just keep them stacked. One stack of series 5 (which I have almost completed), and one stack of everything else.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #431 on: August 11, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »
For my commons There are Boxes designed to hold PSA cards.  For my actual collection I use pelican boxes (knock offs) from Harbor freight. 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #432 on: August 11, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »
For my commons There are Boxes designed to hold PSA cards.  For my actual collection I use pelican boxes (knock offs) from Harbor freight.

They’re on sale!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1061630/apache-4800-cases-25-off-till-8-19
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:26:55 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #433 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:52 AM »
I am sorry, maybe I should put this on another thread, since my wackys aren't slabbed. I clicked on Harbor Freight 4800, it showed like metal James Bond looking briefcase, foam inserts, but it looked like they were specifically for camera and lenses. Do you guys cut the foam?  I have unslabbed cards, so Im just using cardboard baseball card boxes that hold 300 or so, and have those in a plastic lidded bin that came from target. Does anyone here agree with the guy who messaged me saying cards in 9-pocket sleeves in binders can wrinkle or become damaged by light? They are inside binders, so light not hitting them....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:26:11 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: August 11, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »
I am sorry, maybe I should put this on another thread, since my wackys aren't slabbed. I clicked on Harbor Freight 4800, it showed like metal James Bond looking briefcase, foam inserts, but it looked like they were specifically for camera and lenses. Are there specific ones for cards? I have unslabbed cards, so Im just using cardboard baseball card boxes that hold 300 or so, and have those in a plastic lidded bin that came from target. Does anyone here agree with the guy who messaged me saying cards in 9-pocket sleeves in binders can wrinkle or become damaged by light? They are inside binders, so light not hitting them....

Binders can cause Wackys to warp or wrinkle, especially if the ring is round.  My 1-16 was first in a tissue box. then in the Non-Sport Update binders, then in an Ultra Pro D-Ring binder, but I eventually took the special cards out and put them in top loaders (some I submitted for grading). 

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #435 on: August 11, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
Most of my binders are "D" Ring, but a couple are not... What is the issue with "O" Ring binders??? I will replace the "O" ring binders if they are a problem...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:36:33 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
Most of my binders are "D" Ring, but a couple are not... What is the issue with "O" Ring binders??? I will replace the "O" ring binders if they are a problem...

Yes, tan back stickers can gradually become warped in standard 9 pocket pages. And the rings of an O-ring binder can press into the cards in the top sheet and leave an impression over time.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
Man, might have been sitting in three ring binder‘s in the basement for about 20 years… Although without incident.  Can someone refer me to a brand or product name for toploaders???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:15:09 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Man, might have been sitting in three ring binder‘s in the basement for about 20 years… Although without incident.  Can someone refer me to a brand or product name for toploaders???

Ultra Pro Regular Toploaders. Unfortunately their price has gone up by a factor of six or seven since Covid for some supply chain related reason. They are expensive now, like $6 or $7 for a pack of 25.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2021, 03:25:33 PM »
Some say to put them in penny sleeves inside of the top loaders. What is the purpose of that?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2021, 04:26:11 PM »
Some say to put them in penny sleeves inside of the top loaders. What is the purpose of that?

It makes it harder for them to slide around in the top loader and less likely to get damaged (as long as you are careful putting them in the penny sleeve).

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
For the flimsier tan backed wackys, and others, I've also cut up acid free comic book backing boards and slipped those into the pockets with the stickers.
That was a tip from someone on this forum.
A

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2021, 05:38:51 PM »

Going in and out of a top loader can scratch the card, the soft pennys prevent that, with yes, keeping the card from moving.

Jim

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
Ultra Pro Regular Toploaders. Unfortunately their price has gone up by a factor of six or seven since Covid for some supply chain related reason. They are expensive now, like $6 or $7 for a pack of 25.
I have about 500 empty top-loaders and probably a thousand penny sleeves sitting in a box in a closet.  I got rid of all my higher grade stuff and now only have a mid to low grade 1-15 run that I keep in a binder.  I would consider selling them but I know shipping cost might be prohibitive.  If anyone is interested, let me know.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »

These two arrived in the snail mail on Monday. I'll try to get better images and put them on my registry this weekend.

I sent PSA an email with recommendations for changes on three different things, but the largest complaint I made was about the population of the puzzle titles. For some odd reason, PSA doesn't delineate between the stickers and the puzzle pieces. This applies to cards that share titles with the puzzles of course; including Gadzooka, Sugarmess, Beanball, etc. Sootball has that same issue. A PSA 9 is the highest grade for that card, but it doesn't get the top pop designation because there are PSA 10 puzzle pieces. But, that isn't even the worst part. People can put puzzle pieces in their sets in place of the card as far as I know. So, someone can purchase a PSA 10 puzzle piece and it will count as their Sootball in the registry.

As expected, I haven't gotten anything back.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:41:27 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2021, 04:29:48 PM »

These two arrived in the snail mail on Monday. I'll try to get better images and put them on my registry this weekend.

I sent PSA an email with recommendations for changes on three different things, but the largest complaint I made was about the population of the puzzle titles. For some odd reason, PSA doesn't delineate between the stickers and the puzzle pieces. This applies to cards that share titles with the puzzles of course; including Gadzooka, Sugarmess, Beanball, etc. Sootball has that same issue. A PSA is the highest grade for that card, but it doesn't get the top pop designation because there are PSA 10 puzzle pieces. But, that isn't even the worst part. People can put puzzle pieces in their sets in place of the card as far as I know. So, someone can purchase a PSA 10 puzzle piece and it will count as their Sootball in the registry.

As expected, I haven't gotten anything back.

I complained about that exact issue seven years ago. They treat the puzzle pieces just like they treat variations of the sticker (ludlow, white back, tan back, etc.) I explained to them in very clear terms why it makes no sense. They told me very clearly that they had no intention of changing it.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
I hate that also, every time I enter a puzzle piece that is higher than then the sticker it replaces it.  I have to wait a day and I can go back and change it back manually.  It does it correctly though on the Master Set designation, not on the basic designation.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2021, 09:01:00 AM »
I hate that also, every time I enter a puzzle piece that is higher than then the sticker it replaces it.  I have to wait a day and I can go back and change it back manually.  It does it correctly though on the Master Set designation, not on the basic designation.

Thanks - another reason for me to not collect graded puzzle pieces!!!  Upside down slabbing being the other  :-\

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2021, 10:41:34 AM »
How about when they label them wrong i.e its a top left and they write top right

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »
How about when they label them wrong i.e its a top left and they write top right

Geez, that's awful!!  I never looked that closely, I just see the upside down pics on ebay and decide I prefer my puzzles in pages.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:45:43 PM by RawGoo »

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »
     I just have to say and add that it is clearly obvious that PSA does NOT have the appropriate people grading our Wackies. I know I have told them that several times over the years when I have had to re-send and get re-slabbed the mistakes they made, they make all kinds of mistakes on my other non-sports items constantly too. I get excited when I get my packages and they are all correct, I would say per 100 graded they are most likely to screw up about 5 to 10.

Offline Adrian

• If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong
« Reply #451 on: August 17, 2021, 03:59:57 PM »
Has anyone had more luck with SGC?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #452 on: August 21, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

These two just arrived. The Achoo is a new addition to my set, and the Plopsikle is an upgrade. I was fine with my 8, but was afraid it could be a Wonderbread. So, I replaced it with a nice, untoned PSA 9 **!

I would be happy if I could get good images, however. For some reason, I cannot get a head-on image of the Achoo. And, both of them look better in-person anyway. It is what it is. I've been trying to get better images of all my PSA stuff, and I think they are better in general than they used to be - but still not perfect.

But, hey, five away on my 5th series! Two of them should be easier, and the other three are crapshoots.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #453 on: August 21, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
When the card is as wide as your Achoo it’s very difficult to get a good image without the rails casting shadows. Really the way to go is a good flatbed scanner, but I’ve never been sufficiently motivated to take the plunge.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #454 on: August 21, 2021, 01:49:43 PM »
When the card is as wide as your Achoo it’s very difficult to get a good image without the rails casting shadows. Really the way to go is a good flatbed scanner, but I’ve never been sufficiently motivated to take the plunge.

Yes, I have also thought about this. A small amount of research can definitely find the recommended flatbed scanner, however they cost a lot to justify the purchase. I could spend $250 to get good images of my cards, or I could spend $250 to get good cards. The latter is definitely more of an attractive option.